PDA

View Full Version : The Martin Mars may still fly again????

tommieboy
September 27th, 2013, 14:20
"An emergency resolution demanding the province renew the Martin Mars water bomber contract was passed at the Union of British Columbia Municipality conference on Thursday"......

The rest of the story is here.... http://www.albernivalleynews.com/news/225381402.html

Tommy

CWOJackson
September 27th, 2013, 15:25
I saw some photos of the other Mars that they're prepping to send down to Pensacola; it's looking nice in it's original paint scheme. It must be one heck of a job getting her air worthy again.

TARPSBird
September 27th, 2013, 22:26
I saw some photos of the other Mars that they're prepping to send down to Pensacola; it's looking nice in it's original paint scheme.
They were possibly the same pics I saw. The bird looks very "1950-ish" in the Gloss Sea Blue paint job. Will be a huge addition to the museum's inventory, both in size and popularity. :icon_lol:

tommieboy
September 27th, 2013, 23:03
They were possibly the same pics I saw. The bird looks very "1950-ish" in the Gloss Sea Blue paint job. Will be a huge addition to the museum's inventory, both in size and popularity. :icon_lol:

Pensacola....unless I misunderstand the museums policy, no one is allowed to walk around the aircraft sitting out on the flightline; trolley tours only????? Needless to say, I don't think the Martin Mars will fit within the building.....

Tommy

TARPSBird
September 28th, 2013, 01:49
Pensacola....unless I misunderstand the museums policy, no one is allowed to walk around the aircraft sitting out on the flightline; trolley tours only????? Needless to say, I don't think the Martin Mars will fit within the building.....
Tommy
I believe you are correct about the trolley tours, however they have a large "back lot" flight line and with a little re-spotting of some other aircraft they could easily park the Mars out there. Getting the aircraft to the museum from wherever it lands will be a bit of a job. There are no seaplane ramps at P'cola as there are at NAS Norfolk and a few other old air stations.

tommieboy
September 28th, 2013, 08:17
I believe you are correct about the trolley tours, however they have a large "back lot" flight line and with a little re-spotting of some other aircraft they could easily park the Mars out there. Getting the aircraft to the museum from wherever it lands will be a bit of a job. There are no seaplane ramps at P'cola as there are at NAS Norfolk and a few other old air stations.

It would have been nice to see it retired to the Pacific Aviation Museum on Ford Island (Pearl Harbor), but I think they are too small of an operation, and would not have the funds to properly maintain such an aircraft. I believe the Hawaii Mars (and the rest of the Mars fleet) flew regularly scheduled flights between Naval Air Station Alameda and John Rodgers Airport (now known as Honolulu International Airport). It would have been nice to see the Arizona Memorial, USS Missouri, and aircraft like the Hawaii Mars all within a stone throw of each other.

Tommy

Willy
September 28th, 2013, 08:22

The old concrete seaplane ramps were still there in the 90s at the old part of the base down near Port Ops going along the seawall to the Auto Hobby Shop. Still would be a good haul to the museum though.

Skyhawk_310R
September 29th, 2013, 09:14
"An emergency resolution demanding the province renew the Martin Mars water bomber contract was passed at the Union of British Columbia Municipality conference on Thursday"......

The rest of the story is here.... http://www.albernivalleynews.com/news/225381402.html

Tommy

Yes, but is the government going to defray the costs of operations? I think that remains the most compelling reason why they were removed from service. No one wants to see this happen. This happened many years after financials indicated it should. The planes flew longer because of the undeniable emotional appeal of seeing them fly.

Ken

tommieboy
September 29th, 2013, 11:44
Yes, but is the government going to defray the costs of operations? I think that remains the most compelling reason why they were removed from service. No one wants to see this happen. This happened many years after financials indicated it should. The planes flew longer because of the undeniable emotional appeal of seeing them fly.

Ken

I don't agree that the cost of operations was the compelling reason to call for the retirement of the Martin Mars. The new contract for next year (for the newer smaller aircraft, 4 of them) will cost about 3 x the current contract for the Martin Mars (so I've been told), and the government doesn't seem to have any issues with the cost increase. Obviously, they THINK they are going to get 4 newer smaller aircraft for the money, but may end up with less depending on the Contractor's actually offer for the money. Now that this is a turning into a political hot potato, it seems that the government may have to compromise and keep the Martin Mars flying and add separate contract to introduce fewer of the newer smaller aircraft for the time being.

Tommy

CWOJackson
September 29th, 2013, 15:15
More interesting news from Coulson...http://skiesmag.com/news/articles/19796-coulson-and-skytrac-partner-on-next-generation-air-tanker-pr.html

tommieboy
September 29th, 2013, 15:39
More interesting news from Coulson...http://skiesmag.com/news/articles/19796-coulson-and-skytrac-partner-on-next-generation-air-tanker-pr.html

Thanks for the link.....

Here's another good one:

http://fireaviation.com/tag/coulson/

Tommy