PDA

View Full Version : Western Digital to Launch 2TB Hard Drive This Week

hey_moe
January 13th, 2009, 17:51
What is the one thing that HDD manufacturers can do to stay ahead of SSD ? Exactly capacity. Etailer Czech Computer reveiled a Western Digital’s 2TB hard drive (Model: WD20EADS). Coming from Western Digital’s Caviar Green Series, this hard drive features 32MB cache and 8.9ms seek time, running at 7200RPM or 5400RPM. It’s expected to have four single-platter 500GB disks.
The retail price of Caviar Green is unknown yetit's predicted that it will be ranging between €160 and €180 (around $214 to $241) [via enpreview].

Lionheart
January 13th, 2009, 17:52
Dang!!!!!

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I want one, I want one, I want one.. dangit.. I just installed this 1TB on my rig... ARRGHHHHH!!!!

:banghead:

Bill

Wulf190
January 13th, 2009, 18:11
I don't mean to sound foolish, but why on earth would anyone even need a 1 TB drive unless they have a ton of files to back up or like to save movies on their PC? I still think a 500GB or 750GB drive is more then enough.

Lionheart
January 13th, 2009, 18:43
I don't mean to sound foolish, but why on earth would anyone even need a 1 TB drive unless they have a ton of files to back up or like to save movies on their PC? I still think a 500GB or 750GB drive is more then enough.

I filled up half of one side of my 1TB drive on my main computer, and 1/3rd of my external 1TB drive with FSX, FS9, and backup graphics files...

I dont know how or why I have so many files, but I do, and having a HD that I can put all that on is awesome...

Some people can get along find with a 320 gig HD.. Some can fill a 1TB in 2 weeks... Be it art, graphics, music, movies, FS, etc...

Bill

CG_1976
January 13th, 2009, 18:56
That would make a perfect Hanger drive and reserve scenery drive for my FSX,Fs9, X-plane.

cheezyflier
January 13th, 2009, 19:00
i remember doing autocad r14 on a computer with a 2 gig drive:kilroy:

MCDesigns
January 13th, 2009, 19:29
Dang, talk about defrag hell! :typing:

Dangerousdave26
January 13th, 2009, 19:55

I think I will be buying a 1 TB drive this weekend. My 250GB drive is almost full (33%) left. Plus I have another 120GB in my server that is almost full.

Price the new Hard Drives and you will see that the TB are not bad at all in price.

Dang, talk about defrag hell! :typing:

You got that right took 4 hrs to defrag yesterday 233GB

Odie
January 14th, 2009, 06:54
I have 2 80 gig HD's in my current gaming PC and I had to buy a 1 TB external to handle the music/photo/backup files to free up space on the main drives.

The new PC I just ordered has 2 one TB drives in RAID 0 config. Space is life !

hey_moe
January 14th, 2009, 08:47
Why be cheap.....just get a couple of these babies..lol....forget the defrag....I wonder how long it would take to format the bad boy.

Odie
January 14th, 2009, 09:52
Hey_Moe...got a feeling I'm gonna find out.....:mixedsmi:

Does Vista's defrag tool work okay or do I need to look for something else? I'm currently using XP's defrag on my present rig...the new rig is Vista.

Lionheart
January 14th, 2009, 10:03
The PC Aviator store has a cool Defrag tool I have been wanting to check out. They show a screenshot of its map, which shows you its progress. Its like a top down view of sectors in a disc shape. Looks pretty cool and highly recommended for FS rigs.

Bill

Henry
January 14th, 2009, 10:26
they said that about the 1 gig drive :icon_lol:
and 32 megs of ram
i must be getting old:help:
H

hey_moe
January 14th, 2009, 11:37
I have been using Diskeeper 2008 which I like and does a nice job for me. There are plenty of others on the market I am sure that works for others but for me DK has been fine.
Hey_Moe...got a feeling I'm gonna find out.....:mixedsmi:

Does Vista's defrag tool work okay or do I need to look for something else? I'm currently using XP's defrag on my present rig...the new rig is Vista.

Drake
January 14th, 2009, 21:23
2TB is impressive. Wonder how long before we see a 1PB drive?

Been using JKDefrag for defragging quite a while now.

Lionheart
January 14th, 2009, 22:20
Drake,

What is a PB?

I remember when that 1 Gig came out, lol.. The word 'gig' sounded hilarious.

Bill

EMatheson
January 15th, 2009, 07:37
How in all jiminy does a person need 2 Tb?
I have more room than I know what to do with in 100 Gb!
Currently, I have 1 bloated install of FS, alot of saved zips and installation files, a whole slew of utilities, and a lot of images sitting comfortably in 35 Gbs - leaving some 65 Gbs of free space on my hard-disk!

The PC Aviator store has a cool Defrag tool I have been wanting to check out. They show a screenshot of its map, which shows you its progress. Its like a top down view of sectors in a disc shape. Looks pretty cool and highly recommended for FS rigs.

Here's a link to get it free - and honest, too...
http://www.disktrix.com/UDFree.htm?gclid=CLSkl4qAkZgCFRg6awodKWCXmQ
Seems to be on the up-and-up...

waco
January 15th, 2009, 08:22
Speaking of derag: I've been using a older version of Disk Keeper Pro for a long while, since it runs circles around Windows native version of defrag. (Although I read somewhere that Windows version is a dumbed down version of Disk Keeper.) I recently started using Auslogics free disk defragger and it's faster than Disk Keeper and is just as good. I tried each against the other. Plus, Auslogic's defragger also has a registry defragger like Disk Keeper Pro.

Drake
January 15th, 2009, 08:57
Drake,

What is a PB?

I remember when that 1 Gig came out, lol.. The word 'gig' sounded hilarious.

Bill

Petabyte = 1,000 Terabytes.

GT182
January 15th, 2009, 15:56
i remember doing autocad r14 on a computer with a 2 gig drive:kilroy:

I was thinking the same thing Michael. Imagine defragging a 2TB drive. You could go on a weekend drunk and it'll still be defragging after you sober up. :costumes:

Lionheart
January 15th, 2009, 16:53
Petabyte = 1,000 Terabytes.

Dommo arrigato.. gozi mash-tah

<-- bows humbly

Man, if I had a 2 TB drive, I could have 1.5 of it for windows in my Mac, and have FSX and FS9 on it with no worries.. arrghh.. .

<--- I presently have FSX and FS9 on a external drive.....

Bill

idancesafetydance
January 15th, 2009, 19:28
Petabyte = 1,000 Terabytes. At this rate I think we'll be seeing 1Pb drives in about 1 and a half years or less. Seriously, my drive is 320 Gigs and I don't know what to do with the left over 100.

Henry
January 15th, 2009, 19:42
I was thinking the same thing Michael. Imagine defragging a 2TB drive. You could go on a weekend drunk and it'll still be defragging after you sober up. :costumes:
depends how much you drink
H
oh its finished allready:focus::focus:
LOL

Lionheart
January 15th, 2009, 20:35
depends how much you drink
H
oh its finished allready:focus::focus:
LOL

lolol....

:d