PDA

View Full Version : Looking for

Butcherbird17
August 14th, 2013, 10:22
I am looking for a freeware alternative to these ORBX library grass objects. (see pic) These objects are a patch type
(cover more ground) and when you overlay them you get the desired look.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/Butcherbird17/Midwaygrass_zps5a9b79f2.jpg~original (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/Butcherbird17/media/Midwaygrass_zps5a9b79f2.jpg.html)

The ORBX objects are only used to show what I am after, and will NOT be used. Thanks for any help with this.

Joe

Sascha66
August 14th, 2013, 11:18
I am looking for a freeware alternative to these ORBX library grass objects. (see pic) These objects are a patch type
(cover more ground) and when you overlay them you get the desired look.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/Butcherbird17/Midwaygrass_zps5a9b79f2.jpg~original (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/Butcherbird17/media/Midwaygrass_zps5a9b79f2.jpg.html)

The ORBX objects are only used to show what I am after, and will NOT be used. Thanks for any help with this.

Joe

That looks aweome!

Francois
August 14th, 2013, 13:01
You may want to check out the RealEarthX grass textures at our shop ?

binarkansas
August 14th, 2013, 13:42
Francois:

I am interested in FSGrass. On the website, I cannot find what format the Grass is. Are they object files that can it be placed with instant scenery?

Thank you

falcon409
August 14th, 2013, 16:01
It would be nice if there were screens to show how the grass actually looks in the sim after placement. . .the flat screenshot of a dozen or so grasses does little. . . .are they 3D grasses or flat (always facing you)? I realize at that price, it's basically giving it away, but still, some better screenshots are needed. I've done several for use in my sceneries, but I'm not having much success with them showing up. If these were better (but it's hard to tell) I'd go ahead and purchase them.

binarkansas
August 14th, 2013, 16:40
It would be nice if there were screens to show how the grass actually looks in the sim after placement. . .the flat screenshot of a dozen or so grasses does little. . . .are they 3D grasses or flat (always facing you)? I realize at that price, it's basically giving it away, but still, some better screenshots are needed. I've done several for use in my sceneries, but I'm not having much success with them showing up. If these were better (but it's hard to tell) I'd go ahead and purchase them.

Yep, me too!

MCDesigns
August 14th, 2013, 17:51
based of what I see they are just textures, you will still have to make the grass object.

falcon409
August 14th, 2013, 18:06
hmmm, for less than 3Bucks US. . .I might take the plunge and give those a try.

MCDesigns
August 14th, 2013, 18:11
hmmm, for less than 3Bucks US. . .I might take the plunge and give those a try.

You can find a few textures with alphas online also for free. I have a few HD grass/plant meshes, so using a non FS related software I can render those in any sunlight and save as a .png for textures. Here is a quick test I did for a project

http://imageshack.us/a/img39/7311/t5n9.jpg

falcon409
August 14th, 2013, 18:15
Whoa, nice Michael. Other than the fact that something suppresses my grass, lol. . .I think the density of mine is what I'm unhappy with. Of course that's easily corrected by mixing in or overlapping tiles of the same grass objects. By the way, purchased the grass from FSAddon and they are scenery objects not just the textures.

MCDesigns
August 14th, 2013, 18:31
Whoa, nice Michael. Other than the fact that something suppresses my grass, lol. . .I think the density of mine is what I'm unhappy with. Of course that's easily corrected by mixing in or overlapping tiles of the same grass objects. By the way, purchased the grass from FSAddon and they are scenery objects not just the textures.

As long as you use LODS, you can have some good density up close.
Good deal on the grass, look forward to seeing how they look.

falcon409
August 14th, 2013, 18:42
Ok, buy it. . .lol, I don't think you can go wrong really. There are quite a number of variations in density of the same grass types which intermixed could give you some great coverages. There are some that are a bit too intense (color-wise) but adjusting the texture should correct that. I had my ground shadow box clicked so that square shadow kinda takes a way from the appearance some. It's a good buy for 2.75 US.
I am only showing three different densities here, by the way.

MCDesigns
August 14th, 2013, 18:45
NICE, like that first image.

Butcherbird17
August 14th, 2013, 18:46
Falcon,
Are these objects a single plant or in a group? The one I used from ORBX is more of a group and it is about the length of the bell 47 and just a little wider. It is a little sparse, but once you overlap you get the effect I got in my pic.
If it is more of a group, I will pick them up.

Joe

edit: you posted while I was typing :)

falcon409
August 14th, 2013, 18:54
Well, if you look at the far right image. . .each of those small groups shows the various types of grass, each one being a separate object. What they have done is increase the coverage of each set or type of grass to allow larger coverages. I didn't look at the largest one to see what size area it covered. But if you're asking are all those in one set, no, each type is a separate object and each type get's increasingly denser coverage and size as they go up. Also, I have enlarged the size of the grass from it's default size. These were increased considerably so they could be viewed easier, but that's the beauty of objects like this, you can adjust sizes to vary the appearance. . .it looks more natural that way I think.

Butcherbird17
August 14th, 2013, 19:19
That's what i wanted to know. This is what i'm after when finished (pic). I don't want to spend a month planting grass on a whole island.:icon_lol: I also see that IS3 has a copy/paste ability so i will need to see how it works and if its possible to outline an area, then copy/paste it in another area. Might take some time out of the project if it does that.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/Butcherbird17/Midwaygrass_02_zpsb5cb536a.jpg~original (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/Butcherbird17/media/Midwaygrass_02_zpsb5cb536a.jpg.html)

Joe

Francois
August 14th, 2013, 23:24
Sorry guys, time zones! I went to bed after I posted my suggestion. I see that Ed already bought and replied.... thanks Ed ! :wavey:

rdaniell
August 15th, 2013, 01:27
Here's a couple screen shots of some grass I've been working on recently. I'm not happy with the color but someone with a paint program could probably fix that. One shot is with the grass at 0 elevation. The other is with the grass at -1 feet elevation.

I also have a question for you, Francois....If I were to use your payware grasses in one of my freeware sceneries, wouldn't I then need to put a statment in the readme to the effect that in order for the grasses to show up in their scenery, they would have to have a bought copy of the grasses?

RD

binarkansas
August 15th, 2013, 04:32
Here's a couple screen shots of some grass I've been working on recently. I'm not happy with the color but someone with a paint program could probably fix that. One shot is with the grass at 0 elevation. The other is with the grass at -1 feet elevation.

I also have a question for you, Francois....If I were to use your payware grasses in one of my freeware sceneries, wouldn't I then need to put a statment in the readme to the effect that in order for the grasses to show up in their scenery, they would have to have a bought copy of the grasses?

RD

RD: Your grass is looking good.

rdaniell
August 15th, 2013, 05:01
RD: Your grass is looking good.

Thank you. I downloaded GIMP this morning and now have the color looking a little bit better. I've spent nearly two hours this morning messing around with this grass project. That's one of the reasons (the amount of time spent on a project) why those of us who do freeware scenery get a little upset when most folks who download our work don't bother to post a screen shot or simply say "thank you."

Of course the lack of screen shots or thank yous won't dampen my motivation for what I do.

Looks like I could use a hug this morning...LOL

RD

Francois
August 15th, 2013, 05:04

RD

That would be preferred, yes :applause:

rdaniell
August 15th, 2013, 05:12
That would be preferred, yes :applause:

That's what I thought would be appropriate in order not to violate any copyright issues. So a statement in the ReadMe might look something like this:
Some of the grass objects in this scenery are payware from FSAddon Publishing. In order for these to show in the scenery, you will need to have a purchased
copy.

RD

falcon409
August 15th, 2013, 06:19
That's what I thought would be appropriate in order not to violate any copyright issues. So a statement in the ReadMe might look something like this:
Some of the grass objects in this scenery are payware from FSAddon Publishing. In order for these to show in the scenery, you will need to have a purchased
copy.
RD
Nope Randy, I feel Francois is having a bit of fun with you, lol. You use the grass in your projects and it produces a bgl file with textures. It's like placing any other scenery objects in your scenery. No need for anyone to purchase in order to see.

fxsttcb
August 15th, 2013, 06:26
...Looks like I could use a hug this morning...LOL

RD:icon_eek:...Ahhh What the hay..{Insert Big Hug}:redf:...:icon_lol:...:running:...Don

rdaniell
August 15th, 2013, 06:37
:icon_eek:...Ahhh What the hay..{Insert Big Hug}:redf:...:icon_lol:...:running:...Don

I knew I could count on my wingman.....Are you stopping by the BBQ joint later enroute to Dog Island?

RD

Francois
August 15th, 2013, 06:45
Not mandatory, but it would still be preferred. Remember, I make a hefty 15 cents profit on these things!!! :jump:

rdaniell
August 15th, 2013, 06:52
Thanks Francois for your answer but, the question is now moot for me. I'm finally satisfied with my own SketchUp grass. Nothing negative intended toward yours; however, I prefer to use my own custom objects whenever possible.

RD

Francois
August 15th, 2013, 07:12
No problem at all... the more grass the merrier :icon_lol:

rdaniell
August 15th, 2013, 07:16
No problem at all... the more grass the merrier :icon_lol:

Thank you very much for your understanding. BTW....I also sent you a p.m.

RD

falcon409
August 15th, 2013, 08:20
Ok, I would like an "Honest" interpretation on this Francois. Are you seriously saying that if I/we use the grass textures/bgl's in our scenery that anyone who downloads and uses the scenery must purchase the same grass? In other words we're prohibited from including the grass in our zip files?

Francois
August 15th, 2013, 09:59
Absolutely not....... but I must be allowed to make some publicity am I not? If even jokingly? Like I told Randy already, I am not Orbx :icon_lol:

Will have a bunch of freeware objects available myself soon..... stay tuned :wavey: