PDA

View Full Version : Licensing

centuryseries
October 12th, 2013, 12:40
I see at http://www.prepar3d.com/product-overview/prepar3d-license-comparison/ that you are not allowed to purchase it for personal use?

So how would one acquire it for personal use as an entertainment product?!?

luckydog
October 12th, 2013, 14:15
What's REALLY bad is when you buy it for instructional purposes and find it entertaining. Your computer automatically blows up.........

LD

Lionheart
October 12th, 2013, 15:28
Yep.. I accidentally had fun and my account was closed... three times. I now must be totally serious when I fly in it.

Only had one explode though, a laptop. Antique Alienware. Was a nice computer though. :S

java2srv
October 12th, 2013, 17:32
I am educated best when I find the instruction is entertaining. Got my PPL back in my teens from a P-47 & F-104 pilot -- now that was entertaining.

No matter how entertaining you find P3D -- you'll find it instructional as well. :wiggle:

MCDesigns
October 12th, 2013, 21:17
I see at http://www.prepar3d.com/product-overview/prepar3d-license-comparison/ that you are not allowed to purchase it for personal use?

technically you are correct, BUT LM are talking/listening to the community, and several big devs are supporting P3D, but it is basically do what you want to do that falls in line with your own ethics knowing that the situation could change at any minute, it's what I plan to do.

Lionheart
October 12th, 2013, 21:21
Just remember.... If.... you 'do' decide to have fun, turn off your cell phones, disconnect your land lines, lock your door, close the curtains, and turn on the house alarm. Just in case. If they do get in and check your face, just don't look like you have been smiling.

Seriously though, when I was 'really' flying with friends that could log time for me, I never had so much fun.

centuryseries
October 13th, 2013, 02:07
Just remember.... If.... you 'do' decide to have fun, turn off your cell phones, disconnect your land lines, lock your door, close the curtains, and turn on the house alarm. Just in case. If they do get in and check your face, just don't look like you have been smiling.

Seriously though, when I was 'really' flying with friends that could log time for me, I never had so much fun.

Hahahahaha! :icon_lol:

Robert John
October 16th, 2013, 11:19
Reply to thread posted at fsdeveloper forum.

I think this thread should also be closed.

Hi Robert.

The right place to gather info about any restrictions on P3D usage would be at the prepare3D website:

http://www.prepar3d.com/

Our indications are that Lockheed-Martin will NOT answer any questions about EULAs, terms of use or restrictions. They are more sick of it than we are.

If they will not answer your inquiries in a timely manner, then you might assume they do not plan on enforcing any restrictions. Then again, they might...

An academic license costs $49.95, as I recall. If you buy such a license, and then find they revoke it, you would loose $49.95... that would be your level of risk for using their educational tool for personal entertainment.

Version 2.0 will be released soon. So if you decide to purchase the academic license, whether for the intended use or not, you might want to wait for that version.

I don't think I can state this any clearer, and further discussion on this topic would be beyond the scope of this website. So I am closing the thread.

Dick

Phantom88
October 16th, 2013, 14:59
Psst.Can you keep a secret??............I tear the tags off my Mattresses.

Skyhawk_310R
October 16th, 2013, 18:40

Kind of sad to see the sorts of responses you got. You asked a legitimate question and I think you deserve to receive a fair and objective response. So, I will try.

The LM Prepar3D EULA says that you can use it for personal use provided it is educational in nature. For example, I can purchase the standard licensed product for personal use as an educational and training tool for my own real world flying. The product was originally developed as a low cost PC-based platform for customized training simulators such as LM builds and has already built where I work. Note: I worked a brief time as a beta tester for the product since I work for LM.

What you are not supposed to do is use the product for entertainment purposes, despite the whimsical replies you have received here. This is because LM is under a contractual agreement with Microsoft to avoid selling Prepar3D in competition with sales of FSX. Prepar3D is a development of the commercial version of FSX that Microsoft started but then sort of abandoned before they licensed it to Lockheed Martin.

The simple truth, despite what so many others here would tell you, is that you are not supposed to purchase Prepar3D for personal entertainment use. Schools are allowed to purchase the educational license for a reduced price to encourage them to use them as base level flight simulators as part of their curriculum of instruction.

One more truth, no one here has the slightest idea what LM or Microsoft will or won't do regarding violations of the Prepar3D EULA, which I think are clearly widespread. I don't know either, but at least I admit that to you. I work for LM but in an entirely different department and not the folks developing this software. I completely wish this whole tedious nonsense would end and MS would stop being silly and lift their contractual limits off LM's product. I see no reason why Prepar3D should not be used for entertainment. After all, the line between training and entertainment is blurred anyway. I mean who really wants to train to do something they find no fun in doing!

And if you cannot find any fun in aviation, then there's something wrong with you! LOL!! So, obviously entertainment naturally comes as part of the education and training. But, I hope my reply has helped you make an informed choice.

Cheers,

Ken

Skyhawk_310R
October 16th, 2013, 18:45
Psst.Can you keep a secret??............I tear the tags off my Mattresses.

You do know that that law referenced on the tags only applies to the manufacturers and resellers?

Ken

luckydog
October 16th, 2013, 19:46
Thanks, Ken........

Don't know what we'd do without ya !!!

LD

Phantom88
October 17th, 2013, 09:50
You do know that that law referenced on the tags only applies to the manufacturers and resellers?

Ken

DARN!!!!!.......and I always considered myself a Rebel!!!:icon_lol:

Skyhawk_310R
October 19th, 2013, 08:02
Thanks, Ken........

Don't know what we'd do without ya !!!

LD

Yeah, well, most likely whatever you wanted to do in the first place!

But, your reply is noted.

Ken

Skyhawk_310R
October 19th, 2013, 08:03
DARN!!!!!.......and I always considered myself a Rebel!!!:icon_lol:

Indeed! I did like the Far Side cartoon about that!

Ken

rhumbaflappy
October 19th, 2013, 08:29
from the LM P3D forum, by WBard, the P3D software manager ( the horse's mouth ):

Quote from WBard on October 18, 2013, 10:52
As you can see above, any post referencing any sidestepping or inferring anyone is not abiding by the EULA or using Prepar3D in ways it is not licensed to be used will not be tolerated. Those who have, this is a final warning.

We sincerely enjoyed the discussions we had here, and enjoyed answering a lot of your questions, but we will be going very dutifully back to work on v2 now.

Anyone mentioning feeling deceived or that we're not listening or sampling users for feedback, etc, please wait until you get the final product if you choose to buy it to pass judgement. We had very valid business reasons for doing our new fullscreen modes, and in the process of doing it fixed around 17 issues that were reported by users on this very forum.

This is a small part of the reason we don't comment publicly on features or releases until they are actually released, as v2 is still in development and comments and features may change.

They will not discuss EULAs or violations of EULAs on their forum. They are sick of it. Seriously, the only risk you take by purchasing the upcoming version2 P3d is the money you spend to buy an Academic license for it... probably $49.95. They are hoping for complete backward compatibility with FSX addons ( which we bought for entertainment purposes only ).

The real questions would be: Why do some people get fascinated by EULAs or terms of use of software products they have no connection to? Lockheed-Martin doesn't want to hear about it, so why should we want to hear about it?

In addition, wagging the finger about a EULA violation is about the best example of hypocrisy in this community I can think of. 99% of all our FS addons are made using tools that depend on backwardly-engineered knowledge... a clear violation of the terms of usage from Microsoft. Tell this to Microsoft, and they won't even respond.

So, the holy among us can destroy all their addons and then continue to use FS9 or FSX for entertainment. The rest of us can migrate to P3D and enjoy our damnation as honest violators of corporate legalese.

Dick

centuryseries
October 22nd, 2013, 11:08
Kind of sad to see the sorts of responses you got. You asked a legitimate question and I think you deserve to receive a fair and objective response. So, I will try.

The LM Prepar3D EULA says that you can use it for personal use provided it is educational in nature. For example, I can purchase the standard licensed product for personal use as an educational and training tool for my own real world flying. The product was originally developed as a low cost PC-based platform for customized training simulators such as LM builds and has already built where I work. Note: I worked a brief time as a beta tester for the product since I work for LM.

What you are not supposed to do is use the product for entertainment purposes, despite the whimsical replies you have received here. This is because LM is under a contractual agreement with Microsoft to avoid selling Prepar3D in competition with sales of FSX. Prepar3D is a development of the commercial version of FSX that Microsoft started but then sort of abandoned before they licensed it to Lockheed Martin.

The simple truth, despite what so many others here would tell you, is that you are not supposed to purchase Prepar3D for personal entertainment use. Schools are allowed to purchase the educational license for a reduced price to encourage them to use them as base level flight simulators as part of their curriculum of instruction.

One more truth, no one here has the slightest idea what LM or Microsoft will or won't do regarding violations of the Prepar3D EULA, which I think are clearly widespread. I don't know either, but at least I admit that to you. I work for LM but in an entirely different department and not the folks developing this software. I completely wish this whole tedious nonsense would end and MS would stop being silly and lift their contractual limits off LM's product. I see no reason why Prepar3D should not be used for entertainment. After all, the line between training and entertainment is blurred anyway. I mean who really wants to train to do something they find no fun in doing!

And if you cannot find any fun in aviation, then there's something wrong with you! LOL!! So, obviously entertainment naturally comes as part of the education and training. But, I hope my reply has helped you make an informed choice.

Cheers,

Ken

Hi Ken

Thanks for the most sensible reply of the bunch. I did originally ask the question in a fairly serious manner as I would like to verify if my work will be compatible with it - I guess for that reason it won't be for entertainment!

TuFun
October 23rd, 2013, 14:46
We can't interpret the EULA for you, but it is pretty self explanatory. If you're using it for learning, simulation, training, those are acceptable uses. If you're using it for personal entertainment, that is not an acceptable use. Thanks for the interested and support of Prepar3D!

WBard Lockheed Martin
Software Manager - Prepar3DŽ Team

I'm going to use it for simulation!

italoc
October 24th, 2013, 07:57
We can't interpret the EULA for you, but it is pretty self explanatory. If you're using it for learning, simulation, training, those are acceptable uses. If you're using it for personal entertainment, that is not an acceptable use. Thanks for the interested and support of Prepar3D!

WBard Lockheed Martin
Software Manager - Prepar3DŽ Team

I'm going to use it for simulation!

Me too :salute:

Italo

Lionheart
October 24th, 2013, 10:20
Well guys, that is two pages of input concerning a subject that has already been covered in several places for a long time now. I think we cannot beat up this subject any more. Im closing the thread. Cant see it doing any more good.

:salute: