PDA

View Full Version : O/T Vista problem deleting files

Lipra
January 15th, 2009, 10:52
I did a repair of vista some time back and now some files will not let me delete them because I do not have the correct admin rights. I have a normal admin account any help would be appreciated

djscoo
January 15th, 2009, 11:15
Turning User Account Control off may solve that.

EMatheson
January 15th, 2009, 11:31
you might try taking ownership of the files - or simply rebooting the machine.
Most likely, rebooting the machine will solve the problem... (this I know from woeful experience!)

Lionheart
January 15th, 2009, 12:11
Try deleting vista and you should once again have control over your own computer.

:kilroy:

Bill

EDIT: That is a joke.. If you delete vista, you'll need to put something like WinXP or Win7 on there. ;)

Buddha13
January 15th, 2009, 13:28
Hi all,
Look for a freeware program called Unlocker.That will get rid of anything in Vista.

Buddha13

kilo delta
January 15th, 2009, 13:48
Just log in in safe mode and try again. :)

Gizmo
January 15th, 2009, 16:04
Give these reg tweaks a try

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/showthread.php?t=852

they add a r-click menu that allows you to take owership/control of folders and files without having you use cmd

ive been using them for a while works a treat
(theres a remove reg tweak in there aswell if you want to remove it from your menu later on)

laters
gizmo

Lipra
January 16th, 2009, 07:20
I will try over the week end to see what works.

Lipra
January 18th, 2009, 06:10
I will try over the week end to see what works.

Still cant get the file to delete but thanks anyway.

harleyman
January 18th, 2009, 09:25
You need to enter the file you want to delete and change it give you 100% owership of it..That does not always do it though..Expecially if Vista thinks it is being used by another file...

I like Bills answer ......LOL :woot: sorry...I'm an XP fan....

fliger747
January 18th, 2009, 17:57
Right Click to get to properties, the securityu tab, then edit and take full control and ownership of the file. One of the things that drives me wild about Vista, might be OK for a shared work computer but absolutly insane for a private PC.

T.