PDA

View Full Version : The Color Of The Marine SBDs At Midway?

casey jones
January 16th, 2009, 08:58
I proberly wrote this a long while ago...but if anyone knows or has a picture of the Marine SBDs at Midway...what color or markings did they have?

Thank You/Cheers

Casey

DauntlessDriver546
January 16th, 2009, 08:58
I have no pictures, but I know they were light blue... hold on... I may have some here...:typing:

DauntlessDriver546
January 16th, 2009, 09:06
This one was at Midway and it bombed the Hiryu.

I just looked her up, and she was with the VMBS at Midway that day.

Shadow Wolf 07
January 16th, 2009, 09:45
Hmmm... I always thought it was the Navy SBDs that bombed the Japanese carriers at Midway. I think there weren some land based strikes at the invasion fleet carried out by B-17s and 'd read there was a small number of Avengers on the island.

Hern07
January 16th, 2009, 17:57
The Marines sent out amixed force of SBD's and SB2u's against the two havy Cruisers, Mogami and Mikuma. Jadg wrote a mission for this attack, but I don't know if he uploaded it. Henderson Field, Guadalcanal, was named after the leader of the USMC SBD's who perished in the mission. They would have been painted blue and gray with the star (minus the red center) in six positions. They would have either single letters or a combination of a single letter and number painted in either white or black on the fuselage sides. Maybe someone knows more about the letters. :d

Jagdflieger
January 16th, 2009, 18:19
If you'd like to fly with the VMSB 241 at Midway, here is an historical mission replicating their attack.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=12192

It uses mostly stock MS ships and objects so it's an easy mission to install and set up.

PS. Major Henderson, USMC was killed in action on this raid. He is forever remembered by the naming of Henderson Field on Guadalcanal.

Pen32Win
January 16th, 2009, 19:03
I've got a photo of at least one of them. They were SBD-2's that came from Lex or Sara and they had painted out part of the Navy ID/Aircraft Numbers on the side of them. Let me see if I can dig them up.

BTW, they (VMSB-241) also attcked Kido Butai in two separate formations early AM of the 4th.

TARPSBird
January 16th, 2009, 22:59
Casey, here ya go:
http://hsfeatures.com/features04/marinesatmidwaypart1jl_1.htm
This is Bureau No. 2106, the plane at the National Museum of Naval Aviation at Pensacola. Hard to believe the bird made it back to the training command at NAS Glenview, IL after being shot to sh*t at Midway. Over 200 bullet holes - God bless the metalsmith who got that repair job. :d

casey jones
January 17th, 2009, 08:19
Thank You Tarpsbird, Jagdflieger,Pen32win,Hern07, Dauntlessdriver, and all for your help. I am amazed that one of the original Marine SBD-2s survived...to Jagdflieger for creating the Marine Mission at Midway.

Cheers To All

Casey:rapture:

Ghostrider
January 18th, 2009, 15:37
Also, the Marine SBD squadrons at Midway were not trained in dive bombing - they used "glide bombing" tactics which were much less effective against ships.

Pen32Win
January 18th, 2009, 16:18
That's Right GR;

They hadn't had their SBD's long enough to perfect the steep dive attack used by the USN pilots. The Wind Indicators they were use to where not capable of that type of maneuver. If you tried it in one you'd end up tearing the Aircraft apart resulting in you playing Lawn Dart.