PDA

View Full Version : do any FSX downloads work in CFS3?

gaw
August 22nd, 2013, 06:07
do any FSX downloads work in CFS3? There are some gorgeous paint jobs for ships it'd be fun to import. Are any parts workable across platforms before I start corrupting files by tinkering?

gecko
August 22nd, 2013, 07:13
Sounds often will work, though there are some done in a newer format specific to FSX, however I think the majority still use the old format which is CFS3 compatible. Other than that there are textures that can sometimes be converted for use in CFS3. I don't know about FSX, but there are a few CFS2 and FS2004 aircraft that also have a CFS3 version and the texture mapping is compatible.

Daiwilletti
August 22nd, 2013, 15:20
do any FSX downloads work in CFS3? There are some gorgeous paint jobs for ships it'd be fun to import. Are any parts workable across platforms before I start corrupting files by tinkering?

Hi GAW, in respect of ships, I see an increasing number of addons uploaded to SOH provide the GMax source file. For example a number of CFS2 ships. This offers a real opportunity to add diversity if the owners of the work are willing to allow the models to be ported over to CFS3.

I would guess that if you get permission, any Gmax files from FSX could with a bit of work be converted to be compatible with CFS3 by exporting as an m3d?

D

hairyspin
August 22nd, 2013, 21:44
Textures for FSX in .dds format will need flipped vertically. FSX supports .dds DXT1 format (CFS3-compatible) and DXT5 (not compatible): conversion may be needed. Watch the alpha channel too: FSX uses alpha to control reflection or opacity, depending on how the original model was built. Compiled models are not CFS3-compatible but gmax source files can be made compatible for anything gmax can export to, with some work. Sounds are fine - I have an FS9/FSX soundpack for my model which sounds terrific.

One consideration: CFS3 expects a single texture file (without alpha) for the model if the .mos (damage effects) file is to work: FSX models often use lots of texture files.

Daiwilletti
August 24th, 2013, 14:05
Textures for FSX in .dds format will need flipped vertically. FSX supports .dds DXT1 format (CFS3-compatible) and DXT5 (not compatible): conversion may be needed. Watch the alpha channel too: FSX uses alpha to control reflection or opacity, depending on how the original model was built. Compiled models are not CFS3-compatible but gmax source files can be made compatible for anything gmax can export to, with some work. Sounds are fine - I have an FS9/FSX soundpack for my model which sounds terrific.

One consideration: CFS3 expects a single texture file (without alpha) for the model if the .mos (damage effects) file is to work: FSX models often use lots of texture files.

Thanks for that info all in one place, Hairyspin! Very helpful, I hope to take a look at these things as health and time allow.