PDA

View Full Version : Ron Dennis steps down

lefty
January 16th, 2009, 11:48
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7833402.stm

(We'll see.........)

(But he'll get a nice retirement card from Wombat, no doubt)

Ferry_vO
January 16th, 2009, 12:12
Ron may be a somewhat controversial caracter, but he did make McLaren one of the top three F1 teams of all time. He managed to get the best drivers, engine and sponsor deals (Well, most of the time..). Too bad his career was tainted by the spy affair of 2007, but at least he has won a title in his last full season.

:)

wombat666
January 16th, 2009, 23:57
He was a miserable chit when I first came across him 1972 at the Brabham 'factory'.
Neil Trundle (his partner in Rondel racing) was a nice bloke, but Dennis was a most unpleasant person, very grumpy because Ron Taurenac refused him precendence over us.
Our car had been orderd and paid for three months earlier and we were fellow Aussies as well ........... :kilroy:

I don't really credit him with anything much more than the 'Commercial' side at McLaren, John Barnard was the technical genius and having Lauda, Wattie, Prost and Senna on board swept the into the top slot.

The one and only 'Ron Dennis Moment' that I have any regard for was his commitment to Mikka the Fling Finn, taking care of him after Adelaide 1995 and getting him back in a car for Melbourne 1996.

Bottom line is simple, Ron Dennis looked after Ron Dennis, nothing more, nothing less.
:wave: