PDA

View Full Version : Ware Island, Alabama

rdaniell
July 22nd, 2013, 14:34
Based upon the interest in my Greenville, Alabama, scenery I've decided to upload my modified default FSX Ware Island. There is presently a minor anomally in one of the flatten polygons. If I can't get it straightened out, I will probably go ahead and upload it anyway. Maybe someone more talented using flattens will be able to fix it.

It is a private airstrip which sits in Lay Lake, Alabama. I used to fly out to it from Clanton, Alabama, quite often.

Be advised that this add-on will not work properly unless you have UTX installed.

RD

rdaniell
July 22nd, 2013, 15:04
Plan B: I can't even get the flatten polygons to show up on ADEX now. So here's my plan B for this scenery.

If anyone would like to have a crack at fixing the terrain anomaly that shows up on the far south east corner of the island, please p.m. me with your e-mail address. I'll send you the file to look at. Otherwise, I'm afraid I won't be uploading it. I just can't bring myself to upload a file that I know needs additional work.

RD

rdaniell
July 23rd, 2013, 14:28
A good friend has agreed to take on the ground work aspect of this scenery. When he gets through with sorting out all the different elevations, etc., I'm going to put all the objects back into their respective places. We'll then release it so that anyone who would like to can join us for a fly-in at an airstrip on an island in the middle of a river. Float planes are also welcome.

RD

Walter
July 23rd, 2013, 19:42
I had never heard of this airport until you mentioned it. Now I'm having a blast flying out of it with many different planes. Thanks for giving me a new place to have some FSX fun! :salute:

Cheers,

Walter

rdaniell
July 23rd, 2013, 19:59
I had never heard of this airport until you mentioned it. Now I'm having a blast flying out of it with many different planes. Thanks for giving me a new place to have some FSX fun! :salute: Cheers, Walter

You are welcome Walter. Hopefully within the next week or two, you'll be able to fly out of my updated scenery mod for this airport.

RD

falcon409
July 23rd, 2013, 20:56
Got me wanting to fly into it as well RD. Took an "Oldie but Goodie" out of the hangar and flew from Greenville up to the Island.

falcon409
July 23rd, 2013, 20:57
. . . .and of course the screens got jumbled in the upload process, lol

rdaniell
July 23rd, 2013, 22:03
. . . .and of course the screens got jumbled in the upload process, lol

He, he, I jumble my screen shots often myself. Looks like there is a fair amount of interest in this scenery. I must admit it is not your everyday ordinary destination. I'm partial to it because I have spent many a great Sunday afternoon flying out to it from Clanton in my Luscombe and later my Ercoupe. Actually, I've also flown out to it way back when I had my first Aeronca Champ. I took my PPL check ride at Clanton, Alabama. Lots of memories. Some of them include flying around with the owner of the island in his Stinson 108 on floats.

I've begun work on Prattville Airport in Prattville, Alabama. That's where I kept my very first airplane. It was an Aeronca Champ...N3547E. That airplane is included in LikSki's Champ package. Which btw works just fine in FSX. My final Alabama airport will be Wetumpka Airport. When I finish it, I will have all the airports modified in Alabama to which I have a personal connection.

I'm attaching a WIP of the Prattville main hanger/fbo.

RD

falcon409
July 24th, 2013, 05:11
Excellent RD. . . .I'll be picking that one up when complete. Just a side note. . .are you aware that you have a "Military Combat" parking spot at your Greenville scenery?:salute:

Dimus
July 24th, 2013, 06:18
WIP of the reworked and smoothened island:

Sorry Randy, I could not contain myself... I love this place!

Some rough edges and cliffs still need to be smoothened, and it will then be sent (probably tonight) to RD to put the objects back to where they are supposed to be and add anything he sees fit.

Matt Wynn
July 24th, 2013, 06:44
nicely done RD, and nice job Dimus! :salute:

rdaniell
July 24th, 2013, 06:46
Excellent RD. . . .I'll be picking that one up when complete. Just a side note. . .are you aware that you have a "Military Combat" parking spot at your Greenville scenery?:salute:

Yes...I have an AI Grumman Ag Cat that flies out of Greenville and that's its designated parking spot. I think it's named AC1. A medium general parking spot would have worked just as well.

RD

rdaniell
July 24th, 2013, 06:51
WIP of the reworked and smoothened island: Sorry Randy, I could not contain myself... I love this place! Some rough edges and cliffs still need to be smoothened, and it will then be sent (probably tonight) to RD to put the objects back to where they are supposed to be and add anything he sees fit.

Now I know why I didn't hear from you this morning...:icon_lol: :icon_lol:I'm glad you couldn't "contain" yourself my friend. That is really looking good.
I shall look forward to once again placing the scenery objects.

RD

rdaniell
July 24th, 2013, 06:58
I have almost finished updating my Sylvester, Georgia airport. This airport is vacant at the time. It is about 20 miles from Tifton, Georgia.
I thought it would be a good companion for Dimus' Tifton KTMA airport. As a matter of fact, his trailer is already there.

As I stated, it has no tenents right now. So if anyone is interested in an ag operation, I expect Worth County will lease it to you. There is no av gas on the premise so you'll have to fly over to Tifton for fuel. That's what the last ag operater did in real life.

RD

Dimus
July 24th, 2013, 13:37
The bulldozers are done. Now RD has to do some cleaning up and revamp of the infrastructure, maybe plant some more trees too:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2013-07-2500-18-44-10_zps8971f908.jpg~original (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/VDimus/media/fsx2013-07-2500-18-44-10_zps8971f908.jpg.html)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2013-07-2500-18-07-36_zps1b565dd2.jpg~original (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/VDimus/media/fsx2013-07-2500-18-07-36_zps1b565dd2.jpg.html)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2013-07-2500-19-37-98_zps33477f95.jpg~original (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/VDimus/media/fsx2013-07-2500-19-37-98_zps33477f95.jpg.html)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2013-07-2500-20-25-71_zpsb39d01b4.jpg~original (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/VDimus/media/fsx2013-07-2500-20-25-71_zpsb39d01b4.jpg.html)

Matt Wynn
July 24th, 2013, 13:42
Fantastic Job Dimus! and RD... better get that foliage back in :icon_lol:

rdaniell
July 24th, 2013, 15:07
Fantastic Job Dimus! and RD... better get that foliage back in :icon_lol:

Thanks Matt. I'm working on putting all the scenery objects back in place, including your golf cart. I'm also planting trees.

I'll post some screen shots when I get things somewhat in their proper places once again.

RD

orionll
July 24th, 2013, 15:24
I saw the airport and couldn't resist trying to make a quick photoscenery. Data available from the USGS National Geospatial Program. 1 meter/pixel (LOD15), color corrected, with blend and land/water masks. Here's the scenery as viewed in TMF Viewer:

http://i.imgur.com/DFDcvuM.png

Still needs autogen annotation, and the underlying island in-sim needs to be excluded, along with the airport and flatten re-done, but it appears that some people here have already done that. If you want to try my photoscenery, you can get it via Dropbox (http://goo.gl/3Uossc).

Matt Wynn
July 24th, 2013, 15:32
cheers RD, and Good Luck! looking forwards to it! :jump:

rdaniell
July 24th, 2013, 15:56
I saw the airport and couldn't resist trying to make a quick photoscenery. Data available from the USGS National Geospatial Program. 1 meter/pixel (LOD15), color corrected, with blend and land/water masks. Here's the scenery as viewed in TMF Viewer:Still needs autogen annotation, and the underlying island in-sim needs to be excluded, along with the airport and flatten re-done, but it appears that some people here have already done that. If you want to try my photoscenery, you can get it via Dropbox (http://goo.gl/3Uossc).

Thanks for the offer orionll ;however, at this stage of its development, I don't plan to make any further changes.

RD

rdaniell
July 24th, 2013, 16:41
I'm just about done with Ware Island. I hope to get it uploaded by Friday if not tomorrow. A big thank you:salute: to Dimus for his help on the project.

RD

MCDesigns
July 24th, 2013, 16:44
Nice work guys!!:applause:

Orion, being a photoreal fan myself, I went and grabbed your file, thanks. I really like that whole area for photoreal, will have to see what megascenery Alabama looks like now.

After checking out RDs posts and visiting the area, I really like it and did some flying in the area. I figured you would need a bigger spot to land at before and after heading out to Ware Island and really liked the look of Gragg Wade field, Chilton County Airport, which is just 1 mile from Clanton, so bascially a hop, skip and jump from Ware Island. so I did a quick imagery layout since the data was so good (30cm p/pixel). I like how close it is, the feel of the airport and the highway in front matchs the FS one, so traffic use it, kinda neat to watch. Plus I like the stream/river that runs by.

RD if you or anyone is interested, I can finish it up and post it.

http://imageshack.us/a/img11/458/ifzg.jpg

rdaniell
July 24th, 2013, 16:51
I uploaded my version of Clanton, Alabama, today. It's in the download section under what's new. Chilton County Airport is named Gragg-Wade.
Of course there is no photoreal scenery background as I don't know doodlie squat about photoreal.

RD

MCDesigns
July 24th, 2013, 17:01
I uploaded my version of Clanton, Alabama, today. It's in the download section under what's new. Chilton County Airport is named Gragg-Wade.
Of course there is no photoreal scenery background as I don't know doodlie squat about photoreal.

RD

Thanks RD, didn't realize they were one in the same, off to install and check it out. Thanks!!

rdaniell
July 24th, 2013, 18:10
Thanks RD, didn't realize they were one in the same, off to install and check it out. Thanks!!

You are welcome. I don't know what all is involved in "matching" a photoreal ground texture to a scenery but, I think it would be a great enhancement for the scenery if you can do that. I made some changes to the default tarmac. I took my private pilot's check ride at Clanton, Alabama, way back in 1976. Mr. Charlie Wade who is the Wade in Gragg-Wade was my instructor. He was a wonderful ole character.

I have a lot of wonderful memories from those days of flying around in Central Alabama.

RD

MCDesigns
July 24th, 2013, 18:37
I have a lot of wonderful memories from those days of flying around in Central Alabama.

RD

I can imagine RD, I have some fond memories of a small airport where I grew up also. When I saw this airport in the sim i wondered if you knew it well, guess I was right.

I started doing scenery back during CFS2 so to be able to fly over high res sat imagery is something I REALLY love (main reason i could never go back to FS9, poor resolution) and is usually the basis for any scenery I do. I have 330 gigs of photoreal airports all over the world like the one posted above with the intent that one day I will work on one, since the initial process like you see above is the really easy part, LOL. It does get much easier the more times you do it.

rdaniell
July 24th, 2013, 19:59
...returns to Ware Island for one last look see before uploading.

RD

rdaniell
July 26th, 2013, 09:42
...deviated our flight plan from Fort Rucker just a little bit. We decided to drop in at Ware Island to see how "Doc" was doing. Man! I am really enjoying this new purchase. Well actually it's a repurchase as I had it on my computer that crashed with yep..:pop4:..no backup. It's backed up now. I paid around $ 30.00 for it when I bought it the first time. I got it this time for a little less than $17.00.

I really find it hard to believe that I kept waiting hoping it would be on sale someday. And the waiting paid off.:applause:

RD