PDA

View Full Version : FTX Global V 1.1

Roger
September 5th, 2013, 03:03
Just seen over at the ORBX site that the first patch is being packaged up and should be available for download in the next day or two.

Firekitten
September 5th, 2013, 03:51
wozzit fix?

flaviossa
September 5th, 2013, 05:06
Released: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/64168-ftx-global-patch-110/

Roger
September 5th, 2013, 05:55
wozzit fix?

It's all on the ORBX site.

Firekitten
September 5th, 2013, 07:08
I was feeling lazy... you seemed to know so much about it I figured I'd ask :P

It certainly improved Africa... the right trees make a big difference.

MCDesigns
September 5th, 2013, 07:34
I was feeling lazy... you seemed to know so much about it I figured I'd ask :P

It certainly improved Africa... the right trees make a big difference.

really? can you post an image? I really like default Africa with the Acacias. I am not a fan of FTXG, but would like to see the difference.

Firekitten
September 5th, 2013, 07:53
This is ftxG plus scenerytech landclass for africa... I find the FTXG Textures (In central africa where I'm flying at the moment (you will all know where soon) is so much nicer... more green! like its actually meant to be rather than the arrid sandpit ftx default makes it. More variation and scope too.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm365/rosefern_album/ftxafrica1_zps9cda1624.jpg~original

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm365/rosefern_album/ftxafrica2_zps5cbd0597.jpg~original

In this area its a combination of Marula, Mahogany and some Tamboti... rather than the Acacia which is more typical to the savanah regions... They are there though and look great. In my eyes, it captures the colours of Africa far better than anything that came before it... it makes GEX look weak.

MCDesigns
September 5th, 2013, 08:20
Thanks for the images and the text. the variation in trees bumped it up a notch for me. I still feel the FTXG textures (and orbx in general) are way to dark for my tastes. I do lots of photoreal areas in Africa, so I can see the very diverse landscapes it has to offer, nice to know FTXG does help some in that area.

Firekitten
September 5th, 2013, 08:44
Things Are darker... If anything FTXG is closest to an actual aerial view... photo texture ie, satellite or aircraft shots tend to scatter a lot of light and look lighter... especially satellite work.

DaveKDEN
September 5th, 2013, 08:48
This is ftxG plus scenerytech landclass for africa... I find the FTXG Textures (In central africa where I'm flying at the moment (you will all know where soon) is so much nicer... more green! like its actually meant to be rather than the arrid sandpit ftx default makes it. More variation and scope too.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm365/rosefern_album/ftxafrica1_zps9cda1624.jpg~original

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm365/rosefern_album/ftxafrica2_zps5cbd0597.jpg~original

In this area its a combination of Marula, Mahogany and some Tamboti... rather than the Acacia which is more typical to the savanah regions... They are there though and look great. In my eyes, it captures the colours of Africa far better than anything that came before it... it makes GEX look weak.

What aircraft add-on are you flying there?

Roger
September 5th, 2013, 08:55
Things Are darker... If anything FTXG is closest to an actual aerial view... photo texture ie, satellite or aircraft shots tend to scatter a lot of light and look lighter... especially satellite work.

That's it Rachael! Soon as saw the ORBX textures they looked so right to my Northern Europen eyes that I bought all the regions and many airfields.

MCDesigns
September 5th, 2013, 08:58

We'll agree to disagree. I was up last week in a 172 and while what I saw had more contrast than FS, it was a sunny day and much more lit up that what I see in ORBX regions. I know the lighting system in FSX is partly to blame as it sucks and not having variable sunlight due to cloud shadows plays a big part also, but this is why I hate simming after a real flight, to big a difference. I look at lots of sat imagery and aerial imagery and agree to a point, but what I usually see in Bings birds eye view is the closest to what I see out the window of a plane and that is what I want to duplicate in the sim. Every time I fly an ORBX region I feel like it is heavy overcast all the time.

Firekitten
September 5th, 2013, 09:01
I still prefer it over default!

spotlope
September 5th, 2013, 10:13
FTXG combined with SweetFX (or perhaps ENB - I don't use that one) can provide an amazingly realistic look. The trick is using a shader modifier like SweetFX to lighten things, add contrast, and desaturate somewhat. I really love what I'm seeing now.

JAllen
September 5th, 2013, 11:42
Looking forward to seeing how Nevada and Arizona look without the green everywhere.

stovall
September 5th, 2013, 13:40
Thanks for the heads up guys, been away for a few days. Nice to come home the FTX Global 1.1. Installing now.

myles
September 5th, 2013, 14:14
Rachel was using Dave Molyneaux's Walrus for her screenies (supermarine_walrus-1.zip). It is a port from FS9, but works well in FSX :mixedsmi:

Myles

DaveKDEN
September 5th, 2013, 14:26
Rachel was using Dave Molyneaux's Walrus for her screenies (supermarine_walrus-1.zip). It is a port from FS9, but works well in FSX :mixedsmi:

Myles
Thanks

PRB
September 5th, 2013, 14:40
Ok, I don't understand this at all. I bought FTX Global when it came out, and installed the patch just now. All I get is awesomer textures for North America, not the whole world. Here's a couple of screen shots taken from FN18, in Angola. One with North America selected in FTX Central, and the other with "FTX Global". Which one is awesome? They look the same to me, and they look like default. Further, from airports in North America, I get the new textures no matter what's selected in FTX Central. How the heck do I get the new textures to show up in the rest of the world?

Roger
September 5th, 2013, 14:44
Paul, did you install the patch with FTX Central at Global with hybrid turned off?

PRB
September 5th, 2013, 14:52
Paul, did you install the patch with FTX Central at Global with hybrid turned off?

Yep.

PRB
September 5th, 2013, 15:01
@Firekitten: Where were you flying when you took those screen shots with the Walrus? I'd like to compare with what my install is showing. The book says I should turn hybrid off if I don't intend to fly between regions. I tried it with hybrid on and off, with no difference I could see. But heck, maybe that's what FN18 is supposed to look like with FTX Global installed. I don't know. Need something to compare.

ShawnG
September 5th, 2013, 15:10
Ok, I don't understand this at all. I bought FTX Global when it came out, and installed the patch just now. All I get is awesomer textures for North America, not the whole world. Here's a couple of screen shots taken from FN18, in Angola. One with North America selected in FTX Central, and the other with "FTX Global". Which one is awesome? They look the same to me, and they look like default. Further, from airports in North America, I get the new textures no matter what's selected in FTX Central. How the heck do I get the new textures to show up in the rest of the world?

when you install FTXG those textures become fsx's textures. period. doesn't matter what you have selected in ftx central. central just changes what autogen objects and trees and landclass definitions are used. and that is definitely NOT default. if you don't like it, that's your call, but default textures in Africa are super fugly and far too bright.

PRB
September 5th, 2013, 15:23
Rgr, thanks ShawnG. It's not that I don't like what I see in the screen shots I posted. I just wasn't sure anything changed from the default textures. I just want to satisfy myself that the install did something, and didn't fail somewhere along the way. Your explanation about what happens when changing regions is the sort of thing I was looking for.

Firekitten
September 5th, 2013, 15:28
Near Kiribi on the coast of Cameroon...

As for the shots... both look like FTXG textures actually to me.... a lot better than default. The LANDCLASS for Africa wont have changed at all... unless you have addon, thats what you may be seeing... that it looks similar in layout.

They did enhance the north American landclass a bit and included a one for Europe... Africa will hopefully get the treatment too... I use scenerytech but its not perfect, but a darn sight better than default. Angola is pretty darn bland in places tbh, central africa is gorgeous with global... the sahara too :D

And yes, that's Dave's Walrus :D My paintscheme obviously :D featuring in my new book. :D

PRB
September 5th, 2013, 15:39
Thanks FK! I went to Cameroon and it looked like it does in your pics. I'm happy now... Nice Walrus too!

warchild
September 5th, 2013, 20:47
It does look awfully darned pretty.. Its just still too danged unaffordable..

stovall
September 6th, 2013, 07:10
Pam, if you get a windfall, this is the first place you should invest it. From my perspective it give FSX and P3D an entire new look. Until now I have relied on GEX and UTX. No doubt a century note is pricey but after biting the bullet, I have no regrets.

Firekitten
September 6th, 2013, 07:13
As Pam knows, I fly almost exclusively in Fs Economy... a MMO economy based offshoot of flight sim using 9, X and Xplane. Generally the world is divided... orbx areas get high traffic, the rest does not... Global has spread the userbase wide! More are venturing out of their precious PNW and into pastures new... As someone that always flew these other areas... its lead me to explore more extensively... South America, Asia... Africa... its all delightfully exciting to explore. It really has made fsx a whole new simulator... the quality just doubled.

Deacon211
September 6th, 2013, 12:02
Does anyone have the problem with the install program asking for a disk #2? I had a similar problem with the original install but can't remember what I did to fix it.

Deacon

mmann
September 6th, 2013, 12:57
Does anyone have the problem with the install program asking for a disk #2? I had a similar problem with the original install but can't remember what I did to fix it.

Deacon

You cannot run the installer from inside the ZIP file.

1. Extract the ZIP into its own temporary folder, you will see two files inside this folder
2. Run the .exe file

Deacon211
September 7th, 2013, 15:51
You cannot run the installer from inside the ZIP file.

1. Extract the ZIP into its own temporary folder, you will see two files inside this folder
2. Run the .exe file

Thanks man! I figured it out. I unzipped it, but moved the exe which separated it from the other file. Duh! LOL!

Deacon

TeaSea
September 8th, 2013, 05:37
Crap!

I can't keep up.

beana51
September 14th, 2013, 07:32
Yes Michael,Simming after Real flying.....The absence of The Suns Candle power will always make simming less than a glory of sunny day.The Great Masters knew of the impact of light/shadow, in great art..Never flew over Africa,Mush less the Sahara.How ever our South West? Very Bright on sunny days.Blindly Bright...A pilots greatest accessory is good shades!...But all the wild life programs show its BRIGHT....As Bright as a Lion for instance. In The Bright Yellowish Grass......Thats why its called simming, A Reasonable Facsimile, For a Desk Top ? its as Real As It Can Get For Now...The near future may change all of this.. However Muchael in the Darker Catskills Of NY? SKYTOP is just fine.Vin<label for="rb_iconid_24">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif</label>

Say Hello To My Little Friend!

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/stock-photo-lion-stalking-through-long-grass-26297500_zpsb90dce99.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/stock-photo-lion-stalking-through-long-grass-26297500_zpsb90dce99.jpg.html)

TeiscoDelRay
September 14th, 2013, 10:08
Does Orbx Global change roads and highways? I not to fond of the way the default highways are done,, looks like a string of christmas lights rather than a working major interstate or highway.

Paul Anderson
September 14th, 2013, 10:53
Does Orbx Global change roads and highways? I not to fond of the way the default highways are done,, looks like a string of christmas lights rather than a working major interstate or highway.

See thread FTX Global to have companion products:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?81929-FTX-Global-to-have-companion-products

The ORBX link there describes what's coming up for vector roads, rivers, etc.