PDA

View Full Version : Success! EA-6B landing

mfitch
July 20th, 2013, 16:04
After touch and go practice at PHNL I figured out the appropriate power settings and controls for a stabilized approach. The photos and video show the final results.

http://youtu.be/UHeDlkhwIck

Daveroo
July 20th, 2013, 18:11
nice!!

maikchaos
July 20th, 2013, 18:12
Not bad for a start :jump:
The EA6-B is a bit tricky to land at carrier, if you do not correctly lined up with the carrier it tends to flip over, as you show in the vid.

Was that replay or direct recorded with Fraps? I still did not managed to record a video with Fsrecorder at which the carrier was at the correct position :tgun2:.

Navy Chief
July 20th, 2013, 18:49
​Nice trap! NC

mfitch
July 20th, 2013, 19:36
Not bad for a start :jump:
The EA6-B is a bit tricky to land at carrier, if you do not correctly lined up with the carrier it tends to flip over, as you show in the vid.

Was that replay or direct recorded with Fraps? I still did not managed to record a video with Fsrecorder at which the carrier was at the correct position :tgun2:.

The recording was with FRAPS during the trap (no replay). I edited it with Adobe Premiere which I have through work.

Yes, I need to work on getting it lined up better. I was practicing stable approaches and used the carrier as a serious test.

Ian Warren
July 20th, 2013, 19:46
Anything with an aircraft carrier involved works for me :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Navy Chief
July 21st, 2013, 04:40
I enjoy flying carrier ops with the Intruder and the Prowler because of their speed brakes. Those speed brakes (for me, at least) really help control airspeed on final approach to the ramp! NC

mfitch
July 21st, 2013, 20:55
According to my father-in-law who started his Navy career in the back of EA-6B's, they always land with the "boards" out. I believe this is about the need for higher engine power allowing faster spool up time for power increase if needed.

maikchaos
July 22nd, 2013, 01:40
According to my father-in-law who started his Navy career in the back of EA-6B's, they always land with the "boards" out. I believe this is about the need for higher engine power allowing faster spool up time for power increase if needed.

Correct :wavey:

If you need more power, it is always faster to retract the speedbrakes then pushing the throttle forward to give more thrust. Precisely because of the spool-up time of the engines.
Unfortunately, for many aircraft in FSX this does not matter, the available power is too fast, because the engines spool-up is much too fast in sim. A aircraft where it is well implemented would be for example the Lotus-Sim L39 Albatros.

Anything with an aircraft carrier involved works for me :cool:

Carrier-ops work for me also included the VLSO, ILS.
The only thing that does not work is a replay where I land on a moving aircraft carrier. With the FSX instant replay AI traffic is not displayed. With FS Recorder the carrier is in the replay always in the wrong position, that is further forward than when in my landing. Can someone please explain what needs to do is make it work properly?