PDA

View Full Version : Getting back In The game

bobhegf
September 21st, 2013, 06:27
I got out of CFS2 for about 2 yrs. I had started doing scenery and missions for a story I was going to tell about a young man starting with his flight training and then going to the end of the war. Because I ended up with 2 HD blow ups I lost everything I had done and decided to get out of CFS2. I was also never able to put in the type of or amount of scenery I wanted to because I ended up taking a huge frame rate hit. I was able to upload the flight training missions but that was all ,the rest are gone, am talking about missions going all the way into late 1944 and early 1945. All the missions were fighter missions , fiction yes but based on hard fact.

Here is an overview of what I am going , for the third time, to try to do. Here are some things that this young man had to have before getting into the NROTC program.
1. He would have to have completed 2yrs of colledge .
2. He could not be married and could not get married for 2yrs after completing the program.
3.He had to agree to fly for the Navy for 4yrs once he completed the program.
4. He had to agree to complete his education while on active duty.
thies are just a few things that he had to agree to in
order to be accepted into the program.

Once he was in he went to an E base. There he went through a complete physical and a battery of test in which he had to score 90 percent or better or he was washed out. If he had a slight head cold or any kind illness even if he got it while there he was washed out of the program or if he could not complete the physical part of the program he was washed out. He also had to solo a J3 Cub with in 10hrs or he was washed out.
If he made it through all that he went home to await orders once a slot was open for him in the Navy Flight Training Program.

Once the was in the Navy Flight Training Program during the 1st phase it was still easy to wash out. Once he reached the second phase he had proven that he could be trained to fly the Navy way. He then went to phase 3 or advanced training in the SNJ if he picked carrier aircraft or on to different types of patrol AC. Once he completed this phase he received his commission and was assigned to a training squadron. He goes home for some R and R. He is home one week when Pearl is attacked and it is off to war he goes.

He goes to NAS Norfolk VA Where he is assigned to a Squadron flying the old F2-A3s. While there he racks up about 15 flight hours but due to fact that there are no carriers in port during this time he is never able to become carrier deck qualified which puts him at a great disadvantage. A note here: In order to be a member of an active carrier squadron you had to be deck carrier qualified in the aircraft you were assigned to in combat. This pore fellow in not so he is put on a transport and off to Pearl he goes. He becomes a group of reserve pilots awaiting orders and does not fight in the Battle of the Coral Sea. However his name comes up and he is assigned TAD to a Marine squadron at a place called Midway in late May of 1942 as a replacement pilot. He fights the Battle of Midway from Midway and then goes to a remote island in the pacific waiting for orders to return to Pearl and the Navy. Luck would have it that during this time a Maj. Smith CO. of VMF223 shows up looking for pilot that have flown combat in order to replace some of his just out of flight school pilots. You got it, our fellow is one of the ones picked as a replacement. HE receives some info about the F4F and on Aug 20 1942 he gets a cat shot off a CLV and about 2 hours later arrivers at a place called Guadalcanal. There he will live or die. The time period was Aug 20 to Oct 11 1942 and the missions are the ones flown by members of VMF223 during that time. On Oct 11 1942 VMF223 VMF224 VMF212 and VF5 left Cactus For Pearl. Once reaching Pearl All members of these squadrons were shipped back to the states given a raise in rank and given leave. At this point I want to rethink where I am going to take the rest of the missions. Even though the story is not real the mission are based on hard facts. I happened to find the after action reports for all the VMF223 missions flown as well as the after action reports of the fighter mission flown by the Midway pilots including the detailed death of Maj. Parks.

What do you fellows think of the Idea?

Ettico
September 21st, 2013, 20:01
A gargantuan task, bob. This time save those missions to a flash drive. Then back up the flash drive on another flash drive. Then, at the earliest financial opportunity, purchase an external HD and back up everything of value on that. :icon_lol:

Sorry, I shouldn't laugh. One of my HD's got knocked out by lightning.

bobhegf
September 21st, 2013, 20:18
Ettico, I should have it is my fault. I will be doing that in the future.

bobhegf
September 22nd, 2013, 14:21
I figured that there might be more interest but up to this point I have gotten only one comment. Fellows I would be interested in what you think of the idea and any suggestion you might have on the subject.

Captain Kurt
September 22nd, 2013, 18:42
Bob,

I'd fly it. It sounds darn comprehensive and I think you will be working hard to get it all to work -- but I think it would be very interesting.

bobhegf
September 22nd, 2013, 19:36
I am starting to work on it now but it will be the 1st of the year before I really get into it. As for now I am working on the DP gun station files for the Betty and the Zero as well as the Aircraft config. file in order to get more performance out of the Zero AI which I think I have done and get red of the Betty tail gunner.