PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to fly combat in CFS1!

Dogsbody1946
January 14th, 2009, 11:19
Brother Cyber Fighter pilots,~S~
I guess some of you will get a laugh out of this, but I don't care! I love CFS1! To me, the others are just attempts by Microsoft to make more money, but instead of improving on CFS1, they regressed instead. After flying on CFS1 for a few months, I wrote a very long letter to Microsoft with a few suggestions, as to how they could improve the game as far as realism goes. They were kind enough to say that my letter was one of the most interesting they had ever received, and to show their appreciation, sent me a COMPLIMENTARY COPY OF CFS2! I was truely grateful for this, because after I had loaded it into my computer, I was extremely disappointed. The planes didn't fly worth a darn, and I have seen more believable scenery in Daffy Duck Cartoons. I would have hated to have spent my hard earned Social Security on that load of garbage! Instead, I bought from Abacus, their excellent Add-Ons, Battle for Midway, and Pacific Theaster. The Abacus planes flew very well, and their scenery was excellent.
Then I lost touch with some friends that I used to fly with, and during this hiatus, what should come strolling out of the woodwork, but CFS3. I had high hopes of the game. I even thought that MS might have used some of the suggstions I had offered them in 2001! But no! "Lets get this out in time for Christmas, so we can get the public's money!" SOME of the graphics are quite good. 1940's London looks as it did when I was growing up there. Also, from my intimate knowledge I can navigate around London in both CFS1 & 3 from the air, and the main points of interests ARE where they are supposed to be. However, try as I might I cannot get rid of the opening movie, where that Idiot of a downed Fighter pilot wakes up in a deserted cabin, Lights a candle, and then, upon hearing the rumble of German armor, hides beside the window, WITHOUT BLOWING OUT THE CANDLE! He wouldn't have remained free for 30 seconds in realtime! Someone who programmed that scene, had been watching far too many episodes of,"Hogan's Heros!"
So my friend in Britain and I, are very much wanting to carry on with our friendly Dogfights IN CFS1!But how do we do it. We have tried exchanging IP numbers, pretending the Zone was still there, and found it didn't work! Whichever one of us hosted the game, could get in the Ready Room, but it was very lonely in there! So, IF, I can get my friend to join Sim-Outhouse. (I am sure he will, but he is having one or two problems with
his computer, and is concentrating on solving them first.) I was wondering if a fellow Fan of CFS1 would sort of guide us through the various actions that we have to do, before we can find BOTH ourselves in the sunny Skies of Southern England in 1940, doing our best to shoot the tar outa each other! (And anyone else who cared to join in of course. I am sure I can speak for Keith as well as myself, when I tell you all that we are, "Equal Opportunity
Killers!!!!!!!!!" However we prefer targets with black crosses on the wings &
fuselage! (I hope everyone will understand, when I tell you that in 1940 I lived in London! I was only a very little boy, but by the time the "Phony War," was over, I had reached a very impressionable age, and can quite vividly remember being absolutely TERRIFIED, on more than one occasion, when the, "Gentlemen of The Luftwaffe," bestowed gratuitous scrap-metal & High Explosive upon us from on high!) I now hold no animosity toward the Germans, They were young men fighting for their country, as our young men fought for ours! Now the Nazi's......Well that's a different matter, but very few German Fighter Pilots were Nazi's, or so I gather.
If there is a kind-hearted pilot out there who would be kind enough to show us how to get into the air, in CFS1, I know that Keith and I would be extremely grateful for the knowledge! Our respective e-mail addresses are:
Woyd_530839*********** (Woyd_530839@hotmail.com) (Myself.) and keith@*********(My Pal in the United Kingdom. Keith is on Zulu time, (Greenwich Mean Time.) and I am on Mountain Standard time, but NO daylight saving. (I'm in Arizona, and we dont do that kinda thing!)
Hope to hear from some of you guys real soon! ~S~
Dogsbody1946, aka: Johnnie Roper

smilo
January 14th, 2009, 12:20
greetings Sir,
as I recall, you posted a request for assistance here;
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=7080
I asked a few questions relevant to helping you get into a Multi-Player session, but there was no reply.
also, I have edited your above post and removed the email addresses. posting an email address is begging for a spam attack. if it turns out that you don't care, my apologies. please put them back if you wish.
I have no doubt that the AAC would love to have you and Keith join in on a Sunday Mission.

Dogsbody1946
January 14th, 2009, 15:12
Dear Sir, ~S~
I have always been a bit of a lone wolf, and am not sure that I would fit in with such a highly regimented Squadron as yours. Not that there is anyting wrong with what you are doing, it is just that I like to do things my way, and would not wish to cause any friction. For example, I was around when the Spifire and Hurricane were flying in Combat' When I later joined the RAF, at the unit I was stationed at, there were two Spitfire Mk IX's and a De Havilland Mosquito. They belonged to a civilian contractor, who used them for drogue towing so Royal Navy Gunners could practise their shooting in the Thames Estuary. (What a comedown for the Spitfire!) Anyway, we had several officers who still had flying status, and to continue to get their flying pay, they would sometimes, "Borrow," the two Mk Ix's and Dogfight over the unit.
So I have SEEN combat pilots, throw the Spitfire around when it was still youthful enough to be stressed in this way, and I KNOW that the "Stock" Spitfire in CFS1 is a pretty poor imitation of how the real thing could perform. For one thing, the real thing could roll faster. Not as fast as a modern jet that is being flown by a computer, but much faster than the Stock plane can roll. They could turn a lot tighter than the Stock plane can too. The automatic red-out or Black-out that cfs imposes upon a pilot in 100% realism, is also crazy. Squadron Leader Murphy, Hornchurch's S ad O, told me that after quite a short while, one learned to tense certain muscle groups, and this prevented the black/red outs. He told me that in one combat when an ME 109 was after his six, he turned so hard and tight, that he popped rivets in the Spitfire, but never lost any vision. When I was flying CFS1 in the early 2000's, there were a dedicated group on, "The Zone," who ONLY flew stock planes, and seemed to look with contempt at people who modified in any way the aircraft, to give them a more REALISTIC performance. I had an additional motive. I was on Dial-up, and lived in an area where the phone lines were laid down when Roosevelt was President. (I'm talking TEDDY here!) I HAD to tune my aircraft in sheer self defense! My friend in England, with over twice my internet speed was shooting me to Doll Rags every time we met in combat! These Stock flyers also always flew with the game set on "Easy!" I was hosting a game one day, and found that I was all alone. I figured that someone would join me in a short while, so flew around and round Hawkinge for fun. Sure enough, a young guy joined me. I turned toward him to shoot him down, and suddenly saw that this guy was performing one of the most spectacular aerobatic displays I had ever seen. I thought to myself, "This guy is GOOD! Be careful, or you're going to get your tail feathers shot off." Then a panicked message appeared in text on my monitor. "There's something wrong. My plane won't fly right!" It wasn't an aerobatic display at all. The poor guy was completely out of control! He had always flown, "Easy!" I always hosted my games on, "HARD!" I still chuckle about that! I christened these "Stock Flyers," "The Cult of Mediocrity!" I have a lot of aircraft in my CFS1 "Hangar," that have been modified to the point where they have the true performance that the real things did in the 1940's. Both in their ability to roll & turn, and in the effect of the firepower of their guns. During the Battle of Britain, the only German fighter opposing the British Spitfirees & Hurricanes was the "Emil." The ME 109 E. It had no armour plate, It had no self-sealing Gas Tanks. It was VERY vulnerable to the De Wilde ammunition that was used by the RAF. I have both video ,and written accounts by pilots in that conflict, and time and time again, a Spitfire of Hurricane pilot will record about how he barely got off a one second burst, and the effect on the German fighter was dramatic! Pieces would break off the German fighter, smoke would begin to billow out from under the engine cowling, and the plane would roll over, and then commence a verticle dive into either the English Channel, or the Kent Countryside! A polish Sgt.Pilot was in pursuit of a Dornier, the German jinked and temporarily lost him, the Sgt. turned the Hurricane so hard that he too popped rivets from the underside of the airframe. He came around on the Dorniers six, from slightly below, and cut loose with a TWO SECOND BURST! The effect was startling, for it cut the port engine completely out of the wing of the bomber, and it twisted and spun into a wooded copse, where it exploded!
Take a stock CFS Spitfire, and go into Quick Combat. After a while you will get on the six of an ME 109 E. However you'll hammer away at that sucker until almost your entire stock of ammo is gone, before the screen tells you, "You shot down ME 109." A few years ago I had a Lee Enfield Rifle in .303 British, and bought some 1943 ball military ammo! I tested it out on some steel plates, and that old ball ammo, would penetrate a three-eights steel plate like it wasn't there! Pity the Luftwaffe pilots in those un-armored 109's! The gas tank was sort of "L" shaped, and fitted snuggly behind and under the pilots seat. (Where for his peace of mind, it was best forgotten!) One round of De Wilde ammo in that baby, and the poor guy was (Literally!) toast!
I would like to fly against some of you guys in a private game, with you using your squadron aircraft, and me using a Hawker Hurricane that I have very carefully modified to do what the real thing was capable of in the Battle of Britain. I would be interested to see how close they are to one another in performance. I have been an amature Historian for years, and have collected a lot of information on WWII. PLUS I am lucky enough to have been the right age to talk to some of the pilots who survived the war, and flew fighters for the whole five and a half years!
You'll not only have to show me how to get onto CFS1 in the first place, but let me know a convenient time an date for the experiment!
Sincerely, Dogsbody1946 aka Johnnie Roper ~S~

smilo
January 14th, 2009, 16:14
dang...for a second, I thought ed was back...:faint:

we fly hard and stock cfs 1 aircraft to avoid the inevitable cheat arguments.
although we do allow specific approved aircraft in certain scenarios.

but, I still can not help you join a multi-player session.
you haven't answered the questions. :focus:

Johnny
January 18th, 2009, 20:42
~S~ Dogsbody1946,

It sounds like you want to fly with a 1% group. We can help you connect to your friend, but it is like smilo said: We need to know your computer set-up. Problems connecting can be in several locations. I can think of four off-hand and may or may not apply to you. Also, you do not have to be a member of the AAC to join in the fun.

I am sure we would like to fly with you, but you may not like to fly with us, so it is best to try it out first and think it over. We have had people join and fly one or more missions and never return. Hubbabubba is the man who has to make the names for the quarters and then all of the members have to place them into their scenery folder.

Hope to see you in my sites one day.

Johnny