PDA

View Full Version : FSX Everglades are beautiful

phantomx1
October 5th, 2013, 18:15
I'm sort of new to FSX and went flying low through the everglades and was surprised to see that many parts of that area is real FSX water and is landable with a small float ultralight.

I found a Free Flow Florida boat pack (FS9) that has ai airboats that are placed in a lot of places around the everglades which works well in FSX.

I have only found one reference to a pilotable airboat that was put out for download but it seems that airboat has disappeared from the inet.

Was thinking it would be fun to drive an airboat throught the everglades. Anyone know where a pilotable one might be, there seems to be not one available?

PS: I am very impressed with how the FSX designers have done with the Everglades swamp. They look very realistic from the air and from ground level.

heywooood
October 5th, 2013, 18:24
ya know - a nice airboat would be fun in FSX - in a lot of places

phantomx1
October 5th, 2013, 18:57
ya know - a nice airboat would be fun in FSX - in a lot of places

In the Free Flow Florida ai boat download there are two ai airboat models but I don't know how to make them pilotable. They look nice and would fill the purpose of cruising through the glades if made drivable. As ai they even drive over dry terrain.

They have a model folder, texture folder, an ai airfile and a n aircraft cfg but that's it.

What is needed to make an ai model pilotable?

napamule
October 6th, 2013, 03:58
Hello,
I have Mike Richards swamp boat in FS9 and FSX. I don't know where you can download his zip file, but I can provide a cfg and air file that you can use with the AI 'air boat' to make it 'pilotable'. I emailed Mike, but have not been in contact with him since I left Munch Brothers (2008?). The site does not exist anymore. I am sure they had it for download there. Can't find it at FSCom or Simviation. Might be at AvSim (I am not member-can't search). I don't have the original zip either, just the extracted folders and files within.

I tried it out in the Everglades, about 10 miles East of X51 (Homestead FLA). Has good wake, no splash (due to big frame hit), and good water sounds, in FSX. It jams at 80 kts (water and land) and has 'water brakes' (spoiler) for quick stop and for help in manuvering as it does do 'side slip' on turns (hey, it's a boat). Had to turn down auto gen to 'Normal' to reduce the number of trees so I could find a 'gap' (between trees). And, no use trying it in FS9, as there is no water in the FS9 'Everglades' like in FSX. FS9 only has land.

If I get an ok from Mike I will zip the files up and provide the whole thing in a zip for downloading. Cheers.
Chuck B
Napamule

FSX68
October 6th, 2013, 05:00
Hello,
I have Mike Richards swamp boat in FS9 and FSX. I don't know where you can download his zip file, but I can provide a cfg and air file that you can use with the AI 'air boat' to make it 'pilotable'. I emailed Mike, but have not been in contact with him since I left Munch Brothers (2008?). The site does not exist anymore. I am sure they had it for download there. Can't find it at FSCom or Simviation. Might be at AvSim (I am not member-can't search). I don't have the original zip either, just the extracted folders and files within.

I tried it out in the Everglades, about 10 miles East of X51 (Homestead FLA). Has good wake, no splash (due to big frame hit), and good water sounds, in FSX. It jams at 80 kts (water and land) and has 'water brakes' (spoiler) for quick stop and for help in manuvering as it does do 'side slip' on turns (hey, it's a boat). Had to turn down auto gen to 'Normal' to reduce the number of trees so I could find a 'gap' (between trees). And, no use trying it in FS9, as there is no water in the FS9 'Everglades' like in FSX. FS9 only has land.

If I get an ok from Mike I will zip the files up and provide the whole thing in a zip for downloading. Cheers.
Chuck B
Napamule

That would be cool..... :applause:

GaryGB
October 6th, 2013, 06:02
Hi Chuck:

I found this (older) forum thread with info on the airboat by Mike Richards (aka "mikrco"):

http://forums.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb25/YaBB.pl?num=1271105219/3

Apparently Mike had already ported his airboat over to FSX as well; these water craft are great fun to pilot over water (and land) ! :icon_lol:

I would also enjoy seeing this excellent pilot-able watercraft from Mike become available again; thanks for your efforts to contact the author. :applause:

BTW: I also tried making the FSX default airboat SimObject pilot-able with a hybrid Aircraft / SimObject configuration file with limited success (the axes of the joystick are interpreted incorrectly).

I'd greatly appreciate any insights you might share on how your SimObject configuration file is coded for the FSX default "airboat".

Regards,

GaryGB

Dangerous Beans
October 6th, 2013, 06:11
To make an AI plane/boat pilot-able you should just need to add a PANEL folder and CFG. You can borrow one from one of the default planes, I guess the AirCreation Trike one would do the job for an air boat.
You might need a SOUND folder and CFG too but I'm not certain about that.

It wont have a VC but you can edit the panel.cfg to add or remove whatever gauges you need.

FSX68
October 6th, 2013, 07:08
Hi Chuck:

I found this forum thread with info on the airboat by Mike Richards (aka "mikrco"):

http://forums.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb25/YaBB.pl?num=1271105219/3

Apparently Mike had already ported his airboat over to FSX as well; these water craft is great fun to pilot over water (and land) ! :icon_lol:

I would also enjoy seeing this excellent pilot-able watercraft from Mike become available again; thanks for your efforts to contact the author. :applause:

Regards,

GaryGB

Gary,

I saw that link earlier and noted that the "Bubba Boat" was to be posted at FSnorthwest .com - a now defunct web page and company.

BTW: I also tried making the FSX default airboat SimObject pilot-able with a hybrid Aircraft / SimObject configuration file with limited success (the axes of the joystick are interpreted incorrectly).

I'd greatly appreciate any insights you might share on how your SimObject configuration file is coded for the FSX default "airboat".

MCDesigns
October 6th, 2013, 08:13
You can get Mike's FSX gator bait airboat at Misty Moorings in the marina freeware section
http://return.mistymoorings.com/moorings/#d

I liked the FS9 version better, but this one is still fun. It uses the cub sounds so make sure you install it in airplanes instead of boats

MCDesigns
October 6th, 2013, 08:46
YOU GUYS SUCK!! :icon_lol: I hadn't ever thought of checking out the Everglades till now, what a cool place and being a scenery person, I have to then check if there are ways to make any default area better, more realistic which usually gets me in trouble as it takes away from any project I am working on (missed commercial deadlines because of it, LOL). needless to say there is good sat imagery for the Everglades and the airpark and thinking of how much fun it might be cruisling thru the real deal (especially how cool the photoreal water will look under FSX water) with some tall grasses and animated gators (which I have), UUUUGGGGHHHHHH! It's now on my project list dang it!

I have MSEV2 Florida but haven't had the time to d/l and install, but I know it covers the Everglades from the images, but I wonder if the developer took the time to do the water mask for all of it, or just go around it, anyone have MSE Florida that can check?

FSX68
October 6th, 2013, 08:49
You can get Mike's FSX gator bait airboat at Misty Moorings in the marina freeware section

I liked the FS9 version better, but this one is still fun. It uses the cub sounds so make sure you install it in airplanes instead of boats

Thanks for the Link :applause:

modelr
October 6th, 2013, 09:15
YOU GUYS SUCK!! :icon_lol: I hadn't ever thought of checking out the Everglades till now, what a cool place and being a scenery person, I have to then check if there are ways to make any default area better, more realistic which usually gets me in trouble as it takes away from any project I am working on (missed commercial deadlines because of it, LOL). needless to say there is good sat imagery for the Everglades and the airpark and thinking of how much fun it might be cruisling thru the real deal (especially how cool the photoreal water will look under FSX water) with some tall grasses and animated gators (which I have), UUUUGGGGHHHHHH! It's now on my project list dang it!

I have MSEV2 Florida but haven't had the time to d/l and install, but I know it covers the Everglades from the images, but I wonder if the developer took the time to do the water mask for all of it, or just go around it, anyone have MSE Florida that can check?

Sorry, Mike, I just finished downloading it, but don't have it installed, yet. Need to save it to disk first, so I have room on the drive.

The few MSEV2 states I have installed so far are BEAUTIFUL! My Iowa one shows my house very plainly, along with our R/C field and my work place plainly enough I can see my old truck in the parking lot. Unfortunately, the photos used are a couple years old, just to let everyone know. In my home area's case, they are 3 years old. They show the road upgrade just outside of town still under construction. It has been open for just over three years now.

Also, mine show no hit on frames in my installation.

Don

Butcherbird17
October 6th, 2013, 09:27
Michael, Thanks for the link to the fsx airboat.
Although you wouldn't see an airboat like that down here. It looks more like one you'd see in Louisiana swamps.
But I wouldn't say there isn't one like that down here, just I've never seen one. I have spent many of day's and
nights in the Everglades on airboats and had my fair share of getting the dang things unstuck when they use to
lower the water levels. (NOT FUN):icon_lol: There are alot of camps out there, and some are pretty famous around here
for the illegal doings of the 70's and early 80's. The camp I go to (rebuilt and added too) has been here since 1946
and even has an old (looks like ww2 surplus) generator, although it does not work. A friend of mine has pics of a
Cessna 172 that landed on the head and had to use the airboats to pull it out of the mud, the pilot did fly it out too.

Here is what airboats down here look like: (just a pic from the net)

Joe

orionll
October 6th, 2013, 09:38
To make an AI plane/boat pilot-able you should just need to add a PANEL folder and CFG. You can borrow one from one of the default planes, I guess the AirCreation Trike one would do the job for an air boat.
You might need a SOUND folder and CFG too but I'm not certain about that.

It wont have a VC but you can edit the panel.cfg to add or remove whatever gauges you need.

This is almost correct, but you also need one important entry in then FSX.CFG: adding the SimObject category (e.g. Boat or GroundVehicle) to the User Objects line. See this tutorial for more information: http://www.strikingsoftware.com/forum/index.php?topic=1167.0.

beana51
October 6th, 2013, 09:43
Thank You Michael..Great site..Here in the Bone Yard ,I am about one hour from the mighty everglades...A Strange Pr-Historic World..With Gators,and all kinds of Tropical Birds...It grows on some...Big Cyprus Seminole Reservation...Big Cyprus Park,and The Everglades..Yes The Air Boats all over the place.Here the big news is the Invasion of Introduced species...The Burmese Python ,notably a great threat..I tell ya Michael ,SKYTOP its not!!..<label for="rb_iconid_24">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif</label>...Thanx My Friend!!...Vin

napamule
October 6th, 2013, 11:22
I made a short video (2:09) showing the Bubba Boat in Everglades, East of Homestead Field (X51). The dusk video is the same video 'instant replay' as day time. I just made it 'dusk'. You can do that to instant replay, you know. Otherwise I would run into trees I could not see.

I also had to reduce the number of trees by changing Auto Gen from 'Dense' to 'Normal'. Otherwise there are no 'gaps' between trees.

GaryGB: I am waiting for Mike to return email with 'ok'. Your forum post was from 2010 (ie: out dated). I am not sure if I have the FS9 or the FSX version. But it doesn't matter as you would only want it in FSX because only FSX has real Everglades 'swamp' land (ie: wet ground). FS9 doesn't have any 'wet land' in Everglades. Here is video link: http://youtu.be/JMXbtm_vI_A .
Chuck B
Napamule
PS: Edit: The correct entry in Cfg is 'Category=Airplane'. No need to make it a boat, per se. It has 'gear' (type 1 cnt pts) so it can go on land and not get stuck. This also makes it 'eligable' for 'Push Back'. Gear also retracts if you want to 'beach' it on waters edge.

phantomx1
October 6th, 2013, 11:25

Thanks very much Michael for the link. That a good looking airboat too!

Man an airboat in FS is a very rare model subject for FS!

I'm still going to try my hand at making the FFF ai airboat pilotable. And thanks to the others for the input info on how to make an ai model pilotable.

phantomx1
October 6th, 2013, 12:28
Wow, this is a very interesting fun, not to take interest away from FSX' aviation aspect, but this is a fun new way to play in FSX. I absolutely love swamps in real life. I think they are beautiful.

With this FSnorthwest airboat and putting the Free Flight Florida ai airboats in FSX, one can now choose Florida, then Everglades, then airboat 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,or 9 and the FSnorthwest airboat as your plane, and hit Go Fly and you start off right in the vicenity of the FFF ai airboat and if you wait a few minutes after circling to locate your FFF ai airboat, the ai airboat will crank up and then you can both head out on an airboat cruise together through the glades.

And you may notice that the water effects for the FSnorthwest airboat is much too heavy and will cause some frame-rate hits.

The way I got around that is if you have the Luscombe floatplane effects just \\ out the FSnorthwest effects (all of it) and copy and paste in the Luscombe Floatplane effects section into the FSnorthwest airboat cfg file.

Very impressed with this new fun! And you get an ai airboat friend to run through the glades with. Neeto! :jump: :applause:

And thanks to Microsoft FSX for their beatiful rendition of the Everglades!

MCDesigns
October 6th, 2013, 12:52
Wow, this is a very interesting fun, not to take interest away from FSX' aviation aspect, but this is a fun new way to play in FSX. I absolutely love swamps in real life. I think they are beautiful..........

yep, I always laugh at those that get on forums and say "it's a FLIGHT simulator, you should never leave the cockpit, blah, blah, blah, LOL", for me it is a world simulator, I have sailed around the Hawaiian islands in real time, I have simulated parachute drops, I have done space flights, I drive all over the place, I even ride a horse in the backcountry, lots of different ways to enjoy the sim.

napamule
October 6th, 2013, 13:10
+1 here. Those are the same people that will argue all day that a tomato is a 'fruit' and not a 'vegetable'. Then when they eat it they get acid reflux and a stomach ache (ha!). Serves them right. Can't enjoy anything. Won't let you enjoy things, either. I have been driving vehicles since FS98 (although never as good as FS9 and FSX) since 2004? And it's all possible due to tweaking of contact points. So 'science' is involved. It's not all computer graphics (like video games). They (gamers) are just jealous, that's all.
Chuck B
Napamule

ShawnG
October 6th, 2013, 17:23
I always wanted an fsx kayak to paddle the lakes in AK

JoeW
October 7th, 2013, 08:53
I don't know what MSE Florida V2 is but it sounds like FREEflow Florida V2 that Bob Brown and I did just as FREEflow was being founded.
Florida V2.0 was the first scenery to be made for FSX. We converted V1.0 to make it comply with FSX. V2 did not have the coastlines and waterways that were in FREEflow Florida.

Paul Anderson
October 7th, 2013, 16:00
Years ago (30?) I took a bike trip to Florida (kicked out of work, told I had to use my vacation time), stopped at Naples. Nice place, continued to to the keys (eventually returned to Naples for a couple weeks).
Was March, got frost bite and sunburn on the same trip.
Going across alligator alley was so boring I fell asleep, woke when I ran into the rut along side the road (good thing was not near a culvert).
Shook me up enough I stopped at the first place, a general store/bait/tackle shop.
Also had airboat ride through the swamp, I jumped at the chance.
Never regretted it, on the way back my eyes were peeled for gators and anything else, gave me a new outlook.

When the FSX airboat showed up at FSNorthwest, I grabbed it and virtually headed back to Florida.
Still a favourite vehicle for the area.
I substituted the sound for (I think FS9) Icon A5, sounds closer to what I remember.
Guess I'll have to go looking for some detailed Florida scenery now.

napamule
October 8th, 2013, 11:11
I have FSX Acceleration, so I 'borrowed' the FSX's default DHC2 Beaver sound and it works good. I also used it in FS9 and it is ok there, too. Why get 30 mb of sound when you can reap some of the perks and use the default stuff (is only 10 mb).

I took a break yesterday, but have 'New' FDEs for the FS9 'Air Boat 1' and FSX 'FSX Air Boat'. The FS9 'Air Boat 1' works in FSX. The FS9 version is 'Bubba's Blue' and the FSX version of the air boat is 'Gator Bait'. Gator Bait won't work in FS9 due to model/texture (*.dds). It will be later today as I have an appointment at 2 pm. It is final. Just have to 'clean up' (ie: remove notes) and zip it up. I will then send to Mike Richards (the author) and he will decide where he will upload to. Stand by.
Chuck B
Napamule

FSX68
October 8th, 2013, 11:46

And maybe for a little more realism you could add a few crocks out there in the Swamp submerged with just their eyes above water and at night (here is the cool part) those eyes could
be lit up with a bit of glowing red. Nice premise yes? A few croaking frog noises and the usual swam noises. That would do the Duck Dynasty proud. :icon_lol:

FSX68
October 8th, 2013, 11:57
I made a short video (2:09) showing the Bubba Boat in Everglades, East of Homestead Field (X51). The dusk video is the same video 'instant replay' as day time. I just made it 'dusk'. You can do that to instant replay, you know. Otherwise I would run into trees I could not see.

I also had to reduce the number of trees by changing Auto Gen from 'Dense' to 'Normal'. Otherwise there are no 'gaps' between trees.

GaryGB: I am waiting for Mike to return email with 'ok'. Your forum post was from 2010 (ie: out dated). I am not sure if I have the FS9 or the FSX version. But it doesn't matter as you would only want it in FSX because only FSX has real Everglades 'swamp' land (ie: wet ground). FS9 doesn't have any 'wet land' in Everglades. Here is video link: http://youtu.be/JMXbtm_vI_A .
Chuck B
Napamule
PS: Edit: The correct entry in Cfg is 'Category=Airplane'. No need to make it a boat, per se. It has 'gear' (type 1 cnt pts) so it can go on land and not get stuck. This also makes it 'eligable' for 'Push Back'. Gear also retracts if you want to 'beach' it on waters edge.

I have a version made by M. Allen Richards, now whose version are you talking about making the changes to or is that another version of a swamp boat?

napamule
October 9th, 2013, 10:36
Well, I guess you want pictures of the liveries involved? I just happen to have some. Shows them in FSX as FS9 does not have 'swamp' (wet) land. Just dry land. No point in running an 'air boat' on dry land!
Chuck B
Napamule

napamule
October 11th, 2013, 17:10
The 'New & Improved' FS9 and FSX Air Boat files (zip) are available for download. They are an improvement all around compared to the original Air Boat flight dynamics (sorry Mike). But you have to try them to see. Shoot up a narrow, winding, river and find out if you like. Cheers.
Chuck B
Napamule
PS: Get them while you can as I THOUGHT I was given 'OK' (but perhaps I mis-understood) by Mr Richards and they might get removed. We'll see.

FSX68
October 11th, 2013, 17:29
The 'New & Improved' FS9 and FSX Air Boat files (zip) are available for download. They are an improvement all around compared to the original Air Boat flight dynamics (sorry Mike). But you have to try them to see. Shoot up a narrow, winding, river and find out if you like. Cheers.
Chuck B
Napamule
PS: Get them while you can as I THOUGHT I was given 'OK' (but perhaps I mis-understood) by Mr Richards and they might get removed. We'll see.

Get 'em Where?

modelr
October 11th, 2013, 18:49
I don't know what MSE Florida V2 is but it sounds like FREEflow Florida V2 that Bob Brown and I did just as FREEflow was being founded.
Florida V2.0 was the first scenery to be made for FSX. We converted V1.0 to make it comply with FSX. V2 did not have the coastlines and waterways that were in FREEflow Florida.

MegaSceneryEarth V2.0 High res photo scenery

napamule
October 12th, 2013, 08:41
Gents,
They say 'haste makes waste' and it's true. In my haste to upload I seem to have made a couple of 'wastes'. Here is what I KNOW will make the boat behave much better. It was sitting too low in water, for one. The other prob was it crashed with cnt pts I uploaded. The Cfg for all the air boat I uploaded are IDENTICAL. So this update is for FS9 air boat and FSX air boat. Cheers.

//MOI's
empty_weight_roll_MOI= 13300.000
empty_weight_pitch_MOI= 25560.000
empty_weight_yaw_MOI= 48800.000
empty_weight_coupled_MOI=0.000
---------------------------------------------------------
[contact_points]
point.0=1, 7.480, -3.500, -4.880, 14500, 0, 2.000, 42.0, 1.000, 1.1, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000, 0.000
point.1=1, 7.480, 3.500, -4.880, 14500, 0, 2.000, 42.0, 1.000, 1.1, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000, 0.000
point.2=1, -9.000, -3.500, -4.860, 14500, 1, 2.000, 0.0, 1.000, 1.1, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000, 2.000
point.3=1, -9.000, 3.500, -4.860, 14500, 2, 2.000, 0.0, 1.000, 1.1, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000, 3.000
point.4=4, 7.680, -3.300, -4.136, 14500, 0, 0.512, 0.0, 0.440, 3.5, 1.000, 0.000, 0.000, 1.000
point.5=4, 7.680, 3.300, -4.136, 14500, 0, 0.512, 0.0, 0.440, 3.5, 1.000, 0.000, 0.000, 1.000
point.6=4, -10.00, -3.200, -4.136, 14500, 0, 0.512, 40.0, 0.450, 3.5, 1.000, 0.000, 0.000, 1.000
point.7=4, -10.00, 3.200, -4.136, 14500, 0, 0.512, 40.0, 0.450, 3.5, 1.000, 0.000, 0.000, 1.000
max_number_of_points=14
static_pitch=0.000
static_cg_height=4.180 //o=0.000000
gear_system_type=0

Hope you like. Enjoy.
Chuck B
Napamule

FSX68
October 12th, 2013, 09:16
Gents,
They say 'haste makes waste' and it's true. In my haste to upload I seem to have made a couple of 'wastes'. Here is what I KNOW will make the boat behave much better. It was sitting too low in water, for one. The other prob was it crashed with cnt pts I uploaded. The Cfg for all the air boat I uploaded are IDENTICAL. So this update is for FS9 air boat and FSX air boat. Cheers.

//MOI's
empty_weight_roll_MOI= 13300.000
empty_weight_pitch_MOI= 25560.000
empty_weight_yaw_MOI= 48800.000
empty_weight_coupled_MOI=0.000
---------------------------------------------------------
[contact_points]
point.0=1, 7.480, -3.500, -4.880, 14500, 0, 2.000, 42.0, 1.000, 1.1, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000, 0.000
point.1=1, 7.480, 3.500, -4.880, 14500, 0, 2.000, 42.0, 1.000, 1.1, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000, 0.000
point.2=1, -9.000, -3.500, -4.860, 14500, 1, 2.000, 0.0, 1.000, 1.1, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000, 2.000
point.3=1, -9.000, 3.500, -4.860, 14500, 2, 2.000, 0.0, 1.000, 1.1, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000, 3.000
point.4=4, 7.680, -3.300, -4.136, 14500, 0, 0.512, 0.0, 0.440, 3.5, 1.000, 0.000, 0.000, 1.000
point.5=4, 7.680, 3.300, -4.136, 14500, 0, 0.512, 0.0, 0.440, 3.5, 1.000, 0.000, 0.000, 1.000
point.6=4, -10.00, -3.200, -4.136, 14500, 0, 0.512, 40.0, 0.450, 3.5, 1.000, 0.000, 0.000, 1.000
point.7=4, -10.00, 3.200, -4.136, 14500, 0, 0.512, 40.0, 0.450, 3.5, 1.000, 0.000, 0.000, 1.000
max_number_of_points=14
static_pitch=0.000
static_cg_height=4.180 //o=0.000000
gear_system_type=0

Hope you like. Enjoy.
Chuck B
Napamule

Chuck

I sent you a PM about the settings.

FSX68
October 12th, 2013, 10:03
I have "borrowed" some of the effects files and one from the grumman goose in order to create a better wake effect (IMO) then before.
I have combined some effects from the first airboat and the contact points from the 1st Aircraft.cfg and merged them into the 2nd aircrat.cfg file.

I have the best of both worlds in that the boat isn't sinking or taking on water like in the boat and the spray effects from the goose were added to the newer
aircraft.cfg file:

http://i43.tinypic.com/1zy7x52.jpg

A much better looking wake effect I think.

If you want the aircraft.cfg file that combines some of the 1st boat with the 2nd (latest) here ya go:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/b35bec54c14g5j2/aircraft.cfg

FSX68
October 13th, 2013, 14:52
Neither of the boats will not restart with CRTL + E. When I shut them down and let the props come to a full stop and then CTRL + E, nothing happens.