PDA

View Full Version : Block Island "on hold"

falcon409
August 9th, 2013, 10:25
Been working on the new Terminal now for over a week and it's still quite a ways off. Somewhere along the way, a few lines wandered off plum and now, as you can imagine, everything after that has gotten worse and worse. I'm having to use triangles to get things to close which throws off the textures and so on and so on. Extremely frustrating. . .to the point that I may have to trash this one and start over again. What a pain. I've attached a shot of the real terminal and you can see it isn't just a simple building. I've quit for a while to go do some flying around Randy's masterpieces.

rdaniell
August 9th, 2013, 10:39
Boy! Do I know that feeling.....:isadizzy: Thank you Ed, for the compliment on my projects.

RD

trucker17
August 9th, 2013, 10:48
Sad to hear that you may have to scrape the terminal and start over....
My work in creating scenery objects, is in the toilet.....Randy has made a few things for my KIMPO Korean war airport, signs that made the scenery even better....
And objects I am unable to do.....I still work with sketchup, but still everything looks like stick objects....OH WELL.....
As long as I can recruit many of the experts in scenery objects creation, the scenery will get done looking as it should.....
So Thanks Randy for what you have done on these.....
And keep the custom sceneries coming....:salute:

CWOJackson
August 9th, 2013, 11:38
Been working on the new Terminal now for over a week and it's still quite a ways off. Somewhere along the way, a few lines wandered off plum and now, as you can imagine, everything after that has gotten worse and worse. I'm having to use triangles to get things to close which throws off the textures and so on and so on. Extremely frustrating. . .to the point that I may have to trash this one and start over again. What a pain. I've attached a shot of the real terminal and you can see it isn't just a simple building. I've quit for a while to go do some flying around Randy's masterpieces.

A real shame after so much work.

One thing I don't like about "electronic" projects is the lack of a physical product. For instance, if I make an error in the wood shop I do have the option of releasing some frustration by making some sawdust in company with some appropriate language.

What can you do with an electronic project? Someone needs to develop a "demolition" program for 3D models so you can at least blow up the errors.

rdaniell
August 9th, 2013, 12:13
A real shame after so much work.

One thing I don't like about "electronic" projects is the lack of a physical product. For instance, if I make an error in the wood shop I do have the option of releasing some frustration by making some sawdust in company with some appropriate language.

What can you do with an electronic project? Someone needs to develop a "demolition" program for 3D models so you can at least blow up the errors.

Now that's funny, :icon_lol:I don't care who you are.

RD

MCDesigns
August 9th, 2013, 12:45

I was looking at the image and being envious thinking "I don't see anything wrong" ....then i read the text again, OPPS!

Yep, modeling can be that way. i save so many times during a model that I get confused sometimes on which is the finished object, LOL. Looking at the terminal, the modeling is the easy part for me, it's the texturing I hate, LOL.

ryanbatc
August 9th, 2013, 13:00
No worries... quite a cool little airport. Keith Smith from Pilot Edge did a nice video landing there in his lancair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP75ifdya1Q

falcon409
August 9th, 2013, 14:07
I needed a break and watching some landings at Block Island served to get me back on track (at least temporarily). This is where I am with the Terminal right now. The front is more or less complete, the back is the part that's giving me fits and unfortunately, it's the part most will see when they land and taxi in to park.

fxsttcb
August 10th, 2013, 04:21
Not knowing what the back should look like, all I can say is the whole thing is wonderful now. :applause: ...Don

falcon409
August 10th, 2013, 04:41
Thanks Don. . . .this is how it looks in the sim, still some work to do on it and a few more things to add in and around the Terminal, but I just decided it was gonna get finished this weekend and not drag on anymore, lol.

rdaniell
August 10th, 2013, 04:47
Thanks Don. . . .this is how it looks in the sim, still some work to do on it and a few more things to add in and around the Terminal, but I just decided it was gonna get finished this weekend and not drag on anymore, lol.

That is looking really good. Your placement of the various kinds of vegetation greatly adds to the immersion factor.

RD

OleBoy
August 10th, 2013, 05:03
Out of square, plumb? Been there many times myself, Ed. Back when I was creating hanger buildings I was on a role. Things appeared to be going well and looking real nice. Then about %75 into the model things took a turn for the worse right out of the blue. At that point it was like going in reverse order through a maze and fixing things. Eliminating was more the term as I had to get back to the start point where it all started to do it correctly where I could reset that wall or whatever it was. I had to have done it on a Monday! None-the-less everything became evident of an error when it came to texture placement. Hmmm :isadizzy:

Your projects are coming along well. :icon29:

fxsttcb
August 10th, 2013, 05:24
That is looking really good. Your placement of the various kinds of vegetation greatly adds to the immersion factor.

RD+1
Whatta job you've done!

rdaniell
August 10th, 2013, 06:08
Ed can we get one of those hundred dollar hamburgers there? (Actually, the last time I bought one, it was closer to three hundred due to present day fuel prices.)

RD

Stan V.
August 10th, 2013, 06:21
Was just out looking at KBID on Google Earth and I am wondering - does anyone know of a decent mesh for Block Island? I noticed both from the landing video above and from Google Earth that there are significant cliffs along the southern shore of the island which do not show up in my FS scenery of the island. Also, the landclass I have seems to represent the island as much more heavily wooded than is actually the case. I am hoping that the upcoming global landclass might improve this.

falcon409
August 10th, 2013, 07:23
Yep, I noticed the cliffs as well in that video. I use GEX which seemed to populate the area more than it is so I changed the landclass around the airport to reflect less of a "city" atmosphere. As for mesh, I don't know of any, although there are freeware meshes available for various parts of the US (East Coast being one) and FSGenesis is always updating their mesh, just not certain that any of it would concentrate on the Island enough to give the cliffs a more realistic appearance. . .I'll have to search around before I finish and release the airport.

falcon409
August 10th, 2013, 08:03
Raimondo Taburet has some 38.2m mesh for the east coast area. I have no idea what's currently active there. Downside to this is that you'd have to download 12 files@50meg each to find out. He doesn't indicate what areas are covered by what downloads, just that all 12 cover the entire east coast. I don't know that I need it that bad, lol.