PDA

View Full Version : 1941's "Dive Bomber" On The Tele Now

Panther_99FS
August 7th, 2013, 21:35
This movie is quite interesting because it was released 7 months before the US entered the war...Also, it was filmed in color and NOT colorized!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_jOkvJERlk

Talon
August 7th, 2013, 22:40
I've downloaded alot fo the old movies and put them on DVD.I have about 30 of them.

Here's some of the ones I have downloaded.

Fighter Squadron- 633 Squadron
Battle of Britain- Objective Burma
In Harms Way- The Great Escape
The Blue Max- Bridges at Toko-Ri
They were Expendable- To Late the Hero
God Is My Copilot- Wake Island
Guns of Navarone- Airforce
Devils Brigade- 30 Seconds over Tokyo
Patton- 12 O'Clock High
The Gallant Hours - The Longest Day
Back to Bataan- Hell is for Heros
The Enemy Below- Battleground
PorkChop Hill- Midway

And many more and all free downloads.

gradyhappyg
August 7th, 2013, 23:41
Great list add.
All quiet on the western front, The original 1930s version
Bridge on the river Kwia.
Red badge of courage, also the original 1957 version.
Das Boot.
Sergeant York.

SW
August 8th, 2013, 03:22
This movie is quite interesting because it was released 7 months before the US entered the war...Also, it was filmed in color and NOT colorized!

Cool!

Sascha66
August 8th, 2013, 04:04
Why is "Fred Mc Murray as the squadron commander of the Navy's dive bombers" wearing a diving suit? This gave me a whole new perspective on the term "dive bombing" lol! Or is that a prototype space suit?

Sascha

brad kaste
August 8th, 2013, 05:40
I purchased 'Dive Bomber' a few years back from Amazon at a nominal cost...$10 bucks. Worth every penny to see the colorfully painted Navy pre-war birds in flight as well as taxing around on the ground. Errol Flynn portrays a flight medical researcher and Fred MacMurray plays a squadron commander who put their differences aside and delve into the problems of what causes blackout-inducing G-forces and high altitude sickness. Alexis Smith (love interest) and Ralph Bellamy have small parts in the feature movie.
There's even a few scenes including the USS Enterprise,....the nation's most decorated WWII ship. So buy the DVD,....make a batch of micro-wave popcorn,...open a brewski or two,...and enjoy!

aeromed202
August 8th, 2013, 06:32
If you get Das Boot, I recommend the subtitled version over the dubbed. I've seen both and think the subtitled one offers a more convincing portrait, IMHO. One might also consider Sahara with Humphrey Bogart.

glh
August 8th, 2013, 07:11
I've downloaded alot fo the old movies and put them on DVD.I have about 30 of them.

Here's some of the ones I have downloaded.

Fighter Squadron- 633 Squadron
----------- deleted GLH ------------

And many more and all free downloads.

Talon:

Would you mind telling me where you downloaded these movies from ?? Thank you.

glh
August 8th, 2013, 07:18
Why is "Fred Mc Murray as the squadron commander of the Navy's dive bombers" wearing a diving suit? This gave me a whole new perspective on the term "dive bombing" lol! Or is that a prototype space suit?

Sascha

You have to give the movie a little license here.

It would have entailed a prohibitive penalty in terms of weight and energy requirements to install pressurization equipment for the entire cockpit area so they went with just enclosing the single pilot in a suit as a first-cut approach. I have no idea whether or not the Navy actually tested this contraption.

SSI01
August 8th, 2013, 08:36
You know, guys, I wonder just how much influence Wiley Post's high-altitude rig had on the costume designers for that film? The one Wiley wore in the Winnie Mae for his altitude record looks to be fairly close to what they were wearing in the film. I'll bet they at least got the idea from his work.

glh
August 8th, 2013, 15:14
You know, guys, I wonder just how much influence Wiley Post's high-altitude rig had on the costume designers for that film? The one Wiley wore in the Winnie Mae for his altitude record looks to be fairly close to what they were wearing in the film. I'll bet they at least got the idea from his work.

I'd give you about a 99% correct on that idea.

Panther_99FS
August 8th, 2013, 17:08
Worth every penny to see the colorfully painted Navy pre-war birds in flight as well as taxing around on the ground.

Oh yeah for sure - the blew me away in the film! I mean ALL the planes were show-room new, polished, and without a drop of fuel or oil on them!

Talon
August 9th, 2013, 21:26
Talon:

Would you mind telling me where you downloaded these movies from ?? Thank you.

Here's the link.

http://stagevu.com/index

In the search type in movie name,an actor/actress or a theme like scifi,world war 2 or what ever.

The movies I downloaded are quality movies.Some take along time to download whi;e others maybe 20 minutes,depends how popular they are on the site.

When you find a movie you like click on it,a screen will come up with watch,download.Below the screen to the left is a direct download.Use that or you go to another site that tries to make you pay.