PDA

View Full Version : OK Lazarus.... FLOPS....if so then SCB-125s!

crashaz
August 25th, 2013, 16:48
If I can get the FLOPS working and people can actually land at night and in bad weather... then I will get this out of drydock...:salute:

skyhawka4m
August 25th, 2013, 16:54
:applause:

warchild
August 25th, 2013, 20:26
Yeeeehaaa Crashaz :) :) looks great ..;

lazarus
August 25th, 2013, 21:40
YES! YES YES YES! We need more carriers!

For the FLOLS, you have to define 3 attach point. Again, I was using MDLX; in the latest release, Arno addressed stability issues and added a bunch of new tools, a big improvement over the previous versions.
Using the Majestic for example, the three attach points are

Name: attachpt_runway_start
Position: (13.30; -90.10; 14.90)
Name: attachpt_runway_edge
position: (13.80; -90.00; 14.90)

These 2 points define the start and edge of the runway, at the stern of the ship. Runway start should be the center line at the touch down point,
runway edge is parallel to runway start, perpendicular to the end of the runway. I think this defines the off angle to align the angle of the FLOLS lights with the angle of the runway.

At the end of the runway is the third attachpoint

Name: attachpt_runway_end
position: (-2.00; 107.00; 14.90)

I think this one defines the longitudinal and lateral position of the meatball by moving the point towards or away from the center line of the ship and fore and aft.

the points directions are ( [lateral, - moves left, + moves right] first number, [ longitudinal, - behind the center, + ahead of center] second number, [ vertical, - below datum, + above datum] third number)

I started with the runway start and end on the center line, and the runway edge on the right side line, and ended up with the start and edge far to the right, right on the deck edge, and the runway end far right and well forward to bring the FLOLS lights into position at the meatball sponson. I used the arresting wire vertical position to start, and nudged the vertical position up a bit. Its straight forward once you know which attachpoint callouts are for the FLOLS.
Load up the majestic model, turn on the display attach points- the paper clip icon- and use the attached objects editor to highlight and look over the points to get a feel for the offset. One maddening little catch. While MDLX shows the attach points, it does NOT show the FLOLS lights. So its a tedious adjust the positions, compile the model, load up the sim and fly it. And take screen shots. Close sim, fire up MDLX and adjust. Repeat. After a while, you get a feel for the offset and 'how much moves what where',
so the process gets faster.
Hope that helps. Looking forward to boltering off her deck!

SkippyBing
August 26th, 2013, 01:48
I think the main difficulty in positioning the attach points for the runway start/end/etc. is that they seem to be scaled for a Nimitz class sized ship so if you want to use it on anything else you have to play around to find the best compromise.

Loving the model, should give the Victorious' air group something to war game against!

Sindhu
August 26th, 2013, 05:07
:applause: :applause: :applause: :salute: :salute: :salute:

crashaz
August 26th, 2013, 19:57
Alright! That is the info I was looking for... first time I will ever set the lights... and then adjust the model to it. :icon_lol:

trowelmaster
August 29th, 2013, 11:14
:engel016: O-Let it be so...

Lionheart
August 29th, 2013, 11:20
Man, that is some nice work! Is that shot in FS or is that rendered?

crashaz
August 29th, 2013, 14:09
It is a render but I am burning the textures in and the models will reflect both starboard elevators.... fore and aft of the crane...that was the major difference.

warchild
August 29th, 2013, 14:39
after your post on the other thread, I'm really looking forward to this release.. She's looking beautiful, and its one more place to land a P-61 :)..

trucker17
August 29th, 2013, 17:57
If I can get the FLOPS working and people can actually land at night and in bad weather... then I will get this out of drydock...:salute:

Looking Awesome.

crashaz
August 29th, 2013, 19:31
Been working my way from the port side forward and moving aft.... all but the port quarter done on this side... you can see the new pieces in different colors. The hull started out as the original FSX Essex done by Michael Davies... I am modfiying the hull of course and added my own island I had been working on for Oriskany. So more enclosed hangars...is the name of the game... but allowing me to save on some polys.... that I will probably use somewhere else. :icon_lol: