PDA

View Full Version : Craig and Matts F4 Pantom Project

MDIvey
August 15th, 2013, 00:07
If you have been around for a while on the SOH scene you may recall this thread…

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?70801-Phantom-Mesh-Up-for-Grabs&highlight=Phantom+Mesh+up+for+grabs

a little update for you...

It is shame that nothing has developed so far from this. As stated in the thread Phil(Skippy Bing) has a copy of the mesh and he fully intended to do develop this for FSX, but nothing has come from that so far... that is not a criticism of Phil in anyway… with the best will in the world, things do not always work out as we intend. I think we'd all like to see a Flying Stations F4K/M and someday maybe we will.

When Craig and I met up recently and where discussing what to do next, now that the Sopwith Pup is nearing release, the subject of the Phantom came up in conversation. Craig offered as a favour to me to do some work on it to get it up to a basic freeware standard, so that I could at least fulfill my desire to see it in FSX. Craig has done some amazing work on it adding detail that I had not (because I didn't have the reference available at the time)... and expanding the resolution of the mesh (I was a bit unduly worried about the poly count when I made it). What he has done has turned out so well that its looking like it will be pushed that bit further and made a payware model under the Rara-Avis Sim label. I think he's been bitten by the Gas Burner Bug:icon_lol:

We cant be any more certain of finishing this than anyone else... all we can say at the moment is that this is a promising development for fans of the Phantom. At the moment the F-4B and F-4N are the focus of our attention but we’re not ruling out other versions of the F-4. Here are a few pic’s of the current progress in the 3D StudioMAX development software. Consider this thread a peak through our work shop window. Let the journey commence:icon_lol:

Matt

modelr
August 15th, 2013, 02:22
Thanks for the news and preview, Matt. Will be watching this one for sure. :jump:

hschuit
August 15th, 2013, 02:28
Thanks for the HU, that model look spot on :salute:. Does this "Rara-Avis Sim" have a website or FB page? Google only gives me a Sopwith Pup Youtube movie...

thanks, Henk.

heywooood
August 15th, 2013, 04:05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-3e0EkvIEM

I'm with these guys

MDIvey
August 15th, 2013, 04:33
Thanks for the HU, that model look spot on :salute:. Does this "Rara-Avis Sim" have a website or FB page? Google only gives me a Sopwith Pup Youtube movie...

thanks, Henk.

No, Sorry Henk ... we don't have a Web page or facebook page at the moment. We do all our previewing here at SOH. We needed a label to market our payware under to distinguish it from the freeware projects Craig and I have done... available at Craig's freeware site...http://classicwings.net/

Craig did start a thread here somewhere on SOH to introduce the Rara-Avis Sim label... but even I cant find it at the moment so I'll leave Craig to post a link here to it since others may have missed it. Craig came up with the name Rara Avis... its latin for rare bird or thing...which tends to be our bag. Although you may not think of a Phantom as a rare bird in FSX there are not too many to be had at the moment... although there are currently a number in development.:icon_lol:

Matt

MDIvey
August 15th, 2013, 04:37
Heywood... I get enough of Gulls nesting on my roof:icon_lol:... I didn't realize there squawking meant "mine, mine":icon_lol:

Matt

huub vink
August 15th, 2013, 04:39
The thread in which Criag (Full) announces "Rara-Avis Sim"

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?80723-Rara-Avis-Sim-For-FSX-P3D

Cheers,

hschuit
August 15th, 2013, 04:48
Matt & Huub: Thank you for the "Rara-Avis Sim" info/links !

cheers, Henk.

stovall
August 15th, 2013, 06:27
Oh man, great news of the WIP. The native F-4 has been on my wish list what seems like forever. These are exciting times with all the great aircraft to be released in the future. Thanks guys for pushing the Phantom further into reality.

dhazelgrove
August 15th, 2013, 06:52
Craig did start a thread here somewhere on SOH to introduce the Rara-Avis Sim label... but even I cant find it at the moment

I believe he mentioned it when talking about your WW1 offering, the Sopwith Pup?

Regarding the Phantom - oh, the repaint possibilities.....

Dave

MDIvey
August 15th, 2013, 08:12
Regarding the Phantom - oh, the repaint possibilities.....
Dave

Your not wrong there.

Matt

dhazelgrove
August 15th, 2013, 08:26
Your not wrong there.

Matt

Something like these? Yes, I know they're both the F-4J, but both squadrons would perhaps have flown something similar on the "B"-model.

Dave

Lionheart
August 15th, 2013, 08:28
Awesome news! I love those F4's.

MDIvey
August 15th, 2013, 09:18
I think a lot of us are very excited by the prospect of an FSX native Phantom.

Dave... I'm still researching paint schemes for the B/N so I'm open to suggestions. We may yet do a J which would open up bags of additional possibilities.

Matt

findus
August 16th, 2013, 03:14
Great project, I´m really looking forward to fly this bird!

Just a few suggestions for the repaints ;-)

Navy Chief
August 16th, 2013, 04:23
And another suggestion! VF-143 Pukin' Dogs!

And just a cool Phantom painting....

Dumonceau
August 16th, 2013, 05:52
Heck, it's a Phantom! I'll take any that comes by and looks as good as this one does. The only things I (humbly) ask for are: smoke, flames and NOISE! :icon_lol:

It's about time we had a good Phantom in FSX. I'm getting a bit tired of flying my half-hearted C9 portover!

sketchy
August 16th, 2013, 21:30
If you have been around for a while on the SOH scene you may recall this thread…

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?70801-Phantom-Mesh-Up-for-Grabs&highlight=Phantom+Mesh+up+for+grabs

a little update for you...

It is shame that nothing has developed so far from this. As stated in the thread Phil(Skippy Bing) has a copy of the mesh and he fully intended to do develop this for FSX, but nothing has come from that so far... that is not a criticism of Phil in anyway… with the best will in the world, things do not always work out as we intend. I think we'd all like to see a Flying Stations F4K/M and someday maybe we will.

:icon_lol:

Matt

You have me to blame for that not SkippyBing, I am his texture artist and real life has got in the way of finishing our other projects in front of the F4.

stovall
August 17th, 2013, 06:20
sketchy, you deserve no blame at all. Real life always comes first. That is why it is called real life. We are just thankful the project is still alive. We all look forward to any possible contribution you make for the upcoming F4.

MDIvey
August 17th, 2013, 06:52
Indeed no blame from here either to Phil or sketchy... that's just life...I see on your facebook page things are progressing with your Bucc S2. That will be a welcome addition to FSX.

thanks for the paint suggestions... will keep those in mind

Matt

huub vink
August 17th, 2013, 11:00
It looks great, but it doesn't have a propeller! :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Cheers,
Huub

bully707
August 17th, 2013, 11:47
Oh man, great news of the WIP. The native F-4 has been on my wish list what seems like forever. These are exciting times with all the great aircraft to be released in the future. Thanks guys for pushing the Phantom further into reality.

Oh yes...PLEASE bring it on...! :jump::jump::jump:
Now that the Rhino has been extinct in Germany...that would be Phabulous, Phantastic, Phenomenal...I have been longing to phly a FSX naitive Phantom phor soooo long! The Virtavia FS9 Version is nice...but a native one would be even better! :icon_lol:

Bjoern
August 17th, 2013, 12:45
Why don't you guys join forces with Alexis from Project Airbus?
He's working on a so far very good looking F-4B/C and I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't say no to someone willing to help out here and there.

You guys could paint something or do other versions of the Rhino or...

http://talk.pafs.wf/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2598

MDIvey
August 18th, 2013, 00:04
Thanks for suggestion.

I was aware of that F4 project and others. it looks good. The great thing about doing your own is that you can do it exactly how you would like it done... So whilst I'm looking forward to the others our one is the most exciting prospect to me...naturally so I guess

Matt

Bjoern
August 19th, 2013, 05:52
The great thing about doing your own is that you can do it exactly how you would like it done... So whilst I'm looking forward to the others our one is the most exciting prospect to me...naturally so I guess

Of course, but with freeware developers being few and far between, a double take at the same thing is a bit of a waste from an outsider's point of view.

Consider me looking forward to your model though. Can't have too many Phantoms.

FentiFlier1
August 19th, 2013, 06:26
The model looks very nice indeed, but to be honest I am surprised to see a new Phantom project as that plane isn't exactly a "rare bird".

I realise and accept that FS works this way, with multiple takes on the big classics overshadowing lesser known aircraft; but I admit I would have been more excited at something a bit different (F-101 Voodoo?).

Still, good to see Rara Avis are off to a dynamic start! :salute:

Owen.

Sieggie
August 19th, 2013, 06:57
The model looks very nice indeed, but to be honest I am surprised to see a new Phantom project as that plane isn't exactly a "rare bird".

Owen.

Could you please give us a list of all the other FSX native Phantoms and where to find them?

Dave

vora
August 19th, 2013, 09:41
Could you please give us a list of all the other FSX native Phantoms and where to find them?

Dave

I think he is refering to Phantom projects, of which there are at least 3: Craig&Matt, Alex&Jamal and A2A. The latter one being the most anticipated but also the one farest away. I suspect that A2A's announcement of a Phantom 5 years ago is the reason why we still don't have a native Phantom by now. Looks like other developers now realized that an accusim'ed F-4 is probably still years away (with A2A having C172, PA28 and F-104 in the pipeline ahead).

dhazelgrove
August 19th, 2013, 10:16
I believe that UKMIL has the British F-4s on its drawing boards somewhere, too.
Probably the Leuchars-based FG.1, at least to start with.

Dave

FentiFlier1
August 19th, 2013, 10:36

Dave

:mixedsmi: Quite right sir, I get your point.

There might be several planned but there is still no native FSX Phantom. And as others have said there is no guarantee there will be - so A2A have left a hole in the market and it is perfectly fair game for other developers to fill it.

One thing's for sure, I wouldn't mind a Phantom but I'll only buy one!

fliger747
August 20th, 2013, 08:23
The ph phour was the most iconic and phabulous phiter of the era. Very nice indeed!

T

MDIvey
September 21st, 2013, 04:40
Time for an update....

Its always a big moment when I get to try one of my models in FSX for the first time... especially so when it involves carrier launches and recovery's. This is the first build Craig has sent me and there is obviously a long way still to go. The Pajama suit colours are easier for us to use in the early stages of development... I know they look hideous but never mind. I'm really looking forward to seeing a painted version with Bump and spec maps etc although that's a way down the line. I have done the decal artwork for the first paint though... a VF84 N Phantom. A lot of other progress has been made that is not evident.... Craig has added an awful lot of detail and I've done a few additional things too... I was never quite happy with the shape of the Nose IR probe so I redid that with some references that I didn't have when originally making the mesh. I also found the N introduced a fixed Slat on the leading edge of the elevators so I built and added that. Some of the fantastic detail Craig has added I will show you at a later time.

Matt

dhazelgrove
September 21st, 2013, 04:52
Oh, that's nice. Can't wait.

Dave

ST0RM
September 21st, 2013, 06:59
Matt, can I offer a suggestion with the model?

I know this is very early on, but with most USN F-4s, they often flew with only the centerline fuel tank when operating from the carrier. Granted there were exceptions where the wing tanks were flown (or all 3), but I've found that it was not as common.

The Royal Navy however, was the opposite. It was very regular to see them with the wing tanks.

Looking great and enjoy seeing it advanced toward release.

Thanks!
Jeff

MDIvey
September 21st, 2013, 07:48
Its early days but we're hoping to have the payload configurable, so you'll be able to put on the plane what you want to.

Matt

MDIvey
October 4th, 2013, 01:53
I wondered why whenever I look for this thread the search engine never finds it... I spelt Phantom wrong in the title... sorry about that. Is it possible to edit that? I haven't figured out a way yet.

I don't want to get too far off topic but I just wondered what Pantom (I mean Phantom:icon_lol:) era carriers are available to use with AI Carriers. The above pictures show the Team SDB Enterprise which is truly excellent but its not really Phantom era. I've got the Oriskany... just wondered if I'd missed any others.

Matt

skyhawka4m
October 4th, 2013, 02:35
something about the shape of the nose.......looks too narrow??? Also, I think the sidewinders might be the wrong variant for the B/C model era?? I could be wrong....don't get me wrong guys./.....I love that this F-4 is being done....just trying to help.

http://www.aviationgraphic.com/80-180-thickbox/f-4c-phantom-ii-hawaii-ang-jp-826-.jpg

bstolle
October 4th, 2013, 02:38
1.something about the shape of the nose.......looks too narrow???
2.I think the sidewinders might be the wrong variant for the B/C model era??
3.I could be wrong

1. On Craigs F-4 or the one in your drawing?
2. Furthermore looking at the drooped ailerons I'd say it's not a B, hence the Sidewinders are correct
3. Indeed

MDIvey
October 4th, 2013, 03:42
Skyhawk...Craig and I have considered a lot of sources as to the look of the F4 and I would say overall we are happy with what we have come up with. I'm amazed at the variations I see in scale drawings and colour profiles for example... Its hard to believe some times its the same subject matter. I thank you for sharing your thoughts Skyhawk but I think we will have to agree to differ on this one. I must admit I will be glad to see the model as a textured version because the multi colour appearance does rather act like disruptive camouflage in breaking up the shape... perhaps that is affecting the way you perceive it? BTW the model is meant to be an -N...we haven't been looking that closely yet as to what would need changing to make it a -B.

Bernt... Looking forward to trying the FDE you've done. I did the Ejection seats this week so I'm just waiting for Craig to put it all together in a new build.

Matt

bstolle
October 4th, 2013, 04:17
The FDE is coming along very nice. Just sent a few remaining detail questions concerning BLC which are not covered in the manuals to an ex Phantom phlyer....

MDIvey
October 4th, 2013, 05:57
Sounds great Bernt

Skyhawk... your comments prompted me to check a couple of things and I did spot something to do with the way the fuselage blends into the missile recesses so as long as Craig is agreeable I will make an adjustment.

Matt