PDA

View Full Version : changing between realism settings

clmooring
October 13th, 2013, 19:06
I have recently purchased some add-on planes (such as the A2A p51 and C172 and the Real Air Duke v2 and legacy). These add-on planes have significantly different FSX settings recommendations; especially realism settings.

Is there anyway to save these settings for the various planes and then switch between the saved settings?

I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong forum or if there is a long posting somewhere explaining this in detail.

thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Tako_Kichi
October 13th, 2013, 21:43
There's no method that I know of. I simply leave my realism sliders full right and learn to fly all my aircraft that way.

Bjoern
October 14th, 2013, 08:03
There is a solution.

Copy your FSX.exe and name it "FSX_A2A.exe" or so, then dial in your regular settings. FSX will create a .cfg file named "FSX_A2A.cfg". Find it in the usual place and do some further tweaking there.
Repeat the process for every configuration you want.

You can also set up a bare bones configuration this way with, say, only one aircraft folder in use, so that you can quickly check out something you've developed.

napamule
October 14th, 2013, 11:29
For 99% of airplanes, a realism setting of MEDIUM works best. I set it there 5 years ago and have LEFT it there ever since. If you want to create different FSX exe for each different handling airplane (as Bjoern says in above post) then you can do that. But what else in involved?

Well you will need a different 'FSX Exe' (shortcut) ICON for each 'profile' you create. And will the P-51 then fly more 'real' with only this setting? I do not think so. There's more to it than that. And not all models of same type are identical as to handling or performance. Not even.

What you also need to do is to set the SENSITIVITIES for your controls. I set mine to 100% Sensitivity, with 0% Null, EXCEPT the throttle, which I set to 95% Sensitivity, and 5% Null (there is a scientific reason for thia-trust me).

The only other 'ingredient' is PILOT SKILL. There is no 'fix' or 'setting' that will provide you with a 'magic bullet'. Only practise, and experience, will help you with that 'predicatment'.
Chuck B
Napamule

bstolle
October 14th, 2013, 11:40
1.For 99% of airplanes, a realism setting of MEDIUM works best. I set it there 5 years ago and have LEFT it there ever since.
2.What you also need to do is to set the SENSITIVITIES for your controls. I set mine to 100% Sensitivity,

1. If you want to experience the correct FDE as it was designed, you have to set the realism settings as intended by the designer.
e.g. none of my FDEs will work as designed with the realism settings at less than fully right.
Having the sliders at medium or lower e.g. can effectively ruin a FDE.
2. The sensitivity slider does nothing else than slow the flight control deflection down. Deflection angle and hence effectiveness stays the same.

napamule
October 15th, 2013, 09:18
Or opinion: 'Having the sliders at medium or lower e.g. can effectively ruin a FDE.'

You have (7) FDEs uploaded here at FSCom, from July 2011 on to June 2013, for FS9 and FSX (a portover). If I use your FDEs with REALISM set to MEDIUM will that make your FDEs 'FAIL' and make the airplane uncontrollable and thus crash, or not perform, where you can't take off and land as usual? It don't seem right, somehow.
Chuck B
Napamule

bstolle
October 15th, 2013, 09:51
I don't see the word 'fail' in my post, let alone in capital letters. You can of course set the realism sliders to medium or minimum but don't expect the plane to perform and handle as it should in that case. That's all I wrote.
Apparently you are already happy if you can just somehow take off and land without crashing, but in that case it certainly doesn't matter what your realism settings are.