PDA

View Full Version : Want FSX on SSD

Pepere
July 20th, 2013, 15:24
Hi all. I want to add an SSD drive and but all of FSX on it. Is there a program that will move FSX without having to reinstall or am I just wishing?

David

Firekitten
July 20th, 2013, 16:02
Fraid its a reinstall time... :S but sometimes its worth doing to clear out unused content no longer needed like old gauges or effects. Good plan though! SSD Fsx... quick!

heywooood
July 20th, 2013, 16:04
Hi all. I want to add an SSD drive and but all of FSX on it. Is there a program that will move FSX without having to reinstall or am I just wishing?

David

FSX is, as you know, fickle...to be polite - so yes - you have to re-install it

I have it on an SSD and it is worth the trouble (maybe) as long as the rest of your rig is above average....

I say maybe because I do not know the footprint of your FSX - mine is nearly 80GB

Kiwikat
July 20th, 2013, 16:16
Yes you can move FSX to SSD without having to reinstall everything. However, it causes issues for me when I actually wanted to reinstall it in order to get ready for Orbx Global. Use it as an opportunity to clean out stuff you don't use. It is amazing how fast a lean FSX loads.

Pepere
July 21st, 2013, 05:31
Ya - Reinstall... Thanks for the advice...

David

DaveWG
July 21st, 2013, 06:21
I had my FSX on a separate HD (drive "E"). When I installed the new SSD, I simply made that one drive "E", and the old HD drive "F" then copied FSX over to the new SSD. Worked a treat.

Bruce Thompson
July 21st, 2013, 07:06
Seagate have a programme that allows you to clone a drive, I installed a SSD and cloned my main C drive to it without a problem.
It should work for FSX, but I think the I would take the time to do a full re-install of FSX and dump any old stuff no longer required.

fxsttcb
July 21st, 2013, 08:34
If you have FSX on the same drive as Windows, and are adding the SSD for FSX, it can be easily moved.
Flight 1 has FSX/FS9 Registry Repair Tool (http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library) to correct the Registry's addresses after the move.
Copy/Paste it, in it's entirety, to the SSD. Run the repair tool.
After the Registry is repaired, and the new location is verified to perform, delete the original, or, better yet, keep it as a recent back-up.

Any *.cfg or other files that reference add-ons that are not located within the FSX main folder, will need those addresses corrected if their drive letter is changed.

If you are replacing the Windows and FSX drive, a reinstall is best. I've tried many cloning tools and have had limited success, so, a clone may work...may not.

My new rig got a fresh install of FSX Acceleration, but, a complete copy from my old PC was pasted on top of it. Viola! Nothing lost.

Other files you may want to preserve(Win 7 locations):
fsx.cfg and GrantedRewards.BIN, {C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX}
Your control settings = Standard.xml {C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls}
Logbook.BIN and flight plan files {C:\Users\User Name\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files}
scenery.cfg {C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX}