PDA

View Full Version : What Missions or Campaign?

Devildog73
September 18th, 2013, 23:14
Okay guys,

I am sitting at home for the next 2 weeks on convalescent leave after knee surgery.

It has been a while since I did any creative ventures in CFS2 for release to SOH, and I am not good at sitting at home without something to occupy my time.

I am in between courses on my Master Degree, so, bottom line, what would you all like to see in missions or campaign.

I am toying with USMC Pacific, but am not locked into that.

Lay some ideas on me and over the course of the next 10 days or so, I will spend some hours on mission building.

DD73

Finn
September 19th, 2013, 06:41
Sorry to hear about your leg, hopefully it'll get better than ever. But if you need ideas, here are some: We never got the "Battle of France 1940" campaign, especially a French one. There can still be room for good Battle of Britain campaigns, and I don't think D-day has ever been toyed with in CFS-2? Anything fielding seaplanes is also a rare find, though there are a few old mini-campaigns. And since Aerocrate stopped, the first World War has been neclected, alas. And that is just what I would love to fly - I'll guess there will be hundreds of suggestions, so do not fear boredom:applause:
All the best wishes for your recovery from
Finn

kdriver
September 19th, 2013, 07:49
Get well soon DD73.

How about the Aleutians? We've got the beautiful scenery by Uncle Tgt and excellent skins by Sopwith Chameleon, but only a handful of missions by Rolf/Yoshi from the Japanese perspective.

Jagdflieger
September 19th, 2013, 08:24
Yikes! I hope your recovery is fast and full.

I may be in your neck of the woods in December. If you're still there and haven't retired yet, we'll have to get off of the Kaserne and get a beer.

bearcat241
September 19th, 2013, 16:10
Here's something for consideration. The first four are very fine existing -- but dated -- campaigns for the late war that could use some updating to current scenery and aircraft options if your looking for some redux work.

Operation Forager Campaign
A 16 mission campaign following the invasion
of the Marianas in June 1944. Includes
historically accurate missions, the 'Great
Marianas Turkey Shoot', correct carrier task
group compositions, and adds airfields at
Marpi Point, Gurguan Point and Rota.

Operation Victor
A campaign for USN following the invasion of the Philippines,
including the Battle for Leyte Gulf, a total
of 26 missions. Also adds 29 new airfields in
the Philippines area, Formosa, and Indonesia

**Captain Kurt has already started us down this path with his recent VF-19 campaign that overlaps Victor and Forager

Operation Iceberg
21 mission campaign following the invasion of Okinawa
in 1945

ALL By Matthew Scott

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tokyo Express Campaign
This is a campaign featuring the F4U-1C in a USN VF-85 mission pack. It deals with the attacks on the Japanese home islands at the end of World War II.

By Arne E. Ehlers

05/04/2002

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And then something that could be original and very much appreciated:

British Pacific Fleet/Fleet Air Arm action from 1944-1945

Nothing in CFS2 public domain covering this extremely vital component in the late Pacific War campaigns. The BPF was a fomidable ally in the Formosa, Sea of Japan and Okinawa regions, as well as the DEI and collaborating with the USN in the late war "Tokyo Express" raids on the Japanese home islands. They raised hell in Hellcats, Corsairs and Seafires and even flew CAP against kamikazes during Operation Iceberg. BPF ships received a good deal of attention from the kamikaze force during Op Iceberg and weathered that storm alongside their USN comrades. With their steel-decked aircraft carriers, the task forces of the BPF fared much better against the kamikaze than their American counterparts with wooden decks. Their naval air corp can also boast of a few aces.

nik112
September 19th, 2013, 22:03
Hi
In my opinion do or remake any campaign but you must include
Captain's Kurt personnel

cheers

Sander
September 20th, 2013, 04:49

And then something that could be original and very much appreciated:

British Pacific Fleet/Fleet Air Arm action from 1944-1945

Nothing in CFS2 public domain covering this extremely vital component in the late Pacific War campaigns. The BPF was a fomidable ally in the Formosa, Sea of Japan and Okinawa regions, as well as the DEI and collaborating with the USN in the late war "Tokyo Express" raids on the Japanese home islands. They raised hell in Hellcats, Corsairs and Seafires and even flew CAP against kamikazes during Operation Iceberg. BPF ships received a good deal of attention from the kamikaze force during Op Iceberg and weathered that storm alongside their USN comrades. With their steel-decked aircraft carriers, the task forces of the BPF fared much better against the kamikaze than their American counterparts with wooden decks. Their naval air corp can also boast of a few aces.

Hear hear. There were a couple of my fellow countrymen flying Hellcats and Corsairs from those carriers.

Devildog73
September 20th, 2013, 09:24
Well,
:jump:I like Hellcats and I like Corsairs. I can even carrier land Corsairs in a counter-clockwise circle, vis-a-vis the UK perfected method.

I will do some research over the weekend and begin adding our cousins, or is that uncles and aunts, from the UK into the Pacific late war battles.

I am an avid proponent of close air support, perfected by the USMC and USN. I will see if our British relatives also took part in such ground support roles in the Pacific. I know they did so in Africa and Europe.

So, look for some British Pacific Fleet missions, possibly campaigns. And, I will not be flying straight in from astern for carrier landings. You all will probably be able to warp to the port side of the carrier where you will have to begin your slow, descending, counter-clockwise turn to the deck with full flaps and 60% power, canopy open. If you have aircraft damage, prudence is the better part of valor, climb to 1000 and bail out in friendly waters.:salute:

Okay, I think I have enough skins for British Pacific Fleet Corsairs and Hellcats and enough British ships.

Now to the research........

Rami
September 20th, 2013, 15:40
Devildog,

I kept quiet to make sure the Pacific Blues got their due. :wiggle:

bearcat241
September 20th, 2013, 15:51
...And, I will not be flying straight in from astern for carrier landings. You all will probably be able to warp to the port side of the carrier where you will have to begin your slow, descending, counter-clockwise turn to the deck with full flaps and 60% power, canopy open. If you have aircraft damage, prudence is the better part of valor, climb to 1000 and bail out in friendly waters.....

Looking forward to that nugget...much practiced in this style. Its my standard routine for carrier landings nowadays. :jump:

Meanwhile here's some patchwork of related material for further discussion and research for those interested:

http://www.bbm.org.uk/as-hayrc.htm

http://books.google.com/books?id=PaEyxdzcpMEC&pg=PT158&lpg=PT158&dq=D.J.+Sheppard%2Bace&source=bl&ots=fN9as3Bmw0&sig=66kHppBaEO1LWfhnhOZORjwQlQc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=J-M8UtTFD4rA2AXPqIBA&ved=0CFYQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=D.J.%20Sheppard%2Bace&f=false

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Hampton_Gray

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/34/language/en-CA/The-Last-Canadian-VC--Robert-Hampton-Gray.aspx

http://www.parallaxfilm.com/projects/history-classics/last-battle-hampton-gray

http://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default/files/Hobbs_THE_BRITISH_PACIFIC_FLEET_IN_1945.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Pacific_Fleet#Allied_co-operation

http://www.naval-history.net/xDKWD-BPF4504BritishPacificFleetFeb-Jul45.htm

Devildog73
September 21st, 2013, 09:45
Thanks bearcat!

Any airfields in the Sakishima Islands (southern Ryukyu-Okinawa) and Formosa?

It has been so long since I have been in the Pacific theater, not since the Aces Campaigns with Dick Bong and Tommy McGuire.....

I am going to start building my fleet in the channel between Okinawa and the Sakishima Islands and give a first mission of in-coming kamikaze intercepts.

If you all can guide me to some already made airfields on those islands, I will then start with some ground attacks on airbases and CAP with seafires over Okinawa US attack forces per the research I have already done.

I am going to look into MaskRider, Xavier and other Pacific scenery creators and see if we already have such bases made.

If any of you all know of some, let me know, it will save me search time.

Thanks ahead of time.

Lee

Talon
September 21st, 2013, 10:05
DD,

Maskrider has done Formosa and I did some GSL work on ports for it but haven't released it yet.

I also have the ship lists of TF 57 which was off Okinawa and what planes and how many each carrier had. TF 37 was off the coast of Japan and I have the same info for that too.

I think there is a Prince of Wales by VN which you can use for the King George V and Howe.

Devildog73
September 21st, 2013, 11:29
DD,

Maskrider has done Formosa and I did some GSL work on ports for it but haven't released it yet.

I also have the ship lists of TF 57 which was off Okinawa and what planes and how many each carrier had. TF 37 was off the coast of Japan and I have the same info for that too.

I think there is a Prince of Wales by VN which you can use for the King George V and Howe.

Talon,

Okay, I have MaskRider Formosa and Japan 1 which covers the entire area of discussion.

I will begin installing the infrastructure tonight per his scenery directions.

I also have ship list and aircraft for TF 57. I plan to use those ships I have found and convert some with renames to be as close as possible to the actuals. I will then zip them and include the renamed converts in the uploads.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks,
Lee

bearcat241
September 21st, 2013, 18:51
On the topic of scenery, i don't know how far we want to go in covering the operations of the BPF. But in the interest of extending BPF action to the max, maybe throw in some of Xavier Berdaguer's GSL Eastern Asia WWII Runways from his EAWWII SCENERY - FULL CONSOLIDATED PACKAGE. He covered eastern Asia (and Japan in a separate package) extensively with a wide variety of geographical choices. Places like Korea, coastal China/Manchuria, Indochina, Malaya, the entire Dutch East Indies and other locations nearest to the Indian Ocean would do well from his package with respect to BPF operations. In addition, we have Maskrider's latest GSL version of the Dutch East Indies. The BPF operated in all of these areas as a left flanking strategy to the actions of the main USN thrust up the Marianas chain to the Japanese home islands. Now you have the whole pie on the table to slice any way you choose. ;)

Talon
September 21st, 2013, 20:04
Operation Forager Campaign
A 16 mission campaign following the invasion
of the Marianas in June 1944. Includes
historically accurate missions, the 'Great
Marianas Turkey Shoot', correct carrier task
group compositions.

Bearcat maybe you missed these.

In 2010 I did a Marianas Campaign that started June 11 with strikes on Saipan and ending with strikes o the IJN Fleet. The Turkey Shoot is also in it.37 Missions.And the Carrier task groups are historically correct

Operation Victor
A campaign for USN following the invasion of the Philippines,
including the Battle for Leyte Gulf, a total
of 26 missions.

2010 I did a Philippines Campaign ( called Leyte ) of 29 missions that cover the landings,attacks on Formosa,Kamikaze attacks,attack on Taffey 3 and the destruction of the IJN Carriers. I did only 1 mission for the attack on Mushasi because Shadow Wolf already done a mission pack on it.Carrier Task Groups are also historically correct for this Campaign.

bearcat241
September 22nd, 2013, 03:26
No, not missed, downloaded when they were released back in 2010, just haven't done them yet. So, i had forgotten what was actually included in them. But now that you've refreshed my memory, i can commit much sooner than later. Thanks for the reminder.:salute:

Devildog73
September 22nd, 2013, 03:26
Okay,
Now I need a dp files for the Barracuda Mk2. It does not have one in it.
I tried to modify a devastator dp, but it didn't work.
Lee

Rami
September 22nd, 2013, 03:45
Devildog73,

I am happy to report that baldy really came through on this one for you.

Fairey Barracuda Mk. II: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=50&id=13729

Fairey Barracuda Mk. III: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=50&id=13750

Fairey Barracuda AI: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=50&id=13730

Pacific repaints: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=58&id=2868

Depth charges: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=17&id=6687

Devildog73
September 22nd, 2013, 20:29
Thanks Baldy and Rams!!!

:medals::medals::ernae:

NOTE ON EDIT:
NEVER Mind! I found what I was looking for, thanks Buddha13!!

Devildog73
September 24th, 2013, 10:17
Okay,
I decided to start at the beginning of the BPF, while they were still the Eastern Fleet Task Force 63.

It is two raids on oil refineries and storage tanks on Sumatra, Indonesia.

I have Meridian One finished and sent to Rami for editing and modification.

Based upon his advice, I will complete Meridian Two this week. Then it is on to British Pacific Fleet - Task Force 57.

Unfortunately, CFS2 does not pay any attention to the island of Sumatra and no actual rivers are depicted in the scenery from MS CFS2.

Palembang, Pladjoe, and Soengei Gerong are all on the big navigable, winding Musi River almost cutting the island in two.

So, I relocated the refineries onto the Pelabuhan Tanjung Api-Api north of Palembang and the Musi River, as the only suitable location for a refinery complex.

Not historically, nor geographically accurate, but the best CFS2 has to offer.

Question for you guys that actually are in the know on CFS2: I own FS9/2004 Century of Flight and FSX Gold. Will either of those sceneries for Sumatra work in CFS2?

Thanks,
Lee

Captain Kurt
September 24th, 2013, 12:21
Check Sander's topic Victory, The CFS2 World is Ours!
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?80688-Victory%21-The-CFS2-world-is-ours

He and team are converting CFS2 to the FS9 world

Rami
September 24th, 2013, 12:36
Devildog,

I will not be able to beta test this time for you...but I suggested other "nuts and bolts" beta testers who may be willing to carry the torch, especially in the Pacific. I hope that helps.

Devildog73
September 24th, 2013, 21:10
Check Sander's topic Victory, The CFS2 World is Ours!
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?80688-Victory%21-The-CFS2-world-is-ours

He and team are converting CFS2 to the FS9 world

Thanks Captain Kurt, I have indeed been following that thread.

Lee

Devildog73
September 24th, 2013, 21:13
Devildog,

I will not be able to beta test this time for you...but I suggested other "nuts and bolts" beta testers who may be willing to carry the torch, especially in the Pacific. I hope that helps.

Thanks Rami,
I understand.

Okay, any beta testers out here that would like to receive the missions to offer guidance and suggested changes?

I have one mission ready, though I have to do up a readme file on it.

I don't like to upload missions and campaigns without at least one or two other simmers seeing and validating those missions.

Just either PM me or use my profile email address.

Thanks,
Lee

bearcat241
September 25th, 2013, 00:06
My two cents: don't get bogged down in the native scenery limitations, which we all know are endless. This region was obviously neglected by the designers in favor of more focus on the SW Pacific terrain where the stock campaigns are centered. Guess it never occurred to them that we might someday want to do missions in Indonesia. Just put your refineries in the most likely historical coordinates and ignore the inaccuracy of the surrounding landscape. As long as you have a fat target and plenty of opposition (A2A or AAA or both) to keep us busy, we won't have time for touring the landscape.

Also, i would be happy to help with the beta work, but not at the pace of one mission at a time. Maybe sets of five or so would be be better for me personally.

CheerZ

Rami
September 25th, 2013, 01:12
Devildog73,

One other thing that's been bugging me...you said in your e-mail that you were dissatisfied with the flight characteristics of the Corsair you were using.

If I may humbly suggest an alternative, try these instead: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=68&id=71

There's a clipped-wing Mk. II in there, along with all the other variants.

And for performance, I modified each airfile so that the performance is very much in line with historical specs. (Out of the box, they all had the same flight envelope as the F4U-4 model)

Mod pack: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=17&id=6469

blohmundvoss
September 25th, 2013, 09:12
Bearcat's right - in the end it's all about shooting things down and blowing things up - but it is nice to have a background that looks right. So for Devildog's benefit, a hint of what will be coming (don't worry about the textures too much). Palembang area before and after.

Cheers
BuV

Devildog73
September 25th, 2013, 11:18
My two cents: don't get bogged down in the native scenery limitations, which we all know are endless. This region was obviously neglected by the designers in favor of more focus on the SW Pacific terrain where the stock campaigns are centered. Guess it never occurred to them that we might someday want to do missions in Indonesia. Just put your refineries in the most likely historical coordinates and ignore the inaccuracy of the surrounding landscape. As long as you have a fat target and plenty of opposition (A2A or AAA or both) to keep us busy, we won't have time for touring the landscape.

Also, i would be happy to help with the beta work, but not at the pace of one mission at a time. Maybe sets of five or so would be be better for me personally.

CheerZ

Thanks bearcat,
I will get the two Meridian missions and send them to you via email.
I have the readme text completed.
The next missions of Iceberg are sometime later in the real world and in the historic world.

Lee

Devildog73
September 25th, 2013, 11:19
Bearcat's right - in the end it's all about shooting things down and blowing things up - but it is nice to have a background that looks right. So for Devildog's benefit, a hint of what will be coming (don't worry about the textures too much). Palembang area before and after.

Cheers
BuV

Thanks BuV!

What is the before scenery? Is it MR-DEI?

Lee

Devildog73
September 25th, 2013, 11:25
Devildog73,

One other thing that's been bugging me...you said in your e-mail that you were dissatisfied with the flight characteristics of the Corsair you were using.

If I may humbly suggest an alternative, try these instead: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=68&id=71

There's a clipped-wing Mk. II in there, along with all the other variants.

And for performance, I modified each airfile so that the performance is very much in line with historical specs. (Out of the box, they all had the same flight envelope as the F4U-4 model)

Mod pack: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=17&id=6469

Rami, Thanks. I knew you had those and was looking for them, just had not found them yet.

Right now I am testing several different Corsairs and added some 1% IJAF fighters to give us all a bit more realism. If the 1% AI behave like the player 1%, they won't be turning on a EURO penny and climbing like a rocket booster. I was flying DBolt's F4U1A and in a steep dive with water injection engaged. The stock Zero caught me and chewed me up. In real life, THAT did not happen.

Devildog73
September 26th, 2013, 13:35
Just a small update.

I am going to do the basic missions with player aircraft as fighter escort in an FDG2 Corsair II.

Then, go back and change to player as one of the fighter-bomber Barracuda and/or Firefly.

Then, go back and change to player as ground attack Hellcat.

Then, go back and change to player in Seafire.

Then, go back and change to player in an Avenger.

I am doing this for Meridian One and Meridian Two, so it should give us 10 missions from the BPF side.

Once done, I am considering doing one mission each: Meridian One and Two with player as IJAF interceptors, one in a Zero, one in an Oscar.

Thoughts????

Lee

bearcat241
September 26th, 2013, 16:13
Sounds like a good plan for the allied stuff. As for defending in Zero's and Oscars, i've personally never had any interest in axis side action. I haven't flown an axis mission in my twelve years of CFS2, just FF tours and a couple of QC sessions. But others may be game for it, so plow ahead.

P.S...i have to admit that i am partial to the George in No-Fun multi-play. Its the best, all-around A2A performer of all the stockers.;)

Devildog73
September 27th, 2013, 00:57
Sounds like a good plan for the allied stuff. As for defending in Zero's and Oscars, i've personally never had any interest in axis side action. I haven't flown an axis mission in my twelve years of CFS2, just FF tours and a couple of QC sessions. But others may be game for it, so plow ahead.

P.S...i have to admit that i am partial to the George in No-Fun multi-play. Its the best, all-around A2A performer of all the stockers.;)

Yeah, I have flown IJN/IJAF and German planes in FF also. Even though my ancestors are German, I really take no pleasure, even in a game, of being on the enemy side against the USA. So, like you, I haven't really done any Axis flying or mission building. This one would be my first.

Wow, I have never really flown around in the George. I may have to give it a shot and test it out. My favorite fighter to fly in QC is any Spitfire, even though with Tuskegee Airmen campaign building I got quite accomplished in the P-40F and can hold my own against any Axis plane one on one in KM_P-40F after I researched its strengths and weaknesses and those of my opponents' aircraft. I am also fairly accomplished in the P-38J after building Aces campaign.

I suppose that is true of all of us as we build multiple missions for the same aircraft. When I first started the Aces missions, I was getting killed often in the P-38Fs. By the time the campaign progressed to the J model, I was more lethal to Imperial Japanese aircraft than they were to me. The J model will dive and climb like a dolphin in the ocean and none of the IJN/AF fighters could stand the forces. Once they broke off, I OWNED them.

(Plus, I worked my way through college in plumbing and heating. My supervisor was a WWII USAAC mechanic on P-38s in Europe. He told me stories about his pilots coming back to England and telling him about climbing hard to just before a stall, hitting full left rudder, cutting power to the port engine and going full throttle on the starboard engine and spinning a circle on the pursuing Jerries. The guns and canons were in the nose so as soon as he came around, they came to bear on the enemy fighter). I used that a couple of times in QC in a J model. Works quite nicely, but too difficult to put it into missions for others.

In Meridian and Iceberg I am getting excited to learn the Corsairs, Hellcats, Seafires Fireflies, and Barracudas. I have not really flown any of them much. I will also have to brush up my skills for Japanese fighters and ground attacks.

Lee

bearcat241
September 27th, 2013, 02:36
My favorite QC mounts are my "tweaked" Corsair and Mustang flight models - their stock configurations don't work right as they are just too stall happy and don't live up to the reputations of these two. I dialed up the thrust, wing lift, elevator and aileron effectiveness, took the induced drag factors down a bit and i got stone cold killers in the deal.

Thanks for sharing that P-38 maneuver. I can see how it would work well in the sim if i had a dual throttle controller...gotta look into that.

CheerZ!

Rami
September 27th, 2013, 02:57
Yeah, I have flown IJN/IJAF and German planes in FF also. Even though my ancestors are German, I really take no pleasure, even in a game, of being on the enemy side against the USA. So, like you, I haven't really done any Axis flying or mission building. This one would be my first. Lee

Lee,

I understand your point, but I actually think it's kind of cool to do dual-sided campaigns, because it gives you both sides of the coin, in terms of feeling victorious or hopeless as the aggressor or victorious or hopeless as the defender, depending on the nature of the historical event.

It also gives you an opportunity to exploit offensive strategy and planning versus defensive strategy and planning...the choices that one has to make. That's one of the reasons why I'm finding the Balkans project so enjoyable.

P.S. - I gotta try that maneuver with the 20th Fighter Group! I've gotten quite accustomed to Happy Jack's Go Buggy...

Devildog73
September 29th, 2013, 23:41
My favorite QC mounts are my "tweaked" Corsair and Mustang flight models - their stock configurations don't work right as they are just too stall happy and don't live up to the reputations of these two. I dialed up the thrust, wing lift, elevator and aileron effectiveness, took the induced drag factors down a bit and i got stone cold killers in the deal.

Thanks for sharing that P-38 maneuver. I can see how it would work well in the sim if i had a dual throttle controller...gotta look into that.

CheerZ!

Bearcat,
You can bring up the throttle quadrant with F5 and do the maneuver. However, once you separate the throttle sticks, they no longer perform together with your joystick throttle. From then on to the end of the flight, you have to mouse control the throttles separately to the same %.
It is a pain, but really not an issue unless you encounter enemy fighters on the way home.

Devildog73
October 1st, 2013, 03:16
Hey all,

1) On the Fairey Firefly I have pilot and rear seater with .............. another set of crew sitting on their laps. NOT very politically correct for that time period............maybe its the name......in the USA anyway.:monkies::censored:

2) Also, the Fireflies fly okay as AI, but CTD in 15 seconds or so when used as player aircraft with no error.txt in the main folder telling me why.

3) They also will not attack the targets as AI, they fly right over them without ever attacking. :gameoff:

Any ideas how to fix these three problems?

UncleTgt
October 5th, 2013, 13:40
Hi DD73

Sorry I'm late to this thread.

Which Firefly are you using?

PS Barracudas traded in for Avengers after the OCT44 indian ocean raids (the hot & humid high altitude performance of the Barracuda stank, especially in op radius, but maybe a nod to commonality of replacements & spares with the US a/c for the coming fight in the Pacific ;)

Devildog73
October 7th, 2013, 10:59
Hi DD73

Sorry I'm late to this thread.

Which Firefly are you using?

PS Barracudas traded in for Avengers after the OCT44 indian ocean raids (the hot & humid high altitude performance of the Barracuda stank, especially in op radius, but maybe a nod to commonality of replacements & spares with the US a/c for the coming fight in the Pacific ;)

I have the Fairey Firefly MkI. Talon is helping with them. So far no joy on his modifications. I sent him the mission in which player pilots the Firefly.

I am going to maybe replace the AI Fireflies with Avengers for ship attack purposes. I have them attacking IJN tankers at oil refinery docks, except the Fireflies fly right over without attacking and head back to the carriers. It is a shame to leave loading IJN tankers sitting cool in the water when we could make things so much warmer for them.......

Devildog73
October 7th, 2013, 11:04
One thing that is an unexpected realism setting on these missions........the history says that there was no wind to turn into for launch, which caused some take off issues.

The Corsairs are dropping below flight deck level due to lack of speed. Sometimes I crash into the ocean, sometimes I recover and everything is fine.

I take off with WEP engaged, hold the brakes for a few seconds to build prop revolutions and let go.

Sometimes I have 10% flaps, sometimes no flaps in hopes of gaining speed versus lift.

Strange

Devildog73
October 7th, 2013, 12:00
Okay, two more problems that I don't know how to cure.

1) My guns look like they are still firing after dogfights, even though I am not pulling the trigger and no ammo is being expended. The muzzle flash still flames and smokes and shell casings are ejecting out the bottom of my wings.

2) When I arrive back at the convoy, all the ships have wakes and smoke but no textures. The ships are invisible. I cannot land on decks that are not there.

Anyone know how to cure these?

Thanks,
Lee

Talon
October 7th, 2013, 14:18
I have the Fairey Firefly MkI. Talon is helping with them. So far no joy on his modifications. I sent him the mission in which player pilots the Firefly.

I am going to maybe replace the AI Fireflies with Avengers for ship attack purposes. I have them attacking IJN tankers at oil refinery docks, except the Fireflies fly right over without attacking and head back to the carriers. It is a shame to leave loading IJN tankers sitting cool in the water when we could make things so much warmer for them.......

DD,

I never got anything with the Firefly.If it is at SOH I will take a look at it and see if I can get it to attack.

Rami
October 7th, 2013, 14:38
DD,

I never got anything with the Firefly.If it is at SOH I will take a look at it and see if I can get it to attack.

Talon,

That's easy, just make sure the allegiance isn't set to Vichy France. :icon_lol:

Devildog73
October 7th, 2013, 20:39
DD,

Yes, the Firefly is here on SOH. It is by baldy: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=50&id=6688
Did you get the mission and Readme?

DD

UncleTgt
October 8th, 2013, 00:17
Talon & DD73

For info, Baldy's source files were used by AF Scrub for an updated version. Morton did the CFS2 conversion here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=50&id=6905

You still have the same AI behaviour. I took a quick look at the airfile last night & I think the MOI & autopilot limits were copied from the stock F4U1A Corsair. Also the dp file a/c type is 5 (attack bomber), which seems a strange choice. My guess is the something in the airfile is screwing up the AI response.

UncleTgt
October 8th, 2013, 00:23
1) My guns look like they are still firing after dogfights, even though I am not pulling the trigger and no ammo is being expended. The muzzle flash still flames and smokes and shell casings are ejecting out the bottom of my wings. - a) bug due to gunstation damage, or b) MB bug following the issue of "attack with all weapons" instruction in MB. Alter gunstation damage boxes in DP, or don't use "attack with all weapons"

2) When I arrive back at the convoy, all the ships have wakes and smoke but no textures. The ships are invisible. I cannot land on decks that are not there. - known CFS2/MB bug if returning to original take off location (vessels have moved on, wakes have not), not sure of fix?

Devildog73
October 8th, 2013, 09:44
1) My guns look like they are still firing after dogfights, even though I am not pulling the trigger and no ammo is being expended. The muzzle flash still flames and smokes and shell casings are ejecting out the bottom of my wings. - a) bug due to gunstation damage, or b) MB bug following the issue of "attack with all weapons" instruction in MB. Alter gunstation damage boxes in DP, or don't use "attack with all weapons"

2) When I arrive back at the convoy, all the ships have wakes and smoke but no textures. The ships are invisible. I cannot land on decks that are not there. - known CFS2/MB bug if returning to original take off location (vessels have moved on, wakes have not), not sure of fix?

UncleTgt,
Thanks.

I think I can fix the missing ships with experimenting with the timing of return and location of ships at the same clock time as returning aircraft.

I do not use attack with all weapons. I am not sure how to alter the gunstation damage boxes in DP. I have never done anything like that. The only thing in DP that I have done is manually change out weapons and hangers for weapons.

DD

Talon
October 8th, 2013, 10:29
Yes, the Firefly is here on SOH. It is by baldy: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=50&id=6688
Did you get the mission and Readme?

DD

DD,

I haven't gotten any e-mail from ypu. I do have the Firefly attack with bombs very well but it still needs some work.Another day or 2 I should have it fixed.

Talon
October 8th, 2013, 11:16
The Firefly now drops bombs and fires rockets. I tweaked the DP file and am doing the final tweaks to the airfile.

Shadow Wolf 07
October 12th, 2013, 12:31
One thing that is an unexpected realism setting on these missions........the history says that there was no wind to turn into for launch, which caused some take off issues.

The Corsairs are dropping below flight deck level due to lack of speed. Sometimes I crash into the ocean, sometimes I recover and everything is fine.

I take off with WEP engaged, hold the brakes for a few seconds to build prop revolutions and let go.

Sometimes I have 10% flaps, sometimes no flaps in hopes of gaining speed versus lift.

Strange

Open the ship .cfg and scroll down to the flight deck section. in takeoff_start, change the -50 (minus 50) to -80 or -100 to set your start point further back on the flight deck. Don't forget to delete the .cdp.

Rami
October 12th, 2013, 14:19
Open the ship .cfg and scroll down to the flight deck section. in takeoff_start, change the -50 (minus 50) to -80 or -100 to set your start point further back on the flight deck. Don't forget to delete the .cdp.

Devildog,

You can actually make it minus -100, I tried it on the Illustrious. By the way, use WEP when possible and drop a notch of flaps. It helps them stay airborne, but you still get the Tora Tora Tora effect when the first plane leaves the deck. Just hang tight and keep the elevators up!

Devildog73
October 13th, 2013, 02:21

Devildog,

You can actually make it minus -100, I tried it on the Illustrious. By the way, use WEP when possible and drop a notch of flaps. It helps them stay airborne, but you still get the Tora Tora Tora effect when the first plane leaves the deck. Just hang tight and keep the elevators up!

Yep already do both. These are in the README for the missions. There is a modification text out here somewhere about those British carriers.

Changes are:
[flight_deck_section]
; this section defines the control points the
; AI (and LSO) use to steer towards the flight deck
width=32
length=245
takeoff_start=2,21,-119 (On the Yorktown class carrier I used change -119 to -100).
takeoff_stop=-2,21,120
landing_start=0,500,-5000
landing_touch_down=0.1920005,12.321,-81.536003
landing_stop=0.1920005,12.321,0

I "stand" on the brakes, hit WEP and when the RPMs level let go of the brakes, just before end of deck I hit one notch of flaps and just as soon as I hit the end of deck hit G key to pull up the gear. I now only get wet about one in ten takeoffs.

Also, the main fuel tanks on the Firefly and Corsair Mk II are not accurate. I checked the actual fuel tank capacities in both and used AirEd to change the values to proper fuel capacity. This is a must or you cannot make it back to the ships. I will include the air files in the upload. If anyone knows how to add external tanks to the Firefly DP, please do so. According to the historic documents I have read, they were equipped with 2 externals of about 54 US Gal each on the outer 1/3 of the wings. That extra 108 US Gallons would be VERY beneficial on these missions. The Corsair Mk II also does not have an option for drop tanks with bombs and rockets and should have external drop tank available.

Lastly, I am finished with the initial building and need some testers. You can send me an email from the CP section, or just PM me with your email. As soon as someone else tells me they are good to go, I will upload them. There are 2 operations with 3 versions of mission 1 and 1 version of mission 2.

BTW: Wonderful informational site: http://www.airvectors.net/idx_vw2.html

Rami
October 13th, 2013, 03:27
Also, the main fuel tanks on the Firefly and Corsair Mk II are not accurate. I checked the actual fuel tank capacities in both and used AirEd to change the values to proper fuel capacity. This is a must or you cannot make it back to the ships. I will include the air files in the upload. If anyone knows how to add external tanks to the Firefly DP, please do so. According to the historic documents I have read, they were equipped with 2 externals of about 54 US Gal each on the outer 1/3 of the wings. That extra 108 US Gallons would be VERY beneficial on these missions. The Corsair Mk II also does not have an option for drop tanks with bombs and rockets and should have external drop tank available.

Devildog,

You're getting more and more like me...I have to do stuff like that in my campaigns as well, and I know Talon does the same thing.