PDA

View Full Version : Beaufort MkIa uploaded

Capt. Winters
September 16th, 2013, 16:00
Hi All,

Just a heads up, I have just uploaded on behalf of Steve Seybolt a two plane set consisting of:

1x Beaufort MkIa medium bomber
1x Beaufort MkIa torpedo bomber

These are MAW based aircraft, but can be installed into any CFS3 install.
More Beauforts for ETO and Rising Sun to follow.

Below is the readme included with the set. please follow instructions carefully.

regards Rob.

Release CFS3 original models.

Mediterranean Theatre of Operations.
Bristol Beaufort MkIa (bomber version) 1 x RAF,
Bristol Beaufort MkIa (Torpedo bomber version) 1 x RAF,

Contributor Credits:
Original external model is reworked from AlphaSim CFS2/FS-2004 free source files.
Original internal model parts are reworked from Greg (Seacondor) Laws's work and some of AlphaSims existing interior parts.
Model rework internal and external by Steve (Sdsbolt) Seybolt.
Virtual Cockpit Textures by John (Bravo/4) Whelan.
External Textures by John (Bravo/4) Whelan.
XDP compilation, research by Rob (Capt. Winters) Stevenson.
Bomb Sight by Rob (Capt. Winters) Stevenson.
Flight Model By Ted (Nachtpiloten) Kaniuka
Weapons by AvHistory, Joost (Frosty) and Richard (Winjeel) Mason and Ted (Nachtpiloten) Kaniuka.
pylon updates by Rob (Capt. Winters) Stevenson.
Revised 8x303 machine gun sounds, by Nigel (ndicki) Dickinson, Clive (Pat Pattle) Morely.
Engine sounds by Lawdog. (see original readme in aircraft\DR_Engine_Sounds\Bristol_Mercury_Sound_2x sound folder.)

Note: The 2 MAW planes can be installed into stock CFS3 it will require no additional addons to be installed.

..............INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS.....................

Unzip to a temporary folder:

You will see the following folders:
Aircraft
guns
pylons
sounds
weapons

Place aircraft folders into the corrisponding games main aircraft folder (this includes the DR_engine_sounds and shared folders)-(allow to overwrite if asked).
Place Pylon files into games main pylon folder. (allow to overwrite if asked)
Place weapon files into games main weapon folder. (allow to overwrite if asked)
Place gun files into games main guns folder. (allow to overwrite if asked)
Place sound files into games main sounds folder. (allow to overwrite if asked)

In addition to the folders you will see one lose sounds.xml file.
Place sound.xml file into the corrisponding games main folder. This sound.xml file has had the sounds for the 8x303 machine guns added (back up original file first).

If you have edited your own sounds.xml file and you do not wish to overwrite then at the end of this document you will find the text and instructions to copy the relevent text into your own sounds.xml file.

In all cases where you are asked to overwrite say yes as included are the latest files from the AvHistory weapons and sounds set.

Any questions or feedback please visit the Simouthouse forum http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/forumdisplay.php?7-CFS3-General-Discussion
or at Simviation http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb25/YaBB.pl?board=cfs3
(http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb25/YaBB.pl?board=cfs3)

..............In game player views............................................. ...............

Pilot Views- using F6 to cycle through:
Defualt view - Pilot view.
2nd view - Instrument view.

Gunner Views using F8 to cycle through:
1st view - Close Rear gunner view.
2nd view - Wide Rear gunner view.
3rd view - Port waist gunner view.
4th view - Starboard waist gunner view.

Bomb aimer view -using F7

Note: to drop torpedo and bomb on the torpedo version you still need to hit shift+B to open the bomb bay doors before dropping ordinance.

Freeware Item not to be loaded onto any web site without the written permission of Steve Seybolt.
copyright 2013.
...............................AIRCRAFT HISTORIES......................................... ......

Bristol Beaufort Mk.Ia
=====================================
Medium Bomber MAW.
Unit: 35 - METS. RAF
Serial: EK979
Code: 35
Bilbeis,
Egypt.
July, 1942.

The Bristol Beaufort, a classic twin-engine bomber of the WWII era, had its beginnings with the design of the Type 142 Blenheim and Type 149 Bolingbroke. These were conceived as early as 1934, with the initial specification for the Beaufort coming about in late 1935. Known as the Type 152, the Beaufort was intended as a torpedo bomber and general reconnaissance aircraft. The first contracts were placed in 1936, however, the prototype did not fly until 1938 and squadrons were not equipped with the type until 1940.

The Royal Australian Air Force built the type beginning in 1940, opting to use the more powerful Pratt and Whitney R-1830 in place of the Bristol Taurus with which the British version was fitted. 700 of the Australian versions were produced, while over 1,200 of the British variants were manufactured. The type served well until 1943, when the far superior Type 156 Beaufighter took over its duties.

Bristol Beaufort Mk.Ia
=====================================
Torpedo Bomber MAW.
Unit: 217 Sqn, RAF.
Serial: L9965
Code: T
Luqa Airfield,
Malta.

Beauforts were diverted from areas in North Africa to Malta to assist offensive operations from the island in spite that Malta was at the time under siege. Those from No 22 and 217 Sq that staged through Luqa airfield were required to participate in offensive operations before continuing their journey to their original intended destination. As this involved a quick change in decision there was a situation where their ground crews went by sea to their intended destination in the Far East with no aircraft to attend to. The 217 Sq arrivals in Malta was of tremendous utility as they strengthened the depleted remains of No 39 Sq detachment and so made up for the losses both on ground and in the air.

The Order of Battle on the island on 30.6.42 included Beauforts in both 217 and 39Sq based at Luqa airfield. The local population gained a lot of morale when the additional Beauforts alongside other aircraft as the Beaufighters that found their base in Malta in same manner as the other aircraft. In fact these proved useful to prevent shipping reaching the axis Africa Korps.

No 39 and 217 Squadrons remain known for taking part in attacks on the Italian Fleet which put to sea to intercept two Allied convoys that had set out from different ports in the Mediterranean aiming for the much needed relief of the island. Beauforts were known to have attacked enemy shipping en route as well as in harbour near Reggio Calabria and in Sicily.

..............ADDING SOUND TO YOUR OWN SOUNDS.XML FILE..................
The new bit goes after c303 entry and before the c792 entry

<c8x303>
<no_damage>
<sound file="xgun_x8x303_browning.wav" FileInt="gun_8x303_browning.wav" Stereo="Yes"/>
</no_damage>
</c8x303>

..........THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD LOOK WHEN IN YOUR SOUND FILE............

<c303>
<no_damage>
<sound file="xgun_303_browning.wav" FileInt="gun_303_browning.wav" Stereo="Yes"/>
</no_damage>
</c303>
<c8x303>
<no_damage>
<sound file="xgun_x8x303_browning.wav" FileInt="gun_8x303_browning.wav" Stereo="Yes"/>
</no_damage>
</c8x303>
<c792>
<no_damage>
<sound file="xgun_792mm_mg81.wav" FileInt="gun_792mm_mg81.wav" Stereo="Yes"/>
</no_damage>
</c792>

gecko
September 16th, 2013, 16:17
Fantastic! I'll be downloading it as soon as it becomes available.

keenanbrown
September 16th, 2013, 16:39
:jump: wow beautiful plane.. so i do not have to have MAW for this to work right.. i just have a stock version with new patch and some planes added

ndicki
September 17th, 2013, 00:06
Excellent news! Many thanks to all the team. I've been wanting one of these for some time... :jump: :jump: :jump:

Led Zeppelin
September 17th, 2013, 03:06
Downloading now, thank you so much! :jump:

hairyspin
September 17th, 2013, 03:18
Well done gentlemen, a much-anticipated bird! This thread is being stickied for now.

Pat Pattle
September 17th, 2013, 03:22
Wow that was quick work, can't wait to get home to give her a spin! :jump:

Thanks to all involved.:salute:

gosd
September 17th, 2013, 08:56
Excellent work from all of you! :ernae:

Is there a front guns view?:kilroy:

sdsbolt
September 17th, 2013, 17:22
Is there a front guns view?:kilroy:

no..sorry. thought those guns were pilot controlled til it was too late :mixedsmi:

gecko
September 17th, 2013, 18:27
Interesting. Good info about the Beaufort seems scarce, about half of what I read says they were fixed, half say they were trainable. The mounting doesn't seem very conducive to swiveling them around.

Cuttles
September 18th, 2013, 04:21
Terrific job by all, and beatifully presented too with all the steps: thanks very much Rob.

HouseHobbit
September 21st, 2013, 19:43
Thanks to ALL for these..
Having fun with them..

First built a model of these as a very young hobbit (8) I thought they were Cute then..LOL!!)

Led Zeppelin
September 24th, 2013, 11:50
I am in the process of building some missions for this aircraft and I have a question regarding the MkIa torpedo bomber (I haven't tested the medium bomber).

When mission starts, fuel quantity is 80,5%. Once it reached 80%, it drops to 63%. After this, there are one or two other drops like this, it is very difficult to estimate the fuel quantity remaining.

Have I missed something or has it been mande intentionnaly in order to have a range as accurate as possible?

This aircratf is absolutely beautifull!:jump:

sdsbolt
September 27th, 2013, 03:44
When mission starts, fuel quantity is 80,5%. Once it reached 80%, it drops to 63%. After this, there are one or two other drops like this, it is very difficult to estimate the fuel quantity remaining.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Sorry I can only fix 3d issues myself.

Led Zeppelin
September 28th, 2013, 02:19
Range of the Beaufort in CFS3 is about 580 NM. Real aircraft range was about 1400 NM.

It's a problem in mission building because it is not possible to recreate some historical missions and I don't know how to fix it.

gosd
September 28th, 2013, 05:38
In the .cfg file the stated range is:Range: 1,035 miles @ 200 mph
You can go in the .xdp file and at the bottom change both the radius from 851 to 1035

hairyspin
September 28th, 2013, 05:38
I expect there's something wrong in the fuel consumption rates since the fuel capacities are as per the literature: possibly the fuel flow scalar value needs tweaking. The combat radius in the .xdp isn't aircraft range; it's an estimate of how far an aircraft can fly, then fight and return to base without draining the tanks dry.

Led Zeppelin
September 28th, 2013, 09:21
Thanks four your input... Flight Model world is mysterious to me!! :icon_lol:

I've done what you have recemmended gosd and it's working fine, it's a good tweak before an accurate final fix!:wavey:

gecko
September 28th, 2013, 10:57
In the .cfg file the stated range is:Range: 1,035 miles @ 200 mph
You can go in the .xdp file and at the bottom change both the radius from 851 to 1035

Does this actually work? I always assumed CFS3 ignored those and used the fuel info in the FM, like it does for a few other xdp values. If so, cool!

hairyspin
September 28th, 2013, 12:13
Does this actually work? I always assumed CFS3 ignored those and used the fuel info in the FM, like it does for a few other xdp values. If so, cool!

I'd like to know too: the .xdp data should be in meters (according to the sdk), so a figure of 851 is rather less than a kilometre!

gosd
September 28th, 2013, 14:36
850km=1360miles:wavey:

MajorMagee
September 28th, 2013, 17:53
1 Km = 0.6213712 miles so 1360 km = 845 miles

gosd
September 28th, 2013, 19:28
So then what should be the values of CombatRadius1 and CombatRadius2 ?

hairyspin
September 29th, 2013, 00:57
Humph! I've looked at the stock aircraft and some AvH for comparison and either everyone is wrong or the sdk is talking horsefeathers. I suspect the latter. :pop4:

NachtPiloten
September 29th, 2013, 12:08
Hi - I made the flightmodel for the plane and did not calculate the range. If you want I can go back and do what needs to be done to make it as per the manual. Let me know it is an easy 5 minutes to get it correct.

BUT if you are really serious remember that cruise range would be at something like 70% throttle at +1 lb of boost at say 2100 rpm (these are just for conversation) I would need to check the specs again.

Just let me know! Love the fact that you guys care....:jump:

gosd
September 29th, 2013, 13:18
Yes please!:jump:I really would like a tutorial on this, this subject as been haunting me for some time now.:isadizzy:
Also why two combat radius? Should their value be the same? Nobody does it the same way.:kilroy:

Thanks in advance.

gosd
September 29th, 2013, 13:45
Yes please!:jump:I really would like a tutorial on this, this subject as been haunting me for some time now.:isadizzy:
Also why two combat radius? Should their value be the same? Nobody does it the same way.:kilroy:

Thanks in advance.

gosd
September 29th, 2013, 13:48
Two posts! Just got overintusiastic here.:icon_lol:

gecko
September 29th, 2013, 15:19
Yes this is fascinating. I'd love to have a plane that could be flown by the pilots manual - full checklists, power settings etc. I've tried with the P-51 due to the wealth of info available, but it's pretty tricky. Would love to hear what you know about the matter Ted.

NachtPiloten
September 30th, 2013, 13:26
never really was much off an issue since the theater for CFS3 is about 1075 km or 625 miles give or take. So most planes (well the bombers I focused on) could easily fly this round trip, if not fully loaded. But nevertheless we can make our planes much more realistic if we want.

For instance - the Do 217e4 with 801D would cruise at 2200 rpm, 1.1 ata at around 220 mph say 15000ft at 15,5 tonne for 850-1000 km round trip. We can enter this data into some of our handy dandy flightmodel worksheets and calculate a fuel scalar of about 1.5-1.7. Now this estimation does not include weights. So obviously the heavier the load the shorter the distance. Also for external load the drag they included would effect range.

Take the Lancaster we have - in reality almost never did she fly with full tanks and full load. If they were going to Berlin with 3 tonnes maybe 65% fuel was max. (I have all this somewhere). Take this for one <Loadout MissionType="STRIKE" Name="Fuel 73% + 12,000lb Tall Boy"> So a B1 would have this much fuel and the 12000 load and not sure it this was a max range load, should be. That is why the flyers never knew where they were going but if they knew the bombload they could guess. Lighter load meant the Big City.

I usually test fly the planes with these criteria when I make them (not the scalar just the rpm/boost/weight stuff) to see if they are close to being on target.

Oh, climb rates - this is another area that we need some help. It usually took a fully loaded lanc 30 minutes to get to 10000-12000 feet. So when we see the claimed rates think 40% fuel no ammo or bombs and full throttle. Now some will argue but I do have climb charts for several planes and they all use something like 80% throttle, 75% boost and a target speed. The Do 217M1 with 16.3 tonnes as a climb speed of 275km while at 12.2 tonnes 245km so the heavier plane would be at much higher boost loads for shorter periods of time.

Only accurate climb rates are from military testing!!! Not manufacturer's claims!!!! Well except the RLM testing data....

I went to NASAM and ordered pages of confiscated and "secret" flight test data and used this to model several planes. The best one I did was the he177a5 she is pretty much spot on.

The Bristol - not much free stuff on the web, and the pilot's manual is available for 20.00 US. So I would have to use a few sources to guess with the Taurus engine to get what we want but I can come somewhat close (think horse shoes and hand grenades)

Let me know.

gosd
September 30th, 2013, 14:54
Thank you for the info, does this mean that the combat radius of this A/C should be 1075? Why two combat radius? Should their value be the same? Nobody does it the same way.

gecko
September 30th, 2013, 19:58
The more accurate the better. Now that I'm doing some real life flying there are a lot of areas where I see that we can improve CFS3 to better replicate the challenge of simply flying the airplane. Do you know much about the engine friction and efficiency tables in the .air file? My attempts to get a proper idle rpm seem to hinge on them, but it doesn't seem to work without throwing off the whole power curve.

NachtPiloten
October 1st, 2013, 17:59
well someone else has noticed. Whilst making cfs2 air files I was able to revise the throttle position and friction entries to idle at the correct rpm. This adjustment did not effect other aspects of the engine. Where are you doing this is CFS3?

gecko
October 1st, 2013, 20:00
You reminded me of something I had forgotten. A quick test shows that changing idle_rpm_friction_scalar in the aircraft.cfg to 2.6 will produce a 600rpm idle in the Avhistory 4.0 P-51D. However, that is with the throttle all the way out. In reality you would stall the engine if you pulled the throttle all the way out, and would have to have it in a little to get your 600 rpm. It also helps to bring min_gov_rpm up to about 2000 to be able to adjust rpm with throttle at low power settings.

In my other testing I had been messing with Record: 0508 Power Efficiency and Record: 0509 Friction Loss in the .air file with inconsistent but potentially promising results.

NachtPiloten
October 2nd, 2013, 13:18
Also - one thing that I wonder about it that it takes 40-50% throttle to get the plane to move. We can change the propeller efficiency to get more low speed thrust. We do this for all the seaplanes as the throttle propeller tables are not such that there is enough thrust to move a plane in water if you use the normal process. Any thoughts on the 40-50% issue?

gecko
October 2nd, 2013, 19:08
Well, not having flown anything with more than about 120hp and 2400lb I can't comment on how it would be with a big heavy aircraft with horsepower to spare, but it doesn't take very much to get rolling in a Cessna. I suspect you're suspicion is justified though.

I have noticed that our engines in CFS3 don't develop a whole lot of hp until fairly high mp and rpm is reached. The P-51 won't even start rolling with 40inhg mp and 3000rpm and brakes off even though there is a placard stating that it should not be run above 40inhg without the tail secured. I'm not sure if the issue is with the prop like you mention, engine friction or some combination of factors. My guess is that we need to adjust the props as you did for seaplanes and get more friction at low rpm while leaving the rest as it is.

NachtPiloten
October 3rd, 2013, 11:12
I'll share a table we did for the ju52 float plane.

gecko
October 5th, 2013, 09:52
Not sure how you sent it, if by email it probably bounced, I had to change email a few months ago. Anyway, how specific are the tables? Can the same ones be used on a wide variety of aircraft/propellers or will this produce odd results?

NachtPiloten
October 6th, 2013, 05:42
No each table has to be revised using air.ed for each plane and they are very different. It is a labor of love as it takes time to revise test and such. Each table has 100 entries, which 30-50 need to be changed. Oh there are two tables that should be altered too. Not overly burdensome but takes a bit of time. I would think that land based planes would not require much of a tweak, just on the low end near the high pitch settings as the game defaults to the higher pitch figures. Send me a pm so I can get your email correct.

Ted

dmaloof
October 13th, 2013, 15:08
Any news on the other beaf's?

HouseHobbit
October 16th, 2013, 10:48
Is it just me??
The Guns on my right wing of the Beaufort aren't firing>>:ques:

Bravo/4
October 16th, 2013, 14:05
Beauforts didn't have guns in the starboard wing!

HouseHobbit
October 16th, 2013, 14:18
Beauforts didn't have guns in the starboard wing!

OOPPPS!!
I didn't know that..WOW.
Thanks for the Beaufort all, she is fun..:salute:

Bravo/4
October 16th, 2013, 14:58
No Prob!

Capt. Winters
October 16th, 2013, 15:00
Hi Guys,

more beauforts are coming, we have models and textures just need a bit of FM tweaking and histories etc finalised.

Owen, once the Australian built MkV and MKVIII's came out they had guns in both wings, but I believe they only saw service in the PTO after 1943.

regards Rob.

HouseHobbit
October 16th, 2013, 15:04
Hi Guys,

more beauforts are coming, we have models and textures just need a bit of FM tweaking and histories etc finalised.

Owen, once the Australian built MkV and MKVIII's came out they had guns in both wings, but I believe they only saw service in the PTO after 1943.

regards Rob.
Thanks Rob, and ALL..
I do enjoy Her..
I started missions in MAW for Her..
Led Zeppelin posted some Great missions already, grateful to him for these..:salute:

gecko
October 16th, 2013, 18:25
Hi Guys,

regards Rob.

The Aussies did seem to prefer more firepower, also up gunned their version of the Beaufighter with 4 extra 50 cals.

NachtPiloten
October 18th, 2013, 11:06
Hi Guys,

regards Rob.

Will have these done if you still need them. I was trying to find more data and there is very little.

gosd
October 19th, 2013, 03:59
I for one would be interested in more of them.:jump:
Could you find a way to add the front gun view?

gosd
October 19th, 2013, 14:03
As anybody noticed that putting 100% of fuel in the loadout only registers at 80.5% on the fligth data (right hand side):icon_eek:

sdsbolt
October 20th, 2013, 04:18
Could you find a way to add the front gun view?

Doubt that will happen. Lost the final versions of this plane in HD crash (though 99% of backed up) so I would have to apply several fixes across several a/c .

anybody noticed that putting 100% of fuel in the loadout only registers at 80.5% on the fligth data

Yup, that was addressed earlier in this thread. I assume its a flight model issue.

Thanx for your input:salute:

gosd
October 20th, 2013, 06:24
Doubt that will happen. Lost the final versions of this plane in HD crash (though 99% of backed up) so I would have to apply several fixes across several a/c .

Yup, that was addressed earlier in this thread. I assume its a flight model issue.

Thanx for your input:salute:

Thank you for the answers, I should of read the thread with more attention.:blind:
Sorry about the HD crash, it's always a pain when that happens.:tgun2:

NachtPiloten
October 20th, 2013, 08:47
I noticed that there must have been a legacy entry in the air file that I noticed a few days ago ( and did not when I made it) that has an external fuel entry that has about 19% of the total fuel load. Not sure if this is it but makes sense. I never placed these in any air previously as when you make a drop tank you have a fuel capacity figure in the xdp that is added to the plane when the tank is mounted. I will remove this and adjust the fuel loads as needed to get it correct. Will send the revised file to Steve for his use (upload) unless I hear otherwise.

NachtPiloten
October 20th, 2013, 12:34
I noticed that there must have been a legacy entry in the air file that I noticed a few days ago ( and did not when I made it) that has an external fuel entry that has about 19% of the total fuel load. Not sure if this is it but makes sense. I never placed these in any air previously as when you make a drop tank you have a fuel capacity figure in the xdp that is added to the plane when the tank is mounted. I will remove this and adjust the fuel loads as needed to get it correct. Will send the revised file to Steve for his use (upload) unless I hear otherwise.

Ok I fixed the airfile to have the correct internal fuel capacity (684) and the plane now has a range (modified the fuel scalar) to about 1065 at 5000 feet at 167 TAS with proper rpm/boost and at regular cruise of 211 TAS at 10000 around 840 miles. The plane did have an optional internal bombbay tank of 135 imp gallons. We have these but not sure which pylon will work. If it is 0 then we can have this plane with about 1500-1600 mile range with external weapons. Just need to know so I can mess with the xdp.

gosd
October 23rd, 2013, 13:12

When will this upload be available?