PDA

View Full Version : Portover Question

WarHorse47
August 20th, 2013, 11:47
I've installed the AlphaSim B-57B Canberra in FSX.

Everything looks and sounds good, and works well - except for one item. None of the switches on the VC are functioning. Not the simicons, the heading or nav setting dials, or any of the light or engine switches.

The gauges work just fine, as all the 2D panels which I have to use to set the AP, etc.

Since everything works with the 2D panels, what is prohibiting the switches from working in the VC? And is there a solution?

Just curious as usual.

Thanks in advance.

Bjoern
August 21st, 2013, 03:53
Are the switches supposed to work, i.e. how old is the model?

hschuit
August 21st, 2013, 05:10
I had the same issue in FSX. The model is from 2005 and the VC uses 2D gauges which are defined in the panel.cfg - VC sections. I think it is something in the MDL file that prevents those gauges to be mouse clicked. The VC also has 3D landing gear and throttle levers and those do work in FSX.
Also, the exterior shine is lost in FSX, I tried everything I could with MDLMat but no luck. At the end of the day I removed it from FSX because I find it much nicer in FS9.

WarHorse47
August 21st, 2013, 05:50
hschuit pretty much summarized the situation.

I don't mind the lack of shine, but I was curious about the switch gauges. The gauges that are for readout work fine in both the 2D and VC panels. The gauges that are used as switches for various functions light lights only work in the 2D panels. Since I fly mostly from the VC I was looking for a solution.

I gave thought to switching out the gauges from another aircraft, but that doesn't seem to work either. For example, I could use some of the gauges from the AlphaSim Crusader, but I wasn't sure if that would be a waste of time or not.

hschuit
August 21st, 2013, 06:23
Swapping 2D gauges from another aircraft won't help. Like I said, the isssue is in the MDL file. I did read something about this a long time ago so don't remember the details. From what I remember, the position of the VC plane that is used to project the 2D gauges on is not aligned in FSx with the mouse click spots or whatever they are called.

Bjoern
August 23rd, 2013, 09:06
Well, turns out I'm having the same problem in my 737...which I've converted into FSX native format. So this problem might not necessarily be restricted to portovers.
I do agree, however, that it must be a model file problem.

WarHorse47
August 23rd, 2013, 09:26
Here is the extent of my learning experiences.

As already mentioned, none of the VC switches function with the AlphaSim B-57. I should also mentioned that none of the Simicons for the 2D panels work either. No tool tips, nothing.

I also ported the entire fleet of the Flying Stations Canberras. With these some of the switches work, some do not. Specifically, those switches on the lower left panel for lights do not work. The throttle on the same panel does work. Those that work display tool tips. those that do not work, do not display tool tips.

Inasmuch as I understand the concept of "the position of the VC plane" not being correct, it doesn't explain why some switches work whiles others do not on the same plane.

So, for those that create model files, can someone provide some technical explanation on the differences between FS9 and FSX with regards to gauge like switches?? Maybe this might be a market for someone to develop a utility to correct this??

Just wishing out loud. Thanks everyone for your input. :applause:

Bjoern
August 23rd, 2013, 09:54
Here is the extent of my learning experiences.

As already mentioned, none of the VC switches function with the AlphaSim B-57. I should also mentioned that none of the Simicons for the 2D panels work either. No tool tips, nothing.

Try moving the eyepoint in the aircraft.cfg. If it's stuck in a headrest, you won't be able to click anything.

Maybe this might be a market for someone to develop a utility to correct this??

Highly unlikely unless one finds a way to alter model files in this specific area.

Dangerousdave26
August 23rd, 2013, 10:48
Its most likely an animation incompatibility on the non working switches.

The old WOP P51D/H package does the same thing. Some of the switches work in the VC some do not.

FS9 and FSX handle animations differently, some of the animations FS9 would do FSX will not.

I don't think there is a fix for this issue.

Bjoern
August 23rd, 2013, 11:59
There's no difference in the code per se. Only the code tags are capitalized or spelled differently.