PDA

View Full Version : Who says government has no humour?

Paul Anderson
September 1st, 2013, 19:28
A few weeks ago we were told they were making car insurance go down (no coin out of pocket for them). Yay!
Now we're told driver's licence and plate registration is going up (coin in pocket for them).
My wallet laughed so hard it spit up blood.
(don't want this to be political. but - damn, do they think nobody notices?)

Naismith
September 1st, 2013, 22:56
Worse still the UK is effectively taxing Scotch whisky under a (gnash gnash) an European rule by some shenanigans for the makers to prove it is true Scotch. OF course it will be passed on to the consumer. Personally, I can tell WHISKY from any other WHISKEY.
Hey governments - get out of our lives!

IanHenry
September 2nd, 2013, 00:22
Worse still the UK is effectively taxing Scotch whisky under a (gnash gnash) an European rule by some shenanigans for the makers to prove it is true Scotch. OF course it will be passed on to the consumer. Personally, I can tell WHISKY from any other WHISKEY.

Sorry Naismith, I don't understand what you are saying here?

Regards,
Ian.

CWOJackson
September 2nd, 2013, 04:22

Time to start home brewing.

KellyB
September 2nd, 2013, 05:04
A few weeks ago we were told they were making car insurance go down (no coin out of pocket for them). Yay!
Now we're told driver's licence and plate registration is going up (coin in pocket for them).
My wallet laughed so hard it spit up blood.
(don't want this to be political. but - damn, do they think nobody notices?)

It's similar to the laws governing the conservation of matter and energy, I think. It's all about balance...

If the cost forces you to give up your avatar, can I have it??? Please???

stansdds
September 2nd, 2013, 05:14
Time to start home brewing.

Beer and wine home brewing for personal consumption is legal in the U.S., but distilling spirits, even for personal consumption, is a federal crime. Why? Because the federal government taxes distilled spirits and thus it is a regulated substance.

Daveroo
September 2nd, 2013, 08:00
It's similar to the laws governing the conservation of matter and energy, I think. It's all about balance...

If the cost forces you to give up your avatar, can I have it??? Please???

good one......beat me to it..

Odie
September 2nd, 2013, 09:52
Beer and wine home brewing for personal consumption is legal in the U.S., but distilling spirits, even for personal consumption, is a federal crime. Why? Because the federal government taxes distilled spirits and thus it is a regulated substance.

If you're speaking of moonshine making, it's legal in some states now. It has to be done under certain conditions and sold in certain locations (varies state by state). If you have a taste for it and are in the right state, no longer
do you have to meet out on dirt road to get your mason-jar filled.

stansdds
September 2nd, 2013, 10:12
If you're speaking of moonshine making, it's legal in some states now. It has to be done under certain conditions and sold in certain locations (varies state by state). If you have a taste for it and are in the right state, no longer
do you have to meet out on dirt road to get your mason-jar filled.

There is a big difference between legal moonshine and distilling your own without permits. You can get permits to make your own and sell your spirits, but no one is likely to jump through all the hoops and pay all the fees and taxes just to brew a few gallons for themselves.

SPman
September 3rd, 2013, 18:31
It's legal to distill your own spirits (not for resale) in New Zealand, but not in Australia, so, all the distilling equipment sold in New Zealand is sold in Australian brewing shops as "Distill your own aromatic herbs, lavender, etc...", The wife has done several batches (for home consumption). I'll just stick to homebrewing beer - trying to find the ideal IIPA for my taste buds....it's a long process of trial and error, but.....somebodies got to do it.......