PDA

View Full Version : Drivable boat question

MCDesigns
August 5th, 2013, 20:06
First off, IT FLOATS!! (to coin a term from another thread, LOL) After I got to this point I got nothing done as I went all over the place in this thing, LOL. this will be a scenery object for my scenery also as well as an animated object circling the bay or ships, that part is easy.

I want to add more to it as a drivable boat. Right now I am using the folder for the Deltasim power boat winch is payware, but works near perfectly. I have no knowledge of how to set it up (CFGs, sounds, viewpoints, effects, wakes) otherwise to share, so asking for any insight into this from any of the ship gurus.

Also, would love to have a search light of some kind, do the shockwave lights light up objects also? Are they hard to position?

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/6239/b94b.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img407/16/krkl.jpg

orionll
August 5th, 2013, 20:11
If you don't intend on using it in multiplayer, you can set it up as a proper boat SimObject. Just take a look at any of the models in SimObjects\Boats and you'll get an idea.

To make them drivable, you can follow a tutorial here: http://www.strikingsoftware.com/forum/index.php?topic=1167.0. Essentially, you need to add a panel and add Boat to the FSX.CFG UserObjects key under [Main].

Francois
August 5th, 2013, 22:40
FUN !!!

Delta_Whiskey
August 6th, 2013, 22:01
you could grab the airfile and cfg from my Donzi 28 at simV . goes about 70ish
it's freeware. feel free to try out the dynamics files on yours and if you like - feel free to publish your stuff with them .

i use an f4u corsair soundfile , nice and throaty
the CG is the tweak for bow rise and stickyness on the water coupled with the contact point vars
contact points for the engine wakes and bow wakes, damping and strut compression are the tricky parts there
effects file for hull wake ( tried to make a rooster tail effects once based off the whale spout effect, never finished it )

thats a nice boat you made there btw,
regards,
Bruce-

napamule
August 6th, 2013, 22:29
MC,
I have used the Donzi FDEs with a Zodiac. With a few tweaks you can match model to cnt pts. I also have a 'Jet' engined Donzi (whooooosh!). I last worked on Zodiac in April 2013, but most 'heavy work' was done back in 2008. I show same dates (tweaks) for Donzi. I must of found something to add (to improve them). I think they cruise at 80 kts, but you can go 40 kts if you are 'chicken' (ha).

I can work on your boat's cnt pts, and/or engine, lights, effects, etc. No charge. But I would need a week. Let me know. I am retired and am always working on one thing or another in the Sim, so no biggee. It's not like I have to take a day off or work or anything (hehe).
Chuck B
Napamule

MCDesigns
August 8th, 2013, 15:36
Sorry for the late reply guys, got caught up with work. I appreciate the responses, more than I had hoped for.
Will play with some of the ideas and see what I can come up with. Chuck, if I get stuck, I'll accept your offer, but really want to try to do this on my own first so I can gain the knowledge.

I just finished an animated version as a scenery object and have it circling one of my destroyers and it looks great. I used the small wake for the front, the medium wake for the trailing wake and 2 water spray effects, one for each motor and it worked great. Kinda neat to be hovering towards the landing deck and a patrol zodiac cruises underneath.

I did do a MP session with them last night and it was pretty cool seeing 6 of them tooling around a Somali fishing vessel, LOL.

napamule
August 8th, 2013, 17:42
Well, ok, but 'trial-n-error' learning should take you a couple of years (TO GET IT RIGHT). Not my opinion. Fact. I could give you some hints as to what works (and what does not) and you take it from there. Offer still stands. Cfg and air both need attention for best results.
Chuck B
Napamule