PDA

View Full Version : My First repaint (JEEP)

FSX68
July 24th, 2013, 10:09
It's not much, but I painted the Gary Burn's Willy's Jeep in Haze Navy gray to go with the new C117 (NAVY).
I know TUFUN has shown us his talents on loan from God so, I decided to see if he is the only one that can do this.

I wanted to let him and others know that I too can get inspired and try to produce something. I haven't posted the file as this is just me trying my hand at
repainting. I would of made the Army Uniform look Navy Kahki but for me it's a PITA. I'll get there.....I get there.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2n6ztav.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2ikek3s.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2n87jit.jpg

rdaniell
July 24th, 2013, 10:27
Way to go :applause:Butch! Now all the retired Navy fellows (as well as vets and active duty) here at the Outhouse can have a jeep in your colors.:icon29: There's just something to be said for having your own service branch's paint schemes.

RD

jankees
July 24th, 2013, 10:28
cool!

Bomber_12th
July 24th, 2013, 10:49
Very nice!

Speaking of which, for those who have an interest in Jeeps, or just a good restoration story, this is a must see: http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46628&hilit=Jeep Please take note of the restoration photos on page 4.

FSX68
July 24th, 2013, 11:09
Very nice!

Speaking of which, for those who have an interest in Jeeps, or just a good restoration story, this is a must see: http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46628&hilit=Jeep Please take note of the restoration photos on page 4.

That Navy jeep is really roached out. Well, it's been a few moons since it was in military service. Looks like there is another jeep along side.

Didn't know about the white windshield frame for VIP's. May have to do some tweaking on my repaint. The number on that Jeep looks to be hand painted.
I will see if I can replicate a U S N XXXXXX (number on the hood).

Bomber_12th
July 24th, 2013, 11:49
Yeah, its really an interesting story behind that jeep. The serial number had not been hand-painted originally, but after years of use the original stenciled number had all but completely faded away, so the owner (the same guy who drove it during his service in WWII), hand painted the serial number in later years (you can still see the original numbers on the right-hand side) - he obviously was very attached to this vehicle and keeping its history with it. As the story states, the previous owner had been assigned this jeep in 1945, while serving in the Solomon islands, and was able to purchase it surplus after the war ended (while still in the Pacific) and have it shipped home where he picked it up and had it the rest of his life.

The jeep, having been restored over the past year, has a level of detailing that makes it more authentic and accurate than what you typically see, and matches to a particular time in its original service (post-factory) - the tires, for instance, are period correct - the markings, Goodyear logo and tread cut are all per original WWII tires. The normal tires you buy for a jeep today will have the DOT government safety markings applied to them, where as the tires on this restored jeep come from a special short run of authentic collectors tires and don't have those modern markings.

Regarding the white windshield framing - it had been thought that they were painted white for officers and VIP's, but during the restoration of the jeep, and the through the amount of research that was done, there hasn't been any supporting photos or documentation (such as Navy service bulletins) found that would prove that was the case. So it was decided to paint the restored windshield framing the same gray as the rest of the jeep.

huub vink
July 24th, 2013, 12:07
Almost every thing starts with a first. Hopefully this repaint will be the first of many.

Cheers,
Huub

TuFun
July 24th, 2013, 12:35
Way cool Butch... never enough Jeeps. Give me a buzz, will help you with the uniforms!

Navy Chief
July 24th, 2013, 13:03
Very nice! Thanks for the USN paint. I owned a restored 1945 Willys MB. Had to sell it to pay a divorce lawyer, way back in 1999. Loved that jeep. Bought it on Vancouver Island, BC, in 94. With help of friend, we rebuilt the engine. Beautiful jeep. Had a replica 30 cal machine gun on a pedestal mount, with propane & 02 tank connected. Did not shoot bullets, but VERY loud. Fire would shoot out about 6 inches from muzzle. Also had M100 trailer, replete with canvas top to pull behind it. NC

TuFun
July 24th, 2013, 13:07
Very nice! Thanks for the USN paint. I owned a restored 1945 Willys MB. Had to sell it to pay a divorce lawyer, way back in 1999. Loved that jeep. Bought it on Vancouver Island, BC, in 94. With help of friend, we rebuilt the engine. Beautiful jeep. Had a replica 30 cal machine gun on a pedestal mount, with propane & 02 tank connected. Did not shoot bullets, but VERY loud. Fire would shoot out about 6 inches from muzzle. Also had M100 trailer, replete with canvas top to pull behind it. NC

Hey Navy Chief, do you happened to have any pics of your USN Jeep?

Navy Chief
July 24th, 2013, 14:52
Hey Navy Chief, do you happened to have any pics of your USN Jeep?

Will look to see what I can dig up.....NC

Update: Although I am sure I have pictures of it somewhere, (after looking in the house) I know they must be in storage. Sorry! NC