PDA

View Full Version : Campaign choices?

Captain Kurt
September 24th, 2013, 12:15
I'm ready to start on my next campaign development - but I have several in mind and I'm not sure which one I want to do now. I'm kind of leaning towards the 82nd FG because I have been working on desert P-38s and some 12th Air Force airfields in Algeria / Tunisia but I am waffling.

Taking a lead from Devildog, I'd like some community input on what would be popular because I sure can't do them all. These are the units I have enough information on to create a historical campaign.

1. USAAF North Africa to Italy

1a. 325th FG Checkertails - P40s, P-47s and P-51s

1b. 82nd FG Adorimi - P-38s

2. Luftwaffe West Front Reich Defense 1943 to 1945

2a. II/JG11 - Bf109s

2b. I/JG11 - Fw190s

2c. II/JG2 - Bf109s

2d. III/JG2 - Fw190s

Rami
September 24th, 2013, 12:41
Kurt,

I'll vote for the 82nd Fighter Group. I like the P-38 as well, and I'm working with the old gal in Europe as part of the 20th Fighter Group. You'd also be interested to know that P-38s of the 82nd Fighter Group also flew as part of Operation Frantic, and I actually covered the Willsie / Andrews rescue mission as part of that campaign. You may have full access to those missions if you wish.

Captain Kurt
September 25th, 2013, 08:14
Thanks Rami, I appreciate that.

bearcat241
September 25th, 2013, 09:17
Tough choice for me between the Checkertails and the 82nd, but i guess i'd have to go with something different in terms of the historical aircraft types used and vote the 82nd. We don't have a lot of P-38 campaigns in the menu of recent works.

CheerZ!

Discus
September 25th, 2013, 11:36
CK

As I fly almost exclusively in the ETO, Iīd prefer a P-38 campaign. That aircraft hasnīt many campaigns in that theatre of operations.

Thanks, Discus

Captain Kurt
September 26th, 2013, 15:43
Well the response has been kind of underwhelming - only 70 some views but hey, I do this stuff mostly for myself anyway. Thank you Rami, Bearcat and Discus for your feed back. The 82nd Fighter Group has it unanimously.

Devildog73
September 27th, 2013, 01:08
Captain Kurt,
Sorry for the slow response...... I continue in the "unanimous" P-38 campaign.

Once one gets used to its characteristics, it is a very fun plane to fly. I have one suggestion/request: stay with David C. Copley' DCC P-38s. They are absolutely the best available for CFS2 and for the Bong-McGuire Aces campaigns, I tested every available P-38 at that time.

Not one compared to David's.

Oh, and I am a BIG fan of the Checkertails........lol.

Lee

Killer Svend
September 27th, 2013, 03:28
I vote for the 82 nd. alought I think the P38 is flying as a barngate, most probably because I have'nt flown it very much.This campaign might change my opinion on the P38.
Killer Svend

Captain Kurt
September 28th, 2013, 09:11
Glad you guys agree too. Still unanimous.

I am using the dcc P-38J model as that is the only real choice out there. The stock and dcc P-38F/G models have trade offs. the dcc model has better detail modeling - more rounded landing gear / guns and cockpit detail, but a poor pilot figure and a small texture file size to work with. the dcc pilots can't be alpha channeled out and replaced because they share textures with the aircraft - go figure. The P-38F stocker has a better pilot and good texture file size for a detailed skin, but no cockpit interior. Since I think the skin and pilot stand out visually I am using the stock model for the early versions.

As for handling characteristics, it won't matter which model I use because I'm developing customized air, cfg and dp files rather than using the files that come with the models.

Rami
September 28th, 2013, 09:25
As for handling characteristics, it won't matter which model I use because I'm developing customized air, cfg and dp files rather than using the files that come with the models.

Kurt,

Are you aware that Pen32Win did a revised set of .cfg and .air files for the DCC P-38s, including the "J" model? I can make them available to you. Also, you could always "paint out" the model and use the RAF pilot by Martin Wright to fill in the gaps...

gaucho_59
September 28th, 2013, 09:44
Well the response has been kind of underwhelming - only 70 some views but hey, I do this stuff mostly for myself anyway. Thank you Rami, Bearcat and Discus for your feed back. The 82nd Fighter Group has it unanimously.

It looks like the textures are very nicely mapped... and would make a great model to super detail....
Which model is this? and where can it be downloaded?

Captain Kurt
September 28th, 2013, 15:45
Hi Andrew,

No I didn't know that Pen32Win had done new flight files for the P-38s. I'd like to give them a try. Would you mind sending them to me? Much appreciated.

The pilot figure textures share portions of the airframe's textures. I can remove parts of the pilot but not all. Makes replacing him with a bgl pilot figure pretty hard to do. I'll play around with it some more to see if I can remove enough to hide what's left with a new figure.

Gaucho, the plane in the picture is the dcc P-38J which is available here in the add-ons library. The skin is additional tweaks and markings I did based on a skin by Immi which Morton adapted to fit the model.

Talon
September 28th, 2013, 16:27
Love your work Captian Kurt but I'm just not into the ETO or MTO. PTO and CBI is where I like to fly and sometimes the KTO.

Rami
September 28th, 2013, 17:00
Kurt,

Here are the files for all except for the P-38G Lightning. I hope Talon still has that one, because he gave them to me a while back.

Captain Kurt
September 28th, 2013, 17:11
Thanks Andrew, I'll test fly them tonight.

Talon I can understand that. Someday I may do a campaign based on Don Lopez's experiences in the 23rd FG. BTW your campaigns are the standards of historical accuracy I try to attain.

Talon
September 28th, 2013, 19:24
Kurt,

Here are the files for all except for the P-38G Lightning. I hope Talon still has that one, because he gave them to me a while back.

Not to worry Rami I have them.

Captain Kurt,I've flown some of your campaigns and you have high standards also. It's all in the research and trying to get the missions work they way you want. Today it's alot easier to find info then it was when I started doing campaigns. It took me years of bugging Rami to do research and original campaigns. It's a whole new world isn't it Rami?:icon_lol: