PDA

View Full Version : Sharknado - Shortage of good ideas now?

Montie
August 23rd, 2013, 03:21
No its not exactly news, just spotted this...man the creative minds at work. Who think of this...

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iwsqFR5bh6Q" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Ferry_vO
August 23rd, 2013, 04:02
I've seen the entire abomination, eighty minutes of my life I'll never get back...

Sometimes a bad movie can still be quite entertaining to watch, but this was just awful.. The acting, the story, the effects...... :isadizzy:

burcham8
August 23rd, 2013, 04:32
No one emphasizes studying literature. That's why there's so much "reality" TV. No writers of any quality, so we get to watch show after show of people behaving badly (unfortunately, there's so much of that around, it doesn't need to be scripted...:sleep:). Now, as for these SHARKNADO writers, I wish they wouldn't bother!

Marc

burcham8
August 23rd, 2013, 04:33
By the way, Montie, your avatar is simply the BEST!

Marc

Paul Anderson
August 23rd, 2013, 05:01
Couldn't bring myself to watch that movie.
Saw an ad for another one this weekend, Ghost Shark.
Might have to sell my tv.

stansdds
August 23rd, 2013, 05:17
I head about Sharknado, but after hearing about it, I decided to not waste 80 minutes of my life.

Ferry_vO
August 23rd, 2013, 06:11
Just to describe a short scene: About halfway through this horror the hero of the story (Some dud(e) from Beverly Hills 90210 IIRC) is confronted with a tornado in which several sharks fly round in circles. I think a tornado could be capable of lifting objects the size of a Great white shark, I just don't see how the shark would survive that, seeing how fish don't breathe air but filter it from the water they live in. The G-forces alone would probably kill it. And how come it stays inside the storm, and isn't thrown out? Anyway, our hero pulls out a hand gun, aims at the shark about 150 feet away and apparently unaffected by the wind coming from the tornado, manages not only to hit but even to kill the shark with one single shot and the shark drops from the sky like a sack of potatoes! So it seems the shark wasn't kept in the air by the tornado, but they can even fly!

And how do you slice a 15 foot long shark in half in a fraction of a second with nothing but a chain saw? And how come it's only cloudy and raining when they cast is outside, and clear and sunny when they are driving around? And since when can sharks chew through the roof of a car? Not a convertible, but a solid metal roof! And why use Tara Reid when there are plenty of other thirty year old actresses who don't look like a 40-year old crackhead with fake boobs..? How can you put so much crap in only 80 minutes....? :isadizzy:

brad kaste
August 23rd, 2013, 06:49
I've seen the entire abomination, eighty minutes of my life I'll never get back...

Sometimes a bad movie can still be quite entertaining to watch, but this was just awful.. The acting, the story, the effects...... :isadizzy:

Ferry,...you're so right about some of these cheapo bad feature movies can be entertaining at times. Only because the acting/dialogue, the sets and special effects are so cheesy it makes you laugh. A few years back I took out this DVD which pitted a squadron of buxom babes flying Curtis P-40 Warhawks against these horrific alien creatures.( No,...I'm not making this up.) Unfortunately,,....I couldn't even find anything redeeming enough to make me laugh. Four dollars poorly spent.

Odie
August 23rd, 2013, 06:54
Well, what's even more stunning, is that you know there had to be some producer, when pitched the idea for the show, stood up and proclaimed, "That's great! It'll be the next JAWS!" Such is the state of Hollywood and Television today, captained by individuals who think people only live on the East and West coasts.

However, if you're not watching LONGMIRE on A&E, you should be. One of the rare shows that actually has characters.

Ferry_vO
August 23rd, 2013, 07:03
To be honest, Sharknado is the next movie from 'The Asylum' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Asylum) who are known for their bad movies. Despite producing nothing but excrement they somehow have gathered a cult status and a group of fans.

pilottj
August 23rd, 2013, 09:10
Movies like this make me miss Mystery Science Theatre 3000. :icon_lol:

Rami
August 23rd, 2013, 09:36
Hey guys,

Oh come on...bad Sci-Fi has been around forever...Plan 9 From Outer Space leaps to mind...or what about Robot Monster, or Santa Claus conquers the Martians, or the other myriads of bad Sci-Fi files from year past?

But yes, Tara Reid does look like a used-up crack whore.

Ferry_vO
August 23rd, 2013, 09:59
Sharknado replaced the previous number 1 on my personal 'worst movie ever seen list': 2010: Moby Dick. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1694508/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A modern version of a classic tale, in which Captain Ahab (Played by the mayor from 'Spin City') chases a 300 ft whale in a nuclear submarine he stole from the navy..

stiz
August 23rd, 2013, 11:53
bad movie though it is, its got a semi-cult following and has very likely made em a fair bit of money!! and this aint hollywood, they'd prolly sue the living daylights outta Asylum for copying etc etc :icon_lol:

Skyhawk_310R
August 23rd, 2013, 12:39
There are plenty of good movie ideas out there, but a near total lack of willingness to implement any of them. The bean counters have determined that a lowest common denominator focus nets them bigger profits and so in a headlong rush to satisfy that niche, there is a flood of like-minded movies. This is best shown by the plethora of sequels and action hero comic book movies. Some of them, only a few as I see it, have been any good.

But, my vote was already cast a long time ago. I have not watched a movie in seven months and likely will go at least a year before attending one again. That movie was Skyfall, which in my view is why I say a few of the sequels have been good. Despite having DirecTV with their on-demand movies, I have not watched one of them for a few months either. The last one was The Hobbit, which again was a good script and well acted. Since then, there's not been one in the list that I was willing to pay a nickle to watch!

Ken

glh
August 23rd, 2013, 12:40
Ferry: It's just call BAD fiction. From the trailer, it looks like they just took "World War Z" and replaced the
zombies with sharks.

Rami: "Queen of Outer Space" "Mars Needs Women".

CWOJackson
August 23rd, 2013, 12:41
Ironic. The movie cost a lot less to make, and will make a lot more (net) than The Lone Ranger.

Since I'll never watch either, I'd be hard pressed to say which was worse, however, I do know which one was more expensively bad.

glh
August 23rd, 2013, 15:18
All I do is wait for movies to come out on DVD. Then I put in a request with our library system and get on a
waiting list if it is applicable. When my turn comes, I get the DVD for 7 days and I don't pay a penny. Works
for me -- 99% of Hollywood's production isn't worth paying any money. And I'm usually watching Turner Classic
Movies.

Which reminds me: Tuesday, August 27 @ 6PM: Seven Days in May will be on TCM. If you have never seen this
movie from 1964, you will enjoy it. Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas and Frederick March head a great cast.

Gdavis101
August 23rd, 2013, 16:29
I thought it was a bad joke when the trailers started appearing, nope just more mindless crap and another bad movie from Hollywood!

Skyhawk_310R
August 23rd, 2013, 17:09
I remember how the first slew of Batman films came out and each got worse than the previous and they were all campy enough to pitch a tent! Then, finally, we get something worthy of attention with the three that starred Christian Bale, with each one being really good and the second one being perhaps the best of the "comic book movies" ever made.

Now, hot on the heels we get another, this one combining Superman and Batman in the same film. I swear! If Hollywood has any creative talent and insight left, it would scare them stiff.

One of the most intriguing and well written, well produced movies was a Kathryn Bigelow production, "The Hurt Locker." Didn't spend a dime in false drama and overt messaging. It was just a simple and straight up story, and it was very real. The final scenes of the star playing in the living room with his infant son, realizing that even then his mind was elsewhere, and talking about how the kid was fascinated with his jack-in-the-box and then remarking how it wouldn't be so thrilling later in life .... well fading to black and seeing him step off the plane for another year long tour -- that hit me in the gut like a ton of bricks! That's a movie! That's what the genre is supposed to produce. Doesn't preach with over-the-top and sophomoric messages. Has the guts to just tell the story and let the story work for itself.

Ken

Moses03
August 24th, 2013, 17:06
I think some of those Asylum movies are a hoot, if I'm in the mood.

They still make interesting films, you just have to dig past whatever it is you don't like. Saw one called THE WAY WAY BACK recently. Great movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qoaVUdbWMs

Paul Anderson
August 25th, 2013, 10:38
Update: Dino Shark and Swamp Shark are also on this weekend - oh, the humanity!

Skyhawk_310R
August 25th, 2013, 10:57
On the other hand, there are still some outstanding movies being made. I think one of the best was the recently released Stephen Spielberg movie, "Lincoln." I loved that movie. It was so insightful into the thoughts and mores of the era, and I think it did as good a job as any movie I have seen of capturing the times of a period and bringing it into focus in the here and now. It was beautifully researched and faithfully rendered.

I think it also did well commercially, which I think proves that good movies remain good movies. But, for some reason or another, the Hollywood producers don't seem willing to explore that fertile territory often.

Ken