PDA

View Full Version : CUSTOM SCENERY

beana51
August 22nd, 2013, 06:39
Often wondered ,if there were ways to get ones home airstrip made to reflect reality...For many years I flew from SKYTOP NY03 Roscoe NY...A Grass strip ,on a mountain..In FSX its totally incorrect.Reality is ,its a One Way Grass Strip,which when taking off its like going off a Cliff of which it is...I would pay a fee for this,as this place has great sentimental value for me,as I sit here in the Bone Yard Of Fl...Thanx..Vin.<label for="rb_iconid_24">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif</label>

http://www.airnav.com/airport/NY03

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4031_zps5aecb0b7.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4031_zps5aecb0b7.jpg.html)

MCDesigns
August 22nd, 2013, 06:53
Sure, it's easy/peazy, LOL. What part is important to you, the way it looks in real life from the air, or that plus the buildings, objects, etc. What do you have that in not default FSX, landclass? UTX, FTXG, GEX, what mesh? i ask as all this will effect the results you want. you can buy the megascenery v2 NY state and it will be like flying over the real thing, but flat, LOL.

beana51
August 22nd, 2013, 07:20
Thanx Michael...This is an almost primitive strip...somewhat like an Ironing Board sticking off a a table.with high trees on both sides!.At the South end,the Tops of the hundred ft trees are below you..So Landing only North is required. Taking off to the South is also required! Wind always a factor!There is ,by the road,one non discript ranch house..a one plane hanger, a Mobil home out back right ..Currently a Huge Log home is being built.part way down the runway....would not need to look at that.It should look like a narrow green ribbon from the air..on the ground facing south? no obstructions can see three states...To the north? butts on the local road!. High trees...if any scenery reflecting most of this exists? i would not hesitate to acquire it..That if I knew where to find it.Again thanx for your reply and questions..Vin<label for="rb_iconid_24">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif</label>

MCDesigns
August 22nd, 2013, 07:24
OK, 5 minutes work. Obviously after looking at it in default FSX, the mountain top issue is something that will have to be addressed. Hopefully having a quality mesh product like FSGenesis or FSGlobal will fix that, but otherwise, the photoreal part is easy, I can blend this with the default, add autogen and adjust the AFCAD and make the default runway be invisible if you want.

http://imageshack.us/a/img694/5585/luyw.jpg

beana51
August 22nd, 2013, 07:43
Oh my gosh.!!..What you say is great...Its a beautiful place SKYTOP...really no marked strip just grass from road to the end..Main reality is the unobstructed Take off to the South...One can dip below the runway here.Thanx Much for your interest....Vin!<label for="rb_iconid_24">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif</label>

TheGrunt
August 22nd, 2013, 07:49
OK, 5 minutes work. Obviously after looking at it in default FSX, the mountain top issue is something that will have to be addressed. Hopefully having a quality mesh product like FSGenesis or FSGlobal will fix that, but otherwise, the photoreal part is easy, I can blend this with the default, add autogen and adjust the AFCAD and make the default runway be invisible if you want.

Your water masking is a bit poor.

Joke. Sorry Michael, I just couldn't resist with this one:kilroy:.

Seriously, it is amazing what you can guys do so quickly. I haven't fiddled with sceneries pretty much ever, but I really need to look into photoreal and sketchup stuff sometimes. But not until I've finished gauges with Piglet's Skyraiders. As a complete n00b, I already have a small trouble with reflections on the rotating gauges...

MCDesigns
August 22nd, 2013, 07:52
No problem Vin. in looking at the AFCAD, there are 3 large tanks on a hilltop nearbuy, they kinda stand out, you want me to leave those or delete them? Also since it seems you don't have any mesh installed, I can raise the elevation of the airport a bit to give it that cliff look you want, just let me know.
If you have any images of the buildings/objects that are the property I can see about making a few objects.

MCDesigns
August 22nd, 2013, 07:58
Your water masking is a bit poor.

Joke. Sorry Michael, I just couldn't resist with this one:kilroy:.

I was using Sim-savvy photoreal as my example, LOL. (no water masking)

Once you do something a few times, it isn't a big deal. I have over a TB of photoreal airports d/led for reference. Doing the base is the easy part, it's the masks, the night and the seasonal textures that are a pain, especially with large areas.

TheGrunt
August 22nd, 2013, 08:03
I was using Sim-savvy photoreal as my example, LOL. (no water masking)

Once you do something a few times, it isn't a big deal. I have over a TB of photoreal airports d/led for reference. Doing the base is the easy part, it's the masks, the night and the seasonal textures that are a pain, especially with large areas.
By the way, how FSX handles the water mask? Is it a some black/white image of the certain texture tile (that is land is white, water is black or vice versa) and water mask texture is just marked as a mask somehow (filename?)? If it is, I can understand the pain, especially for larger coastal areas.

MCDesigns
August 22nd, 2013, 08:15
By the way, how FSX handles the water mask? Is it a some black/white image of the certain texture tile (that is land is white, water is black or vice versa) and water mask texture is just marked as a mask somehow (filename?)? If it is, I can understand the pain, especially for larger coastal areas.

yep, a complete black/white image with black being the water. in the .inf file that goes into resample .exe you define what textures are for what features, water, mask, night, and seasons.

For my military ops scenery I am working on the BMP for the whole island is 810 MBs, so imagine loading almost 1 gig of BMP into photoshop, creating a new black layer over it and then tracing the jagged, rocky coastline and deleting the black where the land is, took me quite awhile

beana51
August 22nd, 2013, 08:26
Hi Again Michael...Tanks a non issue..I think it was just random candy..Only land mark is the tower on the left side of Tennanah Lake..as pictured in FS9..A turn West base point..Vin

beana51
August 22nd, 2013, 08:32
No problem Vin. in looking at the AFCAD, there are 3 large tanks on a hilltop nearbuy, they kinda stand out, you want me to leave those or delete them? Also since it seems you don't have any mesh installed, I can raise the elevation of the airport a bit to give it that cliff look you want, just let me know.
If you have any images of the buildings/objects that are the property I can see about making a few objects.

Elevation most important...any buildings not too important..A road side Ranch house,a single hanger close to it, some what behind it a Mobile Home..,a wind sock,where new consrtuction is shown in GOOGLE Pic would round it out beautifuly....Thanx Michael

TheGrunt
August 22nd, 2013, 08:35
For my military ops scenery I am working on the BMP for the whole island is 810 MBs, so imagine loading almost 1 gig of BMP into photoshop, creating a new black layer over it and then tracing the jagged, rocky coastline and deleting the black where the land is, took me quite awhile
Jeez man, if SimSavvy and more recent "heir" of it, MSE 2.0, has been criticized of the watermasking quality sometimes, I can really now understand the devs side. Think of the length of the whole coastal line of the USA and the amount of texture tiles it includes. Precise job you see with some smaller sceneries in few feet or couple of meters scale would probably take years from one or two guys and the tediousness of the task would porbably kill those poor souls before they are finished.

Little OT, but are you using the "full" Photoshop, that is CS4/5/6 or Elements? I have only Elements and so far I've found one nasty thing it lacks or more, it is just poorly implemented in Elements: warping shapes. I'm just wondering what are the capabilities of the software required for effective scenery job. I've also ordered Paintshop Pro from Amazon, as it is quite a lot cheaper than CS6, which I'm not going to purchase for the price it is. Also the new CC with monthly fee seems quite a ripoff, if you don't work with the software almost daily. Then there is of course the all capable GIMP, but damn it seems complicated to use with some stuff that is just couple of clicks in PE.

MCDesigns
August 22nd, 2013, 08:44
Elevation most important...any buildings not too important..A road side Ranch house,a single hanger close to it, some what behind it a Mobile Home..,a wind sock,where new consrtuction is shown in GOOGLE Pic would round it out beautifuly....Thanx Michael

No problem Vin, thanks for the info, very helpful!

MCDesigns
August 22nd, 2013, 09:02
Jeez man, if SimSavvy and more recent "heir" of it, MSE 2.0, has been criticized of the watermasking quality sometimes, I can really now understand the devs side. Think of the length of the whole coastal line of the USA and the amount of texture tiles it includes. Precise job you see with some smaller sceneries in few feet or couple of meters scale would probably take years from one or two guys and the tediousness of the task would porbably kill those poor souls before they are finished.

Little OT, but are you using the "full" Photoshop, that is CS4/5/6 or Elements? I have only Elements and so far I've found one nasty thing it lacks or more, it is just poorly implemented in Elements: warping shapes. I'm just wondering what are the capabilities of the software required for effective scenery job. I've also ordered Paintshop Pro from Amazon, as it is quite a lot cheaper than CS6, which I'm not going to purchase for the price it is. Also the new CC with monthly fee seems quite a ripoff, if you don't work with the software almost daily. Then there is of course the all capable GIMP, but damn it seems complicated to use with some stuff that is just couple of clicks in PE.

I have an older CS2 which works fine. i also use PSP and GIMP, which I know more than the others and prefer. I could probably refine my process in PSD, but my knowledge of it is probably the biggest obstacle. I agree, the cloud based way Adobe is doing things is a HUGE turnoff for me.

As far as Sim-savvy and MSEv2, there are other ways to do this other than what I am doing and seeing as the MSEv2 files have basic water masking, I doubt he is doing it by hand in an image editing software. One program for photoreal allows you to import the google earth KMZ or KML files into it once you have defined the outline of the water in Google earth, so that would be a huge advantage to large areas. Night textures would be the least tedious of any of the other textures to do, so not having them is kinda of a let down. as far as expectations for large area photoreal, I can see seasons being out of the picture as that is the biggest pain of all, LOL. Autogen, you have basic, polyonal and then precise ways of adding it. I added basic autogen to my photoreal Kandahar province in an hour.

TheGrunt
August 22nd, 2013, 09:29
As far as Sim-savvy and MSEv2, there are other ways to do this other than what I am doing and seeing as the MSEv2 files have basic water masking, I doubt he is doing it by hand in an image editing software. One program for photoreal allows you to import the google earth KMZ or KML files into it once you have defined the outline of the water in Google earth, so that would be a huge advantage to large areas. Night textures would be the least tedious of any of the other textures to do, so not having them is kinda of a let down. as far as expectations for large area photoreal, I can see seasons being out of the picture as that is the biggest pain of all, LOL. Autogen, you have basic, polyonal and then precise ways of adding it. I added basic autogen to my photoreal Kandahar province in an hour.
I really need to dig in more to the SDK tutorials sometimes, because creating things really interests me. You also learn about software and computer graphics at the same time, and learning is always interesting. That Google Earth method sounds truly neat, but I wonder, if MSE and SimSavvy devs just haven't used the Google Earth as a source as a prohibitions for the commercial use? Then, you are actually using data produced by Google and I don't even want to dig to the all software patents, US copyright legislation, copyright infringement trials etc., which might suddenly complicate things.

But, autogen stuff seems handy. What kind of task would it be to add basic autogen to MSE or BlueSkyScenery yourself. And then to take it further, use some OSM data for the autogen to get stuff lined with photogen tiles?

And sorry for stealing thread... I know, this should be discussed somewhere in the designer's workshop, but on the other hand, others that also think of starting to make their first own creations may spot this here and get useful info.

MCDesigns
August 22nd, 2013, 10:00
I really need to dig in more to the SDK tutorials sometimes, because creating things really interests me. You also learn about software and computer graphics at the same time, and learning is always interesting. That Google Earth method sounds truly neat, but I wonder, if MSE and SimSavvy devs just haven't used the Google Earth as a source as a prohibitions for the commercial use? Then, you are actually using data produced by Google and I don't even want to dig to the all software patents, US copyright legislation, copyright infringement trials etc., which might suddenly complicate things.

But, autogen stuff seems handy. What kind of task would it be to add basic autogen to MSE or BlueSkyScenery yourself. And then to take it further, use some OSM data for the autogen to get stuff lined with photogen tiles?

And sorry for stealing thread... I know, this should be discussed somewhere in the designer's workshop, but on the other hand, others that also think of starting to make their first own creations may spot this here and get useful info.

Adding autogen is easy, yet tedious depending on how specific you want to be, here is what my Military Ops island looks like when the photoreal .BGL is loaded into the autogen annotator. You choose what autogen you want, enable it and then place it on the map, save and exit. You can always go back and edit. try it with any photoreal scenery .BGL, just make sure you have a texture folder with the scenery as that is where the .AGN files go.

http://imageshack.us/a/img21/7205/1xmf.jpg

Don't get me started on google and their own copyright violations, just look at the sketchup warehouse and youtube, LOL. using data to define areas is different from actually using the tiles which are watermarked anyway. They probably have their own proprietary software for doing the MSEv2 addons.

MCDesigns
August 22nd, 2013, 14:10
Vin, in looking at different sat imagery, it looks like the big gray house on the property further in is new since I can see some construction around it and in earlier images it isn't there. I can edit it out no problem, just want to make sure it wasn't there as you remember it before I do.

beana51
August 22nd, 2013, 14:18
Yes its a big log home..set up after some years i left,not important at all......Basically I look at it as Sentimental Place ..some where in the late 60s on ...Spent lots of time there..helped make that strip..In the winter ,deep snow,we would roll the grass and use ski gear....again thanx for your interest...If this happens? OLD SKYTOP on FSX? it would bring a misty eye or two........Thanks..Vin

MCDesigns
August 22nd, 2013, 15:14
Thanks Vin, I will get it done for you, just making sure of all the details.

MCDesigns
August 22nd, 2013, 17:47
Well the mask and water masking are done, just need to do a few objects and add a couple autogen trees. I added some telephone poles along the road and added some road traffic since it adds to the immersion (you can always turn it off). I raised the airport elevation by about 20 meters, gives it a nice drop off at the end, any more and it would have caused issues, hope that is ok.

Hopefully done this weekend, will PM you Vin.

http://imageshack.us/a/img826/6381/bex1.jpg

beana51
August 22nd, 2013, 18:34
Michael Thats It...WOW!...Great job!...How can I ever thank you.Please let me know!..This tells me there are some fine people on here..This Flight Sim World..It makes me feel good,that you,would go way out of your way,work hard, to accommodate a member here. We must have something in common? I think for you its your art,talent and creativity,and for me its Flying..calling you friend Michael,Tho we be in anonymity ,I feel I know you!..some Old guys like me From Sky Top are still around..I will share this with them with your permission...I do not think they Sim,but I will send them many Pics.. well my friend ,yes I get misty eye seeing old SKYTOP again...With most Sincere Thanks ,and appreciation Vin
PS any info,or anything required ? just ask...

kilo delta
August 23rd, 2013, 04:03
I'd just like to echo what Vin has stated.
It's reasons like this that I always come back to SOH. It's the selfless acts and generosity of our talented members, be they modellers,texture artists,sound editors,FDE guru's etc that make me proud to visit here every day. Though there might be a little angst coming to the fore in some forum threads every now and then I think that overall we have a pretty happy, tight knit "family" here.

Well done,Michael.:applause:

MCDesigns
August 27th, 2013, 19:40
Hi Vin, just letting you know it's done. I changed it up from what I posted earlier as the default textures were not as crisp as the photoreal, so I went with all photoreal and matched it ok with the default so depending on autogen levels, it will look half way decent. Adding the autogen is what took longer. It has night lighting and the buildings have it also, looks good from the street, LOL.
I still need some last minute tweaks and I'll post a link tomorrow for anyone that is interested.

Couple of early morning images, autogen is at max

http://imageshack.us/a/img42/2201/2e55.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img266/9381/nct6.jpg

beana51
August 27th, 2013, 19:57
Yes thats SKY TOP...Truly...What a great Artistic job..from nothing ,we got an Airport as it is.Needless to say I LOVE IT!..so too the few remaining guys who know this place.I await breathlessly...Thanx Michael!...Vin<label for="rb_iconid_24">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif</label>

beana51
August 27th, 2013, 20:06
To all here following this...
This story must be told here...its about Michael .. in my Walter Mitty World here on SOH, With time on my hands ..Flying the Sim.I Had recreated most all of my Flying Experience.Every Take Off Landing,Place Incident The good and the bad..One Strip SKYTOP, NY03,in NY had special meaning to me...A Green Ribbon of Grass in a back water place .I mentioned it here on SOH,just to satify my own whim. Gee What If It Looked Real??When I get a response ..Michael,responded.

"
Sure, it's easy/peazy, LOL. What part is important to you, the way it looks in real life from the air, or that plus the buildings, objects, etc. What do you have that in not default FSX, landclass? UTX, FTXG, GEX, what mesh? i ask as all this will effect the results you want. you can buy the megascenery v2 NY state and it will be like flying over the real thing, but flat, LOL."

"OK, 5 minutes work. Obviously after looking at it in default FSX, the mountain top issue is something that will have to be addressed. Hopefully having a quality mesh product like FSGenesis or FSGlobal will fix that, but otherwise, the photoreal part is easy, I can blend this with the default, add autogen and adjust the AFCAD and make the default runway be invisible if you want."

"No problem Vin, thanks for the info, very helpful!"

You cannot make this up. Here is Michael,totally engaged...With time,work,Creativity,concepts,Accomplishment, to a total stranger,Tho a fellow Simmer, on SOH...He could have Said nothing,or tell me where to go,or just ignore..one more Post by one more Ole geezer...But he did not!
He took the challenge and a a request,understood the importance of this to me,and just Did It!...Rare action today,who among us would do something like this?..But Michael did,reflecting values ,he has...Nice stuff!...

My SKYTOP now,as it was in memory's eye..For me the place oozed grass roots flying...where tradition existed in the Old Way By People of the old way...Michael crossed that divide with Sincerity,understanding,careing...Michael Has a Great Heart...He is now part of those few guys who love SKYTOP.. And When its no more? this rendition of this place will not be forgotten,because of Michael

This cannot be forgotten here on SOH,Tho we may act like kids ,its nice to know there are adults here with class..I of course can never thank him enough..All I can do is Temper my own inadequacies with fellow Simmers and try to be a better ole guy because of ...My friend Michael..Thnks much..Vin

BEFORE SKYTOP
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4047_zps41357a20.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4047_zps41357a20.jpg.html)

Michaels SKYTOP..that green ribbon of grass off the right wing!

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/2e55_zps2b8147fe.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/2e55_zps2b8147fe.jpg.html)

falcon409
August 27th, 2013, 20:19
Yep, wouldn't expect anything less. Great job Michael. . .that was really great of you to take up the call. Another masterpiece.:applause::applause:

MCDesigns
August 27th, 2013, 20:25
LOL, you give me to much credit Vin. I have been doing scenery for awhile and can usually see the obstacles in the way to completion and this was pretty straightforward for me. Considering the help I have gotten over the years from people like Bill Womack, Holger, Bill Leaming, even Arno at FSDeveloper, it's the least I can do to help when I can. I'll post a link after work tomorrow.

TuFun
August 27th, 2013, 20:33
The stuff you guys do here at SOH is what inspires me to at least attempt at creating something, whether it's painting, effects, and now soundset! :isadizzy:

Just an amazing community!!! :salute:

trucker17
August 27th, 2013, 21:49
Excellent job their mike......Very, very nice work......Enjoy VIN.....I'm sure many of us here have that one special airfield, that brings back both fond and not so fond memories.....For me its a small airfield that is no longer here, the place my grandfather showed me how to handle the plane......The airfield my grandfather had on the northern California coast, and the place I put my cabin on William lake...( of coarse, back then, it was just 3 tents and a small campfire about half way across the lake.....
Today, in FSX his old home, hangers and airfield survive, as my base of operations.....
This was my dream as a kid, to take the job he loved and make it my own. Sadly that did not work out that way. I went into driving trucks, and gave up on that dream.....Today in real life. I am currently restoring my grandfathers Grumman G-21 Goose, back to flying condition, at my home on Vancouver island, nice to have 25 acres of land with a dock on the ocean and a ramp for testing....
The restoration has been ongoing for over 14 years now.....But one day his old bird will be airborn again.....I know with every nut and bolt I turn and every rivet I place, grandpa is right their with me....And I would not have it any other way.....
Craig

falcon409
August 28th, 2013, 10:26
Vin may recognize this area as well. Certainly not of Michaels caliber, but I thought a companion airport within a short distance (13nm) would be nice to make a leisurely trip to early in the morning or during a late afternoon. I have to go take care of my Great Granddaughter now, but I'll get it uploaded when I get home this evening.

trucker17
August 28th, 2013, 10:36
Nice scenery their Ed.....

falcon409
August 28th, 2013, 16:58
Here's the link:
https://app.box.com/s/zabrys5o0ko6cy6m605v

MCDesigns
August 28th, 2013, 17:41
Nice work Ed, can't wait to check it out.

Here is the link to the Skytop airfield for Vin, let me know if there are any problems
https://app.box.com/s/1zyem6f5ekstg1vwq9qj

beana51
August 28th, 2013, 18:14
Its Christmas Morning in August...SKYTOP and DOWNSVILLE...My Old Haunts I will be flying here forever I think...Both are Suburb renditions..Both Masterful work By the best as anyone can see.These should,and will be shared by all....I will share these with the old Geezers up there...We call our selves "WOODCHUCKS" and they will be happy...both are very accurate..Both strips will task the average pilot,both located in some beautiful country..the Catskill Mountains of NY Were it not for this place,this gathering of Simmers at SOH,this would be impossible
Gentlemen I thank You both Most Sincerely. I know others will also.Your Friend Vin.

falcon409
August 28th, 2013, 18:26
Nice work Ed, can't wait to check it out.

Here is the link to the Skytop airfield for Vin, let me know if there are any problems
https://app.box.com/s/1zyem6f5ekstg1vwq9qj
None that I could see Michael. . .man it looks great. I was flying the CriCri and still came in a bit high. . .from a distance the trees at the end are a bit deceiving. I thought I needed that altitude to clear them. By the time I got closer and realized they weren't as high as I thought, lol. . .oh well. Downsville snuck up on me. . .coming over the ridge. . .it's there, so I flew right downwind (they suggest a left traffic for good reason, lol) and tried to drop onto the field and stalled over the river, lol. Next time I went east up the river then followed it back and a short right onto the rwy.

Vin's right, this area is great to fly in and there a ton of small airfields all over the area. Will make for some great low and slow stuff for a change. Glad you like the airfields Vin. Michael did a terrific job on SkyTop.:salute:

beana51
August 28th, 2013, 18:42
..Just Super.Masterful work,like all the rest you do..DOWNSVILLE is a White Knuckle landing..Tucked in the Mountains....It really looks as it was..that Reservoir is NYC drinking water.I was hoping these works both go into Whats New..To be enjoyed by all. Would not like to see them misplaced of lost,that would be criminal....Again Thank You Most Sincerly..Vin

beana51
August 28th, 2013, 18:54
Michael the more I fly it the better it gets..its UncannyMy mind fills in the blanks..Thats the place!.The Runway Grass most beautiful in color.....This must be shared to all the Simmers here..they will enjoy this..Its As Real as it Can get!..again My Friend Thank You much..Vin

MCDesigns
August 28th, 2013, 18:54
None that I could see Michael. . .man it looks great. I was flying the CriCri and still came in a bit high. . .from a distance the trees at the end are a bit deceiving. I thought I needed that altitude to clear them. By the time I got closer and realized they weren't as high as I thought, lol. . .oh well. Downsville snuck up on me. . .coming over the ridge. . .it's there, so I flew right downwind (they suggest a left traffic for good reason, lol) and tried to drop onto the field and stalled over the river, lol. Next time I went east up the river then followed it back and a short right onto the rwy.

Vin's right, this area is great to fly in and there a ton of small airfields all over the area. Will make for some great low and slow stuff for a change. Glad you like the airfields Vin. Michael did a terrific job on SkyTop.:salute:

Agreed, nice area, wonder what it is like with detailed mesh. I agree on Downsville, coming in over the ridge was killer, good thing I had the Kodiak, need that STOL experience. I did notice I sunk into the ground, looks like the runway might be a different height than the airport.

BTW nice house library, those yours?

MCDesigns
August 28th, 2013, 18:55
Michael the more I fly it the better it gets..its UncannyMy mind fills in the blanks..Thats the place!.The Runway Grass most beautiful in color.....This must be shared to all the Simmers here..they will enjoy this..Its As Real as it Can get!..again My Friend Thank You much..Vin

No problem Vin, was happy to do it. Enjoy! :salute:

beana51
August 28th, 2013, 19:05
Skytop is a Fair Weather VFR air strip..when landing best to use standred pattern.On finial do not use Full Flaps..The Deer pop out and you may need to Go Around.Always Land to the North,and always take off to the South..use Short Field techniques.Most time you land with a tail wind watch your Ground speed.Cross wind Landings are forgiving on the soft grass'great Tail wheel Strip.although I seen ,and flew Cessna s and Pipers..some Multi Engine...Once we had a Hunting Pembroke..Needed Repairs..crazy Guy, good Pilot got in, Got Fixed,. and Got out.Was close!.Good place in fall for Deer hunting.You can see three states from that Runway,its 2094 ft up Being in NY,ya can see NJ and Penn.. The grass smells sweet,The Air is clear,the water from springs.That lovley lake is called Tennanah Lake...In winter we Rolled the snow.We took a telephone pole put old tires thru it , and with a Ford Tractor Flattened the snow by rolling it. Landing Rolling out was an adventure!

Old Pic of that Pembroke in the 70s

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/Picture89_zpscd124928.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/Picture89_zpscd124928.jpg.html)

falcon409
August 28th, 2013, 19:43
. . . .I did notice I sunk into the ground, looks like the runway might be a different height than the airport.
BTW nice house library, those yours?

Mike, I ran TCalcX and it shows (in meters) 331.317, checked the airport properties and that's what I set it to. . .I also added a flatten that only encompasses the runway. Even moving off the rwy area, the variation in altitude is miniscule. As for the Scenery Object Library. . .that was done by Ron Jeffers.

falcon409
August 28th, 2013, 20:22
Downloading some 1/3 arc sec datasets from the USGS. Gonna give the "mesh thing" another go, lol. The Island went well. . .but I sure wish I had written down which programs I used to do which steps, lol, lol. I'll get it.:isadizzy:

MCDesigns
August 28th, 2013, 20:57
Downloading some 1/3 arc sec datasets from the USGS. Gonna give the "mesh thing" another go, lol. The Island went well. . .but I sure wish I had written down which programs I used to do which steps, lol, lol. I'll get it.:isadizzy:

Cool, if you do all of NY, I see a couple of other strips I like, LOL. (Lewis Landing and Hunter Mountain) With Lewis Landing I can see doing a really detailed hanger inside and HiRes ground poly apron in front before the grass field.

falcon409
August 28th, 2013, 21:05
Cool, if you do all of NY, I see a couple of other strips I like, LOL. (Lewis Landing and Hunter Mountain) With Lewis Landing I can see doing a really detailed hanger inside and HiRes ground poly apron in front before the grass field.
I'm watching the downloads right now. The area I selected is about 30sq miles and the 4 files that I'm downloading will be about 1.2gig before processing. That drops off a lot after it goes through Global Mapper. . .I hope, lol

expat
August 29th, 2013, 00:41
Really outstanding work Ed. The crop and mowed grass rows make it look like a real photo. There are a great many small grass farm strips like this the world over. Just did up a very basic one in ADE close to where I live in Kent England but it is very crude by comparison. I fear for a flood of special requests you are going to be receiving!

Brian_Gladden
August 29th, 2013, 03:40
If you guys are taking requests for custom airstrips, might I suggest Warren Sugarbush airport in Warren VT (0B7) Paved runway but very narrow (30 feet) home of Sugarbush Soaring and has lots of glider activity. Home base of Jim Parker (Fairly well known Northeast US airshow pilot) Home of the Diner-Soar cafe. I can get photos of the buildings should you need them.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/0B7

http://www.sugarbushairport.com/home.html

expat
August 29th, 2013, 07:10
Warren Sugarbush airport in Warren VT (0B7)

That's a good one! Just been doing some landings there in the Pilatus PC-12. I really like airstrips nestled in the forests/hills like that.

Dumonceau
August 29th, 2013, 07:34
Skytop is a Fair Weather VFR air strip..when landing best to use standred pattern.On finial do not use Full Flaps..The Deer pop out and you may need to Go Around.Always Land to the North,and always take off to the South..use Short Field techniques.Most time you land with a tail wind watch your Ground speed.Cross wind Landings are forgiving on the soft grass'great Tail wheel Strip.although I seen ,and flew Cessna s and Pipers..some Multi Engine...Once we had a Hunting Pembroke..Needed Repairs..crazy Guy, good Pilot got in, Got Fixed,. and Got out.Was close!.Good place in fall for Deer hunting.You can see three states from that Runway,its 2094 ft up Being in NY,ya can see NJ and Penn.. The grass smells sweet,The Air is clear,the water from springs.That lovley lake is called Tennanah Lake...In winter we Rolled the snow.We took a telephone pole put old tires thru it , and with a Ford Tractor Flattened the snow by rolling it. Landing Rolling out was an adventure!

Old Pic of that Pembroke in the 70s

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/Picture89_zpscd124928.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/Picture89_zpscd124928.jpg.html)

That is a Belgian AF Pembroke!! Thanks for sharing that picture!!!

MCDesigns
August 29th, 2013, 08:40
If you guys are taking requests for custom airstrips, might I suggest Warren Sugarbush airport in Warren VT (0B7) Paved runway but very narrow (30 feet) home of Sugarbush Soaring and has lots of glider activity. Home base of Jim Parker (Fairly well known Northeast US airshow pilot) Home of the Diner-Soar cafe. I can get photos of the buildings should you need them.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/0B7

http://www.sugarbushairport.com/home.html

That is one skinny runway, LOL Nice area though! If you can actually get me images of "everything" on the field, drop me a PM Brian.

http://imageshack.us/a/img38/6098/rfw4.jpg

beana51
August 29th, 2013, 08:50
Thanx Dumonceau....My friend who had this air port,He was a FAA Authorized everthing!..This plane needed paperwork,and some modifications.The guy heard of my friend and his expertise,and would not be persuaded not to land there..If you see the new Pics here of SKYTOP you can see Why.But one AM,this plane lands..The work got done.Was told to off load Gas,Unload stuff ,but he did not.Taxied with tail on the road,Revved up full throttle,Flaps,The Thing Rumbled and Shook..and off he went..Looked like a Dolittle B-25 carrier take off..Great Short Field Take Off.He dipped off the end ,but in a Roar of Full Throttle "HE DID IT'..I learned to like that plane. I worked on it, Helping , I believe its still around,I do not know where,last seen was in Florida.....Vin

Dumonceau
August 29th, 2013, 11:01
Thanx Dumonceau....My friend who had this air port,He was a FAA Authorized everthing!..This plane needed paperwork,and some modifications.The guy heard of my friend and his expertise,and would not be persuaded not to land there..If you see the new Pics here of SKYTOP you can see Why.But one AM,this plane lands..The work got done.Was told to off load Gas,Unload stuff ,but he did not.Taxied with tail on the road,Revved up full throttle,Flaps,The Thing Rumbled and Shook..and off he went..Looked like a Dolittle B-25 carrier take off..Great Short Field Take Off.He dipped off the end ,but in a Roar of Full Throttle "HE DID IT'..I learned to like that plane. I worked on it, Helping , I believe its still around,I do not know where,last seen was in Florida.....Vin

I'll tell you something else: judging by the number 1 on the nose, that plane was the plane our King was flown in on Royal visits! That makes that picture even more special to me!

If you could get me pics of that plane in this day and age, I would be forever in your debt!

BTW, downloaded both of the sceneries and will try them out, but in something like the Wilga, to make sure not to run of of runway!! LOL!

I love this kind of threads!

Dumonceau

beana51
August 29th, 2013, 11:10
I'll tell you something else: judging by the number 1 on the nose, that plane was the plane our King was flown in on Royal visits! That makes that picture even more special to me!

If you could get me pics of that plane in this day and age, I would be forever in your debt!

BTW, downloaded both of the sceneries and will try them out, but in something like the Wilga, to make sure not to run of of runway!! LOL!

Dumonceau

I will look carefully in our family Pics..what ever I find I will post them..Amazing! The KINGS plane...It was very Spartan in the cabin when we seen it..A big cabin tho.Wonder what the rest of the story was..I will look for a "N" Number also...Thanx..Vin.......I flew Cubs,Cessnas ,Pipers ,and a twin Aztec out of SKYTOP And when a Pembroke can do it? so can anyone...NOT...<label for="rb_iconid_24">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif</label>

Brian_Gladden
August 29th, 2013, 11:25
That is one skinny runway, LOL Nice area though! If you can actually get me images of "everything" on the field, drop me a PM Brian.

I'll see how the weather holds out this weekend. Thanks

Sylvanriv
August 29th, 2013, 11:46
May I humbly suggest Ithaca (KITH)? There's not too much of a real challenge, it's just located in a very pretty area and it's quite a nice airport :mixedsmi:

http://www.cscos.com/wp-content/uploads/head_aviation-m1.jpg

beana51
August 29th, 2013, 13:20

Dumonceau

All I have is these two pics,However I may get more along with the "N" number..Last heard it went to the North West..could be with some "GREEN" people .whale tracking or something like that..So lets see what we can dig up..Now I'am curious also Stay in touch.Vin

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4066_zpsd331eb40.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4066_zpsd331eb40.jpg.html)

SKYTOP STUFF I think Runway is Up side DownLOL1

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4067_zpsf4cbf89e.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4067_zpsf4cbf89e.jpg.html)

MCDesigns
August 29th, 2013, 13:43
May I humbly suggest Ithaca (KITH)? There's not too much of a real challenge, it's just located in a very pretty area and it's quite a nice airport :mixedsmi:

I agree, great airport, love the layout.

Just some info for those that might want to suggest an airport they would like to see enhanced. For me and I am sure other scenery developers, everything we do to enhance an airport has different levels of skill, technique and especially time involved.

For me, finding and processing the photoreal background and aligning/editing the default AFCAD is easy and not time consuming in the least. Adding some default or existing abjects, takes a little more time, but not hard. Editing the photoreal for different seasons and adding large areas of autogen, much more time involved, but still not that hard just tedious. Creating custom objects, now this can be time consuming, but not hard for me since I know my way around modeling apps, the texture creation takes more time than the modeling. The real pain is creating custom "realistic" ground polys for aprons, taxiways and runways. I can create them no problem, but good, realistic texturing and especially placement/scaling is a big process and very time consuming, especially for me since I don't have a routine technique for this area , so it is still hit or miss on the first try. just some some info I thought I would throw out there.

Sylvanriv
August 29th, 2013, 16:05
For me, finding and processing the photoreal background and aligning/editing the default AFCAD is easy and not time consuming in the least. Adding some default or existing abjects, takes a little more time, but not hard. Editing the photoreal for different seasons and adding large areas of autogen, much more time involved, but still not that hard just tedious. Creating custom objects, now this can be time consuming, but not hard for me since I know my way around modeling apps, the texture creation takes more time than the modeling. The real pain is creating custom "realistic" ground polys for aprons, taxiways and runways. I can create them no problem, but good, realistic texturing and especially placement/scaling is a big process and very time consuming, especially for me since I don't have a routine technique for this area , so it is still hit or miss on the first try. just some some info I thought I would throw out there.

I understand what you're saying, having spoken to several scenery developers, and I just would like to thank you for donating your time and skill to this community to make these incredible airports!

EDIT: Michael, if you ever end up doing Ithaca, let me know and I'll get you some more photos.

Sieggie
August 29th, 2013, 16:18

Ithaca has been done and is on SOH.

Dave

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=113&id=8092

Sylvanriv
August 29th, 2013, 16:55
I actually have this scenery, and I like it, but, and this in no way me ragging on Mr. Cook, because I have tried to make scenery, and understand what kind of a task it is, and I respect him and enjoy his work, it just feels like it could be a little bit better, maybe with photoreal, or maybe just a few more realistic objects.

Just my opinion.

I like the scenery, but I would just love to see Ithaca a little better represented (I guess I just notice it because I'm at the airport so much)...I mean, everyone wants to see their hometown airport looking better, but seeing as this thread was in the NY region, I thought I would just point it out.

Sorry if this sounded rude to anyone, and to Mr. Cook, I would like to say that I respect and appreciate you very much for taking the time to make these sceneries and share them with the community.

Hope you guys understand me. :mixedsmi:

Cheers,
Sylvan

sepp666
August 30th, 2013, 00:56
Hello i would like to thank you for that great scenery. I like it a lot, thank you for it.

I know that this thread is not a request thread, but when i saw this thread it came to my mind that maybe someone could make another scenery for a little german airport that i like a lot. Its EDKN maybe someone is willing to do it for us.

So it looks like at FSX with UTX-Europe + FTX Global:
http://www7.pic-upload.de/30.08.13/4atnnr3y83a.jpg (http://www.pic-upload.de/view-20568504/fsx-2013-08-30-10-48-27-43.jpg.html)
http://www7.pic-upload.de/30.08.13/147nmylhwlyc.jpg (http://www.pic-upload.de/view-20568510/fsx-2013-08-30-10-47-55-84.jpg.html)
http://www7.pic-upload.de/30.08.13/i6gcrprim7x9.jpg (http://www.pic-upload.de/view-20568514/fsx-2013-08-30-10-47-25-28.jpg.html)

Here is some information and pictures:

http://www.lsv-wipperfuerth.de/flugplatz/aip-infos/
http://wiki.worldflicks.org/flugplatz_wipperf%C3%BCrth-neye.html
http://www.ulforum.de/ultraleicht/flugplatz/wipperfuerth-neye/EDKN
http://www.alltravels.com/germany/north-rhine-westphalia/wipperfurth/photos/current-photo-48901601
http://fsairport.net/EDKN

Some youtube Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiyFTfP_l5U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L6Jmg81cUM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8WR1ku7fSA

Maybe someone got to take pity on me. :salute:

beana51
August 30th, 2013, 08:13
Here at DOWNSVILL NY NY78,the great Scenery by Falcon 409,available here in this thread.,Makes a Beautiful Picture....Vin<label for="rb_iconid_24">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif</label>

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4073_zpsf8bed5e0.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4073_zpsf8bed5e0.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4074_zpse6423e10.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4074_zpse6423e10.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4075_zps62615a8b.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4075_zps62615a8b.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4077_zps16e8b116.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4077_zps16e8b116.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4079_zps07d820e0.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4079_zps07d820e0.jpg.html)

falcon409
August 30th, 2013, 10:32
I decided to take a different airplane into SkyTop. I was having a heck of a time landing there and I can usually land anywhere there's a runway, or something flat and long enough to set down on. I took the Alabeo Waco and actually had an easier time of it landing in that than I did with smaller airplanes. Go figure. lol

beana51
August 30th, 2013, 10:51
HA HA the Real Skytop is a bit easier I will admit.....Landing to the north ,the Strip looks like a Carrier top..Those trees in the this FSX version do give a problem.But Fly between them.You must fly a standred pattern,On base 2nd notch flap,turn to Finial at the Pond ,come in low,slow,Some Power, no full flap,and ready for go around because of the Deer..Were Michael to remove the trees on finial approach end pf the Runway,it would be perfect..its all Short Field Landing and Take Off...our Cessna C-172? a natural,as any SEL..Here!.We flew an Aztec there,This when we did an Air Taxi Thing ..However your DOWNSVILLE is right on,In The Valley So low.. These are VFR Sunday PM airports.. Been having fun going back and forth in that 11minute flight..Thanx my Friend...Vin<label for="rb_iconid_24">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif</label>

falcon409
August 30th, 2013, 10:56
No problem Vin. I produced some 10meter mesh for the area, but discovered that it made very little actual change in what was already there, so it wasn't worth pursuing. Having a good time flying back and forth as well. Looking at other airports in that general area, but reference material (pictures of the hangars, terminals, houses) is mostly non-existent.

rdaniell
August 30th, 2013, 11:10
No problem Vin. I produced some 10meter mesh for the area, but discovered that it made very little actual change in what was already there, so it wasn't worth pursuing. Having a good time flying back and forth as well. Looking at other airports in that general area, but reference material (pictures of the hangars, terminals, houses) is mostly non-existent.

In those cases, you just have to take a bit of artistic license as it's my position that pretty much anything beats default.

RD

beana51
August 30th, 2013, 11:13
Handcock,NK68m"WHITEBIRCH: also gives a challenge..Time was you flew there for Sunday AM FLAP JACKS dripping with local Mapel Syrup,and Local Farm Butter....Glad yer flying to Both these Airports..Sullivan County International is a Fine Airport..Its Not International ,but just a Pork=Barrel Field for the Rich and Famous..I kept Plane there Also,in Winter ..The others were buried under snow..Well Its fun ,To Say the Least..now Both in the Real world,Memorys Eye and on the Sim...great...Thanx Vin<label for="rb_iconid_25">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon25.gif</label>

beana51
August 30th, 2013, 11:29
In those cases, you just have to take a bit of artistic license as it's my position that pretty much anything beats default.

RD
Yes anything..but these Improvement to the Default are any thing but anything....To see reality come to life on a Sim as here? Amazing..Any Who ,Trees do grow since I Left,so its 100% real LOL!.. Which Begs the Question ,When ,if ever will our Desk Top sim be as real as it can get? as seen here the talent ,artistic ability,imagination,fervor exists..Vin.Have Fun

falcon409
August 30th, 2013, 18:44
Handcock,NK68m"WHITEBIRCH: also gives a challenge..Time was you flew there for Sunday AM FLAP JACKS dripping with local Mapel Syrup,and Local Farm Butter..... . . . .
Any references/photos, remembrances you have for that field. The overhead gives no clue as to what the buildings look like.

rdaniell
August 30th, 2013, 19:32
Here's a couple of screen shots of what I was trying to say earlier about anything being better than default. I searched for reference material for my current project and was unable to find any photos of what things look like on the ground. All I have to go on is aerial photos. Bird's eye view gives you a little perspective on how things look but not much. Anyway, I created some custom buildings based on nothing but my best guess as to how they might actually look. A little of what I ended up with is based upon some really old memories of how things looked several years ago when I last landed at this airport.

RD

beana51
August 30th, 2013, 19:46
Any references/photos, remembrances you have for that field. The overhead gives no clue as to what the buildings look like.

Hi again..I have been using this site below for close up shots..from this I acquired some Pics..The place seems deteriorated some what,granted its back woods ,However Its a place that once offered a good Breakfast Country style in the larger greenish Bldg..There still are planes to be seen.the Country side however is beautiful..,Head waters for the Mighty Delaware River.start here...Thanx Vin

http://www.liveatc.net/feedmap/feedmap.html

http://www.airnav.com/airport/NK68

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/13081_zpsafd297ba.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/13081_zpsafd297ba.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4084_zps57f8bb92.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4084_zps57f8bb92.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4088_zpsf7ddb779.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4088_zpsf7ddb779.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4090_zps8b8747f6.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4090_zps8b8747f6.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4085_zps0a0ec9dd.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4085_zps0a0ec9dd.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4090_zps8b8747f6.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4090_zps8b8747f6.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4086_zps17c64559.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4086_zps17c64559.jpg.html)

Sylvanriv
August 30th, 2013, 19:57
Here's a couple shots of Ithaca:

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y405/Sylvanriv/kith_zps07051cab.jpg

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y405/Sylvanriv/ithaca_zpsc7402b8b.png

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y405/Sylvanriv/ithaca2_zpsc7d9cd76.png

http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/ITH/APD/AIRPORT+DIAGRAM/pdf (http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/ITH/APD/AIRPORT+DIAGRAM/pdf)

Terminal:http://www.flyithaca.com/img/large/instance_image_8.jpg

Hope this is of some interest...

falcon409
August 30th, 2013, 19:59
You do make some nice models Randy. I still am far behind in that area. Only problem I have (and honestly, this is just me and no reflection on what you're suggesting) is that when I decide to do an airport that people have memories of, having flown there in the past, is that the main structures should look like what they remember. . .if they don't, the "immersion factor" drops because even though the area looks right, the buildings/hangars they remember seeing each time they taxied up and parked aren't there. That's the problem for me when doing scenery that people "remember" from their past. If there isn't any decent reference material, I won't mess with it. Downsville was an exception because there wasn't anything in the buildings that was unique. Those three hangars at the end of the rwy look quite similar in size and style to what's there. . .so it worked.

These others, where they used to fly there for breakfast, or for a fly-in. . .the main Terminal/Restaurant (irregardless of it's size) was probably unique in some way (the building style, shape, outside signs, railing, fences, etc, etc) and that's the part I want to try to incorporate in the scenery. . .usually the hangars are like most of other hangars and there's usually something in the default objects that works fine, but these other buildings. . .just different.

It's irritating somewhat too, because I see the airports for the buildings that "make the airport". Pilots who fly into these little "Mom and Pop" strips see the airport differently and that's reflected in what you see when you go looking for images of the airport. You'll see picture after picture of where they park, pictures of other airplanes landing, pictures of the sign on the fence along the runways, pictures of deer crossing the rwy before someone lands, birds, clouds, houses on the other side of the airport. . . .but not ONE shot of any hangars, terminals, restaurants, nothing like that, grrrr, lol.

rdaniell
August 30th, 2013, 20:19
Actually Falcon you and I are on the same page. I agree completely with one or two buildings making the airport. I got lucky with some of my projects as there were some photos available of the building from ground level and different perspectives. A few, like Sylvester, I simply went out to the airport and made some sketches of the actual buildings.

Unfortunately, sometimes there are no photos nor can we get any sketches. That's when one's imagination is all we have to work with. And as I said, even that beats the heck out of default.

Thanks for the compliment on my models.

RD

beana51
August 30th, 2013, 20:41
Yes Of Course Its all true what you say..Our vanity in photo taking usually was our selves,and our plane...There was no concept of trying to recreate all the places one had been.Too be sure the FBOs may have had pics as to what was important to them.Was was important to many Pilots were pics of a personnel nature.Your quest for detail,in recreating are your tools..one can approximate,imagine,conjecture , however it never will replace Detail pics...Even Memory is not too valid,..Factor in over time the changes.?? Yea it Was A Red Hanger..One year later its Blue.. You Sir are a great detective,Looking for the facts..True you could mass produce scenery..But thats been done..its called DEFAULT.....now in retrospect ,some many years ago, if we knew that today we would be flying at a desk top ,why I would have taken Pics of every thing..Signs,Doors,House shapes, sleeping dogs,gas pumps,textures,and the characters meet..But we were not privy to the future.,as today we cannot envision the next level .If I had a hint of a .holodeck coming?? WOW!...So my Friend,as far as FSX ,or Simulation? You Do One Helllava job.You give us a close very approximation,and our minds,and whats left of memory, fill in the blanks and its all OK because it makes we old kids feel good! I thank you and so to do many others...Stay Well,Have fun Vin

Of course Historic movie Making always has this challange also.The eternal quest for FACTS...Verbaly and visually! They know On Pic is worth a MILLION concepts.be it true or not!!Goodnight!

Obie311
August 30th, 2013, 21:57
Excellent Scenery contributions both Downsville and Skytop. I did an enjoyable late Fall dusk flight between them. Thanks to all who contributed.

Obie

beana51
September 1st, 2013, 19:20
Another Country Air Port.High on a hill top near Handcock N.Y..fall starts early there!The flying Locals would meet every Sunday AM weather permitting For Breakfast..house Specialty? Flap jacks,local Maple Syrup.Local Hog Bacon and Sausage,From the Local hen house Eggs..and Gallons of HOT FOLGER COFFEE. this with Stories You would Never believe..!I have not been there for years.Contacted the current FBO.recently YEP got a Breakfast Invite..Here it is As It Is .This only thou the great Art and Effort Of Falcon.409.NICE STUFF!..Vin

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4101_zps9f10e485.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4101_zps9f10e485.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4102_zps8bb26e0f.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4102_zps8bb26e0f.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4103_zpsf66d4b58.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4103_zpsf66d4b58.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4104_zps5cd0bdbb.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4104_zps5cd0bdbb.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4106_zps6b901694.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4106_zps6b901694.jpg.html)

beana51
September 2nd, 2013, 17:16
Hi Dumonceau,You were interested in that Pembroke I posted..you called it The KINGS PLANE..You were wondering where it is..Well This Will satisfy you...Note Its Time at SKYTOP,It Was Then I helped Work at It..Have Fun..Vin

http://www.wreckhunters.be/caldwell-rm1.html

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13391
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/statusicon1/user-offline.png

Sylvanriv
September 10th, 2013, 15:51
Hey all,
Just checking in to see if there is anyone willing to have a shot at Ithaca. If you saw my previous post here, you know my opinion on it, and what's going on. So just wondering if anyone is open to try it! If not, that's totally fine too...if no one wants to maybe I'll have a go at ADE... :mixedsmi:

Cheers,
Sylvan

skyhawka4m
September 10th, 2013, 16:27
sure wish someone would do a good Cessna 177 or 207

MCDesigns
September 10th, 2013, 16:52
Hey all,
Just checking in to see if there is anyone willing to have a shot at Ithaca. If you saw my previous post here, you know my opinion on it, and what's going on. So just wondering if anyone is open to try it! If not, that's totally fine too...if no one wants to maybe I'll have a go at ADE... :mixedsmi:

Cheers,
Sylvan

I did have a look at it, but the main problem with it is that I couldn't find any good sat imagery for it and since that is the base for any scenery I work on, not much I can do, sorry.

Sylvanriv
September 10th, 2013, 16:56
All right, thanks for your help Michael! Out of curiousity, where do you usually get your satellite imagery?

beana51
September 10th, 2013, 17:06
Located in the HIGH POINT STATE PARK, N.J. Top of the mountains called the Shawangunks..Seen from three states.On a CAUV day it can be seen for many miles.A great Landmark,it has helped VFR flying for many years.Those from that Area will know this..It Took FALCON409 ,to make it a part of our FSX scenery..Never in Microsoft, now is..Historical,Accurate part of Aviation lore...Thanx To FALCON409 for his great talent and unselfishness with this gift...Vin<label for="rb_iconid_24">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif</label>

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4139_zps0c72d30f.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4139_zps0c72d30f.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4150_zps9c024122.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4150_zps9c024122.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4152_zps087a2cf5.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4152_zps087a2cf5.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4148_zpsa5b99394.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4148_zpsa5b99394.jpg.html)

beana51
September 12th, 2013, 12:25
Will fly the Ridge,.At HIGH POINT the HUO VOR is near..Traffic into Stewart can be fun..The 105th Airlift Wing of the New York Air National Guard is based at Stewart Air National Guard Base.having a C-5 off yer wing tip Well.One will feel as Diminutive as a fly! I stay on my side of the ridge ,they on the other side..I THINK?<label for="rb_iconid_15">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon28.gif</label>...These scenery's are the works of Michael,and Falcon409...As Real As It Can get...Vin

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4162_zps63ecbae4.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4162_zps63ecbae4.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4164_zps566770ce.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4164_zps566770ce.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4156_zps3848c963.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4156_zps3848c963.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4157_zps1dd026bc.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4157_zps1dd026bc.jpg.html)