PDA

View Full Version : Substance Designer 3...

Firekitten
July 19th, 2013, 04:22
Hey folks, anyone using Substance Designer 3 for rendering/mapping/texture work? Normally quite pricey graphics software, but I've spotted it in the steam sale and I'm considering picking it up, any idea of its use with fs texturing?
Rachael

Bjoern
July 19th, 2013, 07:28
Doesn't look like it'd be of much use for creating MSFS textures.

Stick with GIMP or PS.

Firekitten
July 19th, 2013, 08:48
I'm not so sure... it works WITH Gimp or PS in a life lead system to the model, and you can create difuse, spec and normal maps on the fly from the 3d model source. From a decelopment standpoint... its incredibly tempting, and its the peak of current texture art software. I can't see how it couldn't be made to work with fs design, I'm not thinking of it for repainting, but actual texture development and design during a model build process.

hairyspin
July 19th, 2013, 11:49
I see what you mean, very tempting! If it works with both the versions of Max and Photoshop you use it could make texture creation and baking very productive. :jump:

Just looked at a review and this jumped out at me:-
Substances can also be used in 3ds Max and Maya to create tileable procedural textures

Ohhhhh!

It doesn't do away with the need to UVW map, but I wish I had some spare cash right now!

roger-wilco-66
July 19th, 2013, 12:44
Sounds like a really interesting way to alter the old workflows of generating texture maps. I'll test that in the next few days! Thanks for the h/u, firekitten.

Cheers,
Mark

Firekitten
July 19th, 2013, 13:01
Full function 30 day trial on their site, and its currently £35 in the steam summer sale till the 22nd, I'm tempted myself...

MCDesigns
July 19th, 2013, 14:00
Looks pretty useful, will have to check it out. Thanks for the HU