PDA

View Full Version : IFR or VFR?

SeanTK
July 31st, 2013, 18:53
Just a question out of curiosity since I just took the Carenado Cessna 152 up to practice NDB and LOC (Localizer-only) approaches.

I'm assuming the crowd here is primarily VFR, but is there anyone around who routinely conducts IFR flights in the simulator?
As an expansion of that for those that do participate in IFR flight, are you capable of performing multiple approach types (Precision/Non-precision....VOR, LOC, NDB, etc), holding patterns, etc, etc?

I have an instrument rating but I've been out of the cockpit in the real world for a while (primarily due to money and time), and I've found FSX to be fantastic for refreshing myself on instrument basics.

Victory103
July 31st, 2013, 19:05
Back in rotary days, we didn't fly much IFR, so I would use the sim to keep somewhat current on procedures, flying the same approaches I planned to fly on checkrides. Even now, it's not always solid IFR, maybe pop-up from some layer and drive on.

ryanbatc
July 31st, 2013, 19:22
Oh boy I go IFR almost all my flights. I fly on Pilot Edge (USA socal area). Lots of my routes are TEC routes (very structured routing and lower altitudes even with jets), then I usually fly some fun approach, VOR/DME, full proc with arcs etc.

Sean I'd really recommend the above service. There's a 15 day trial for free to get the hang of it. Upside - very professional ATC online, realistic frequencies found on charts (not like vatsim where center controls all the frequencies), RW local ops. Downside - tiny coverage area (southern california and they've recently opened KSFO for the tube liner folks who like to fly socal to norcal), also since the service is fairly recent the volume of pilots is low (average 5-10 users per hour during weekdays)

http://www.pilotedge.net/

johndetrick
July 31st, 2013, 19:34
As a furloughed B767 pilot, I use the Level D 767 to keep my hand in with flows,profiles and procedures. For fun I fly the Captain Sim 727 and do it the old fashioned way.

Paul Domingue
July 31st, 2013, 21:07
I used to fly IFR and mostly Marshal Procedures on VATSIM but it's been ages since I did. I could use a refresher course that's for sure. Most of my flying now is just VFR and for testing more then anything else.

TeaSea
August 1st, 2013, 16:43
I fly IFR every flight (just about)....one of the reasons I originally bought FS9 was to practice IFR approaches and techniques cheaply....

The simulation works "Okay"....it's a bit clumsy at times.

You can request a particular approach and you can make a low approach, go missed (it will use the published missed) and request another approach. At times I've had it get "stuck" (sort of like your basic car GPS used to do...refusing to "recalculate"), in which case you cancel IFR, then refile.

Bit of a pain sometimes, so I will also fly under VFR rules and make the published approaches in IFR conditions.....just ignore the Tower telling you you're going to go to hell for making an unauthorized landing. The way I look at it, it's my computer, it's my software, dammit....I own the whole reality!!

Again...all workable, but clumsy. I've not tried the other on line worlds the previous gentlemen mentioned. Perhaps I will.

ryanbatc
August 1st, 2013, 17:29
Again...all workable, but clumsy. I've not tried the other on line worlds the previous gentlemen mentioned. Perhaps I will.

Careful you might enjoy it. Is that you flying the aircraft in your avatar? What plane is that?

beana51
August 1st, 2013, 17:59
Used a program called "ON-TOP" for Hanger IFR,practice......I think the Air Force Academy used FS9 for familiarization at one time....Its all fine...We know the Airline Simulators do shake,rattle and roll....Helps,but in IFR,as all know,its the "G" forces,vertigo,disorientation,Ect,Ect..No running to the Fridge,no Pause.....Answer is get up in the soup with a qualified IFR instructor....Try it!

White Knuckles,stained drawers,knees knocking,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXJCHUmuUyw