PDA

View Full Version : Changing my desk setup

Daveroo
August 12th, 2013, 15:50
ok...as i stated in another thread..i suffer from depression,have for a long time,it shows in some of my posts by the way i express myself i guess,but since im being open about it..i haven't used my FSX in a long time,like 3 years now,to actually fly,,i turn the program on..adjust thing,change settings,add scenery ect...but i don't fly.and one of the things is because i have the depression issues,as it was explained to me,i cant make myself take the time to connect my controllers and get everything setup and ready to go,because when i do,im then out of the mood to then fly..its been explained to me that with my depression problems,along with the ADD/ADHD,that even though i start out enthusiastic about something..once i have to get "setup" i lose interest..because i want to do the "act", i don't want to setup or take down.. ive done this with plastic model building..tanks/cars/planes...HO scale trains..artwork..ive sold artwork in the past..but i can't do any now because i can't be bothered to setup and then clean up when im done..so i wont even start.all that said..

my father bought me a couple early christmas gifts...so he says...lol..ill get a diecast out of him in december..you watch..but the first is an articulated arm for my monitor and keyboard/mouse,which will move it up and over my desk,which will ofcourse open my desktop so i cant mount my CH yoke and throttle(s) and leave them there and connected to the PC at all times so all i have to do is start FSX and go.we are also going to move the desk and nearby components so im sideways to the tv rather than having it behind me as it is now..while im in chat with friends or on SOH i have my tv on as a "mental" distraction,this way i will be able to swing the arm with the monitor and keyboard over closer to me,and i can look more towards the tv even...if that makes sense...i also got a "music stand" to hold my laptop ,i have a program called visulator map which runs on the laptop and shows my FSX plane in google earth.i will have that on the stand next to me.

now...who wants to volunteer to come help me and my folks move this heavy old oak desk???...hmmmmm?......:icon_eek:

b52bob
August 12th, 2013, 20:02
I too did the setup and twinky thing and never few much except to try my new settings out. To give some direction I started a program Around the World in 80 Flights that got me enjoying flying fsx again. Give yourself a job delivering cargo or passengers between airports or better yet start your own air service between some familiar cities in your area. It puts the fun back into flying. If you get tired in the middle of flying somewhere just save the flight and come back to it later.

Naismith
August 12th, 2013, 22:49
Yes it is all to easy to slip into the "tweaking" habit and not doing much else. As the previous poser says with the 80 flight thing, I found that to keep things fresh you have to set targets.
e.g. perfect specific flying skills or navigation.

or make note of major sporting or other events Nationally or Internationally and plan to virtually fly there. Once there especially when overseas, stay and make the effort to learn about foreign parts, at least until the next major event comes up then fly off there and repeat.

Right now I am doing a sort of occasional Round the World thing in a Carenado Baron with the intention of visiting every country in the world by landing in the capitol city and 1 or 2 other major cities of that country which look interesting. With big nations like USA, then every state capitol and at least one other airfield that looks appealing. It's been over 2 years and I'm currently in the Shetland Islands mulling over either going to Norway or continue south to Edinburgh. I use real Wx (Opus is great) and real time though if it is 2300 here I will adjust to 1100 locally if you get my drift. I try and keep the flights under 400 miles. I try and follow all the rules. If the Wx states IFR I research that and fly IFR, I have yet to cheat. :-)

Another thing I did a while back was, after reading The Cannibal Queen, recreating his flights in the book. There a dozens of pioneering flights that can be emulated at the desktop.

There are no limits to this thing really and really what good value it is. 2006 I think I paid $79CDN on the day of release.

Just my few thoughts.

Daveroo
August 13th, 2013, 07:27
that all sounds good..and to that point..the book "100 dollar hamburger" has always intrigued me.i also love "Diners,Drive inns and Dives" on food channel with Guy Fieri.i plan on being a very wealthy man in my lil make believe world ,like Mr Rogers,eh?..and ill start keeping a log,ill start at my home airport,and then fly to the town nearest to,or where a place that was on DDD,as if i was real world flying there for lunch,and then start there and go to the next stop.
also my folks best friends own a ranch at Cave junction Or,and the Illinois Valley airport is close to the ranch,,its the old Siskiyou smokejumper base...so the idea of transporting family and friends to the ranch would be fun,which is something Ed said to me a few years ago..he said are you planning on getting your private pilots lic still?..sure could use a plane to make getting folks in and out of the ranch faster....i drooled....

dandog
August 13th, 2013, 10:06
Daveroo, I know what you mean. With depression, sometimes just starting FSX is as far as I get. I poke around for a couple minutes and shut it back off. Go set up a flight and mentally disappear for a while. You should hopefully get immersed after a few minutes. I like to explore different areas on the planet. I believe that its a semi reasonable rendition of what is really there, regarding the terrain and bodies of water. Right now I am flying up the Mississippi from New Orleans to ?