PDA

View Full Version : Operation Urgent Fury: the attack on Grenada

Navy Chief
September 18th, 2013, 07:35
I was with Attack Squadron Fifteen (VA-15), onboard the USS Independence (CV-62), for Urgent Fury, the attack on Grenada.

Today, I was going through the list of Youtube videos, and happened upon two that I found quite fascinating. The audio of both videos include 1MC transmissions from the CO of the USS Independence, Capt. Jerry Breast. It was so interesting, listening to these recordings, as I distinctly remember hearing them when the Skipper spoke to the crew. Never thought I would be "reliving" those moments! :salute:

Navy Chief

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01-dz6tVSuw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqUp4G0784E

Creepy847
September 18th, 2013, 08:00
thx for posting that Chief. I was there with an army unit Co.C. I remember it being very hot for Oct after leaving the states. We had afew wounded but no KIA from my Co. Did loose a friend from another Co and I will not mention his name here out of respect to him and his family.

Again thx for posting.

Semper Fi and Rangers lead the way!

Creeps.

Navy Chief
September 18th, 2013, 08:48
An unfortunate incident happened to the CO of our squadron. The ground troops radioed in the coordinates for a target, which turned out to be a hospital by mistake. Our skipper was understandably upset when finding out afterwards what he had dropped ordnance on....NC

TeaSea
September 18th, 2013, 15:52
I was in the 82nd...we had one KIA due to a miss drop of ordnance....perhaps same incident Chief. Target was apparently incorrectly identified either on the ground or in the air...never found out which. I will also withhold his name, but I had just finished doing a report of survey on him for loss of a generator just a month prior--he wasn't held liable.

I asked one of my guys about it (I wasn't there) and he said it wasn't so scared when the first pass came by and dropped...it was seeing the A-7 come around for the second pass where he said he experienced absolute terror. Fortunately it was a check fire.