PDA

View Full Version : cool J-3 landing

Daveroo
September 24th, 2013, 19:38
this is just worth watching all the way..wow..and listen to the pilots comment..lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-9RPJDoC5E

bstolle
September 24th, 2013, 22:41
That's a PA-18. Don't think the weak J-3 would have been able to do that. Although impressive, the only thing that comes to my mind: There are old pilots and bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

Navy Chief
September 25th, 2013, 01:56
Oh, I am so envious! NC

beana51
September 25th, 2013, 05:25
A Member Of The"CRAZY BASTARD FLYING CLUB"......Must be Charlie Kulp,The FLYING FARMER on Vacation, ....

Bushpounder
September 25th, 2013, 08:20
A Member Of The"CRAZY BASTARD FLYING CLUB"......Must be Charlie Kulp,The FLYING FARMER on Vacation, ....

Charlie and his daughter came to visit me at the museum this past spring, Vin. Lots of fun to talk with. He lives here in Virginia.

Don

beana51
September 25th, 2013, 08:55
Yes He is Great Don,bet you had a good time talking to him..Thanx..Vin

Ivan
September 25th, 2013, 09:04
I had no idea the J-3 was a VTOL aircraft.
:applause:

- Ivan.

hurricane3
September 25th, 2013, 09:46
You are right Bstolle ,thats a Super Cub Pa18,I'd guess with Tundra Tires.

Skyhawk_310R
September 25th, 2013, 13:08
The only thing I did not like is that it appeared like he got below glideslope on the final approach and then went to full power to try to get back on it at the end. Not sure why he did that because if he touched down long he simply would have gone to full power and did a touch and go. He had plenty of altitude off the end of the runway that he did not even have to back the plane up to takeoff despite being near the lip of the ridge.

Ken

StormILM
September 25th, 2013, 13:29
The only thing I did not like is that it appeared like he got below glideslope on the final approach and then went to full power to try to get back on it at the end. Not sure why he did that because if he touched down long he simply would have gone to full power and did a touch and go. He had plenty of altitude off the end of the runway that he did not even have to back the plane up to takeoff despite being near the lip of the ridge.

Ken

The approach was pretty normal for an upward slope and the altitude/density. Having flown with an old friend who's been a Bush/Seaplane Pilot in that region upwards of 20 years, I got a taste of that kind of flying and unique skill those guys have. Those guys land on slivers of nothing next to waters and steep abyss's every day. To be perfectly honest, it isn't something I found overly enticing as I would have 20 years ago. Hats off to them though. :salute: