PDA

View Full Version : Question about converting FS9 Airports to FSX

P38man
September 22nd, 2013, 15:47
I have a question about one issue that I normally ignore when I convert an FS9 airport to FSX.

How can you move the buildings eg terminal ?

Detail:
- usually I use bgl2xml and replace the Fs9 trees with FSX ones (guid no)
- I delete all terrain info (usually these are in separate BGLs so it is very easy)
- then I convert BMPs to DDS files using modelconverter x
- then even though I cannot see the Fs9 buildings in ADE I adjust the default airport in FSX to fit (by way of back and forth)
- that is usually fine for me

Sometimes however I really want to move those FS9 buildings. What I have found is that those BGLs with the terminal etc come up empty with bgl2xml but there are some other tiny 1K files which come up with GUID numbers that are not in FSX. I am guessing the terminal BGLs contain info how to put the model together and the tiny files are describing the terminal and other building objects....however.....

....there are many BGLs with such features and many non-autogen guid numbers and I do not know which is which.

Is the only way to painstakingly adjust one at a time , get back into FSX, check, then rinse and repeat ?

There must be an easier way?

Anyone know ?

EDIT: AFCAD2 shows runways etc but not buildings?

Bjoern
September 23rd, 2013, 07:58
Can't ModelconverterX read model data from .bgl files?

If so, you'd basically have to load said bgl into MCX and then export the building(s) as FS9 or FSX mdl file(s) before loading it into ADE's library to place it.

I haven't done building placement in a long time, but I think this should work.

P38man
September 23rd, 2013, 15:57
Can't ModelconverterX read model data from .bgl files?

If so, you'd basically have to load said bgl into MCX and then export the building(s) as FS9 or FSX mdl file(s) before loading it into ADE's library to place it.

I haven't done building placement in a long time, but I think this should work.

I didn't know that......will give it a go.

I have only ever used it for converting bmp to dds texture files.

Thanks!