PDA

View Full Version : World water masks

rhumbaflappy
August 10th, 2013, 06:08
Hi all.

I'm deriving a set of watermask for the world. It uses the SRTM masking for all data between N60 and S56. Above and below that area, I use GADM data to derive the ocean areas, and VMap0 to derive the lake/river areas.

I think this is the best combination of free water masking available. I'll try to get it organized by LOD5 areas, and in a format we can use with SBuilder9... for eventual use with Sander's CFS2Autocoast. It's a very large data set, so there will be errors!

I'm also going to check out some data for hydrological stream data, for use a vtp streams.

Dick

Sander
August 10th, 2013, 06:24
Hi all.

I'm deriving a set of watermask for the world. It uses the SRTM masking for all data between N60 and S56. Above and below that area, I use GADM data to derive the ocean areas, and VMap0 to derive the lake/river areas.

I think this is the best combination of free water masking available. I'll try to get it organized by LOD5 areas, and in a format we can use with SBuilder9... for eventual use with Sander's CFS2Autocoast. It's a very large data set, so there will be errors!

I'm also going to check out some data for hydrological stream data, for use a vtp streams.

Dick
Hi Dick,
That's good news. Restricting to LOD5 is not strictly technically necessery, but it sure would be nice to have SBuilder projects containing everything (lines+water) for that particular area in one file, for easy manual editing.
Also, I can do the Shoreline generation in cfs2autocoast, letting the LANDCLASS value for an area determine the TYPE of shoreline to use. At a later date.