PDA

View Full Version : Scenery question

falcon409
July 25th, 2013, 06:14
I have run into a bit of a snafu with the Sherman Mun. scenery. All objects were placed with Instant Scenery V2 and by itself all seems to be fine except for one object(s). The grass I placed doesn't want to show except for when I have Instant Scenery loaded. While IS is active, it's everywhere, but If I shut down IS and reload FSX. . . .no grass anywhere. I have tried moving the grass "bgl" and it's texture to the FSX Addon Scenery folder, I've tried making a separate folder setup just for the grass and activating it in the Scenery Library, I've checked in IS to ensure that the "Allow autogen" box is ticked to allow the grass to show around the boundary boxes. . .nothing works. It only wants to be visible while Instant Scenery is in use. Has anyone else ever run into this?

Meshman
July 25th, 2013, 07:45
Still early for me...

IS displays through it's own processes within FSX, so any time something shows in IS but not FSX it generally falls to a pure FSX issue. Is the BGL (library container?) sitting in an active layer in the Scenery Library? Or is there another object/exclusion, etc that it inhibiting the ability of the grass to show?

It's been a good while back, but you might recall how some autogen wouldn't show on some photo work and it was the static plane model that was the culprit. The static pane needed to be scaled down to like 10%, but the bounding box of the original size was removing autogen.

Francois
July 25th, 2013, 08:34
Nothing to do with the scenery density level of the grass, has it?

falcon409
July 25th, 2013, 08:35
. . . . . .It's been a good while back, but you might recall how some autogen wouldn't show on some photo work and it was the static plane model that was the culprit. The static pane needed to be scaled down to like 10%, but the bounding box of the original size was removing autogen.
Yep, I remember that well. It was an airbase scenery and I had used Guy Diotte's objects which are "huge" and have to be scaled considerably....I think one airplanes bounding box actually covered half the base, lol. Nothing like that here though..a few static aircraft that are FSX default (Piper Cubs), and the custom scenery objects but they are set to allow autogen. The ADE file also has no excludes that would inhibit scenery objects.

Dimus
July 25th, 2013, 09:43
Just a thought but, since you are already using ADE for the AFCAD why don't you use ADE to place the objects too. They will certainly show. You just have to add them in the ADE object library first so that ADE can place them but it is a pretty straightforward procedure. Just ask if you run into trouble.

rdaniell
July 25th, 2013, 09:50
Just a thought but, since you are already using ADE for the AFCAD why don't you use ADE to place the objects too. They will certainly show. You just have to add them in the ADE object library first so that ADE can place them but it is a pretty straightforward procedure. Just ask if you run into trouble.

I use ADEX for everything. That way I only have to remember how to use one program. All you younger guys will understand this logic one of these days:icon_lol:

RD

falcon409
July 25th, 2013, 09:51
Yea, I hadn't thought about that but I need the grass placement to be pretty precise and within ADEX there's no way to accomplish that. I tried sizing a background image and never was able to get it sized perfectly. With AFX I just load it, add the coordinates and it's done. . .in ADE doing the same thing it was off by 10%....I came close by adjusting percentages, but that's not good enough. I need to be able to see what I'm doing in the sim to be sure and IS_V2 is the only way to accomplish that.:salute:

fxsttcb
July 25th, 2013, 10:25
Dunno if it will work good enough, but, for a little more precise placement of tiny stuff in ADE, I run FSX, Top Down View, get the plane close to the insert point, and zoom until the plane disappears.
Fences, posts, flagpoles, etc, usually still show as lines or crosses. Then slew by ticks to the exact point. Connect in ADE, center on aircraft. Then it's either insert the object, or, use a marker to note it's position...Don

Dimus
July 25th, 2013, 10:39
ADE has the ability to "connect" to FSX, a button on the top right corner. With FSX on and loading ORBXs BoB you can slew around your scenery and your exact location will be shown in ADE. You also have help reference lines you can draw to place your objects. Finally some trial and error will get you there. I have placed grass and other small objects with very good accuracy using ADE.

Finally a photo background for guidance can be placed accurately in ADE if you know the corner coordinates.

I know old habits die hard but in this case I really think it will work for you, especially if IC does not.

JoeW
July 25th, 2013, 12:42
Ed ..Try removing the bgl with the grass out of the scenery folder, start FSX, and exit, then move the bgl back to the folder where you had it. I have had this happen (Not with grass, but) before and sometimes just unloading the bgl and running FSX without it and the putting it back in the folder so it will" see" it again, usually works.
:icon_lol:

Timbohobo
July 25th, 2013, 19:15
If you have placed a lot of grass in the one .bgl, back it up first then try deleting 50% of the placements, if that fixes it, then you can just divide the placement file up (open up the bgl with BGL2XML, edit with notepad to make two files, then drop both XMLs onto the BGLcompiler found in your FSX SDK)

Its a known issue that sometimes if to many of the same objects are placed within a single file, it will not show, I know I have encountered it a few times...

TimH - Orbx

falcon409
July 25th, 2013, 19:20
Well, I've tried everything. Nothing works, so the scenery is released minus the grass.:salute:

anthony31
July 25th, 2013, 20:39
Caution!

There may be an issue with the model. It has to do with centre point of the model and any rotation it may have applied to it. I've found when making a model, if I have the axis of the model rotated then when I place it with IS it will appear OK, but when reloading the model will be rotated according to the axis rotation. It is possible the model has rotated upside down and is below the ground. Always important when making models to double check that the axis is not rotated within the model file.

Examination of the model using Model Converter X may provide more illumination. A screenshot perhaps of the model in MCX?

falcon409
July 25th, 2013, 21:16
Here it is Anthony, not sure what I should be looking for though. All appears fine and I've loaded and reloaded the scenery over a dozen times just today in an effort to correct the grass issue.