PDA

View Full Version : Just an observation...

rdaniell
August 6th, 2013, 08:00
In the past few days it seems to me that once again the motto of the Outhouse has been forgotten.

"Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!"

There's more I would like to say about all this masculine bovine excrement regarding apologies and retirements, etc., but, I'll follow my own admonition and keep quite.:sleep:

RD

fxsttcb
August 6th, 2013, 08:17
Mebbe we can get gaucho_59 to utilize his Anesthesiology skills, and put that garbage to sleep...:running:...Don

+1

Killbilly
August 6th, 2013, 08:26
In the past few days it seems to me that once again the motto of the Outhouse has been forgotten.

There's more I would like to say about all this masculine bovine excrement regarding apologies and retirements, etc., but, I'll follow my own admonition and keep quite.:sleep:

RD

It's especially nice when one can be helpful and right. You were just both. Thank you.

Roger
August 6th, 2013, 09:15
Well we try and keep it civilised but sometimes excessive moderation is required and none of us like that.

Francois
August 6th, 2013, 09:19
The best word in my own vocabulary these days is 'ignore'. Life's too short. 'Nuff said.

WarHorse47
August 6th, 2013, 09:22
The best word in my own vocabulary these days is 'ignore'. Life's too short. 'Nuff said.Amen to that.

JensOle
August 6th, 2013, 09:24
I don't really see the problem going on here, storm in a bottle or whatever the Norwegian saying is translated in English. I come her for the friendly chat with similar minded people, just like I have with Lazarus about improving his Majestic class light fleet carrier design. The bull**** I just ignore as it does nothing good for me.

Why in the earth have people so little self confidence that they even get upset by the comments made by one or two people on this forum. I make my repaint because I enjoy it, happy to get constructive feedback from the soh crowd, but I don't really care if people are calling it crap because I'm happy with the quality and how it looks. I make repaint and FS addons for myself, if other people enjoy my work, that good to hear, but if not I don't really care. They can make their own stuff..

Roger
August 6th, 2013, 09:26
I don't really see the problem going on here, storm in a bottle or whatever the Norwegian saying is translated in English....

Probably because we're English we say "storm in a tea-cup":santahat:

PutPut
August 6th, 2013, 09:30
One advantage of being 81 is I can claim I have lapsed into my 3rd childhood (my wife says I'm too old for my 2nd) and am too young to read these things. Just show me the pictures!

BTW, I really can remember my first 1st grade reader. How many of you grew up with:

Dick See Dick See Dick Run

Jane See Jane See Jane Run

Spot See Spot See Spot Run

and on Ad Nauseum.

Best, Paul

falcon409
August 6th, 2013, 09:35
I don't really see the problem going on here, storm in a bottle or whatever the Norwegian saying is translated in English. I come her for the friendly chat with similar minded people, just like I have with Lazarus about improving his Majestic class light fleet carrier design. The bull**** I just ignore as it does nothing good for me.

Why in the earth have people so little self confidence that they even get upset by the comments made by one or two people on this forum. I make my repaint because I enjoy it, happy to get constructive feedback from the soh crowd, but I don't really care if people are calling it crap because I'm happy with the quality and how it looks. I make repaint and FS addons for myself, if other people enjoy my work, that good to hear, but if not I don't really care. They can make their own stuff..
Yep, well stated. Deciding to quit, leave, retire because of anything that goes on in a forum is silly. The only person that get's the short end, so to speak, is the one who decided to "quit, leave, retire", lol. Ignore the idiots and naysayers and enjoy what you do. . .as many have already correctly stated. . .life's too short.:salute:

JIMJAM
August 6th, 2013, 10:15
Avsim is the worst and why I left and came here years ago. Recently a new release came out and there was nothing here so I went to Avsim and saw there was 12 pages on it.Yippee I said and quickly found out that 3/4 of it was BS. The mine is bigger than yours.Arguing over Dx10 vs 9,Accel vs gold,steam gauges over glass.It seems every thread there I see quickly deteriorates into old rehashes of crap thats been debated since FSX came out.Seem to be alot of real world pilots arguing over the mostly petty trivial crap. I doubt most of these guys cause I know when I flew my favorite hobby was sleep.After mashing my ass for 12 hours and watching gauges the last thing I wanted to do is come home and fly a sim.
A $40 addon and these guys are slamming the developer over the FMC's inability to do 100% of the one in a 20 million $ plane.
Same old tired crap just a younger generation with no appreciation of just how lucky we are to be able to enjoy this much less be able to afford it. Mini rant over.

Also Youtube is the same way so it must be something in the water. A guy post a video of his babies first steps.Next thing you know the comments are about Obamacare,2nd amendment rights.... Someone post pics of their puppy playing with a ball and within a week there are 100 comments with a few going head to head over how bad Justin Bieber sucks.
I dunno but I think the world has finally gone crazy.

RobH
August 6th, 2013, 10:45

I won't get into the whole mess that got this started in the first place, but JensOle's comment has a very good lesson in it Sometimes we forget the reason we started painting to begin with. We did it because it was fun! But, unfortunately, after a while it starts consuming all our time and our lives, then it becomes our life. Then it becomes personal when someone comments negatively about our work. I know, I have gotten myself into a few arguments over the years, and I bet some of you have too. Some of us just handle it better than others. I was not one of them that handled it very well.

If we're not careful, we forget to have FUN with this. It's supposed to be FUN! We are creating something with our hands, so to speak. Even though some of us can't paint as good as some of the great ones here, who cares? Have fun anyway! You cannot please everyone!! I think I made a few people happy over the years with my paints, but I know good and well, I did not please everyone. I tried too, and it consumed me, and made me a not very well liked person around here over the years.

Those of you that have said they are quitting, are only hurting yourself, and taking away from yourself what you loved to do. There was a reason why you posted your work here before, you liked it here and you liked the people. Don't punish yourself and the people that have admired and enjoyed your work in the past, because of a few people. Just take a break, and come back stronger!

One last thing, people please don't be so harsh on the staff here, you know they have a tough job and are doing the best they can with this situation. It has to be one hell of a juggling act to keep everyone happy. Just like yourself, they have a lot of time and work invested here as well.

whitney17
August 6th, 2013, 10:51
Probably because we're English we say "storm in a tea-cup":santahat:

In American English it's "tempest in a teapot". Historically we and the Brits have a thing with tea.:icon_lol: I wonder what it is in Canadian and Australian English.

Joe

Roger
August 6th, 2013, 10:58
In American English it's "tempest in a teapot". Historically we and the Brits have a thing with tea.:icon_lol: I wonder what it is in Canadian and Australian English.

Joe

Ha ha, yes we do have a thing with tea...

Dangerousdave26
August 6th, 2013, 10:58

BTW, I really can remember my first 1st grade reader. How many of you grew up with:

Dick See Dick See Dick Run

Jane See Jane See Jane Run

Spot See Spot See Spot Run

and on Ad Nauseum.

Best, Paul

Paul believe it or not I did. My mother had all those books when I was a kid and I learned to read from them.

Francois
August 6th, 2013, 11:01
Then let me add something important to the discussion: in Dutch it is a 'storm in a glass of water' ..... :wavey:

Bushpounder
August 6th, 2013, 11:13
Ah! A tempest in a tea cup. Hi Francois!!!!:wavey:

Don

Francois
August 6th, 2013, 11:25
Hi Buddy !!! You okay !? :wavey:

Paul Anderson
August 6th, 2013, 12:50
Just like tv shows that turn to drama, eg:
bike builders son has problem with dad
pawn shop owners son has problem with dad
auto builder has guy quit in a hissy fit

When that happens, I stop watching it.
Same as rant threads here, you see it's drama and not content, just stop watching.
Problem solved.

Bushpounder
August 6th, 2013, 13:12
Hi Buddy !!! You okay !? :wavey:

Doing well, thank you. Busy as hell at work. Still working on the aviation gallery. That work will never be done, nor should it! LOL! How are you and Nina doing?

Don

anthony31
August 6th, 2013, 17:10
It would be nice if some people would remember that anyone posting free stuff (whether repaints, scenery or airplanes) is doing you a favour.

They don't have to upload stuff, they could just keep it all to themselves.

Imagine this analogy:

Someone invites you to dinner.

They cook you a meal and you eat it but there is something you don't like so you tell them that they should have done this or that or whatever to make it better. D

You leave without even saying thank you for the free meal.

Do you think your host will invite you back again? Yeah, fat chance of that happening.

Now, imagine someone uploads a free repaint. You decide to helpfully point out all the errors and of course you don't bother saying thank you. Do you think the repainter will want to upload some more repaints?

gaucho_59
August 6th, 2013, 17:42

RD

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::applause::applause: :applause:

In Spanish: una tormenta en un vaso de agua....

I don't quite remember the Italian... but I think it is "una tempesta in un bichier' d'acqua"

Francois
August 6th, 2013, 23:15
Doing well, thank you. Busy as hell at work. Still working on the aviation gallery. That work will never be done, nor should it! LOL! How are you and Nina doing?

Don

Still holding the fort and watching everybody around us getting retired......... or real tired. :icon_lol:

dhasdell
August 7th, 2013, 08:54
Absolutely. There's plenty of squabbling and BS in RL without bringing in into our friendly and supportive forums. This is where we (I, anyway) come to be among friends and to get away from pettiness.

alx
August 9th, 2013, 09:54
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::applause::applause: :applause:

In Spanish: una tormenta en un vaso de agua....

I don't quite remember the Italian... but I think it is "una tempesta in un bichier' d'acqua"

98% correct. "una tempesta in un bicchier d'acqua".

You missed just a couple of "rivets" :icon_lol: