PDA

View Full Version : Any Hope for a Fatal Error Recovery

Deacon211
July 20th, 2013, 16:42
Hey guys,

I was running a virus scan and simultaneously tried to launch FSX through REX.

I got the first of a series of fatal exception errors. After that, nothing I did corrected it.

I suspect that the big reinstall is on the horizon. But, being only a month or two away from a new computer, I'd hate to have to reload everything from scratch.

Is there any chance of a file repair utility out there somewhere....figured I'd check before I start uninstalling.

Thanks in advance!

Deacon

skyhawka4m
July 20th, 2013, 16:46
you cold try setting your computer back a couple days in history, called a system restore....pick the most recent date and let it do its thing. I've done this and it has worked.

Paul Domingue
July 20th, 2013, 16:48
Oh that's a big No No! Did you try a system recovery? Edited: Yea what skyhawka4m said.

William Njurmi
July 20th, 2013, 21:22
Hold your horses, if You are running Win7, check your event log. Just yesterday out of a blue sky I started to have crashes in FSX and believe me I was sweating cold sweat as I just two weeks ago had a full reinstall to a dedicated hard drive. Now I know that it takes about a week to get 270 gb's of addons back in place.

Anyway, back to yesterday. In the event log I immediately noticed that A2A Accu-Feel module had caused the crash, I uninstalled it and got Fsx running without problems. Of course I now have to suspect, that there is something wrong somewhere deeper (simconnect, directx or whatever) but at least I can keep on flying.

edit: A couple of times in the past I had a successful FSX rescue via the repair function.

Paul Domingue
July 20th, 2013, 21:39
There is a quick test for that. Set Disabled<disabled> to True in the dll.xml file for A2A Feel and AccuFeelMenu.
</disabled>

dhasdell
July 20th, 2013, 22:17
Oh that's a big No No! Did you try a system recovery? Edited: Yea what skyhawka4m said.
System restore and system recovery are not the same thing: restore takes you back to a restore point, as skyhawka4m said, probably losing very little, but recovery is a full back to factory settings affair.

Deacon211
July 21st, 2013, 04:56
Ooooooooooh, you guys so saved my bacon!

I had a system restore point on Wednesday and restoring it worked like a champ. I can't begin to thank you enough! You saved me hours and hours of reloading and reconfiguring.

:salute:

Deacon

skyhawka4m
July 21st, 2013, 05:17

I had a system restore point on Wednesday and restoring it worked like a champ. I can't begin to thank you enough! You saved me hours and hours of reloading and reconfiguring.

Deacon

dhazelgrove
July 21st, 2013, 05:24

Deacon

I'm assuming that you're immediately going to make sure everything is alright and then you're going to create another restore point -- aren't you?

Dave

Deacon211
July 21st, 2013, 11:27
I'm assuming that you're immediately going to make sure everything is alright and then you're going to create another restore point -- aren't you?

Dave

Well, I didn't get that far.

The only thing that I had loaded the past few days was the Warbirdsim P-51K/Bf-109K, which was the thing that I was hoping to fly when I started getting the errors. Although I had had at least three successful flights in the 51 and 109 before it began to crash in the first place, when I reinstalled the package post-restore, I began getting the errors again.

So, I re-restored and FSX worked fine.

I haven't tried to re-reinstall the 51/109 package yet again. I want to see if it is just a coincidence, since I flew the 109 several times with no issue. I can't figure out why the 109 suddenly broke FSX not just for itself, but for all planes?

Anyway, at least I can fly most things, at least for now. My new PC is not that far off. I may save the 109 (if FSX continues to behave) until I get my new system.

Deacon