PDA

View Full Version : Retro Greenville, Alabama, Airport

rdaniell
July 22nd, 2013, 07:05
I have just uploaded Greenville, Alabama, Retro Airport. I don't expect there are many here who care a lot about an airport in Alabama but, I thought this would be a way to share the custom built scenery objects. Please feel free to download it and use the objects in your own scenery projects. Permission is granted via the readme. There are several screen shots in my thread: Luscombe N71633.

RD

falcon409
July 22nd, 2013, 07:40
RD, it's always enjoyable to fly into a new custom airport, no matter where it might be. Thanks for the upload and look forward to landing at Greenville.:salute:

Bjoern
July 22nd, 2013, 07:46
Not even a Wikipedia entry on this one. :icon_lol:

Should I ever get the urge to fly retro GA in AL, I now have a starting place.

Dimus
July 22nd, 2013, 08:21
Looks like I'll be flying to sweet home Alabama this evening.

Will be posting some pictures later.

Roger
July 22nd, 2013, 08:35
Thanks RD:ernae:

rdaniell
July 22nd, 2013, 08:49
BE SURE TO DELETE THE TRAFFIC BGL THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE GREENVILLE SCENERY FILE. It was compiled using TTools for FS9 and may cause a conflict with your other FSX traffic files.

I hope no one has experienced any difficulties, yet. I'm sorry but, I meant to remove it before I uploaded the file.

Thank you.

RD

falcon409
July 22nd, 2013, 09:00
Very nicely done RD, I especially like the "FBO" with the transparent windows (need to learn how to do that) and the interior being textured also. Nice touch. I took off from McGowan Field (sp?) so it was a short hop over to Greenville. No problem with the traffic.bgl and it's been removed. Thanks!!:salute:

MCDesigns
July 22nd, 2013, 09:05
Nice work RD!:applause:

Paul Domingue
July 22nd, 2013, 09:16
Where is the link? I'm always looking for Alabama scenery having lived in Eight Mile, AL for 20 years. Is there any good Alabama/Mississippi Gulf Coast scenery around for FSX?

Roger
July 22nd, 2013, 09:31
It's here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=113&linkid=16988

falcon409
July 22nd, 2013, 09:32
Paul, I downloaded from the SOH downloads. Just clicked on "Add-Ons Library" and it was right there.

rdaniell
July 22nd, 2013, 09:42
Very nicely done RD, I especially like the "FBO" with the transparent windows (need to learn how to do that) and the interior being textured also. Nice touch. I took off from McGowan Field (sp?) so it was a short hop over to Greenville. No problem with the traffic.bgl and it's been removed. Thanks!!:salute:

I'm glad you like it. The field you took off from is in Chapman, Alabama. Floyd McGowan died just a few years ago. He owned a really nice SNJ, Super Stearman, Great Lakes, and a Twin Beech. He was president of Rocky Creek Logging Company which was a subsidary of Union Camp Corporation which was the company I worked for when I lived in Greenville. He also was an inductee of the Alabama Aviation Association.

I've p.m.ed Rami and asked if he can remove the traffic bgl from the uploaded zip.

Thanks also to Roger, Dimus, and Michael for your encouragement.

RD

rdaniell
July 22nd, 2013, 10:09
Where is the link? I'm always looking for Alabama scenery having lived in Eight Mile, AL for 20 years. Is there any good Alabama/Mississippi Gulf Coast scenery around for FSX?

Paul, I lived in Alabama for around 15 years but, I've never heard of Eight Mile, Alabama. Do you know where Slap Out, Alabama, is?

RD

PutPut
July 22nd, 2013, 11:16
Downloading now. Move the Luscombe over a tad, looks like a great place for my Cessna 120!

Best, Paul

rdaniell
July 22nd, 2013, 11:59
Downloading now. Move the Luscombe over a tad, looks like a great place for my Cessna 120! Best, Paul

That will be great Paul as there was a Cessna 120 that stayed there for awhile. It was a really nice one too. Polished aluminum fuselague with Red strips and Silver dope on the wings.

RD

rdaniell
July 22nd, 2013, 12:02
Falcon409, the windows on the "FBO" were done using the components function of SketchUp. Same with the door, fire extinguisher, trash can, and sign.

RD

Butcherbird17
July 22nd, 2013, 13:28
RD,
You can use AIFP2 (AI Flight Planner 2) to convert those fs9 traffic files to fsx standard. I've used it to convert all the MAIW traffic files I use in fsx.

Joe

rdaniell
July 22nd, 2013, 13:42
RD, You can use AIFP2 (AI Flight Planner 2) to convert those fs9 traffic files to fsx standard. I've used it to convert all the MAIW traffic files I use in fsx. Joe

Thank you Joe. I have that program but, just haven't learned how to do the conversion yet. Since I only use my own AI traffic files in my FSX install, I haven't really tried too hard. My good friend, Dimus, converted the traffic file for me in the Millington Airport that I uploaded for FSX68.

RD

Paul Domingue
July 22nd, 2013, 17:13
Paul, I lived in Alabama for around 15 years but, I've never heard of Eight Mile, Alabama. Do you know where Slap Out, Alabama, is?

RD

Thanks for the scenery rdaniell. Eight Mile is wedged between Semmes and Pritchard and no I have never heard of Slap Out although I have been to Greenville several times. Do you know why Florida doesn't float out to sea?

Thanks Roger and Ed for pointing out the download.

Paul

rdaniell
July 22nd, 2013, 18:05
Thanks for the scenery rdaniell. Eight Mile is wedged between Semmes and Pritchard and no I have never heard of Slap Out although I have been to Greenville several times. Do you know why Florida doesn't float out to sea? Thanks Roger and Ed for pointing out the download.
Paul

You are welcome Paul. Slap Out is a little community over close to Lake Martin. Tradition has it that it got its name many years ago when there was nothing there but a little country store. When ask if he had a certain item and he didn't have it, the owner would always say that he was slap out of it.

Anyway that's what I was told when I lived in Montgomery.

No I don't know why Florida doesn't float out to sea...

RD

Dimus
July 22nd, 2013, 22:37
Very nicely done RD, I especially like the "FBO" with the transparent windows (need to learn how to do that)

Ed, a while ago I sent an email with MCX settings for transparency, shine and reflection. Do you still have it? Making shiny transparent windows on buildings is something I love doing. Let me know if you need help.

Now, Randy, you have received a visit from a Gulf Oil rep to discuss your fuel supply chain. I love this pump and the wheel chocks next to it!

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2013-07-2223-07-50-72_zps2d08eaf9.jpg~original (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/VDimus/media/fsx2013-07-2223-07-50-72_zps2d08eaf9.jpg.html)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2013-07-2223-08-42-17_zps6239d61f.jpg~original (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/VDimus/media/fsx2013-07-2223-08-42-17_zps6239d61f.jpg.html)

Paul Domingue
July 23rd, 2013, 08:05
You are welcome Paul. Slap Out is a little community over close to Lake Martin. Tradition has it that it got its name many years ago when there was nothing there but a little country store. When ask if he had a certain item and he didn't have it, the owner would always say that he was slap out of it.

Anyway that's what I was told when I lived in Montgomery.

No I don't know why Florida doesn't float out to sea...

RD

Because Georgia sucks.

Alabama joke.

Here is another, why did the chicken cross the road?

rdaniell
July 23rd, 2013, 08:23
Because Georgia sucks. Alabama joke. Here is another, why did the chicken cross the road?

I don't know why the chicken crossed the road but, please don't tell me....:icon_lol: For a person born and raised in South Georgia, moved to Alabama in 1974, escaped in 1987, and now lives once again in South Georgia, the answer to your first question would be: Because Alabama sucks.:kilroy:

RD

Paul Domingue
July 23rd, 2013, 08:26
I don't know why the chicken crossed the road but, please don't tell me....:icon_lol: For a person born and raised in South Georgia, moved to Alabama in 1974, escaped in 1987, and now lives once again in South Georgia, the answer to your first question would be: Because Alabama sucks.:kilroy:

RD

Why did the chicken cross the road? To prove to the armadillos that it could be done.

I love Georgia, it's one of my three favorite states, Vermont, Western North Carolina and Cudsu covered Georgia.

fxsttcb
July 23rd, 2013, 08:30
Ouch! lol...

Nice scenery Randy! :applause: I love those old pot hole fields. Makes for lots of fun puddle jumping in my favorite GA.
Small issue I have. My hangered planes have no textures. Obviously the models are intact. What library are they in? I think I can fix it if I know that. Otherwise I'll just replace 'em...Don

rdaniell
July 23rd, 2013, 08:58
Ouch! lol...Nice scenery Randy! :applause: I love those old pot hole fields. Makes for lots of fun puddle jumping in my favorite GA.
Small issue I have. My hangered planes have no textures. Obviously the models are intact. What library are they in? I think I can fix it if I know that. Otherwise I'll just replace 'em...Don

Don, I thought I had used the default FSX static airplanes from the airplane warehouse. I just opened the ADEX and discovered that I had actually used kb's static aircraft for FSX. Since there is no readme in the downloaded file, I hope he doesn't mind. Of course feel free to replace them with aircraft of your own choosing.

To all who have downloaded this zip: I don't have any problems with your making changes to it nor using the scenery objects in your own projects. I do ask that you not upload those changes or projects anywhere but here at the Outhouse.

RD

binarkansas
July 23rd, 2013, 09:25
Great Job, RD. This is definitely my kind of scenery. Just stopped by for a little gas on my way to Gulf Shores. Thanks for the Scenery and for allowing us to use your scenery objects!

fxsttcb
July 23rd, 2013, 09:31
Don, I thought I had used the default FSX static airplanes from the airplane warehouse. I just opened the ADEX and discovered that I had actually used kb's static aircraft for FSX. Since there is no readme in the downloaded file, I hope he doesn't mind. Of course feel free to replace them with aircraft of your own choosing.
Thanks for the quick reply. :jump: All I needed to do was enable my kb_static_aircraft_FSX folder. Dunno why I had it turned off.
I doubt there will be an issue, but, you may consider revising your readme, to point to the kb_static_aircraft_FSX.zip, so others can grab it. A chance to give credit too...Don

rdaniell
July 23rd, 2013, 09:47
Thanks for the quick reply. :jump: All I needed to do was enable my kb_static_aircraft_FSX folder. Dunno why I had it turned off.
I doubt there will be an issue, but, you may consider revising your readme, to point to the kb_static_aircraft_FSX.zip, so others can grab it. A chance to give credit too...Don

You're welcome Don. However, this mistake on my part is the biggest reason why I am hesitant to upload anything that I have done.

RD

fxsttcb
July 23rd, 2013, 11:58
However, this mistake on my part is the biggest reason why I am hesitant to upload anything that I have done.

RDI doubt anyone would have issue with an honest mistake. Fret not my freind, we all make 'em.
I recently resurrected an old FSX computer for testing, and have a default Acceleration installed in it. The only add-on is the one I'm testing for release, and, I still miss things. Until after uploading it...Don

rdaniell
July 23rd, 2013, 12:23
I doubt anyone would have issue with an honest mistake. Fret not my freind, we all make 'em. I recently resurrected an old FSX computer for testing, and have a default Acceleration installed in it. The only add-on is the one I'm testing for release, and, I still miss things. Until after uploading it...Don

I asked Rami to take the upload down until I can get around to redoing the ReadMe and make sure the Traffic file is gone.

UPDATE: The file is once again being uploaded. This time with a more thorough readme and NO traffic file.
Please Note: If you already have this file, there is NO NEED to download it again as there are no changes to the scenery itself.

RD