PDA

View Full Version : Manfred's Douglas C-47 Reloaded (Beta)

Pages : [1] 2 3

TuFun
August 13th, 2013, 22:02
In the works by Manfred and team FSX Douglas C-47 Reloaded beta! Custom texture by Gordon "********" Madison based on Douglas DC3 Piedmont Airlines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Do5hrSDI0

YoYo
August 13th, 2013, 22:20
The new VC?

jankees
August 13th, 2013, 23:32
very nice, and that C-47 doesn't look half bad either...

FSX68
August 14th, 2013, 01:59
Wonder if this new "beta" will have a viewable cargo/passenger area?

stansdds
August 14th, 2013, 02:00
I see it will have the slow prop rotation during engine start! :applause:

stovall
August 14th, 2013, 06:53
The Manfred C-47 Reloaded Beta shows the best prop animation I have seen in many moons. Really looking forward to this beauty. Of course also can't wait for all the repaints that will adorn this classic.

Firekitten
August 14th, 2013, 07:07
So this is the old c 47 model with new anims, and the 'interim' modern vc and engine systems? Either way, cool :D

rdaniell
August 14th, 2013, 07:28
Is this "beta" available to all or just official "beta testers?"

RD

flaviossa
August 14th, 2013, 08:01
Very nice! Another question is if the "old" skins will work with this new model :ques:

TuFun
August 14th, 2013, 09:34
I will inquiry more info when Manfred returns from vacation. I received this beta a few days before he left and permission to preview it at SOH.

Wonder if this new "beta" will have a viewable cargo/passenger area?

As it set now, there is no cargo/passenger area.

So this is the old c 47 model with new anims, and the 'interim' modern vc and engine systems? Either way, cool :D

I don't have a lot of info, but I believe its revised FSX model and yes to the modern vc... same as the C-117D.

Is this "beta" available to all or just official "beta testers?"

RD

I will find out when Manfred returns from vacation.

Very nice! Another question is if the "old" skins will work with this new model :ques:

Good question, I will check with Gman.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will also inquire about a retro cockpit and cargo/passenger area as I'm interested in these too. TF

gman5250
August 14th, 2013, 10:57
Looks like TF answered most of the questions. I chose a civilian paint for the initial screens and vid...it just looked too good to pass up.

The model I am working with only has cargo interior. I don't know what Manfred has planned. I think this is still just a beta cockpit, but it is a very fine one to fly right now. I haven't done any texture work inside until I know what cockpit we will be working with.

The new paint kit will be PSD layered with separate layers of master rivets, panels, exterior "skin" i.e. aluminum, wear and grease, four layers of rivets including blurs and highlights, bump layers and alpha. The format will be 4096 x 2048, full length. I've enhanced the bumps for an aged skin as well. Check IGA Catalogue (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?iga/) and ALDI Catalogue (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?aldi/). There will be two bump sets, one relatively clean and average, the second more tired and aged with stress and damage.

Here are a few of the most current screens, I'm still tweaking this paint, but you will get the general idea. It definitely doesn't suck for a freebie...lol.

The blank skin shown here is early prelim without much wear or age. The kit will have a few variants i.e. military service finish, dull aluminum and polished. The kit will have the tools to take it anywhere you want.

TheGrunt
August 14th, 2013, 11:22
Gman, are you sure you didn't post accidentally photos of the real one? Wonderful work, absolutely stunning! :applause:

T6flyer
August 14th, 2013, 11:38
Looking forward to this, as seemed to have spent most of my Summer sat in the cockpit of a DC-3.

Cheers,

Martin

OleBoy
August 14th, 2013, 12:04
That thing looks bodacious Gman. Great work.
I've never liked the larger type aircraft, but this one I will have too, definitely.

Nice stuff Manfred.

jankees
August 14th, 2013, 12:10
mmmmmmm, I've got this itchy feeling in my fingers....

TuFun
August 14th, 2013, 12:22
Few more of G's Piedmont and looking at the textures sheets of other repaints of the previous model seems to work fine.

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/08/14/UH8QG.jpg

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/08/14/Zj5Y6.jpg

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/08/14/jTzEX.jpg

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/08/14/7jlZq.jpg

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/08/14/27eNa.jpg

flaviossa
August 14th, 2013, 12:26
Thanks for the research TuFun :salute:

Mach3DS
August 14th, 2013, 12:29
:applause:

Hanimichal
August 14th, 2013, 12:52

Roger
August 14th, 2013, 12:55
Wow, wow, wow and freeware. BTW did I say WOW?

TuFun
August 14th, 2013, 14:16
I thought I would show off Manfred's slow startup in this video. Also, create a nice startup effects (beta) with a pop in the exhaust. You really have hear it to notice, but it's there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MILlCHlplII

Roger
August 14th, 2013, 15:24
Never seen that before in FsX!

MudMarine
August 14th, 2013, 15:37

What they're thinking!!

Hanimichal
August 14th, 2013, 15:50
What they're thinking!!

With that impressive WOW! I think there minds stood blank

TARPSBird
August 14th, 2013, 23:30
Asian guys' face pic again! For both the start-up effects and TuFun's paint jobs! :icon_lol:

Geomitrak
August 15th, 2013, 00:32
I thought I would show off Manfred's slow startup in this video. Also, create a nice startup effects (beta) with a pop in the exhaust. You really have hear it to notice, but it's there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MILlCHlplII

Tufun, does the starting sound kick in just a second or so after the prop starts to turn ? I might be imagining it, but if so, can it be tweaked ?

EDIT: Also, is that FTX England you are using ? If so, ACG's Duxford can be made to blend in far better by going to Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\ACG IWM Duxford FSX\scenery and removing files Duxford1.bgl to Duxford8.bgl ( 8 files in total ). It works in winter too...not perfect, and there is a slight elevation issue in the south east of the airfield, but it does look far more natural.

huub vink
August 15th, 2013, 00:51
Thanks for the nice videos screenshots and provided information.

Gman, when I look at the texture size I understand the lay-out has changed due to which the old textures can't be used any more.

Is the lay-out still similar to the old version, but are the fuselage textures now (only) merged?

Thanks for the reply,
Huub

gman5250
August 15th, 2013, 01:08
Thanks for the nice videos screenshots and provided information.

Gman, when I look at the texture size I understand the lay-out has changed due to which the old textures can't be used any more.

Is the lay-out still similar to the old version, but are the fuselage textures now (only) merged?

Thanks for the reply,
Huub

The work files in the sim will be 2048 x 2048. The paint file is the 4096 x 2048 and covers the entire aircraft. This way you can do all the work on one file...much easier when working with stripes and lettering. Then save front and rear tiles at 2048 square into their respective work files. There is a template for that in the paint file.

TuFun has already tested the older files with the new model and the files worked fine for him.

Here's a couple of shots of another WIP. This one is more appropriate to the C-47 military, and shows better as a working aircraft. I've still got most of the weathering to do, but it's good for a teaser.

stansdds
August 15th, 2013, 02:00
That is probably the closest to perfect animation for starting a big radial as we will ever see in FSX. :applause:

huub vink
August 15th, 2013, 04:31
Thanks for your prompt answer and for putting both fuselage halfs in one texture (great idea and indeed much easier).

The Search and Rescue livery looks stunning as well! Geat weathering so far and again really something to look forward to!

I hardly flew a DC-3/C-47 before Manfred released his "now old" C47 (Too many engines confuse me :icon_lol:). Now it is one of my favourite aircraft. Unbelievable this one will even be better!

Cheers,
Huub

gman5250
August 15th, 2013, 18:04
I get on these kicks where I fly tubes, just to keep the math and procedures tuned up. My favorites are the old radial birds. I've got quite a few C-47, DC3 payware types that I fly fairly regular. The thing I like about Manfred's C-117/C-47 is the fact that I don't have to paint half a dozen tiles to get a really nice skin. It's a one shot deal and the flying model is as good as anything I've got.

If Manfred opts for a high end VC...it's a pure winner.

I'm not sure what skins he wants for the re-release, so I'm improvising as I develop the paint kit. Here's some update shots of the AF Search and Rescue circa '47 with weathering and new (again) bump maps. I opted to add the propeller warnings etc. even though the source art didn't show it.

TuFun
August 15th, 2013, 19:16
Tufun, does the starting sound kick in just a second or so after the prop starts to turn ? I might be imagining it, but if so, can it be tweaked ?

I went ahead and looked at the starter file and found that was indeed a delay in the beginning with no sound. So what I did is grabbed the starter sound from this video and edit for FSX. My first sound edit... always wanted to do some custom sounds!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7m8wzJJ6sI

Now #2 engine has the original sound, #1 engine has the custom sound edit. Also, been working on the smoke effects, now with black initial smoke trailing from the pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz5FEZj2Qlw

EDIT: Also, is that FTX England you are using ? If so, ACG's Duxford can be made to blend in far better by going to Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\ACG IWM Duxford FSX\scenery and removing files Duxford1.bgl to Duxford8.bgl ( 8 files in total ). It works in winter too...not perfect, and there is a slight elevation issue in the south east of the airfield, but it does look far more natural.

No Orbx scenery in my FSX. Maybe later, but using it for testing purpose at the moment. ACG Duxford is the only addon scenery loaded at this time.

TuFun
August 15th, 2013, 20:49
I get on these kicks where I fly tubes, just to keep the math and procedures tuned up. My favorites are the old radial birds. I've got quite a few C-47, DC3 payware types that I fly fairly regular. The thing I like about Manfred's C-117/C-47 is the fact that I don't have to paint half a dozen tiles to get a really nice skin. It's a one shot deal and the flying model is as good as anything I've got.

If Manfred opts for a high end VC...it's a pure winner.

I'm not sure what skins he wants for the re-release, so I'm improvising as I develop the paint kit. Here's some update shots of the AF Search and Rescue circa '47 with weathering and new (again) bump maps. I opted to add the propeller warnings etc. even though the source art didn't show it.

You sure this thing is airworthy??? ;);) Superb "G"! :salute:

EMatheson
August 15th, 2013, 20:50
seems like the spinners are a little wobbly?

Man, I wish I could get this in FS9... this really makes me wish I had the funds to get FSX looking and running nicely.

TuFun
August 15th, 2013, 20:51
Another skin I thought I would checkout on the reloaded model.

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/08/15/4wJnA.jpg

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/08/15/Dmr51.jpg

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/08/15/XFtCq.jpg

TuFun
August 15th, 2013, 21:13
seems like the spinners are a little wobbly?

I saw that... no biggie... fixed! (ball-peen hammer);)

Bruce Thompson
August 15th, 2013, 23:52
I saw that... no biggie... fixed! (ball-peen hammer);)

Ha! Manchester Screwdriver, works every time,:icon_lol:.

That start up is absolute magic, thanks to you and Gman for all the hard work you are putting into this aircraft.

Manfred did a fantastic job producing both the C47 and the C117, they are both a great gift to the FSX community,
I think this Reloaded version will be the best freeware aircraft of 2013 without a doubt.

stansdds
August 16th, 2013, 00:52
I went ahead and looked at the starter file and found that was indeed a delay in the beginning with no sound. So what I did is grabbed the starter sound from this video and edit for FSX. My first sound edit... always wanted to do some custom sounds!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7m8wzJJ6sI

That hum sound is likely the electric fuel boost pump being activated. Here is a nice video clip of a C-47 having the engines primed and started. Starting procedures today differ from what is printed in most 1940's and 50's operating handbooks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvGBQvczUnQ

stiz
August 16th, 2013, 01:35
anyone know if its going to have a 30s/40s vintage VC ? be a crying shame if it didnt :engel016:

thunder100
August 16th, 2013, 03:11
Obvious semi stupid question

Where can i get the C-47 Piedmont repaint?

thanks for an Info

Roland

Navy Chief
August 16th, 2013, 03:19
Ipad wouldn't let me post a picture.....:(

FSX US Navy Chuting Stars Douglas C-117D
Name: c-117d_50762.zip
Size: 5,486,366 Date: 08-15-2013 Downloads: 150

FSX US Navy Chuting Stars Douglas C-117D. This repaint repesents C-117D BuNo 50762 as she appeared while serving as the support aircraft for the volunteer parachute team formed in 1961. Textures only, you need to have the Manfred Jahn's C-117D (C117D_V1_BETA.ZIP). By Ed Olson, 8/14/2013.

gman5250
August 16th, 2013, 09:32
Obvious semi stupid question

Where can i get the C-47 Piedmont repaint?

thanks for an Info

Roland

The C-47 is a WIP at the moment. Manfred is on holiday for another week but will be back on the project upon his return. I'm developing the skins and paint kit at his request, but have had no direction regarding skins. For the release I'll provide basic skins as I did for the C-117, and a few paints. The Piedmont skin will certainly be available, and hopefully Manfred will release a DC-3 more appropriate for that skin. Regardless, the skin will be available here when the plane is released.

Stay tuned.

gman5250
August 16th, 2013, 09:35
anyone know if its going to have a 30s/40s vintage VC ? be a crying shame if it didnt :engel016:

I know Manfred mentioned that the current cockpit is "beta".
I would also hope for a vintage cockpit...we'll see what comes with the release. I had a look at the Lineas Aereas Canedo photos from their site and the existing beta is very close to that particular aircraft. With some attention to the graphics it could be made very appealing. Having both versions would be an excellent option.

TuFun
August 16th, 2013, 23:51
Gman fixed the spinner wobbly issue and I'm tinkering with the engine sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lswT6KMpJE0

jankees
August 17th, 2013, 02:18
that looks great, but why the black startuP smoke? I only see grey/white in the movies above?

Bushpounder
August 17th, 2013, 02:29
TuFun, you have nailed it! Those sounds are fantastic, as well as the smoke trail! Nice fix. I hope you are going to upload these. They are the best I have heard for a radial engine.

Don

thunder100
August 17th, 2013, 03:04
The C-47 is a WIP at the moment. Manfred is on holiday for another week but will be back on the project upon his return. I'm developing the skins and paint kit at his request, but have had no direction regarding skins. For the release I'll provide basic skins as I did for the C-117, and a few paints. The Piedmont skin will certainly be available, and hopefully Manfred will release a DC-3 more appropriate for that skin. Regardless, the skin will be available here when the plane is released.

Stay tuned.

Thanks

ON the VC

as it is an FSX native plane you can always swap VC's-->So if somebody does new HD textures for the default DC-3 that can be used as well

I use for the modern planes Manfred's from C-117 for medium old (payware) JustFlight PW version and for the reall yold ones the (payware) DC-2 X

Best regards

Roland

dougal
August 17th, 2013, 04:52
If folk are flying this, Is the beta actually available for download like the 117 is?

gman5250
August 17th, 2013, 05:42
If folk are flying this, Is the beta actually available for download like the 117 is?

The C-47 is not yet available for download, but will be available soon. Manfred will be re-releasing this upgrade when he returns from holiday. I'm flying it by permission while developing the paint kit and skins. Same for TF, at Manfred's request to make pre-release video.

dougal
August 17th, 2013, 05:52
The C-47 is not yet available for download, but will be available soon. Manfred will be re-releasing this upgrade when he returns from holiday. I'm flying it by permission while developing the paint kit and skins. Same for TF, at Manfred's request to make pre-release video.

wot a lucky chappie you are then;-)

gman5250
August 17th, 2013, 06:03
wot a lucky chappie you are then;-)

No worries...this will be worth the wait. I'm providing a top flight paint kit so watch out when the guys get their hands on this one, the skins will be excellent.

Side note, my new bump maps should work with Manfreds original C-47 as well, so all older skins will be upgradable.

stovall
August 17th, 2013, 06:16
********, don't know where Manfred is on vacation but could you possibly let him know there are a bunch of folks here that want to buy him a beer or ale :icon29::guinness: if would just come home. The Gooney Bird folks are all waiting in line impatiently. No doubt it is worth the wait. That is what makes it so hard.

gman5250
August 17th, 2013, 06:31
********, don't know where Manfred is on vacation but could you possibly let him know there are a bunch of folks here that want to buy him a beer or ale :icon29::guinness: if would just come home. The Gooney Bird folks are all waiting in line impatiently. No doubt it is worth the wait. That is what makes it so hard.

I'll tell ya, I recently acquired one or two really nice pay ware aircraft that are sitting in the hangar right now. I'm always partial to a really good free ware, that's what brought me to this site, so this one has really gotten my attention. The good news is I'm way ahead of the game with the art, so there will be skins ready to fly when this releases.

I've emailed Manfred once or twice, but I think he went bush in Greece. I believe he is back this coming week.

Doumet57
August 17th, 2013, 08:15
Gentlemen, I must thank You for these videos and skins ! :salute:

With no doubt, this old lady will come back in my hangar, beside the French Noratlas. :jump:

Is Christmas earlier this year ? :icon_lol:

TuFun
August 17th, 2013, 10:44
TuFun, you have nailed it! Those sounds are fantastic, as well as the smoke trail! Nice fix. I hope you are going to upload these. They are the best I have heard for a radial engine.

Don

At the moment these are Gary Jones DC3 soundset that I'm modding. So far I have replaced the starter and startup sound files. I will post a new video of the new secondary startup sounds on #1 radial. I going to experiment with sound cones since FSX aircraft use them.

Initial startup smoke has been changed to white with puffs of smoke. I watch a lot of startup videos and it can be black or white, little smoke or lots of smoke. Just depends on how much fuel primed and how long the aircraft has been parked.

TuFun
August 17th, 2013, 10:52

At the moment there are some quirks that need to be ironed out by Manfred. He is enjoying a nice holiday in Greece. So, I expect a email anytime within a week+ upon his return.

glh
August 17th, 2013, 11:38
I like both the "Search And Rescue" and "Navy" skins. Superb work there.

Let Mr. Jahn enjoy his time off. He deserves it and we'll see this soon enough.

TuFun
August 17th, 2013, 11:43
Ok... some changes to the exhaust smoke, particular to the initial smoke and #1 radial has a different startup sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj2yrZ7vKxs

stovall
August 17th, 2013, 11:51
TuFun, I said it at the beginning of the thread and I say this again, "This is the best prop animation and sound set I have ever seen in FSX." Great work and things just keep getting better. Much appreciated.

beana51
August 17th, 2013, 12:19
Love those sounds.....A conglomeration ,of collective,clanking, cranking, spinning,banging,hot ,flaming,Smoking ,burning oil, gas leaking,collection of misshaping ,Iron ,tubes ,Pipes,valves Choking,Straining,Exploding...Equaled only by a 4-8-4 Locomotive!.. A living Thing!.And on the Sim,its becoming a reality...Great!...thanx for your work...Vin

HighGround22
August 17th, 2013, 12:21
Ok... some changes to the exhaust smoke, particular to the initial smoke and #1 radial has a different startup sounds.

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever"!

TuFun
August 17th, 2013, 15:05
Enjoying some flying with gman's bare metal beauty!

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/08/17/jJM5S.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jTtLnY5LFQ

stansdds
August 17th, 2013, 18:02
It's definitely getting there, I'd like the see the electric fuel boost pump whine sound be linked to the fuel pump switches.

Is that an open cockpit window I see near the end of the video?

TuFun
August 17th, 2013, 22:15
It's definitely getting there, I'd like the see the electric fuel boost pump whine sound be linked to the fuel pump switches.

Is that an open cockpit window I see near the end of the video?

Yep, open cockpit window on both the c-47 and C-117D! You can check it out on this video...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?80408-FSX-Douglas-C-117D-Skytrooper&p=829556&viewfull=1#post829556

stansdds
August 18th, 2013, 05:00
:applause::applause::applause:

TuFun
August 19th, 2013, 15:37
Here's a video of start-up effects for Manfred's C-47 and C-117D. Very early stages I might add (alpha). I'm not a sound engineer, nor how to use the three programs I uses effectively.
I just wanted to see if I could put together some sound effect that resembles these two different aircraft. Gary's DC3 soundset is excellent and for payware the Sonic Solutions DC3 75th Anniversary soundpack is another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-6z1eMGlks

Ian Warren
August 19th, 2013, 17:43
Very appropriate matching those sound files TuFun , this may have be 1986 but was just like yesterday , across the Cook Straight NZ .
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/07/10/XtCn.jpg
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Geomitrak
August 19th, 2013, 21:44
Tufun, a question. I'm not sure if its a result of being recorded on video, but the prop blade blur seems a little odd to my eyes. The prop turns over, looks great - it then catches and runs and for a second or two you see the normal blur - but after that it seems you can still see the actual shape of the propeller blades as they spin round. I can't describe it any better than that. Is that what you see ?

TuFun
August 19th, 2013, 21:58
Tufun, a question. I'm not sure if its a result of being recorded on video, but the prop blade blur seems a little odd to my eyes. The prop turns over, looks great - it then catches and runs and for a second or two you see the normal blur - but after that it seems you can still see the actual shape of the propeller blades as they spin round. I can't describe it any better than that. Is that what you see ?

I notices that also. The fanning of the blades disappears at a certain point. That is one of several issues with current beta. It's on my list to ask Manfred when he returns.

roger-wilco-66
August 19th, 2013, 22:07
Awesome development here. I really look forward to this!

Cheers,
Mark

gman5250
August 20th, 2013, 12:28
I notices that also. The fanning of the blades disappears at a certain point. That is one of several issues with current beta. It's on my list to ask Manfred when he returns.

That effect is RPM driven. I can tweak the propdisk file to be more transparent in specific parts like the blade. I can blur it more so that the blur effect is softer at cruise 22-27 K RPM. Stay tuned....

TuFun
August 20th, 2013, 16:56
New (alpha) startup sounds, including idle, rpm2, rmp3, and shutdown. Louder pops on the startup fx file.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnN_I6b1ZbE

modelr
August 20th, 2013, 17:59
That effect is RPM driven. I can tweak the propdisk file to be more transparent in specific parts like the blade. I can blur it more so that the blur effect is softer at cruise 22-27 K RPM. Stay tuned....

Remember that all prop blur that we see in these videos, and in the sim are what the CAMERA sees, NOT what the naked eye sees, which is nearly nothing once ignition occurs.

However, the effects & textures being created are fantastic.

stovall
August 20th, 2013, 18:20
TuFun, just when I think things can't get any better you come up with something even better. I will probably not be flying the Gooney Bird much but just starting and stopping the engines. Fantastic work. Come on Manfred, we are all awaiting your return.

Geomitrak
August 20th, 2013, 23:04
Remember that all prop blur that we see in these videos, and in the sim are what the CAMERA sees, NOT what the naked eye sees, which is nearly nothing once ignition occurs.

I don't think that applies in FSX does it ? Unlike real life, where you can often see prop blades spinning slowly due to the frame rate of the video, blurred prop discs in FSX are textures...or am I wrong ?

Anyway, I'm happy with Tufun's reply.

TARPSBird
August 21st, 2013, 00:36
TuFun, just when I think things can't get any better you come up with something even better. I will probably not be flying the Gooney Bird much but just starting and stopping the engines. Fantastic work. Come on Manfred, we are all awaiting your return.
For sure, those are great start-up effects. I hope the how-to of such realism can be applied, at least to some extent, on other aircraft besides the C-47. Especially the cranking and the slow blade turning before the engine turns over. Reminds me of cold afternoons at NAS Glenview, standing with a CO2 bottle while a P2V starts up. :icon_lol:

stansdds
August 21st, 2013, 02:08

I agree, in real life you generally cannot see the prop blades once the engine has started. What we see on video, pictures, and movies is the result of film speed and shutter speed.

TuFun, you latest effort at new DC-3 engine sounds is the best yet! :applause:

TuFun
August 21st, 2013, 20:07
Some work on the smoke effects, plus backfire flame added. You'll have to look real close... happens real fast! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AunwJ6icpRw

The backfire pop is off, but has been corrected in the second part of the video. Shutdown still needs some tweaking.

stansdds
August 22nd, 2013, 02:09
Looks good, but the single, loud "pop" makes me think Coffman cartridge starter.

TARPSBird
August 22nd, 2013, 15:05
Looks good, but the single, loud "pop" makes me think Coffman cartridge starter.
I agree, the "pop" noise seems out of place on the DC-3 but it would work well in a F4F start-up sequence as the Coffman starter cartridge.

FSX68
August 22nd, 2013, 16:34
After listening to the video (again) I have to concur with others ^ the pop noise are out of place , I have been around a few DC-3s and I sure don't remember that hearing the"POP"
on startup. Sorry TED.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwYzAF9bZLI

TuFun
August 22nd, 2013, 16:43

I agree, the "pop" noise seems out of place on the DC-3 but it would work well in a F4F start-up sequence as the Coffman starter cartridge.

This process is constantly evolving at many levels (smoke,sound,textures) as I have no experience in doing this sort of thing. I'm trying to recreate the backfire pop with flames that happened on one of the C-47's. I thought it was cool to add a little extra to the project. The latest pop is more subdued and will create a new flame texture just for this model.

All in all it's something I always wanted to try! I tried texture artist... meh, so now I'm trying this. ;) Maybe a meh thing too, who knows.

The only other model I tried some effects on was the Milton's Howard 500.

I referring to this video and a few other I've seen of the DC3/C-47 backfire pop.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?81118-Manfred-s-Douglas-C-47-Reloaded-%28Beta%29&p=829088&viewfull=1#post829088

FSX68
August 22nd, 2013, 18:13
This process is constantly evolving at many levels (smoke,sound,textures) as I have no experience in doing this sort of thing. I'm trying to recreate the backfire pop with flames that happened on one of the C-47's. I thought it was cool to add a little extra to the project. The latest pop is more subdued and will create a new flame texture just for this model.

All in all it's something I always wanted to try! I tried texture artist... meh, so now I'm trying this. ;) Maybe a meh thing too, who knows.

The only other model I tried some effects on was the Milton's Howard 500.

I referring to this video and a few other I've seen of the DC3/C-47 backfire pop.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?81118-Manfred-s-Douglas-C-47-Reloaded-%28Beta%29&p=829088&viewfull=1#post829088

Hey Ted,

Why not record two bowls of Rice Krispys and pour some milk on 'em, ya know....snap, crackle and pop!! That would make terrific start up sounds. :icon_lol:

TuFun
August 22nd, 2013, 22:15
After listening to the video (again) I have to concur with others ^ the pop noise are out of place , I have been around a few DC-3s and I sure don't remember that hearing the"POP"
on startup. Sorry TED.

That was a great movie, Fairchild C-82...

http://www.c82packet.com/phoenix.html

TuFun
August 22nd, 2013, 22:17
Hey Ted,

Why not record two bowls of Rice Krispys and pour some milk on 'em, ya know....snap, crackle and pop!! That would make terrific start up sounds. :icon_lol:

Bubble wrap is the best... nice pops!!! :pop4: :icon_lol::icon_lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFYceP2hLCE

Bruce Thompson
August 22nd, 2013, 23:10

This is the best yet TuFun and yes they do backfire on startup occasionally when being cranked by the electric starter, I have seen it many times with these engines that have not been used for awhile.

Once started and warmed up though it would be very rare to see it backfire on startup again.

stansdds
August 23rd, 2013, 00:44

By far, this has been the best yet. Nice start up and a really smooth transition from the starter to startup to idle sounds. :applause:

TuFun
August 23rd, 2013, 03:24
This is the best yet TuFun and yes they do backfire on startup occasionally when being cranked by the electric starter, I have seen it many times with these engines that have not been used for awhile.

Once started and warmed up though it would be very rare to see it backfire on startup again.

I like to try every angle... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Novel idea, but I think I will leave it out for now. ;)

TuFun
August 23rd, 2013, 03:26
By far, this has been the best yet. Nice start up and a really smooth transition from the starter to startup to idle sounds. :applause:

That kinda worried me a little, transition between sounds.;)

FSX68
August 23rd, 2013, 03:27

That startup is off da chain!!!! Excellent!!!:applause::applause::applause::medals: :icon29::guinness:

jankees
August 23rd, 2013, 06:33
I reworked my C-117 NZNAC textures to something for the C-47:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7327.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7327.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7332.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7332.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7339.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7339.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7356.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7356.jpg.html)

TuFun
August 23rd, 2013, 07:54
Jan that looks great. And an NZ bird at that!!! :salute:

FSX68
August 23rd, 2013, 07:59
Jan that looks great. And an NZ bird at that!!! :salute:

I am a bit flummoxed here. Isn't this plane still A WIP and not released yet?
If so, then there must be a butt-ton of "Beta" testers out there. :isadizzy:

jankees
August 23rd, 2013, 08:44
welll....It has not been released yet, but Gman has made new external textures and a paintkit for it, which will also fit the old model. So I'm testing the paintkit here as it were..

stansdds
August 23rd, 2013, 09:14

Manfred's C-47 for FSX and FS9 has been available for a while, this beta version promises additional features.

Bjoern
August 23rd, 2013, 09:43
[FOTP-clip]

This is exactly how I feel every time I try start up Manfred's Super-3. :icon_lol:

"C'mon....c'mon - aww.
C'moooonn - aww.
Come ooooon - d'oh!
Cooooome oooon - meh.
COME-THE FRAK-ON! *Pop, sputter, crack, purr*"

gman5250
August 23rd, 2013, 10:32

TF and I are working with the new Beta version. I'm developing paint kits for the C-117 and C-47. JK is working with the paint kits. Manfred has been gone for about six weeks, but will be back on the project shortly.

TF is working on the sounds independently, but making video at Manfred's request.

I'm going to be starting a new pay ware scenery project and going into my black hole for a few months, so the skins will be coming from Jankees, Hanimichal and others.
My paint kits will be available through Manfred's freeware for anyone who wishes to do their own skins. My contribution has been in the base textures, metal skins and photo real base textures. :icon29:

That's about the extent of it.

IMHO, this is one of the finest freeware airplanes I have ever seen. If this is an indication of where FSX product development is going, I remain very optimistic.

Bjoern
August 23rd, 2013, 12:01
If this is an indication of where FSX product development is going, I remain very optimistic.

No! No, no, no, NO!

Please don't go down that road!

I don't know how much social isolation and converted sleep hours Manfred and team have invested into these models, but making them a new standard is putting all the guys off who can't invest as many hours and experience into their work.
These are outstanding models for sure, but they're *not* the new standard. No way, no how!

FSX68
August 23rd, 2013, 12:55
TF and I are working with the new Beta version. I'm developing paint kits for the C-117 and C-47. JK is working with the paint kits. Manfred has been gone for about six weeks, but will be back on the project shortly.

TF is working on the sounds independently, but making video at Manfred's request.

I'm going to be starting a new pay ware scenery project and going into my black hole for a few months, so the skins will be coming from Jankees, Hanimichal and others.
My paint kits will be available through Manfred's freeware for anyone who wishes to do their own skins. My contribution has been in the base textures, metal skins and photo real base textures. :icon29:

That's about the extent of it.

IMHO, this is one of the finest freeware airplanes I have ever seen. If this is an indication of where FSX product development is going, I remain very optimistic.

Well "G" man I guess you pretty much spelled it all out. Looking forward to the big release day! I sure appreciate all of you and the others involved efforts in making this another great success
for the FSX community. :icon29::medals:

gman5250
August 23rd, 2013, 17:02
I don't know how much social isolation and converted sleep hours Manfred and team have invested into these models....

Can't speak for the others....but I excel at social isolation. :icon_lol::icon_lol:

TuFun
August 23rd, 2013, 17:21
Can't speak for the others....but I excel at social isolation. :icon_lol::icon_lol:

That's when the magic begins! Slapping on paint, rumbling of radials, coughing up smoke... virtually that is! :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

jankees
August 23rd, 2013, 22:37

judging from your Dakota textures, I tend to agree with you there, and I have a bit of the same problem/advantage (still wip, this one):

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7361.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7361.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7368.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7368.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7386.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7386.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7400.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7400.jpg.html)

jankees
August 24th, 2013, 01:25
and another in the paintshed at the same time:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7406.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7406.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7408.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7408.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7407.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7407.jpg.html)

but you'll need to have patience, small trip coming up..

gman5250
August 24th, 2013, 09:34
judging from your Dakota textures, I tend to agree with you there...

Hey J, when I mentioned social isolation I was referring to my general personality and political opinions. lol

An addendum to my previous comments. I will be doing a few initial textures for Manfred's C-47 release, but then I'll be going off planet for a few months. Just thought I'd clear that up so as not to initiate widespread panic in the FSX community. (joking).

Bjoern
August 24th, 2013, 09:48
I'll be going off planet for a few months

Can I tag along?

Weightless flight simming. :D

Firekitten
August 24th, 2013, 09:52
As for the new standard of freeware... I'd say it is. There is a lot of seriously good work coming out free... and I tell you what, I know exactly how much time, effort and sleepless nights goes into it... its a long painful process, but in the end, worth it. You may soon see what I mean.

stansdds
August 24th, 2013, 10:37
Hey J, when I mentioned social isolation I was referring to my general personality and political opinions. lol

An addendum to my previous comments. I will be doing a few initial textures for Manfred's C-47 release, but then I'll be going off planet for a few months. Just thought I'd clear that up so as not to initiate widespread panic in the FSX community. (joking).

Don't let the Vogons get you!

FSX68
August 24th, 2013, 10:44
Don't let the Vogons get you!

You mean these dudes?

gman5250
August 24th, 2013, 11:02
"Oh freddled gruntbuggly,

Thy micturations are to me

As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.

Groop, I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes,

And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,

Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts

With my blurglecruncheon

see if I don't!"

TuFun
August 24th, 2013, 15:39
Make sure you bring a chute with you... you may need it later! :icon_lol::icon_lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akkM33JCmkU

EDIT: NOT IN THE FINAL PRODUCT

Geomitrak
August 24th, 2013, 16:35
Tufun, looking at that video, it seems the problem with seeing the propeller blade shape that I mentioned earlier in this thread has been sorted out. Is that the case ? It looks wonderful now !

Do you think that the white smoke persists a little longer than it should ?

TuFun
August 24th, 2013, 17:40
Tufun, looking at that video, it seems the problem with seeing the propeller blade shape that I mentioned earlier in this thread has been sorted out. Is that the case ? It looks wonderful now !

gman fix the textures on the props!

Do you think that the white smoke persists a little longer than it should ?

The video above is just to show a badly worn out radial. Just having some fun!

Check this one out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqs8o7mjBZ0

Obie311
August 24th, 2013, 20:24
What's the story on the Piedmont repaint? Is it available?

Being from the South, I'd like to have it for Manfred's C-47.

Thanks.
Obie

stansdds
August 25th, 2013, 04:38
It's a shame that FSX cannot properly model engine wear and automatically add backfires and increase the amount of oil smoke produced by well worn reciprocating engines. I suppose it is possible to create several different smoke and backfire effects and let the end user select what they like best.

Roger
August 25th, 2013, 05:26
Any idea when the updated aircraft will be released? I'm getting a strong urge to fly:engel016:

beana51
August 25th, 2013, 05:54
YAA! Roger ,Lets get this Going....For the longer the build up,the greater the scrutiny will be....This model now has an obligation to be the best ever...and it should be after all we Have heard and seen.The goal is set high here,so to our acceptance of it will be...Good men working hard to make it so...I trust they will bask in the glory of their super effort and the adulation of the Sim world..Who of course will thank them for this great Gift...I will not shave till it comes along..hope I do Not Look like Moses in the process.....Have Fun !...:icon_lol:

gman5250
August 25th, 2013, 06:03
Any idea when the updated aircraft will be released? I'm getting a strong urge to fly:engel016:

Manfred should be back from holiday in the next few days. I haven't heard from him since I began working on the skins, but I believe he intentionally went incommunicado. Keep a nest ready, this bird should be flying soon.

Obie, I'll post up the Piedmont skin, blank skins and paint kit when the plane is released. It will work on the C-47, but a DC-3 would be "awesomer".

gman5250
August 25th, 2013, 06:12
EDIT: NOT IN THE FINAL PRODUCT

Don't worry, I won't Bogart any skins. All my stuff will release with the new plane. Jankees is working on quite a few skins already using my beta paint kit. You gentlemen, and ladies...hi Firekitten, won't be disappointed. Re-painters beware, this product may become addictive.

HighGround22
August 25th, 2013, 07:35
. . . Re-painters beware, this product may become addictive.

No kiddin' !! It seems to beg for "lovingly worn", well-aged paint jobs!

You already have me spoiled for your "burnt-metal" engine treatment, GMan.

gman5250
August 25th, 2013, 07:49
...You already have me spoiled for your "burnt-metal" engine treatment, GMan.

Geez, thanks for that Jon...
Yeah, I was watching TF's worn engine vid and thought this model may require an animated oil buildup on the nacelles and adjacent wing sections. I stumbled across a B-24 cockpit/startup vid and the pilot was talking to his co about burning 7 gallons of oil. I know how these old girls loose their mud when in service...the oil build up feature has not been approached in FSX to my knowledge.

I think the perfect skins are beautiful, but wouldn't last past engine warm up in the real world.

Firekitten
August 25th, 2013, 08:45
. You gentlemen, and ladies...hi Firekitten, won't be disappointed. Re-painters beware, this product may become addictive.
I'm circling this one like a shark... never fear. When its available I shall pounce upon it like a tramp on chips.

gman5250
August 25th, 2013, 08:54
I'm circling this one like a shark... never fear. When its available I shall pounce upon it like a tramp on chips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3WwcsjWPIQ

FSX68
August 25th, 2013, 09:26
Don't worry, I won't Bogart any skins. All my stuff will release with the new plane. Jankees is working on quite a few skins already using my beta paint kit. You gentlemen, and ladies...hi Firekitten, won't be disappointed. Re-painters beware, this product may become addictive.

Which "Bogart" ya Mean? See link......

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?defid=988065&term=bogart

gman5250
August 25th, 2013, 09:41
Which "Bogart" ya Mean? See link......

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?defid=988065&term=bogart

lol...number 2:cool:

AAL1142 Kenny
August 26th, 2013, 16:27
Howdy All:wavey:

Would it be to much to ask for an American Airlines paint job ??

gman5250
August 27th, 2013, 07:52
Howdy All:wavey:

Would it be to much to ask for an American Airlines paint job ??

I felt AAL and Delta would be mandatory for a DC-3 version. I've got those on my list for sure. I can't speak for Manfred, so I don't know if there is a DC-3 in the offing, but I'll have the skins ready regardless.

I caught this video and was moved to new heights of artistic aspirations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0BJjLVHPD4#t=19

TuFun
August 27th, 2013, 08:49
I felt AAL and Delta would be mandatory for a DC-3 version. I've got those on my list for sure. I can't speak for Manfred, so I don't know if there is a DC-3 in the offing, but I'll have the skins ready regardless.

Would be nice to see a DC3 with short cowls with Wright nine cylinder radials and passenger doors.

FSX68
August 27th, 2013, 09:56

I caught this video and was moved to new heights of artistic aspirations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0BJjLVHPD4#t=19

From my research I find that:
The C-47 differed from the civilian DC-3 in numerous modifications that included being fitted with a cargo door and a strengthened floor
But to me they looked the same.

Check out the "Nuggets of info I found:

https://airfest.georgetown.org/douglas-r4d-skytrain/

The Army called it the C-47, the Navy and Marine Corps called it the R4D and the airlines operated it under the name DC-3.
I suppose one could split hairs here but I think they look the same and sound the same.

So the point I am trying to make here is: the C47 "revisited" version that we are all in a stew waiting for it's release could be used to fit AAL or other airlines that you have in the wings
(no pun intended) eh? No I'm not Canadian. Just a transplanted Yankee living in the South y'all.....:icon_lol:

FSX68
August 27th, 2013, 09:58
Would be nice to see a DC3 with short cowls with Wright nine cylinder radials and passenger doors.

Is/was there ever such a thing?

Edit:

I think there was/is

Powerplant: 2 × Wright R-1820 Cyclone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright_R-1820_Cyclone) 9-cyl. air-cooled radial piston engine, 1,100 hp (820 kW) each <<<<< Bingo!!
Powerplant: 2 × Pratt & Whitney R-1830-S1C3G Twin Wasp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_R-1830-S1C3G_Twin_Wasp) 14-cyl. air-cooled two row radial piston engine, 1,200 hp (890 kW) each

It sounds like the 9 Cyl was a little bit less powerful the the 14 Cyl. So which engine was most common in the the DC3?

gman5250
August 27th, 2013, 10:43
So the point I am trying to make here is: the C47 "revisited" version that we are all in a stew waiting for it's release could be used to fit AAL or other airlines that you have in the wings

No worries, I'll have the skins and you can put them where ever you want them....within reason. lol :cool:
Sleep well my friend as all of the most spectacular liveries are being contemplated by the likes of JanKees, Firekitten, Hanimichal and the quiet masses waiting patiently for the release of the Manfred Jahn C-47 and associated paint kit.

However, you will have to take full and complete responsibility and personal liability for placing a civilian skin on a C-47, because you know....(shark music) the rivet counters are out there. You KNOOOWW they are out there...lurking, salivating, waiting for some poor unsuspecting, well meaning Canadian/Southerner to pounce upon for having the audacity to put (peeking out from behind curtains) a Delta skin on an aircraft with the wrong number of cylinders, windows, doors or dare I say.....rivets.

Rivet counters...the above was a joke and in no way intended to insult rivet counters anywhere, living or dead.

All of that being said, I have a rule. If it looks good on your plane, on your computer, in your sim, at home, with the curtains drawn, after Midnight, then by all means Fly like the wind. (Rocky music). I believe that the first, original 13th amendment, previous to the abandoned version prohibiting "titles of nobility", addressed your unalienable (spelled correctly, usually pronounced incorrectly) right to put your skins wherever you so desire. I could be wrong on that one.

I don't think Prism has an algorithm to flag and tag deviant simmers...yet! Give them time, there are plenty of TARP and QE funds left to spend on valuable projects...oops sorry, lost control of myself there for a minute.

Edit: the above comments reinforce previous statements I have made about myself regarding my personality/opinions and associated, prolonged periods of social isolation or outright banishment.

FSX68
August 27th, 2013, 11:28
No worries, I'll have the skins and you can put them where ever you want them....within reason. lol :cool:
Sleep well my friend as all of the most spectacular liveries are being contemplated by the likes of JanKees, Firekitten, Hanimichal and the quiet masses waiting patiently for the release of the Manfred Jahn C-47 and associated paint kit.

However, you will have to take full and complete responsibility and personal liability for placing a civilian skin on a C-47, because you know....(shark music) the rivet counters are out there. You KNOOOWW they are out there...lurking, salivating, waiting for some poor unsuspecting, well meaning Canadian/Southerner to pounce upon for having the audacity to put (peeking out from behind curtains) a Delta skin on an aircraft with the wrong number of cylinders, windows, doors or dare I say.....rivets.

Rivet counters...the above was a joke and in no way intended to insult rivet counters anywhere, living or dead.

All of that being said, I have a rule. If it looks good on your plane, on your computer, in your sim, at home, with the curtains drawn, after Midnight, then by all means Fly like the wind. (Rocky music). I believe that the first, original 13th amendment, previous to the abandoned version prohibiting "titles of nobility", addressed your unalienable (spelled correctly, usually pronounced incorrectly) right to put your skins wherever you so desire. I could be wrong on that one.

I don't think Prism has an algorithm to flag and tag deviant simmers...yet! Give them time, there are plenty of TARP and QE funds left to spend on valuable projects...oops sorry, lost control of myself there for a minute.

Edit: the above comments reinforce previous statements I have made about myself regarding my personality/opinions and associated, prolonged periods of social isolation or outright banishment.

Cool Beans! 92456

TuFun
August 27th, 2013, 11:35
Not only the rivet counters, but the cockpit purists too...

As it is now with modern cockpit which I like!

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/08/27/ayDVl.jpg

FSX68
August 27th, 2013, 11:48
We need the gremlin from Twilight Zone "Terror at 20,000 feet" animation
on the wing. Maybe the gremlin ripping up some engine cowling panel for old time sake.
Can ya handle it "G" or Jankees? :-)

gman5250
August 27th, 2013, 11:48
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/08/27/ayDVl.jpg

Gosh....dunno Ted...
I was looking for something just the teeniest bit more Mauve....:barf:

TuFun
August 27th, 2013, 12:03
Gosh....dunno Ted...
I was looking for something just the teeniest bit more Mauve....:barf:

LOL! Just being sarcastic (rivet counters)!

jankees
August 27th, 2013, 12:36
I felt AAL and Delta would be mandatory for a DC-3 version. I've got those on my list for sure.

I was planning to do AA as well, but I'm happy to leave it to you, there are so many others one can paint.

After my recent visit to the Swedish Air Force Museum (http://www.flygvapenmuseum.se/Default.aspx?id=3&epslanguage=en) and their fascinating exhibit on the so-called Catalina affair (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalina_affair), I wanted to paint this as well:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/fsxq792.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/fsxq792.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/fsxq797.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/fsxq797.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/fsxq800.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/fsxq800.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/fsxq804.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/fsxq804.jpg.html)

gman5250
August 27th, 2013, 12:48
I've got a new project that's going to require all of my time for a few months J. I'll finish the MJ C-47 paint kit and a few product release skins, but you guys should take on all the really gorgeous paints.

AussieMan
August 27th, 2013, 14:28

I would love to see a Wrights powered DC-3. JF produced a "Wrights" powered DC-3 in their LOF package but they all have the large P&W cowls. A lot of the Australian regional airlines that used the DC-3 had Wrights powered aircraft. Ii would love to be able to paint an aircraft with the proper cowls for that airline. Airlines Of NSW is one that comes to mind.

While Manfred is at it maybe he can do a Viewmaster model as well powered by both types of power plants.

gman5250
August 27th, 2013, 15:32
I would love to see a Wrights powered DC-3.

With the traffic this thread and the C-117 have gotten, I would think that Manfred will be looking at many of the requests. I've got the JF planes too, but haven't painted a one of them. The beauty thing about the MJ model is that the paint file is the complete airplane on one large page, and it's a very good model to skin with the completed paints.

If the variants were released there would be an almost endless string of candidates. Would this mean that you would come out of retirement for this bird sir????

gman5250
August 27th, 2013, 21:05
WIP:
In response to the comments about the VC, I have added a worn panel to the VC. This is a rough, note that the pedestal, controls etc. are not weathered yet, only the panel...but you get the idea.

Ian Warren
August 28th, 2013, 00:25
Preparing for an updated cockpit sound package - Gman , Tufun and a JK paint , i finally re-installed Manfred's Dak ... this really has come along like a box of fluffy ducks .. it really dose look superb :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

mjahn
August 28th, 2013, 02:51
Hi everybody!

Back from hols I have just seen all the mouthwatering pics and vids in this and the C-117D thread. Many thanks to all involved. I will soon be in touch by PM or via this thread to discuss specifics. At this point I am compiling a Todo list with priorities marked. My basic impulse is to get a flyable version out asap even if it means cutting a fair amount of corners and releasing another Beta only. A bird in the hand etc. is what I always think.

This "reloaded" version has revised external cockpit windows and uses the startup procedures, Control Panel and lights system developed for the C-117. As you have seen in the pics, it is currently coupled to the C-117D VC, with hopefully a few inconsistencies and errors yet to be ironed out. Old repaint schemes should still work with just a few patches to be added on texture sheet _1. The reworked FD and xml codes together with the sound effects, bump textures, and paintkit presented here should really turn this into a fine and functional Skytrain.

Thanks again and watch this space.

Manfred

Mach3DS
August 28th, 2013, 04:47
gman, outstanding on the weathered panel.....this and the C-117D have really made their mark. Welcome back Manfred! Can hardly wait for them to be "in hand"! :)

gman5250
August 28th, 2013, 16:02
Hey there Manfred...welcome back. The troops are restless, so watch your self. lol

Update shots of the modern cockpit/w worn panels.
WIP, overhead and panel...day, lit cabin and flight lighting.

gman5250
August 28th, 2013, 19:00
WIP worn cockpit Manfred Jahn C-47 and C-117. Progress shots panel, overhead and console wear and tear...the old girl is coming into focus.

Sundog
August 28th, 2013, 19:10
That's great news Manfred. Thank you for all of your hard work. The C-117D has been a lot of fun to fly and this reloaded C-47 is certainly looking the part as well.

jankees
August 28th, 2013, 22:33
Looks good, G!
Welcome back, Manfred! I hope you like progress so far.
Just out of curiosity, were you planning to include a DC-3 in the new package as well?

Brian_Gladden
August 29th, 2013, 03:27
Not a real complaint mind you but why has the "Standard" "T" layout of the instruments been changed? By standard I mean top row, Airspeed, Horizon, Alt. Bottom row, Turn & Bank, Gyro (HSI) Vertical speed. I'm sure you guys have a reason, I was just curious.

jankees
August 29th, 2013, 08:10
No American, but I hope you'll like it anyway..

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7426.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7426.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7435.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7435.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7437.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7437.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7447.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7447.jpg.html)

TuFun
August 29th, 2013, 15:29
Preview of what I have so far... 3/4 of it finished. Getting harder to find the sounds I need. Did a custom high rpm smoke effects to go along with the startup effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhcI1yo3dRU

AAL1142 Kenny
August 29th, 2013, 15:53
What sound file are you using?

Portia911
August 29th, 2013, 17:23
No American, but I hope you'll like it anyway.

Much appreciated here, Jankees - thank you! :salute:

TuFun
August 29th, 2013, 17:24
What sound file are you using?

I used the sounds from this video, for startup, RPM's 1,2, & 3, and shutdown.

RPMs 4 & 5 and some default DC3 sounds are from Gary's DC3 soundset with his permission.

jankees
August 30th, 2013, 00:45
more work in progress:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7476.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7476.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7484.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7484.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7477.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7477.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7478.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7478.jpg.html)

Bjoern
August 30th, 2013, 04:10
It's fascinating that a freeware Dak gets more attention and exposure than one of its commercial counterparts...

Keep it up, guys!

Sylvanriv
August 30th, 2013, 04:26
If a freeware Dak gets more attention than a payware one, what does that say about the freeware one? :mixedsmi: :salute:

Mickey D
August 30th, 2013, 04:46
If a freeware Dak gets more attention than a payware one, what does that say about the freeware one? :mixedsmi: :salute:

What it says is:

1. Because it's freeware the developer can take as much time as he wants to create it as there is no profit to be made on his/her time.

2. Because of the above it should be excellence itself as there are no deadlines to meet.

But most importantly

3. IT'S FREE!!!!

mjahn
August 30th, 2013, 04:58
I guess we get this level of attention because it's become something of a freeware community project. Perhaps we can even get SOH admin to give us a subfolder ...

Re the rationale of the modern (Basler derivative) VC layout: I did it that way after looking at a cockpit picture of a Super 3 fitted with Garmins and tried to get close to the look and feel of that based on gauges at my disposal or to be created with little effort. No doubt there are better arrangements. Clearly a "prototypically correct" layout (as one poster puts it) and true 3D gauges would be much better, but also quite a workload. However, we'll see.

Meanwhile I have solved the RMI-out-of-whack issue that has been mentioned in these pages, and added two carb heat levers marked "C" on the pedestal.

Hopefully these and some more corrections, gman's paintkit, Tufun's revised sound pack, and sundry effects can all be bundled up and released soon. I really like what's being shown here.

Ian Warren
August 30th, 2013, 05:00
ITS FREE :icon_lol: I really don't hate that 'Air Atlantique' JK :cool:, Think the ole 'Bush Air Cargo' has been hanging around Homer J or maybe hes the cargo :icon_lol:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

T6flyer
August 30th, 2013, 05:06
I've got to take my Sim PC down to our flying Museum on Sunday for a few days, so will show this thread to two of our pilots who have over 6000 hours each on Dakotas. Will let you know if they have any thoughts or suggestions.

We are planning to set up a sim so that our visitors can actually find out what flying an aeroplane is all about after they have flown in our Rapides, Chipmunk, Prentice and soon Proctor, which all will be available (have had very kind permission from their builders). As we hope to restart DC-3 flights in the near future, this project will be superb for our project.

We look forward in reading of its progress.

Best wishes,

Martin Pengelly
GST- Classic Air Force
www.classicairforce.com

jankees
August 30th, 2013, 05:47
For me, it is just a very nice aircraft to paint, and G's paintkit makes it even easier.

Updates on the previous paints:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7500.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7500.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7501.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7501.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7503.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7503.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7524.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7524.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7519.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7519.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7533.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7533.jpg.html)

any comments?

jankees
August 30th, 2013, 06:29
my daughter laughed and said "why is that aircraft blue on top?"
sometimes being colorblind is a bit of a nuisance...

this better?
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7543.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7543.jpg.html)

T6flyer
August 30th, 2013, 06:30
For me, it is just a very nice aircraft to paint, and G's paintkit makes it even easier.

Updates on the previous paints:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7500.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7500.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7503.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7503.jpg.html)

any comments?

Superb as per usual. We would be interested to see perhaps some other Air Atlantique repaints as although the fleet is rather diminished we still have G-AMPY and ANAF.

Cheers,

Martin

robcap
August 30th, 2013, 10:24

this better?
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7543.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7543.jpg.html)

Super grappig Kees, ik vroeg me hetzelfde af ;-)
Looking good now, still wondering why there's white on top. Besides, I would say it's green(ish).....

R.

jankees
August 30th, 2013, 11:15
Super grappig Kees, ik vroeg me hetzelfde af ;-)
Looking good now, still wondering why there's white on top. Besides, I would say it's green(ish).....

R.

I think the white comes from its old military background, if you look really close, you'll see an old serial on the tail too, as well as the stars and bars underneath the wing.
green? probably moss and lichen..

edit: never showed the underside:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7549.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7549.jpg.html)

This aircraft is still airworthy btw, still looking like this, and I read somewhere that it is the only DC-3 allowed to operate on skis in Alaska.

HighGround22
August 30th, 2013, 13:00
more work in progress:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7476.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7476.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7484.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7484.jpg.html)

Oh, my-oh-my! Brings a big tear to this old Freight Hound's eye, JK!

Many, many thanks, Sir!

Geomitrak
August 30th, 2013, 13:06

Whoa ! All these great repaints you've been doing over the years, and you're colour blind ?!

jankees
August 30th, 2013, 13:16
Yep.

TuFun
August 30th, 2013, 13:43
Testing out the cockpit sounds in this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZNkax3uCJg

Marvin Carter
August 30th, 2013, 17:06
WOW!!!

FSN
August 30th, 2013, 18:28
Sounding great TuFun. If I could offer some advice it would be to try and treat both engine sounds all through the rpm ranges separately for each engine. I'm hearing alot of phasing which happens when you use the same sounds for both engines. You can hear it coming on strong at the 2:34 mark of your vid there. Phasing happens when two identical sounds are playing. The tell tale signs are that washy phasing sound and a big loss of low frequencies.

A few things you could try would be to change the pitch of all the rpms on one engine either through your FS sound editor if your using something like FS Sound Studio or to have another complete set of sounds for the other engine with a change in pitch for all the rpm ranges for that engine. Although it doubles the assets you'll be sure not to run into any phasing problems. Alot of developers still don't pay attention to phasing and most multi engine aircraft in flight sim suffer from it sadly. Also don't do what some devs do and use all stereo samples for inside and out. Stereo for the inside and mono for the out. Mono files will adhere to proper attenuation and spatial movement in the 3D soundscape. Lots of layers and use of 3D sound cones will really add to the experience and by keeping the audio of one engine to one side of the plane and not the other, the sounds of the engines won't mix into each other which is another trick for reducing phasing for the exterior.

You've got some great samples there to work with by the sounds of it and you're making great progress. I know as well as most who visit this thread the work that goes into something like this and it's very much appreciated. Don't forget to give your ears a rest once in a while too.

Great work again dude and looking forward to hearing and flying the finished plane.

TuFun
August 30th, 2013, 19:15
Sounding great TuFun. If I could offer some advice it would be to try and treat both engine sounds all through the rpm ranges separately for each engine. I'm hearing alot of phasing which happens when you use the same sounds for both engines. You can hear it coming on strong at the 2:34 mark of your vid there. Phasing happens when two identical sounds are playing. The tell tale signs are that washy phasing sound and a big loss of low frequencies.

A few things you could try would be to change the pitch of all the rpms on one engine either through your FS sound editor if your using something like FS Sound Studio or to have another complete set of sounds for the other engine with a change in pitch for all the rpm ranges for that engine. Although it doubles the assets you'll be sure not to run into any phasing problems. Alot of developers still don't pay attention to phasing and most multi engine aircraft in flight sim suffer from it sadly. Also don't do what some devs do and use all stereo samples for inside and out. Stereo for the inside and mono for the out. Mono files will adhere to proper attenuation and spatial movement in the 3D soundscape. Lots of layers and use of 3D sound cones will really add to the experience and by keeping the audio of one engine to one side of the plane and not the other, the sounds of the engines won't mix into each other which is another trick for reducing phasing for the exterior.

You've got some great samples there to work with by the sounds of it and you're making great progress. I know as well as most who visit this thread the work that goes into something like this and it's very much appreciated. Don't forget to give your ears a rest once in a while too.

Great work again dude and looking forward to hearing and flying the finished plane.

Yep, I hear it too, phasing. I read it somewhere. :icon_lol: All the sounds are mono. I knew I need to change one of the radials to a different pitch to offset the phasing problem. The program I'm using is Audacity and for the first time. At the moment I'm doing this and doing that to see what it does. The only sound experience I have is pushing buttons on my home theater. :icon_lol: Thought I would give it a shot! ;) This will be a one shot deal for me or two (Manfred's C-117D sound set).

The sound source was very good from that one video, no one talking, no aircraft running in the background, no wind, plus a runup and shutdown.

Thanks for the advice, I will make those changes. :salute:

jankees
August 30th, 2013, 23:58
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/jk13-0000.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/jk13-0000.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/jk13-0006.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/jk13-0006.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/jk13-0011.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/jk13-0011.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/jk13-0016.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/jk13-0016.jpg.html)

jankees
August 31st, 2013, 05:51
while we're on the subject of military C-47's, here's a funny one:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/jk13-0027.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/jk13-0027.jpg.html)

why funny? Well, just below the flag on the tail, there's a civil registration, PH-TBV. Apparently, the Dutch Air Force, before the received the own C-47's in 1950, borrowed one from the KLM in 1949, gave it a military paint, but kept the registration. I assume it later went back to the KLM, because in 1952, a former Belgian Air Force C-47 (ex-OT-CWC) joined the Dutch Air Force and in turn became X-2.
Anyway, one of the few bare metal C-47's with the Dutch Air Force as far as I know.

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/jk13-0029.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/jk13-0029.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/jk13-0041.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/jk13-0041.jpg.html)

olderndirt
August 31st, 2013, 16:47
Your "Bush Air Cargo" version has the color of copper corrosion on my screen but gotta assume it's the Alclad - a real paperwork generator from the FAA .

olderndirt
August 31st, 2013, 16:58
Great sounds but still counting the blades and hearing a muffled 12 gauge report ( neighbor three doors down) rather than the combustion sound of the first cylinder firing.

gman5250
August 31st, 2013, 17:13
I've listened to quite a few startup vids and I've heard the cold, too rich thud quite a few times. I think TF is trying to nail that sound of a choked cylinder stumbling on the fuel as it first fires. That's usually kind of a muffled report from the headers along with the accompanying cloud of smoke. The effect is improving and coming along nicely. A bit of EQ is all it needs now.

I using the beta sound files in the MJ C-47 I'm flying. Manfred is back and will be attacking this project with full force. The final project is coming into focus and I'm confident will be nicely "dialed in" when it goes public....stay tuned.

TuFun
August 31st, 2013, 21:39
Ok, did a few things mentioned by Vance. Next I will try changing the pitch on one of the radials and lower the volume on the starter and startup sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD_V7R0lcxc

Bill Kestell
September 1st, 2013, 20:31
******** ... just can't wait to get my mitts on that 1352nd AAF Base Unit beauty ... she'll be working out of Mohanbari on her first day! Thanks for that repaint. The 1352nd just doesn't get much exposure and as a dedicated Hump flyer, I really appreciate it!:salute:

ce_zeta
September 2nd, 2013, 02:42
Thanks to all the people who makes this aircraft possible. :applause:
Fly the Super DC-3 is a delight and this Skytrain looks superb.

stansdds
September 2nd, 2013, 05:09
I go away for a few days and so much progress happens! :applause:

fliger747
September 2nd, 2013, 08:26
Next to out office Cliff Everts has his operation still flying the DC6 and C46, get to hear them fire up all the time. Yes indeed a lot of coughs, farts and what have you. Not the same engines, R2800's, but most of the radials seem to have similar sounds, even down to a shakey Jake.

nice work! T

HighGround22
September 2nd, 2013, 11:43
I go away for a few days and so much progress happens! :applause:

See? There's a moral lesson to be learned from that! :icon_lol:

stansdds
September 2nd, 2013, 13:51
See? There's a moral lesson to be learned from that! :icon_lol:

I should just go away? :confused:

roger-wilco-66
September 3rd, 2013, 00:36
I should just go away? :confused:

No, we should go away. A watched pot never boils :-)

Cheers,
Mark

stansdds
September 3rd, 2013, 03:18
No, we should go away. A watched pot never boils :-)

Cheers,
Mark

True, but if you turn your back to the stove for a few seconds you might end up with a kitchen fire. :icon_eek:

Bjoern
September 3rd, 2013, 09:00
True, but if you turn your back to the stove for a few seconds you might end up with a kitchen fire. :icon_eek:

MARSHMELLOWS!

stansdds
September 3rd, 2013, 17:16
MARSHMELLOWS!

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

TuFun
September 3rd, 2013, 21:01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93yX6jOmGk

TARPSBird
September 3rd, 2013, 22:38
Swissair clip was outstanding. :applause: I like how the starter cranks through 8 blades over the top, then the engine turns over. The only value I know of to increase the cranking time is the "normalized_starter_torque=___" entry in the aircraft.cfg file, but if you set it too low the engine will cough but won't keep running. Does the sound.cfg file possibly have some control over the cranking?

Firekitten
September 3rd, 2013, 23:14
Are there actually going to be any paint schemes left before this is released?

Draenog
September 4th, 2013, 00:07
The latest vid is excellent, the takeoff sounds very real. You're doing a grand job 'T' "Don't let the B.....'s grind you down":icon_lol:

Gaz

kilo delta
September 4th, 2013, 02:35
Are there actually going to be any paint schemes left before this is released?

An Aer Lingus C-47 paint would be gratefully accepted.:icon_lol:

TuFun
September 4th, 2013, 03:29
Swissair clip was outstanding. :applause: I like how the starter cranks through 8 blades over the top, then the engine turns over. The only value I know of to increase the cranking time is the "normalized_starter_torque=___" entry in the aircraft.cfg file, but if you set it too low the engine will cough but won't keep running. Does the sound.cfg file possibly have some control over the cranking?

Actually the blades spin faster than what the video shows, my fps are low when recording. Plus if your battery is low, the radial will crank slowly until the battery is charged!

Firekitten
September 4th, 2013, 04:55
An Aer Lingus C-47 paint would be gratefully accepted.:icon_lol:
Its the only thing they haven't painted... damn, there we go... giving them ideas!

Manfred's teams do like to keep all artwork in-house... perhaps we'll spoil it with our sub par skill...

gman5250
September 4th, 2013, 05:26
Its the only thing they haven't painted... damn, there we go... giving them ideas!

Manfred's teams do like to keep all artwork in-house... perhaps we'll spoil it with our sub par skill...

I think the Swissair in TuFun's video is an old skin from the earlier release with the new generic alpha/spec/bump kit applied. Ted can clarify that.

After I finish the release skins, paint kits, rivet upgrades and tweaks on the bumps and specs, I'll be moving to scenery project for a while. Lots for you to paint Firekitten.

If we get a DC-3/C-47 package there will be plenty of candidates for paints. The paint kit(s) will give everyone a solid platform to work from. You have my guarantee on that one. Multiple layers, 3 alpha sets, specular layers, all details in separate layers, isolated rivet and panel sets...everything. PSD format for the C-47 and C-117.

I love seeing this old bird get such an enthusiastic reception.
I took advantage of the CS sale last week and there are four birds in the digital hangar that I haven't even touched. I'm flying the DAK almost exclusively during the development.

TF's sounds are really at full song now. If you have good sound you are really going to love this one. It is indeed awe inspiring.
Good one Ted.

FSN
September 4th, 2013, 05:32
Sounding great Tufun. For a dude whose never touched an audio editor before and taken on a project like this, you're doing a great job. I know you said this was a one time deal for you but I would encourage you to keep at it after this one was released. Awesome job dude!

FSX68
September 4th, 2013, 06:36
Sounding great Tufun. For a dude whose never touched an audio editor before and taken on a project like this, you're doing a great job. I know you said this was a one time deal for you but I would encourage you to keep at it after this one was released. Awesome job dude!

Well, DUDE, you outta know, you have quite a bio posted here I see. :icon_lol:

Party on DUDE!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR4y0KhdcNY

Firekitten
September 4th, 2013, 11:34
I think the Swissair in TuFun's video is an old skin from the earlier release with the new generic alpha/spec/bump kit applied. Ted can clarify that.

After I finish the release skins, paint kits, rivet upgrades and tweaks on the bumps and specs, I'll be moving to scenery project for a while. Lots for you to paint Firekitten.

If we get a DC-3/C-47 package there will be plenty of candidates for paints. The paint kit(s) will give everyone a solid platform to work from. You have my guarantee on that one. Multiple layers, 3 alpha sets, specular layers, all details in separate layers, isolated rivet and panel sets...everything. PSD format for the C-47 and C-117.

I love seeing this old bird get such an enthusiastic reception.
I took advantage of the CS sale last week and there are four birds in the digital hangar that I haven't even touched. I'm flying the DAK almost exclusively during the development.

TF's sounds are really at full song now. If you have good sound you are really going to love this one. It is indeed awe inspiring.
Good one Ted.

I'm not bothered about the paint kit, I don't need them to work, I'm just a bit peeved that as per usual with a MJ project, all the good stuff is taken before anyone gets a chance to get near it... like the Basler... Every decent paint scheme was finished and released before the paint kit came out. I just fear that happening with this too... Nevermind, ignore me, I'm just irritable at the moment. You're doing great work, just don't forget the rest of us.

gman5250
September 4th, 2013, 12:30
...I'm just irritable at the moment. You're doing great work, just don't forget the rest of us.

Irritable...I'm still grumbling from my weekend. Had to take everything out...and I mean everything and start from scratch. FSX, REX, ORBX, Accufeel, EZdok, FS recorder and a gozillion little bits that one only realizes they are missing when they need it. I had to trash everything because I didn't know where my glitch was hiding. Had to chase down all my older passcodes, subscriptions....lad de dah de dah.

I didn't lose any of my work, I keep that stuff isolated like it's the holy grail. Good news is the system is sorted out and ready to work on these projects.

No worries, I won't forget you or anyone else Firekitten.

TuFun
September 4th, 2013, 12:47

Well the way people act around here... this will be my only public release! Anything else I'm working on is private. I've got some really good soundsets in development.

Surprising how powerful that little program really is (Audacity). I tried every effects just to see what it can do.

Thanks Vance for the acknowledgment! -TuFun

Some sound tests of two different radials on the same bird. I do like to experiment! Same with smoke effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrfGvlvVb4g

Bill Kestell
September 4th, 2013, 14:23
Thanks ... and it was nice seeing her in something other than a screen shot!:salute:

stansdds
September 4th, 2013, 16:11
TuFun, it's looking good! It's sounding good! Now I just need the smells of Avgas and burning motor oil. :jump:

Seriously, the Swiss video features the best DC-3 sounds I've heard from FSX. Well done. :applause:

Firekitten
September 4th, 2013, 16:41
Irritable...I'm still grumbling from my weekend. Had to take everything out...and I mean everything and start from scratch. FSX, REX, ORBX, Accufeel, EZdok, FS recorder and a gozillion little bits that one only realizes they are missing when they need it. I had to trash everything because I didn't know where my glitch was hiding. Had to chase down all my older passcodes, subscriptions....lad de dah de dah.

I didn't lose any of my work, I keep that stuff isolated like it's the holy grail. Good news is the system is sorted out and ready to work on these projects.

No worries, I won't forget you or anyone else Firekitten.
Network Area Storage... a developer's lifeline :D
(I sympathise, I need to format my machine soon... im delaying the pain... )

TuFun
September 4th, 2013, 20:51
Thanks ... and it was nice seeing her in something other than a screen shot!:salute:

TuFun, it's looking good! It's sounding good! Now I just need the smells of Avgas and burning motor oil. :jump:

Seriously, the Swiss video features the best DC-3 sounds I've heard from FSX. Well done. :applause:

Thanks guys!

TuFun
September 5th, 2013, 02:30
Looking at some favorite previous FSX version repaints on the Reloaded version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxrRDxAxRoc

KLM DC3!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZsglu3ZVno

I hope you enjoyed some of the videos and what to expect when Manfred release this beauty!

phantomx1
September 5th, 2013, 10:06
Nice work on those engine sounds and delayed start-ups, and the smoking!

Geomitrak
September 5th, 2013, 10:40
This C-47 really is something special. The prop animations and start-up sounds steal the show at present, but the whole package will be terrific, no doubt about it.

HighGround22
September 5th, 2013, 13:32

I'll echo Stan's comments: That SwissAir sound pack is absolutely rara avis, first-class!

TuFun
September 5th, 2013, 19:15
Cruising down the flight line checking out Jan's repaints!

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/09/05/YqRjH.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEtZxAvcN74

heywooood
September 5th, 2013, 20:17
Well the way people act around here... this will be my only public release! Anything else I'm working on is private.

not up on this remark - what was said to cause it?

AussieMan
September 5th, 2013, 21:20
not up on this remark - what was said to cause it?

I am wondering the same thing because as far as I can see all responses in this thread have been very positive. Even the engine start sequence is correct with the right engine being started before the left one. Also the DC-3 is one of my favourite aircraft althought there are so many window variations it is impossiblew to probably do them all.

I followed Ted's Howard 500 project with great interest also.

jankees
September 6th, 2013, 01:28
ha, I'm back behind my computer, so back to the Gooney Bird..
The French aircraft had the wrong squadron colors (I used red instead of green, I wonder why?), so that has now been corrected ( I hope anyway):
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7558.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7558.jpg.html)

and while I was working on this French paint, I thought I might as well do another:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7561.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7561.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7564.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7564.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7569.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7569.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7571.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7571.jpg.html)

Bjoern
September 6th, 2013, 04:31
Well the way people act around here... this will be my only public release! Anything else I'm working on is private.

Aww.

Will you at least consider Google Drive or similar for storage and accidentially post a link here?

Geomitrak
September 6th, 2013, 07:38
ha, I'm back behind my computer, so back to the Gooney Bird..
The French aircraft had the wrong squadron colors (I used red instead of green, I wonder why?), so that has now been corrected ( I hope anyway):
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7558.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7558.jpg.html)

Jankees, do you know which squadron this aircraft was with ? I'd like a repaint of one of the C-47s used by the French to supply the garrison at Dien Bien Phu in 1953/54 and this looks very much like one. I have a photo of a C-47 loading up with paratroopers, and where you have a D on the tail fin, the one in the photo has an S, in a coloured circle as above. The serial number on the tail is 348566. Were they from the same unit, maybe ?

Sorry, I know loads about the ground battle there, but have yet to read up on the air side of things in any detail. Any info would be gratefully received

jankees
September 6th, 2013, 08:41
Sure I do, this one flew with GT 3/62 'Sahara'. I believe this squadron is nowadays called 'Vercors'.
As for a C-47 348566, I had a look, but all I could find on it was that it flew with the RAF as KJ882. Maybe the RAF later sold it to the French?
I have not been able to find anything on it during its time with the French Air Force, maybe you can post the picture? The French used almost all the C-47's they had at Dien Bien Phu, from several different squadrons. If your pic is in colour, maybe you can find out from the squadron colour (nose and circle on tail) to which squadron it was assigned? Otherwise the squadron badge on the nose, if that is visible?
My paint also shows the squadron code (62-XX), but I don't think they had those codes painted on in Vietnam.
Some of the aircraft used at Dien Bien Phu were painted black on the underside, I am still thinking of doing one of those..

Geomitrak
September 6th, 2013, 10:20
Jan, this is the only photograph in the series that shows any markings other than the French roundels. Not much help is it.

http://i.imgur.com/BFyKLYg.jpg

jankees
September 6th, 2013, 12:15
no, not really, though, are those the remains of a British roundel I see on the door?
I have found other pics from a (the same?) Life publication:
http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/2574/2aa946c46c7e0eea_large.jpg

the above aircraft flew with GT 2/62 Franche-Comté, with a yellow nose, and a black circle on the tail with yellow letters. That could be applicable to the aircraft in your pic too.....?

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/2574/945a8f7dc3a715f1_large.jpg

and here, if only those squadron badges were recognizable..do we see a lion..? But light noses, so probably yellow.

I forgot to mention that 4 C-47 squadrons were involved in Dien Bien Phu:
GT 2/62 Franche-Comté (yellow noses), 2/63 'Senegal (green), 1/64 Béarn (red) & 2/64 Anjou (blue)

Geomitrak
September 6th, 2013, 21:32
no, not really, though, are those the remains of a British roundel I see on the door?

If you look very closely between the hinges for the rear door, you can see a similar horizontal discolouration which maybe indicates it was the circle and bar of the American national insignia. It shows up more if you take the photo and alter the contrast.

Thanks for the info on the C-47 squadrons at the time of DBP. Yes, your photos look to be from the same Life magazine article as those I have. I have a number of them, showing them loading up and in the air, but none that give more details on the aircraft themselves. Keep those paints coming, Jan.

gman5250
September 6th, 2013, 22:00
I spent four days repairing and re-loading the system. Now that my water displays correctly again, I worked on refining some water mask techniques today. This is O57 Bryant at Bridgeport, CA...one of my test bed airports. High def photo real with new mask technique applied. I thought it would be a good opportunity to show the updated MJ C-47 work.

FSX can provide some pretty inspiring vistas....

TARPSBird
September 6th, 2013, 22:05
If you look very closely between the hinges for the rear door, you can see a similar horizontal discolouration which maybe indicates it was the circle and bar of the American national insignia. It shows up more if you take the photo and alter the contrast.

I agree with you about the trace of star-and-bar insignia on the door. The RAF returned some of their Dakotas to the USAAF after the war, that plane could be one of them.

jankees
September 7th, 2013, 03:57
let's head for Africa:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7618.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7618.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7621.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7621.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7629.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7629.jpg.html)

Sundog
September 7th, 2013, 11:44
Nice previews everyone. WTG GMan on getting FSX back up and running.

monk1
September 7th, 2013, 12:36
Fantastic looking paints. Sure looking forward to this model.

I found this pic posted at Calclassics. I think it was for Manfred's original. Anyone know if it will work with the reloaded version?

Firekitten
September 7th, 2013, 15:33
Addon scenery and watermasks as he said...

ShawnG
September 7th, 2013, 17:05
hey just one question if I might... Will this C-47 have it's own custom FDE or does it still use the default DC3 flight dynamics? if it just uses the default, are there any good freeware FDE's for the default DC3 available?

gman5250
September 7th, 2013, 17:27
excuuse me. I had failed to note his comments about fiddling around with the water. That explains why it's different although I would of thought I would of heard "G" man respond.

We have to get up pretty early in the AM to get one by you huh? :icon_lol:

no tengas miedo firekitten está aquí.

I was actually trying to make a quick video, but here's a couple of day shots of the water. If I can get W7 to cooperate long enough I may be able to provide a brief vid. Put one over on Firekitten..? I doubt it...lol.

The background surround scenery is Blue Sky. When I do custom PR, I download/capture a higher res than you can get from Blue Sky and lay it over the top as a separate local scenery. Here I've done the lake and valley area in high def...about 40 square miles.
Blend mask at the borders of the high def PR and it's all seamless. There is no autogen in this location yet, just the sat photo real and the layered high def water masks.

Oh yeah...this skin will be in the MJ release....

FSX68
September 7th, 2013, 17:30
I was actually trying to make a quick video, but here's a couple of day shots of the water. If I can get W7 to cooperate long enough I may be able to provide a brief vid. Put one over on Firekitten..? I doubt it...lol.

Oh yeah...this skin will be in the release....

Thanks G man for the info. :icon_lol:

Roger
September 7th, 2013, 17:36
Thanks for reminding me that:

Best thing for me to do is just use the PM as P in "private" for questions, that way the responses come from person I asked the question.

I do not want to do this too often... "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!"

gman5250
September 7th, 2013, 17:39
hey just one question if I might... Will this C-47 have it's own custom FDE or does it still use the default DC3 flight dynamics? if it just uses the default, are there any good freeware FDE's for the default DC3 available?

This is a custom FDE, and quite a good one too. The startup effects are much more advanced than the stock FSX DC3 obviously. MJ will have more info available with the release.

FSX68
September 7th, 2013, 18:27
I do not want to do this too often... "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!"

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa — (in the ablative case)

stansdds
September 8th, 2013, 05:50
This is a custom FDE, and quite a good one too. The startup effects are much more advanced than the stock FSX DC3 obviously. MJ will have more info available with the release.

:applause::applause::applause::applause:

ShawnG
September 8th, 2013, 07:17

Thanks! that was the one thing that kept me from flying the previous version. I think I had downloaded an FDE somewhere that was a lot better, but I don't seem to have it anymore, and can't remember where I found it. default dc3 rolls and wallows far too much for my taste (and I don't have any real experience, but I can't imagine that it is realistic) looking forward to this one quite a bit!

jankees
September 8th, 2013, 12:26
last one for this weekend, still wip unfortunately... this one is actually parked really close to where I live, in the Belgian Aviation Museum here in Brussels.

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7718.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7718.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7723.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7723.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7724.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7724.jpg.html)

TuFun
September 8th, 2013, 13:17
Some old, some new!

Gustavo La Cruz (O)

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/09/08/jkHR.jpg

(O)

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/09/08/WJR8Q.jpg

Jan Kees Blom (N)

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/09/08/cpkF2.jpg

Gman (N)

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/09/08/tLaMi.jpg

Gman (N)

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/09/08/mekE7.jpg

FSX68
September 8th, 2013, 13:31
Some old, some new!

Gustavo La Cruz (O)

(O)

Jan Kees Blom (N)

Gman (N)

Gman (N)

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/09/08/mekE7.jpg

I see you are back at it. How was the coast?

TuFun
September 8th, 2013, 13:45
I see you are back at it. How was the coast?

Beautiful weather... 70's, at home 100's!

FSN
September 8th, 2013, 17:51
Is it me or is the one of the most anticipated freeware products to come along in a while.

Bruce Thompson
September 8th, 2013, 19:33
Is it me or is the one of the most anticipated freeware products to come along in a while.

Yes I think it is, I even get up in the middle of the night to check for any news of it's release.:isadizzy:

AussieMan
September 8th, 2013, 20:44
More anticipated that some payware products.

gman5250
September 8th, 2013, 21:14
The DAK interior...looking more like a DAK interior. The original beta interior is a good start for an airliner, but the DAK needed a well worn interior. I've got the basic aging done...take a look.

AussieMan
September 8th, 2013, 23:31
The seats need cleaning mate :mixedsmi:.

Firekitten
September 9th, 2013, 00:05
Looks like the pilot's had a few tough landings... :pop4:

huub vink
September 9th, 2013, 01:25
Your new textures are really great gman! But again I hope Manfred will do a version with the old instruments as well.

Cheers,
Huub

huub vink
September 9th, 2013, 01:29
And the original one in the museum.....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/small_DSC07180_zpsa652497d.jpg~original (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Huub_Vink/media/small_DSC07180_zpsa652497d.jpg.html)

last one for this weekend, still wip unfortunately... this one is actually parked really close to where I live, in the Belgian Aviation Museum here in Brussels.

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7718.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7718.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7723.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7723.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/C-47/ss7724.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/C-47/ss7724.jpg.html)

dvj
September 9th, 2013, 08:19
This is going to be very special when released. The paints are amazing. :salute:

dvj
September 9th, 2013, 08:23
The DAK interior...looking more like a DAK interior. The original beta interior is a good start for an airliner, but the DAK needed a well worn interior. I've got the basic aging done...take a look.

Uggh! I don't want to sit in those seats.

gman5250
September 9th, 2013, 08:44
The seats need cleaning mate :mixedsmi:.

Now...how do I find a way to convey the smell avgas, oil and old upholstery???
No worries mate, there is a dispenser of Purell hand sanitizers on the bulkhead wall aft of the captain's seat.

gman5250
September 9th, 2013, 08:47
Looks like the pilot's had a few tough landings... :pop4:

The seats look like they have been through a few tree level, heavy weather, night flights with 10 crates of Columbian Bamm Bamm under the tarps in the rear.

:cool:

gman5250
September 9th, 2013, 08:54
Your new textures are really great gman! But again I hope Manfred will do a version with the old instruments as well.

Cheers,
Huub

I'm only investing a certain amount of time into this beta cockpit until I know the answer to that question too. If we get a period accurate panel, I'll give that one an appropriate level of TLC.