PDA

View Full Version : Unable to start CFS2

TotalAnihilation10
January 15th, 2009, 16:45
As you can all see, I'm new to the forums here, so just bare with me if this has already been talked about...

I've recently reinstalled CFS2 on my computer after a complete reinstallation of Windows XP... Now, I'm not sure if it's a display probem or what, but whenever I attempt to run CFS2, all I get is a black screen. It loads itself, and I can tell because whenever you wait for a few minutes, you can hear the button sounds as you move your mouse around the right side of the screen. I'm not sure what it is, but no matter what I do with it, all I can get is a black screen. Only once it loaded the main menu after I did something to the compatibility with 640x400 resolution, along with the .CFG file in the program folder. Something involving the fullscreen/640 resolution causes it to not load. Even once Got the main menu to load, once I tried to start the flight the black screen came back along with the radar and "we've got bandits in our area" message from the squadron. For some reason it just wont display anything. It seems to be something involving the resolution, but I really dont know... Does anyone here have any idea what's going on here and how I can fix it?

Shadow Wolf 07
January 15th, 2009, 17:29
check to be sure you have DirectX 8 or later installed, Other than that I'd say unistall the game, defragment and reinstall.

Good luck Mate and welcome aboard :kiss:

TotalAnihilation10
January 15th, 2009, 17:51
Thanks, but nope, I've uninstalled and reinstalled this thing a total of four times now... And I've got DirectX 9.0c, so it's not the card driver causing it...

miamieagle
January 15th, 2009, 18:05
What video Card are you using and do you have all of it drivers install:wavey:?

TotalAnihilation10
January 15th, 2009, 18:13
Uhh...

I'm running an nVidia GeForce 8400 GT with DirectX 9.0c. It's something with the game as everything else I have installed on the computer including FSX work fine...

ckissling
January 15th, 2009, 18:17
Try mission builder, if it starts, play on it . Then close out,shut down and restart and then try cfs2. ckissling

TotalAnihilation10
January 15th, 2009, 18:28
Well, not to sound like a total moron, but isnt the mission builder in the CFS2 main menu, or are you talking about something else? And also, I can access the main menu in Windowed mode by modifying the .CFG file, but it still is incapable of launching an actual flight, the window just goes black again and freezes...

ckissling
January 15th, 2009, 18:43
I just had a problem of my cfs2 not starting, but I ran mission builder, and
closed out, restarted and cfs2 has run fine.ckissling

The_Editor
January 15th, 2009, 19:12
Have you tried this:

In the CFS2.cfg change this:

LOADWINDOW=0

to this:

LOADWINDOW=1

See if that fixes it.

I have got a 8600GT and that fix worked with mine.

TotalAnihilation10
January 16th, 2009, 05:16
Somehow or another, that just solved my problem Editor...
It looks like I must have managed to overlook that in the Configuration file, but as long as you check yes to LOADWINDOW and LOADSIM it seems to load fine. Hmm...I wonder why they were set to zero upon install...

Anyway, thanks!
:woot: