PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration

OBIO
January 13th, 2009, 23:27
Today, my wife and I were getting a bit stir crazy as we had been holed up in the house since Friday afternoon's snow fall (around a foot)...so I decided that we needed to get out of the house for a spell....it would really do Deb some good as she is recovering from a brain surgery in August and moving about will help rebuild her strength. Well, into our little blue Chevy Corsica we climb (Deb did it with total ease :jump: that belies the fact that less than 5 months ago a tumor the size of two golf balls was removed from her head) and into the neighboring town/county we go to the Good Will thrift store. Deb found a clock, antique mirror and a lovely art print of the Virgin Mary and Baby JC that would go very well in our psuedo-Victorian/Tuscan Italian theme decor. I found a really neat tin sign for $2. About 18 inches wide, 6 inches at the tallest point. The back ground is a red rectangle edged in black, with a black oval offset to the top. Overlaying the oval is white script lettering that say "Gates". Something about the sign just struck a cord with me....it has the look and feel that one would associate with general/civil aviation of the 1940s and 50s. Very classic coloration, very classic design.

Well, that little $2 tin sign will be joining the reproduction WW2 era tin signs that decorate my office/flight room/fish and ferret room. And it is the inspiration for another fictional paint for NCGent's Fairchild F-91.

So, basically the point of this entire pile of drivel is that one needs to keep his eyes and mind open to inspiration...be it for painting sim aircraft, writing poetry or what have you.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd251/OBIOandSharkbait/Flight%20Sim%20Images/Gates1.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd251/OBIOandSharkbait/Flight%20Sim%20Images/Gates2.jpg

OBIO

Lionheart
January 14th, 2009, 02:55
Great story and adventure OBIO, and very well done paint scheme as well.

I am glad your wife got through that surgery. I pray every day for God to wipe out cancer in all its forms.. I love to hear the success stories.

Every now and then, I too like to hit the second hand stores. Here in Phoenix, we have a line of stores called 'Savers'. Awesome stores.. I have found some pretty cool 'relics' there, like a 'Lost in Space' robot that still works and says 'Danger danger Will Robinson', lol.. (huge thing, about a foot tall, and cost me like $3.00. Still had batteries in it that worked!).

I also found a cool picture (looks like an oil painting, but its a print) of Jesus praying in Gesemmete park. Have that hanging in the bedroom.

<-- official Jesus freak :rapture:

Bill

lifejogger
January 14th, 2009, 04:49
Thanks for sharing you afternoon outing it is always fun to get out and just wander around to see what you can find. I will be praying for a complete recovery for your wife.

Love the repaint, inspiration can come from a lot of different places.

rayrey10
January 14th, 2009, 19:26
Glad to hear that you wife is doing so well. Nice repaint too. It gives a cool race car look. :applause:

srgalahad
January 14th, 2009, 21:51
The name may be familiar to some if you deal with hydraulics, fuel pumps or drag racing.

"In 2007 Tony Schumacher driver of the U.S. Army Top Fuel dragster captured his 4th consecutive Top Fuel Championship and 5th overall. Like 2006, Schumacher won in dramatic fashion in a come-from-behind victory. No other driver in NHRA Top Fuel history has won as many consecutive championships. Schumacher’s 7,000 horsepower engine uses only one brand of belts—Gates. The knowledge gained on the drag strip ultimately finds its way back into the belts Gates engineers and manufacturers for everyday cars and trucks."

"In 1996, Gates became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tomkins plc (http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=1064&location_id=526), ending 85 years of ownership by the Gates family. At the time of the transaction, Gates was the largest non-tire rubber company in the world. "

http://www.gates.com/index.cfm

Rob

OBIO
January 14th, 2009, 23:13
Took a look at the Gates site and the logo is what is on my tin sign, so now I know what it stands for. I am still going to hang it in my office as it is still a cool decoration.

OBIO