PDA

View Full Version : Old Acton Airfield posted

MCDesigns
August 20th, 2013, 13:24
In case anyone is interested, I uploaded my Old Action Airfield scenery this morning. Ed was kind enough to host it since it is a rather large file. Enjoy and please read the readme as it has some important info on compatibility and whatnot.

Scenery
https://app.box.com/shared/static/hivaiiecdeiq0q9ssvyn.zip

opps AFCAD
https://app.box.com/shared/static/25xszudb4feleze2tvld.zip

and final image

http://imageshack.us/a/img839/8382/fkqd.jpg

Montie
August 20th, 2013, 15:20
Thanks Michael! And Ed for hosting:salute:

rdaniell
August 20th, 2013, 20:31
Looking good :applause:there MC. Of course I won't be able to install anymore scenery now that my HD is full:icon_lol::icon_lol:

RD

rdaniell
August 20th, 2013, 21:25
I got a notice to reposess this Cessna due to MC being waaaaay behind on his payments. I checked the tanks and found them dry. I ask this young lady if anyone else was around? She said: "Just her sister and Zeus and Apollo."

Since there was no fuel available, I had to leave without the airplane. I didn't see anybody else at the strip. I wonder who Zeus and Apollo are?

RD

Dave Torkington
August 21st, 2013, 00:05
Thought I'd explore the airfield first before taking to the skies...

Very nice modeling details and texture work Michael! Photoreal blends in superbly with the surrounding too. If my work were half as good I'd be over the moon...

Thanks to Falcon for hosting too. :applause:

Montie
August 21st, 2013, 01:03
Great scenery! Easy on the frames as well:jump:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/Montie/FSX/oldacton1_zps28fde143.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Montie/media/FSX/oldacton1_zps28fde143.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/Montie/FSX/oldacton2_zpse0867110.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Montie/media/FSX/oldacton2_zpse0867110.jpg.html)

MCDesigns
August 21st, 2013, 02:18
Thanks all, appreciate the responses and the images. Glad you are enjoying it!

spotlope
August 21st, 2013, 03:24
Looks fantastic, Michael! Nice work.

Roger
August 21st, 2013, 04:04
Downloaded and will install tonight:ernae:

rdaniell
August 21st, 2013, 05:04
I really hated to do it MC but, a fella has to make a living. Smilin Obie and I came back in his Shorts with some fuel to get the Cessna. I didn't know it but, he's a "dog whisperer." Zeus and Apollo got in the airplane and left with him. He brought some guy named "Face" with him and the sisters left with him. I don't know what kind of promises he made.

Anytime you want to reclaim your airplane, you need to get in touch with First Fidelity Trust.

RD

Paul Domingue
August 21st, 2013, 21:23
This is really a nice addon for me because I used to live on lower Mousam Lake in Acton. It was a little tuff getting in with my Duck because the trees are tall at both ends but I made it. A quick touch and go on the lake and then off to KSFM to see if George Bush Sr.'s plane was there.

Very nice work.

fxsttcb
August 22nd, 2013, 03:50
Nicely done Michael! :applause:

Just one observation. When I parked my C152 next to the static 172, it looked out of scale. I loaded the default 172 to see if it was the plane. No biggie(pun intended)! ...Don

MCDesigns
August 22nd, 2013, 04:05
Sorry about the scale issue Don, I have a scale object i use in Gmax, will have to look at that.

Paul, that is very cool to hear. One of the great things for me when developing scenery is learning more about the area and culture/history about it. I looked at the photoreal Acton so much, i felt like I had been there at one point, LOL.

Thanks for the responses and the images, much appreciated.:salute:

sidler
August 22nd, 2013, 05:14
Hi Michael

Excellent...My previous home base was Skyhaven Airport (KDAW) (Rochester N.H.). Now my new homebase is Acton :salute:.

Sidler a.k.a. Dick

Sieggie
August 22nd, 2013, 06:12
Looks great, but FS Genisis mesh makes the runway and taxiways irregular. Its a bummer for me, as it is very nice visually and I love landing on runways that are not MS, perfectly flat. Its not the first time higher resolution mesh has caused this type of problem for me.

Thanks,

Dave

MCDesigns
August 22nd, 2013, 06:45
Thanks Dick!!:jump:

Dave, can you post an image to show how much is off or PM me the amount, I can adjust the flattens if that would help. I like the sloped runway myself, but due to the objects and the shadow plane (flickers if not flat) I used, I needed to have the flattens and since I don't have any high def mesh for the US I didn't see it.

Sieggie
August 22nd, 2013, 07:40
I don't think there is anything you can do about it, short of creating higher res mesh for this area to override the FSG mesh. I will take a pic when I get home tonight and send it to you. FSG seems to think there is a small hill in the middle of the runway and everything slopes in distinct levels from the upper parking area to the lower parking area. Some of the upper parking is below ground and autogen has taken control and planted trees there. :) As I said, I have encountered this on many occasions. It's a choice between distinct mountains and hills with the High res mesh but airports in holes or on plateaus or mostly flat terrain with airports without holes or plateaus. I believe you posted the files you used to build the airport also so I will take a look and see if there is anything that can be done to correct it. I would guess that each of the different terrain packages available (free or payware) will give different results so there may not be a common solution for everyone. Your solution of using default will no doubt accommodate the largest percentage of FSX users. We that use non default terrain know the risks. I do not expect you to expend any additional time fixing this for the very small number of people not using default mesh. Your time is better spent creating new things and let those of us with special setups figure out how to compensate or not for the difference in our setups.

Thanks,

Dave

YoYo
August 22nd, 2013, 14:36
Sorry but I cant use this interesting scenery, always I have api.dll fsx crash when Id like to use it. Pity but looks very good.

MCDesigns
August 22nd, 2013, 15:11
Sorry but I cant use this interesting scenery, always I have api.dll fsx crash when Id like to use it. Pity but looks very good.

Sorry for that, I can't imagine what would cause that, but I have never experienced a crash with it, anyone else?

I just did a quick search and Pete Dowson (FSUIPC) say this

Crashes in API.DLL are almost always a sign of a bad CFG, WX or FLT file

Don't know if that helps. The textures are mostly 2048 x 2048, so that might make a difference depending on the system. Wish I could help more, but thanks for trying to enjoy it.

YoYo
August 22nd, 2013, 21:44
Dont know, never had it before. :icon29:

Sieggie
August 23rd, 2013, 16:20
Michael,

Here is what it looks like center field with FSG mesh installed.

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab326/sieggie1/02ME_zpsf82fda07.png?t=1377303333

Dave

MCDesigns
August 23rd, 2013, 16:33
Thanks Dave, what I will do is make a flatten for the whole area, at least you can use it then, sorry about that. Give me a day as my design laptop is at the GFs apt.

Sieggie
August 23rd, 2013, 17:50
You don't have to do that, I can create a flatten. I think looking at the aerials that they may be digging up the airfield and the mesh data could be correct. If you look at the birds eye view of now they are digging what looks like limestone out of that hill. I appreciate your concern but there is no need to fix it for me. I can still land and take off using the A2A piper with big wheels :)

PS. the babes are a nice touch.

Thanks,

Dave

Sieggie
August 24th, 2013, 13:10
If you have FSG installed and want to try this scenery, go to the "Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery302\scenery\ directory and add .off to the FSGdem0302_us_014008.bgl file. Next time you start FSX the terrain mesh for the airport will be default. To put back FSG just remove the .off from the end of the file again and restart FSX.

Dave