PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and Prayers to HSC-6

strikehawk
September 23rd, 2013, 18:07
The Navy helicopter community is a small one and when things like this happen it hurts even if you are not part the that unit.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/sep/23/search-suspended-reasea-helicopter-crash/

RIP to the two pilots who did not make it out.:salute:

Skyhawk_310R
September 23rd, 2013, 18:46
Total bummer!

Lot easier to get out from the cargo area than the two seats up front. In a ditching that unexpected, a few seconds delay can make all the difference. Hope the Navy can find out how they went from touchdown on the destroyer's deck to ditching. That's a question that needs a good answer.

Ken

Victory103
September 23rd, 2013, 19:49
RIP. We lost a HH in 96 and all the "special" guys went out together from the cabin door (only one on HH60H).

Jagdflieger
September 23rd, 2013, 20:48
God's speed to their souls.

IanHenry
September 24th, 2013, 00:02
So sorry to hear about your loss, RIP.

Regards,
Ian.

phrog_phixer
September 24th, 2013, 08:12
From what I've read, the ship's flight deck pitched up at the moment of landing...as a former small flight deck crewman I've witnessed this back in the day and being an unexpected event, damage to personnel and aircraft is likely. What a tragedy...

strikehawk
September 24th, 2013, 16:04
Last word was the search has been called off, both pilots are listed as KIA. Prayers with the unit and families.

The report should be interesting to see, class Alphas are never good things but hopefully the next time, and we know that there will be a next time, what is learned will save lives.

Skyhawk_310R
September 24th, 2013, 16:44
I remember something someone told me a while back, "If it was easy, everyone could do it!"

Landing on a pitching ship is never easy, and the pads on those ships are postage stamps in comparison. What I'm saying is surprise it doesn't happen more often than it does and the only reason I can think of is the skill of the people doing it.

Ken