PDA

View Full Version : Marty

EasyEd
July 21st, 2013, 20:12
Hey All,

I've not been as active in this and other places lately as I have a new love! Had it for two weeks now and thought I'd share.

A bit of background. Music has always been like integral to my soul - I could not imagine a world without music. When I was younger my response to music was to dance. I did exhibition folk, square dance social dance and in the 80s when it was big swing dancing 3 4 and sometimes 5 nights a week. I taught dance at a junior college as well. I used to enter contests doing the lifts flips everything and won at least my share. Well I married somebody with no sense of rhythm and did get her square dancing. Along the way my kids got into music and I picked up the mandolin to play with my daughter - never good just passable at rhythm chop chords. Also a fair bit of harmonica (I have 7 of them). I also bought a gretsch projet which I love but am always "tied" to my amp (Bugera V5) with it which I found just became a bit too much of a drag - having to go into another room unheated in the winter to play by myself. Love that Gretsch though. Meanwhile I have been a youtube fanatic and have found incredibly good music I never knew existed. I could spend a few hours on youtube music when it's good instead of looking at a TV. I thank youtube for turning me onto some of the best music on planet earth. But at some point you have to say is this it? Youtube or a isolated room with an electric guitar? I decided to try buying an acoustic so I could play anywhere in the house.

The original budget was approx $500 and was intended for a Taylor GS Mini - nice guitar and I may buy one yet but I made a very very very serious mistake and went into the high end rooms (you know humidity controlled sliding glass doors) of the local guitar stores and with my limited very very limited abilities played everything. At the end of the day I liked Taylor but the high shimmery highs just were not my thing day in and day out, there were not enough Larrivee's to try but what a guitar (my next acoustic will likely be a Larrivee), there weren't enough Gibsons to try, there were no Guilds and that took me to Marty (in the pics) - the sound of a good Martin is awesome. Marty is never far away and I reach for Marty alot. Yeah he tripled my expenditure but I'd be toast (wife rules ya know) if I tried buying a 2 or 3 thousand dollar guitar. I can't even tell you how much more time I put in on this guitar than my Gretsch - not because it is better - I love both - but because it is so accessible. Yeah I'm still aannaallllyy careful about "hurting" it but it is always there - so my fingers are not on the keyboard in front of a monitor as much.

It does "steal" time from my photography but not from golf or dog work (my lab - she won't allow it). FS9 I think is now basically a winter thing.

Anyway I've no idea how many here are into music and/or instruments like the guitar but thought I'd share.

-Ed-

PS For the techies - Martin GPCPA4 RW meaning Grand performer (smaller than a dread) cut a way Performing Artist series 4 back and sides solid east indian rosewood top solid sitka spruce has fishman pickup (not aura) system.

PSS Sorry I had to turn everything sideways - the rules of this site allow wide but not deep.

aircav1970
July 23rd, 2013, 10:34
Great looking Martin Ed, Congrats on the new addition! I went to acoustics about 10 years ago myself, played with some local bands but eventually the arthritis in my shoulders and hands kept me from playing as much as I used to so I sold off my electrics, a Gibson ES-335 and a Gretsch Country Club along with the Roland JC-120 amp that was so heavy I could hardly lift it into the trunk of the car! Now I play a Yamaha APX series elec/acoustic through a Fender Acoustasonic amp that has chorus/reverb built into it. Just recently I bought a Klema custom made jumbo acoustic by a Chech luthier named Martin Klema not because I needed a new guitar but I just love the way it sounds and I don't have to plug it in. I'm sure that your new Martin will give you many hours of happy pickin'!

EasyEd
July 25th, 2013, 19:00
Hey All,

My son has been looking at an APX Yammy. It would sever him well I've no doubt. Your jumbo looks great I may well get one eventually myself - likely a Martin J40 but no way on earth I can justify spending the $3500 it would take. Meanwhile this guitar and maybe a GS Mini sometime or I already started scheming on buying my wife a Larrivee parlor - wonderful sounding that I might get to play. Bout the same or a bit more cost than what I bought. Is your Klema sitka rosewood or something else? No matter what keep playing!

-Ed-

aircav1970
July 26th, 2013, 10:59
Ed,I can highly recommend the Yamaha APX guitars however,I would look for one of the older model APX-5 or APX-4A guitar as opposed to the newer APX 500's, I just think the quality was better back then. My Klema has a solid Sitka Spruce top with Mahogany back,sides and binding. It also has abalone inlay rosette around the sound hole. Great choice in the Larrivee guitars,they sound great and are outstanding quality. Martin Jumbo's are excellent also but if you're going to spend that kind of money on a guitar I'd definetly find a music store that has a bunch of different guitars to try,the Gibson Hummingbird,Maton Tommy Emmanuel guitars or the new Guild Doyle Dykes Signature models would have to be in consideration at that price range. Anyway,enjoy the new Martin and if you do get a new "hi-dollar" axe please show it off here! I always like to hear opinions on what everyone is playing,Gary