PDA

View Full Version : Texturing in SketchUp..

rdaniell
August 14th, 2013, 07:21
A question was raised in one of Falcon409's post about texturing. Not wanting to "hijack" his thread I decided to start a new one.

I'm attaching some screen shots of a simple deck from just a blank deck to a textured one. Not sure exactly how to sequence screen shots but,
the second should show just the top of the deck textured. The next has top and one side. The next shows another side but the texture is incorrect.
In order to get the texture correct, I had to use another version of the texture....this time a vertical texture format. The other two used a horizontal board format. Later when compiling this in MDX, the two textures would have to be given discreet names.

I owe what little bit I know about this to our own Dimus from here at the Outhouse. Thanks buddy.

RD

falcon409
August 14th, 2013, 07:40
RD do you "draw" each texture on, or do you use the eyedropper to get the texture and then paint the remaining areas? I know that where a wood strip goes in another direction you'd have to use a "variation" to draw that area in.

rdaniell
August 14th, 2013, 07:46
RD do you "draw" each texture on, or do you use the eyedropper to get the texture and then paint the remaining areas? I know that where a wood strip goes in another direction you'd have to use a "variation" to draw that area in.

I just use the "eyedropper" to get the texture. I don't draw any lines. If you'll notice, the first screen shot shows the "box." The second shows the "bucket" painting of the top. And then the rest of the deck. I get a lot of my "textures" from simply googleing for images of things. I also use the resource you sent me. I also experiment with the size of the texture using the edit tool to get the desire look.

RD

Francois
August 14th, 2013, 09:06
In Sketchup you can apply the same texture to various sides and use the 'position' command to stretch, skew, move and TURN the applied textures. Just right-click on the model, choose 'Texture' and 'Position'. That way you can reduce the number of 'different' textures on your model. :kilroy:

rdaniell
August 14th, 2013, 09:10
In Sketchup you can apply the same texture to various sides and use the 'position' command to stretch, skew, move and TURN the applied textures. Just right-click on the model, choose 'Texture' and 'Position'. That way you can reduce the number of 'different' textures on your model. :kilroy:

I didn't know about that function. There's still way more about SketchUp that I don't know than what I do know. Will have to give it a try. Thanks....

RD

falcon409
August 14th, 2013, 09:13
Yep, for areas that are easy to get to. . .that works.

OleBoy
August 14th, 2013, 10:21
A hiccup I found was at times when using the same texture in a "rotate" fashion, when the model was taken into MCX the same texture was at a different position than what I'd applied it as.
The SketchUp team must have fixed that bug. Looking nice RD!