PDA

View Full Version : do you know the NEW IL-2 ? anyone??

heywooood
July 26th, 2013, 11:45
play the video and be....well - you tell me

http://il2sturmovik.com/

its a PR video, but I have heard its very nearly what to expect by the end of this year....in game

vonernsk
July 26th, 2013, 12:03
Looks great, but being a Scotsman, I wouldnae reach for ma wallet just yet. Lets get a little more verification o the man's veracity.

heywooood
July 26th, 2013, 12:21
I'm a Scot also laddie - and I do know these guys...but here I really just wanted to post about the vid...since I haven't figured that yet I just linked to their site - sorry to the mods here if that is not the right way to do it...remove if necessary.

for anyone who doesna know - 777 Studios (formerly Neoqb Rise of Flight) - has partnered with the best core artists of 1c Maddox to build the NEW Il-2 Sturmovik

Odie
July 26th, 2013, 12:23
I remember when the initial game came out years ago, it really pushed the edge on graphics for the period. If this is anywhere close to in-game it
looks like they'll have raised the bar once more.

heywooood
July 26th, 2013, 12:40
my understanding from those who were present at the closed beta this week is that - from this vid - the aircraft, the terrain (with bump mapping) the FM and DM and the lighting and shadows were from the game - much of the rest of this vid is CG enhanced. Typical of a press release promotional simulator or PC game distribution deal.

That said - I have been following their Forum developer updates - every Friday like clockwork, and they are building the real successor to Il-2 46

MS take note : this is how you improve on an iconic flight simulation :kilroy:

Naismith
July 26th, 2013, 13:02
Looks great, but being a Scotsman, I wouldnae reach for ma wallet just yet. Lets get a little more verification o the man's veracity.
Deep po-kets an' short erms. Canny lad. :applause:

Naismith
July 26th, 2013, 13:04
I'm thinking these must be cut sequences, else my PC will be dragged to its virtual knees. :isadizzy:

Dumonceau
July 26th, 2013, 13:06
play the video and be....well - you tell me

http://il2sturmovik.com/

its a PR video, but I have heard its very nearly what to expect by the end of this year....in game

Even if it is one tenth of that vid, I'm buying!! :jump:

heywooood
July 26th, 2013, 13:10
I'm thinking these must be cut sequences, else my PC will be dragged to its virtual knees. :isadizzy:

These are NOT cut scenes...the new Il-2 will have nae cut scenes lad - neither did original Il-2 nor Rise of Flight - it just isn't in the blood lines

@ Dumonceau - exactly

stiz
July 26th, 2013, 13:10
this is a better reprensation of it, proper in game video (from the dev diary http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/#entry14073 _

http://youtu.be/CFBl49lQdeg

however you guys might want to read dev update 23 .. some stuff is sure gonna ruffle some feathers

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/#entry13594

The whole reward system in the game is divided into categories:

1) Effectiveness Points
2) Levels (Ranks)
3) Medals/Decorations
4) Achievements (Badges and Insignia)

Effectiveness points are given for different sorts of actions that you perform in the game: takeoff, landing, completing a mission, damaging or taking down an enemy plane, destroying a ground unit or bailing out, etc. This score depicts your virtual life in details. Playing on Hard difficulty setting grants you the option to earn more of them, Normal mode gives less. These points index your overall skill and define your level.

Skill level shows your advance through the game. Obtaining a new level grants you an ability to unlock new modifications or a plane, until you get them all. This entire development system is pretty much typical for most games these days, it's popular and simple. You decide what plane and what mod to use. We know that a part of the community only flies fighters and attackers, other guys only stick to bombers - the choice is yours, anyways we're sure that each aircraft that we put in the game will be a great machine worth your time and attention.

Players will have one rank indicator for all their profiles while these profiles may have different levels depending on pilot's progress in German and Soviet campaigns. For instance, you may see a Rank 5 player meanwhile his level on the USSR profile could be higher than on the German one, and it would be shown on his badge.

Dumonceau
July 26th, 2013, 13:16
this is a better reprensation of it, proper in game video (from the dev diary http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/#entry14073 _

http://youtu.be/CFBl49lQdeg

however you guys might want to read dev update 23 .. some stuff is sure gonna ruffle some feathers

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/#entry13594

Now that vid is even more convincing! Damn!! The modelling, the effects of shadowing and light in the cockpit was just exquisite!!

heywooood
July 26th, 2013, 13:17
and all of this is early beta - regardless
the RoF model (if thats anything to go by and I think it is) is constant improvement and constant evolution

the earning of points to 'unlock' historically accurate field mods and weapon options is still being discussed - the exact manner of implementation has not been completely diagrammed by the developer as yet...

Ferry_vO
July 26th, 2013, 13:44
These are NOT cut scenes...the new Il-2 will have nae cut scenes lad - neither did original Il-2 nor Rise of Flight - it just isn't in the blood lines

RoF does have those terrible training videos, that really look bad compared to how the sim looks..

This new Il-2 looks great though, but like RoF it will probably bring a lot of systems to their knees if you want to run 'all sliders right' in the graphics department.

heywooood
July 26th, 2013, 14:04
RoF does have those terrible training videos, that really look bad compared to how the sim looks..

This new Il-2 looks great though, but like RoF it will probably bring a lot of systems to their knees if you want to run 'all sliders right' in the graphics department.

Not yours by the look of it...

I have a middle of the pack PC and I run RoF on fairly high settings - are you up to date in RoF?

...I don't count the training videos uuuff didn't think anyone used them - but I guess they count sort of as cut scenes - just not in the Mass Effect 3 kind of way - they aren't right in the middle of the simulation and you powerless to stop them except by use of the Esc key

Ferry_vO
July 26th, 2013, 14:19
I haven't played RoF in months, I should really install it again, see how it runs on my current system.

Naismith
July 26th, 2013, 15:35
Stunning! In that case I take back my comment on cut scenes. I still love IL2 1946 so I am sure I will love this.

Walter
July 26th, 2013, 16:16
Why must it be so expensive??? Haha

ViperPilot2
July 26th, 2013, 18:31
Wow...

I have IL-2 1946, and this is light years ahead! I really wonder though, like Ferry_VO, just how powerful a rig one might need to 'make it go'. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I rather have all of the aircraft (and their variants) available as part of the Sim just like 1946.

:applause:

MCDesigns
July 26th, 2013, 19:41
SOLD!

I have the entireIL-2 Sturmovik series, especially loved Pacific Fighters with it's mission building tools. used to watch some killer naval battles this way.

heywooood
July 26th, 2013, 21:44
Wow...

I have IL-2 1946, and this is light years ahead! I really wonder though, like Ferry_VO, just how powerful a rig one might need to 'make it go'. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I rather have all of the aircraft (and their variants) available as part of the Sim just like 1946.

:applause:

so you don't remember how long it took original IL2 to go from Sturmovik - to Forgotten battles to Pacific Fighters to '46...?

because Il2 '46 didn't just happen overnight - and original Sturmovik only had what - 6 planes? P39, Sturmovik, Yak1, Mig 3 Me109-e and I-16 and I-153?

so to be fair - even the King had no clothes in the beginning - dunno why people always remember it differently

heywooood
July 26th, 2013, 21:58
I haven't played RoF in months, I should really install it again, see how it runs on my current system.

yes you should - I think you might be surprised...

IanHenry
July 26th, 2013, 22:35
Rise of Flight is a wonderful sim, even on my old (i7, 920) computer, and I have faith in anything 777 studios produces, but I hope it's nothing like the Cliffs of Dover debacle, I feel a little let down by how the developers "walked away" from that before it was properly finished, and never achieved it's full potential.

Regards,
Ian.

heywooood
July 26th, 2013, 23:03
Rise of Flight is a wonderful sim, even on my old (i7, 920) computer, and I have faith in anything 777 studios produces, but I hope it's nothing like the Cliffs of Dover debacle, I feel a little let down by how the developers "walked away" from that before it was properly finished, and never achieved it's full potential.

Regards,
Ian.

CloD imploded...Oleg walked away just before release date...they NEVER fixed anti-aliasing...still broken, you have to install a utility SMAA or FXAA injector and STILL isn't more than a 2x or 4x which is nada

unbelievable debacle - 1c couldn't update their own flight sim..then you remember that MS flopped with Flight too, so much for FS11....

Dumonceau
July 26th, 2013, 23:57
then you remember that MS flopped with Flight too, so much for FS11....

Agreed, but M$ Flight flopped because M$, in blatant disregard of the Flightsim community, decided to turn it into an arcade game. Which was a pity, because frames and textures were actually quite good (as a basis to work on). But the arcade thing and the integration into steam ruined it.

That is of course, just MHO.

Dumonceau

heywooood
July 27th, 2013, 07:34
Agreed, but M$ Flight flopped because M$, in blatant disregard of the Flightsim community, decided to turn it into an arcade game. Which was a pity, because frames and textures were actually quite good (as a basis to work on). But the arcade thing and the integration into steam ruined it.

That is of course, just MHO.

Dumonceau

right - same as Cliffs of Dover...they made it pretty and arcadey, and then dropped it into Steam - with broken Anti Aliasing....

ThinkingManNeil
July 27th, 2013, 10:52
I have to confess that though I'm no longer much of a military simmer - for various reasons - I am a fan of the IL-2 series. I used to play Warbirds online, but when I began to hear what IL-2 was like I had to try it and I was not disappointed. To me there was no comparison when it came to the variety of aircraft, their level of detail, the flight dynamics, mission generation - all were at a substantially higher level. When I bought a Windows 7 PC a couple of years ago I was disappointed to find that IL-2/FB/PF wouldn't run it, so I had to track down a copy of IL-2 1946 down on eBay, which worked very nicely with my system, but I didn't go into the massive expansion for it that followed. When I first saw Cliffs of Dover I was blown away; just the cockpit lighting and detail alone impressed the hell out of me, but, despite having a fairly capable system, I found that my PC wasn't quite up to the task of running it, so it sits in its case on my shelf, uninstalled.

While I'm kinda happy to see that the franchise is still alive, I think I'm done with IL-2, so I doubt I'll be purchasing any further editions. I'll fiddle with 1946 now and then, but I'm happier in FSX and FS9...

N.

Lionheart
July 27th, 2013, 11:10

Same here. I could never get it to work. 3 bullets would shoot me down, and it would take a thousand bullets to bring down an enemy plane. I don't even want to re-try RoF. But this IL2 update looks pretty good. I just hope that Maddox will keep it flyable.

Bill

TheGrunt
July 27th, 2013, 11:55
RoF is absolutely one of the greatest sims ever made! It had a sluggish start, but at least from the first release of Iron Cross Edition (when I bought it) it has been working beautifully and evolving all the time. Weapon and field mods 777 added later on make every model really interesting.

I pretty much disagree about the 1000 bullets needed to drop enemy aircraft. You don't need that much, but it is extremely hard to hit effectively. First, those slow and old infantry machine guns in the planes were far from precise and second, few holes here and there to the fabric doesn't drop the kite. Instead you should try to aim to the area where pilot is or hit the engines and down it goes. Practice makes the master, and that really applies to RoF. It really isn't easy sim at least with some higher difficulty settings. AI works fine too.

Bjoern
July 27th, 2013, 12:23
I'll stick to 1946.

Skyhawk_310R
July 27th, 2013, 14:43
Am I the only one put off by the two pricing schemes? You can pay $49.99 for a "standard" game or $89.99 for a "gold" game. For the extra $40.00 you get two additional aircraft over the six already offered in both purchases. However, I'm not even sure that's the case. Because the language written is very interesting in that it says for the extra money you get "access" to the two additional aircraft which won't be in the game, but rather will be "available for purchase" off an online store.

Does that mean you're really paying the extra money just to have the game a few months earlier than others and to have a different graphic avatar given to you for your travels through the game's web forum, with the chance to purchase more aircraft that presumably won't be made available ever for anyone who didn't spend the extra money?

Is that serious! Do they think people really regard their money so cheaply?

If nothing else is offered for that near 45% higher price, then it's among the most misguided marketing schemes I've ever seen. When the lower cost game is available, does it really make sense you paid all that much more for a few extra months of use, eight aircraft (vice six) which may or may not cost additional money, and a different graphic by your name on a web forum?

Ken

heywooood
July 27th, 2013, 15:21
Am I the only one put off by the two pricing schemes? You can pay $49.99 for a "standard" game or $89.99 for a "gold" game. For the extra $40.00 you get two additional aircraft over the six already offered in both purchases. However, I'm not even sure that's the case. Because the language written is very interesting in that it says for the extra money you get "access" to the two additional aircraft which won't be in the game, but rather will be "available for purchase" off an online store.

Does that mean you're really paying the extra money just to have the game a few months earlier than others and to have a different graphic avatar given to you for your travels through the game's web forum, with the chance to purchase more aircraft that presumably won't be made available ever for anyone who didn't spend the extra money?

Is that serious! Do they think people really regard their money so cheaply?

If nothing else is offered for that near 45% higher price, then it's among the most misguided marketing schemes I've ever seen. When the lower cost game is available, does it really make sense you paid all that much more for a few extra months of use, eight aircraft (vice six) which may or may not cost additional money, and a different graphic by your name on a web forum?

Ken

the idea of supporting a new flight sim venture by pre-ordering is hardly new...the company gets a cash injection to help with development, determine interest in the product, repay initial investors what have you.
the idea of getting something in return is more recent.
in this case you get early access for standard and earlier access for a premium level purchase
I don't mind supporting this particular developer 777 1CGS because I am familiar with their work and with Jasons' integrity
I bought the standard for that reason (and I am not flush enough to afford the premium ATM)
No One is being forced to do this - No One will be ridiculed for NOT doing it - its a choice
should people be chastised FOR doing it?
I'll have early access to the most cutting edge WWII flight sim on the market - with a developer who lived and breathed original IL2 - and who wants to go on to
the Med, the Pacific, the Battle, and the rest of the GPW and has said so.
pre-ordering the standard for 50 bucks means I'll get it AFTER the premiums - so they can work most of the bugs out before I have to deal with them

Additionally - most of what I bought from RoF was during sales and promotions - $2.50 per plane is nothing
on the other point - there will be no aircraft that one person CAN get and another CANT - in BoS
all the pre ordering does is give early access - just as they have said.

ThinkingManNeil
July 28th, 2013, 04:27
Looks like IL-2: BoS isn't all our Russian friends have in mind... (http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/27/russian-developer-uses-aircraft-carrier-for-game-based-on-cuban-missile-crisis/)

N.

Bjoern
July 28th, 2013, 10:28
Looks like IL-2: BoS isn't all our Russian friends have in mind... (http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/27/russian-developer-uses-aircraft-carrier-for-game-based-on-cuban-missile-crisis/)

"Players take on the role of a Soviet military officer from decades past who is mysteriously transported forward in time to the year 2012 to find himself in a post-apocalyptic Russia still ruled by the Communist Party."

Seriously, 1C...?

Skyhawk_310R
July 28th, 2013, 10:35

N.

Well, I'm not sure I consider that a good premise for a game. Fortunately for all of human kind, Nikita Khrushchev became so alarmed at Castro's recklessness that when things simmered down, over the objections of Castro, the Russians not only took out the IRBM's that put the world on the brink, but also the tactical nukes that no one outside of Cuba and the Soviet Union knew about. Few, if any, people at time realized it, but the famous line "we mustn't pull on the ends of the rope too tightly," ended up making the odds of a true thermonuclear war between the Soviet Union and United States/NATO very unlikely.

As the song writer, Sting, wrote, "The Russians loved their children too!" For that reason, when a terrible series of mistakes in a Russian early warning system nearly put the war in motion a second time during the 1980's, Russian officers refused to give in and push the button -- again for the same reason!

And we are all much better for it!

Ken

Bjoern
July 29th, 2013, 04:46
Fortunately for all of human kind, Nikita Khrushchev became so alarmed at Castro's recklessness that when things simmered down, over the objections of Castro, the Russians not only took out the IRBM's that put the world on the brink, but also the tactical nukes that no one outside of Cuba and the Soviet Union knew about.

Chrushchev didn't cave in because of Castro. Kennedy simply agreed to remove his Jupiter IRBMs from Turkey and Italy, which, in conjunction with the withdrawal of the russian boomtubes, basically cleansed each side's doorstep of an immediate nuclear threat.