PDA

View Full Version : Need some texture work help...

Sundog
August 10th, 2013, 11:40
..in terms of quick visualization. I've been doing some texture work again, but I have so many add on's in my FSX it takes around ten minutes to boot up and five minutes just to change and load a plane. Needless to say, that makes updates take forever. Also, I do have my KB set-up for quickly reloading the plane, but that won't allow me to change the texture and see it quickly with a reload. So, what are you guys using to see your texture work on the model quickly? I use Adobe PS and Illustrator to make textures for ref. if that helps. Of course I use the DXTBmp converter to make the final textures. Thanks.

jankees
August 10th, 2013, 11:53
I use FSX, but that's not quick.
I'm told the demo version of FS repaint works really well, but I never got it to work for me.

Dave Torkington
August 10th, 2013, 12:04
So, what are you guys using to see your texture work on the model quickly? I use Adobe PS and Illustrator to make textures for ref. if that helps. Of course I use the DXTBmp converter to make the final textures. Thanks.

I use the FSX SDK Object Placement Tool. It has a 'Flush Textures' button that does just that. I fiddle about with a layered psp file, save direct to .dds format then flush the textures whilst looking at the aircraft. Very useful when tweaking textures.

Dave.

falcon409
August 10th, 2013, 13:27
I use FSRepaint, but only to view work in progress as it's not really made for extensive painting with layers and it also has a problem displaying some FSX native textures. I think some even use ModelConverterX by Arno, which will allow you to import the mdl file and then select the livery you want to view. Both of those are handy because you can keep them active and as you make changes, simply save and then view.

Brian_Gladden
August 10th, 2013, 13:34
I use FSRepaint, but only to view work in progress as it's not really made for extensive painting with layers and it also has a problem displaying some FSX native textures. I think some even use ModelConverterX by Arno, which will allow you to import the mdl file and then select the livery you want to view. Both of those are handy because you can keep them active and as you make changes, simply save and then view.

FS Repaint allows you to select a different texture editor than the one that comes with it. I set my copy up to run my old copy of PSP 7. lots of layers that way.

I also have ModelConverterX and I use that to usually check out the animation on models or if a repaint will work on a different model variant.

gradyhappyg
August 10th, 2013, 14:55
Just started using Model Converter X v1.30 here. Was putting the new textures into the sim then overloading FSX with AI and switching AI aircraft every few seconds till the AI textures wouldn't show anymore and then switching back to the model I was working on and then waiting till the new textures loaded. Model Converter X is much simpler and quicker. And did I mention free?
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=83&act=down

Sundog
August 10th, 2013, 16:55
Thanks everyone, I give model converter a try.

Bjoern
August 11th, 2013, 07:05
+1 for ModelConverter.