PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know where I am?

rdaniell
July 29th, 2013, 05:44
I took off from Fitzgearld this morning and must have gone through some kind of time warp:pop4: or something. This place sure ain't:kilroy: Fitzgearld.

RD

falcon409
July 29th, 2013, 07:28
ooh, ooh, I know, I know (waving frantically), lol. RD it appears that at this point there are 49 folks who know but don't care, lol. It looks just the same as mine which is a quandary because I have exhausted what I know about scenery making in trying to figure out why autogen is being suppressed. I've checked and re-checked every object placed in my sceneries and they are all tagged to allow autogen, yet it continues to be missing in action. I tried removing the excludes and flatten I had made for this one with no change. Tried variations in the scenery density, no change. So if some true scenery guru would be willing to take the scenery folder and look it over sometime, it would be great. . .I don't know what else to do.

I'm checking out Fitzgerald right now RD.

Meshman
July 29th, 2013, 07:57
So if some true scenery guru would be willing to take the scenery folder and look it over sometime, it would be great. . .I don't know what else to do.

Oh yeah... I is a sceenery guru! :costum:

Well not really, but I'd be happy to lend another pair of eyes just to see if they can catch some quirk.

falcon409
July 29th, 2013, 08:26
Oh yeah... I is a scenery guru! :costum:
Well not really, but I'd be happy to lend another pair of eyes just to see if they can catch some quirk.
You know way more than I do, that's for sure, lol. I have sent you a PM with a link to download the scenery for both Sherman and Cape Cod since they both have the same problem. Thank you for offering, I really appreciate it.:salute:

rdaniell
July 29th, 2013, 08:31
ooh, ooh, I know, I know (waving frantically), lol. RD it appears that at this point there are 49 folks who know but don't care, lol. It looks just the same as mine which is a quandary because I have exhausted what I know about scenery making in trying to figure out why autogen is being suppressed. I've checked and re-checked every object placed in my sceneries and they are all tagged to allow autogen, yet it continues to be missing in action. I tried removing the excludes and flatten I had made for this one with no change. Tried variations in the scenery density, no change. So if some true scenery guru would be willing to take the scenery folder and look it over sometime, it would be great. . .I don't know what else to do.

I'm checking out Fitzgerald right now RD.

Kinda reminds me of another scenery thread some time back. The one where somebody asked why there doesn't seem to be nearly as much "excitment" about scenery as airplanes.

For what it's worth, I plan to continue modifying airports that interest me and offer them to the community here at the Outhouse. If someone else gets some enjoyment out of them, that's just the "icing on the cake." My motivation has always been and continues to be: I do it because I get a great deal of satisfaction from seeing a drab default FSX airport seem to come "alive" or at least a little more interesting.

RD

Roger
July 29th, 2013, 08:58
I really hope you can sort it out Ed it looks great. With FTX Global I'm flying more on the East coast and Plum to Cape Cod would be a really nice trip.

MCDesigns
July 29th, 2013, 10:04
Ed, let us know if you find a solution. I have the same thing going on in another scenery i was working on last year. Did a photoreal Botswana reserve and there is a lodge area with dense trees. After i modeled the lodge area and placed the autogen, it just didn't show up in that spot, no matter what I did. Took the objects out, it showed back up. I finally resorted to making my own Acacia trees which is why I haven't worked on it in awhile.

falcon409
July 29th, 2013, 10:52
Ed, let us know if you find a solution. I have the same thing going on in another scenery i was working on last year. Did a photoreal Botswana reserve and there is a lodge area with dense trees. After i modeled the lodge area and placed the autogen, it just didn't show up in that spot, no matter what I did. Took the objects out, it showed back up. I finally resorted to making my own Acacia trees which is why I haven't worked on it in awhile.

I posted this problem over on the FSDeveloper site and Arno said that I could add a section in the XML to set a "NoAutogenSuppression" switch. Only problem is I don't know how to do that and I have assumed (and I'm probably wrong) that tagging the objects in Instant Scenery to "Allow Autogen Under Model" was doing basically the same thing. If it is, then that's not where the problem is. Very Frustrating.

MCDesigns
July 29th, 2013, 11:24
Ed, here is something to try. I was looking at MCX and it's options. It has under special tools an MDL tweaker that lets you adjust the bounding box and the radius of the object. I know the bounding box seems to effect autogen so maybe adjusting either/both of these for the MDL might help.

As you pointed out, I would also assume that making an object not suppress autogen in IS would be the same as doing it in XML.

Meshman
July 29th, 2013, 16:23
BREAKING NEWS!!!

Today a blind squirrel was able to find a nut, film at 11:00! :cool:

I solved the grass/vegetation thingy. Checked the extracted MDL files for the brush and bushes and went into FSX with IS2 active. Placed a bunch around my local airport and then deactivated IS2 and restarted FSX to find nothing was showing. Hummmm, so I went back into MCX and checked the MDL files again. It's calling for a _LM texture, of which there is none. So I tried to remove that within MCX and it wouldn't allow that. Hummmm, wonder what will happen if I copy the Undergrowth.dds file and name it undergrowth_lm.dds? BINGO, we now how the vegetation showing that was placed with IS2 or at least it is in my local airport.

I'll go back and see how it looks at Sherman / Cape Cod after I eat dinner. Is this the "autogen" that you're referring to? If not, what autogen and where, because the scenery objects that weren't showing should be there with a _LM file. I would imagine any correctly sized (same as non-LM file) colored all black would suffice.

falcon409
July 29th, 2013, 16:35
BREAKING NEWS!!!

I solved the grass/vegetation thingy. Checked the extracted MDL files for the brush and bushes and went into FSX with IS2 active. Placed a bunch around my local airport and then deactivated IS2 and restarted FSX to find nothing was showing. Hummmm, so I went back into MCX and checked the MDL files again. It's calling for a _LM texture, of which there is none. So I tried to remove that within MCX and it wouldn't allow that. Hummmm, wonder what will happen if I copy the Undergrowth.dds file and name it undergrowth_lm.dds? BINGO, we now how the vegetation showing that was placed with IS2 or at least it is in my local airport.

I'll go back and see how it looks at Sherman / Cape Cod after I eat dinner. Is this the "autogen" that you're referring to? If not, what autogen and where, because the scenery objects that weren't showing should be there with a _LM file. I would imagine any correctly sized (same as non-LM file) colored all black would suffice.
Wow. . . .who'da thunk it?? Genius Lance. . . .the grass is one area that baffled me, but even more is the autogen placed by the annotator, which encircles the entire airport, specifically along the main road running by the entrance and then along the backside of the hangars. I always assumed that autogen placed by the annotator would be unaffected by most anything. Great job though.:applause:

Meshman
July 29th, 2013, 18:10
Wow. . . .who'da thunk it?? Genius Lance. . . .the grass is one area that baffled me, but even more is the autogen placed by the annotator, which encircles the entire airport, specifically along the main road running by the entrance and then along the backside of the hangars. I always assumed that autogen placed by the annotator would be unaffected by most anything. Great job though.:applause:

Now are you talking about Sherman or Cape Cod? One of Arno's many tools is something that turns the AGN file's contents into a text file for easier use of the data. Having an idea where about your referring to can help tracking down what the issue may be.

Checked both airports and the veggies are there.

falcon409
July 29th, 2013, 18:55
The main trouble with Sherman was the ground objects, grass mostly. . .Cape Cod was everything, both grass and the autogen. Here is a shot of the Annotator screen and the amount of AG that should be showing. Granted some of this is "scrub" "ag", very small and insignificant really, but the larger "Conifers and Broadleaf" trees are no smaller than about 8 foot and go up in height from there. A lot of what's showing close to the hangars is scenery objects, not the autogen I set with the annotator.

anthony31
July 29th, 2013, 18:57
BREAKING NEWS!!!

Ha, Now I remember that bug. Turns out that the model gets placed at sea level. I had a problem once making some airport flood lights and kept wondering why my lights would keep disappearing. Eventually figured out that they would be placed at sea level if FSX couldn't find the light map texture. As the airport was a bit above sealevel they ended up disappearing.

Man, there are so many bugs in FSX I can't remember them all!

CG_1976
July 29th, 2013, 19:13
Sorry I was busy in my Arctic stumping grounds and whizzing around Sherman TX with my make shift USCG EC27J.

rdaniell
July 29th, 2013, 19:27
Is this the grass you've been looking for? I placed the grass bgl and textures in my test airport folder and installed it with ADEX. Shows up fine.

RD

Meshman
July 29th, 2013, 19:52
The main trouble with Sherman was the ground objects, grass mostly. . .Cape Cod was everything, both grass and the autogen. Here is a shot of the Annotator screen and the amount of AG that should be showing. Granted some of this is "scrub" "ag", very small and insignificant really, but the larger "Conifers and Broadleaf" trees are no smaller than about 8 foot and go up in height from there. A lot of what's showing close to the hangars is scenery objects, not the autogen I set with the annotator.

Had to resize the pic (twice!), but here's what I see. Plenty of AG, in fact some where it shouldn't be, like on the road and trees right above the trike's right wheel which overhang and affect both of those runways.

falcon409
July 29th, 2013, 21:04
I see your Landclass is different from what I have. I tried changing mine but it wouldn't accept it. The other is that from the crossroads go left down the highway towards the entrance to the airport and all that, based on what you see from the Annotator, should be large trees and there's nothing there. As I said, the trees you see are objects, not the seasonal trees that the annotator produces.

RD, yep, that's my grass.